Building In Ratchaburi

ratchabuild

Hi I am about to start building a house in ratchaburi in december and wondered if anyone could recommend a good builder or team of builders. Also anyone to oversee such a project. Any other advice on materials and methods of construction, or pitfalls to avoid would be most welcome. I have read every thread and blog I can find on the subjects but feel there is much more out there.

The house will be a relatively small and simple bungalow of two beds only. But with a good sized lounge and a big master bedroom with ensuite and a good sized kitchen. Any advice regarding any aspects of the building process would be most welcome.

Thanks

in anticipation

Are you building in the actual 'muang' Ratchaburi, or outside the city somewhere in the province?

I have had a similar project built - 2 beds, lounge, kitchen in the sticks outside Photaram, Ratchaburi, 20 km North from city. Since moving here full-time last year, we have added an out building of garage, Thai (frying) kitchen and bog/shower built. Mistake was not adding at least outside kitchen from the start.

I would definitely advise doing an outside kitchen if you do any home cooking of the (fried) Thai variety. The lack of cooking smell and grease inside your lounge, bedroom etc is well worth it.

We used a team of part-time builders from our 'own' village. I feel sure by asking around the area you are building in that you will find people to do the job.

Our deal was that the builders told us required quantity, we went out and bought all the materials, (local Ratchaburi builders materials merchants plentiful, you can choose the quality, merchant delivers) and the local lads built. Labour charges last year were 250 baht/day for unskilled workers, and 300 baht/day for skilled carpenter, plasterer / foreman. We had a team of four working. They were reasonably quick, very careful, but had odd days off to tend their rice fields, go to village weddings, tamboon-baans, funerals etc. This is Thailand, after all. :o

We were very happy with the deal, we chose top grade cement, wood, etc, and the lads were happy getting cash in hand once a week.

We also used (and are still using) a top-flight carpenter / cabinet maker in Photaram to make beds (teak) and fitted wardrobes. Not cheap, but excellent quality. If you PM me, I'll let you have his phone number.

Presume you speak Thai, or have a spouse who does?

Good luck with it!