UK's Prince Harry promoted to captain after 5 years of service

News_Editor

UK's Prince Harry promoted to captain after 5 years of service

2011-04-17 08:30:03 GMT+7 (ICT)

LONDON (BNO NEWS) -- Britain's Prince Harry has been promoted to the rank of Captain within the Army Air Corps after completing five years of service in the armed forces, officials said on Sunday.

Clarence House made the announcement in a statement issued on late Saturday evening, saying the prince would now be known as Captain Harry Wales in the military. It said he was also awarded his Apache Badge on Thursday after he completed his 8-month Apache Conversion to Type (CTT) Course.

"Prince Harry is now qualified to fly the aircraft without an instructor and has progressed to a further eight month weapons handling course in order to become a fully operational Army Air Corps Pilot," the statement said.

Clarence House said the timing of Prince Harry's promotion to Captain and his completion of the Apache CTT course are "coincidental." It said the course included ground school training, day and night flying, as well as simulator training.

Prince Harry will now progress to the Apache Conversion to Role course where he will learn to operate the aircraft and its weapons systems in a variety of challenging operational scenarios. The Prince will be based at Wattisham Airfield in Suffolk and undertake a section of the training in the United States of America.

Prince Harry, 26, is currently third in the line of succession to the thrones of 16 independent countries, including the United Kingdom. He follows Prince Charles and Prince Williams, who is set to marry Kate Middleton later this month.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-04-17

Prince Harry will now progress to the Apache Conversion to Role course where he will learn to operate the aircraft and its weapons systems in a variety of challenging operational scenarios.

This is good for what? Why not learn something useful.

Perhaps my (removed) post was misconstrued - so just to make my opinion clear:

If Harry was not a member of the (British) royal family he would be a footsoldier...

This is not news - he is inevitably going to rise in the ranks, regardless of his true potential. Just like his father, and many other 'connected' figures.

Damages the reputation of a once formidable army more than anything else.

If Harry was not a member of the (British) royal family he would be a footsoldier...

This is not news - he is inevitably going to rise in the ranks, regardless of his true potential. Just like his father, and many other 'connected' figures.

I think his father never rose higher than the rank of captain!

Why? Kings and princess have always been in charge - for thousands of years. He has done the training, passed the tests and course, and done the service time (he even had a major falling out with the Government when they rerouted his Iraq hot-zone posting (after a press leak alerted the world and made him a prime target - he only agreed in the end as it became obvious the leak caused danger to his fellow soldiers). I think he has deserved his position - much more so than many upper crust people in the British Army's history - where your name guaranteed ranks or commission - and gave us mistakes such as the Charge of the Light Brigade and the Jallianwala Bagh Massacre etc.

Why? Kings and princess have always been in charge - for thousands of years. He has done the training, passed the tests and course, and done the service time (he even had a major falling out with the Government when they rerouted his Iraq hot-zone posting (after a press leak alerted the world and made him a prime target - he only agreed in the end as it became obvious the leak caused danger to his fellow soldiers). I think he has deserved his position - much more so than many upper crust people in the British Army's history - where your name guaranteed ranks or commission - and gave us mistakes such as the Charge of the Light Brigade and the Jallianwala Bagh Massacre etc.

And who do you think was behind the press leak? The pampered British royals always do a stint in the armed forces even if they are clearly not cut out for the role. Remember prince Edward who was ordered by his dad to join the paras even though it was obvious that he was hardly para material. 'Make a man of you boy!' He only lasted a few weeks as i recall, before he cried off and went back to his natural role as Andrew Lloyd Webber's tea boy. The idea that any of the royal princes would be seriously put 'in harms way' is laughable. They do their stint purely for the benefit of gullible souls who believe all this Hans Christian Anderson nonsense that they are the same as the rest of us. Although in Harry's case he might be an exception to this rule as he is not really a 'Royal' is he.

And who do you think was behind the press leak? The pampered British royals always do a stint in the armed forces even if they are clearly not cut out for the role. Remember prince Edward who was ordered by his dad to join the paras even though it was obvious that he was hardly para material. 'Make a man of you boy!' He only lasted a few weeks as i recall, before he cried off and went back to his natural role as Andrew Lloyd Webber's tea boy. The idea that any of the royal princes would be seriously put 'in harms way' is laughable. They do their stint purely for the benefit of gullible souls who believe all this Hans Christian Anderson nonsense that they are the same as the rest of us. Although in Harry's case he might be an exception to this rule as he is not really a 'Royal' is he.

I suggest that you read up a little before you reply to a post.

Prince Edward was in training to be a Royal Marine and not a member of the Parachute Regiment.

His Father, Prince Phillip was a serving member of both the Greek and British Royal navies and served with distinction in the 2nd world war.

Prince Charles originally joined the RAF and qualified as a pilot then transferred to the RN where he served on a guided missile destroyer and 2 frigates before assuming command of a minesweeper. He also qualified as a helicopter pilot.

Prince Andrew joined the RN and learned to fly fixed wing aircraft with the RAF and then became a helicopter pilot with the RN serving in the Falklands war with distinction.

Prince William is a fully qualified helicopter pilot on Sea Kings with 22 Sqn RAF flying rescue missions from RAF Valley.

Prince Harry is a serving soldier who has spent a fair amount of time in the army in one of the most hazardous war zones the the British military has been in for many years and from what I have read he was respected and liked both by his commanders and also by the troops he commanded.

May I ask about your own personal service in the military which I am sure surpasses my 25 years in the RAF and of course is far more the the Royal Princes exploits.

Edited by billd766

Billd, You say it well, go back one further generation, and GeorgeVl and his family stayed in London and refused to seek safety in Canada, They regularly visited victims of the blirz, and Princess Elisabeth was an army driver. Yes, our Royals have privilege, but it is not served up on a plate, they have to earn it.

Billd, You say it well, go back one further generation, and George Vl and his family stayed in London and refused to seek safety in Canada, They regularly visited victims of the blitz, and Princess Elisabeth was an army driver. Yes, our Royals have privilege, but it is not served up on a plate, they have to earn it.

Thanks Anterian

Whilst they have privileges they are also in the media spotlight 24/7 which must be far worse than being in the military.

I admire the British Royal Family. At their best, they are really great and at that worst, they are just very, very human.

Harry has paid his dues and he has been promoted. Congratulations to him and to the countries they represent.