Opinion Polls Show Pheu Thai Still Ahead

webfact

Opinion polls show Pheu Thai still ahead

By The Nation

30156513-01.jpg

The Pheu Thai Party still leads the Democrat Party in party-list votes across the country for the July 3 general election, but not in Bangkok, according to Dusit Poll's second opinion survey released yesterday.

The poll was based on responses from 4,694 people across the country from May 23-28.

Pheu Thai continues to lead the ruling Democrats by about five percentage points. Of the respondents, 43.16 per cent said they would vote for Pheu Thai in the party-list system and 37.45 per cent said they would vote for the Democrats, while 7.08 per cent have not decided yet.

In Bangkok, the Democrats were ahead of Pheu Thai in a neck and neck race with 38.88 per cent to 35.46 per cent, and 11.87 per cent undecided.

Meanwhile, an Abac poll showed most respondents agree that the populist polices of political parties would be no use if the country remained torn by political conflicts.

Of the respondents, 74.8 per cent said policies on how to restore the country's unity will be the deciding factor in their choice of the party they vote for; 68.7 per cent said buying votes would help bring election victory to political parties; 68.7 per cent said there was vote-buying in their constituencies and 29.8 per cent said the money offered to buy votes was between Bt500-Bt1,000.

Following were the responses to questions about the policy promises of parties, if society remained torn by violence and conflict:

- 67 per cent said raising the minimum wage to Bt300 per day would of no use if Thais remained embroiled in conflict

- 69.6 per cent said zero-interest home financing would be of no use if conflicts continued.

- 83.6 per cent said it would be of no use if a good man with a moustache becomes Opposition leader but conflicts continued.

- 65 per cent said a free-education policy would be pointless if violence and conflicts continued.

- 72.5 per cent said a competent PM would be helpless if violence and conflict continued.

- 74.1 per cent said bringing high-speed trains would bring no benefit if conflicts remained.

- 58.6 per cent said an anti-drug campaign would achieve nothing if Thais continued to quarrel with each other.

- 66.3 per cent said economic growth would be negated by conflicts.

The poll had 2,258 respondents from 17 provinces across the country from May 25-28.

Abac Poll director Dr Nopadon Kannikar said Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva and Pheu Thai prime ministerial candidate Yingluck Shinawatra should reveal their vision on how they can bring about the country's unity as they are likely to be the next leader.

He also called on political parties to review their election campaign policies and focus on bringing back unity among Thais.

Meanwhile, the Democrats beat the Pheu Thai as the party that got the best news coverage on the mainstream television prime time, according to a survey result released yesterday.

Abac Poll revealed its "Fact Findings" research on the coverage during mainstream television prime time in the initial period of the election campaign.

The research was conducted on mainstream television stations Channel 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 and ThaiTV during the morning news, mid-day news, and evening news, including the late-night news from May 22-27. A total of 22 parties got news coverage.

The results found that the Democrat Party was the most featured on the news - 271 times, followed by the Pheu Thai Party with 264 times, and Bhum Jai Thai third at 91 times.

The Chart Pattana Puea Pandin Party came fourth with 68 times. Chart Thai Pattana was fifth with 61 times and the Matubhum Party followed with 44 times. Rak Prathet Thai Party and Rak Santi Party were tied at 35 times, Social Action Party figured 25 times and New Aspiration 21 times.

The Democrat Party got the most positive coverage - 336 minutes and 03 seconds, followed by Pheu Thai - 296 minutes and 60 seconds.

Bhum Jai Thai Party was far behind in third place for positive news with 42 minutes and 33 seconds. Matubhum Party was fourth - 38 minutes and 08 seconds. Chart Thai Pattana Party was fifth - 33 minutes and 35 seconds while Rak Prathet Thai was sixth - 31 minutes and 28 seconds. Chart Pattana Puea Pandin Party got 30 minutes and 22 seconds of positive coverage followed by New Aspiration Party in eighth place at 19 minutes and 21 seconds.

Bhum Jai Thai Party got the most negative coverage - one minutes and 42 seconds - followed by Matubhum Party with one minute and 33 seconds.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-05-30

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to ask Yinglak about the minimum 15,000 baht salary guaranteed for degree holders.

Is this just for new applicants?

Is this to be a law covering both the private and state sectors?

What about the millions of employees currently earning less than 15,000 baht? Are they all going to see their salaries increased to 15,000 baht if they have a degree? And if they don't have a degree,what will happen?

Details please, Pheua Maeow party.

I would like to ask Yinglak about the minimum 15,000 baht salary guaranteed for degree holders.

What about the millions of employees currently earning less than 15,000 baht? Are they all going to see their salaries increased to 15,000 baht if they have a degree? And if they don't have a degree,what will happen?

Oh the bitterness. I love it when these polls come out and the good doctor's haters come bleating out of the woodwork.

The poll was in 17, out of 75/76 provinces, but purports to indicate the trend "across the country" ?

The poll which really counts is of course the election itself. And I somehow doubt that the South, for example, will vote PTP, going by past results. But would a 43% share-of-the-vote be enough to give Pheu Thai an outright-majority in parliament ?

I myself would still forecast two large minority-parties, and several small ones, holding the balance as-to who (Dems or PTP) forms a coalition-government.

Oh the bitterness. I love it when these polls come out and the good doctor's haters come bleating out of the woodwork.

i apologise for asking for details about party policy.

My English is not too good, but what do you mean about 'bleating out of the woodwork'? I thought lambs bleated and they live in pens or fields, don't you mean 'crawling'?

Perhaps you need to use the free 15 year education policy currently in operation by the Democrats.

While the polls are not particularly accurate, they all seem to point to the same general trend. PT will probably beat the Democrats, but won't win an absolute majority. The obvious question is, which minority party will join them in a coalition? Purachai and Snoh are already in Thaksin's pocket, but their groups will probably not give PT the 50% that they need.

So, who else will they court? Newin may have burned too many bridges with Thaksin, but they really are two peas in a pod, so they may end up back into bed together. Banharn is another option, but his wariness about Thaksin may override his greed. Pua Pandin is the obvious choice, provided they can bring enough seats to the table.

Unfortunately, regardless of who wins, some people are going to be unhappy. However, I don't think we will see big anti-PT demonstrations unless they start making noises about bringing Thaksin back.

Edited by otherstuff1957

who's the good doctor?

Dr. Phil?

quiet right... now expect to be roasted laugh.gif

quiet right... now expect to be roasted laugh.gif

I don't want to see maewrocks roasted undeservedly, but I do want to see answers to Siripon's questions. They're important and have been asked many times before, why can't anyone give an answer?

..........................of course YOU never bleat do you Maewrocks? Stop the anger - feel the love !! - or has your Master thaksin only taught you to hate!!!!!!!!!?

Following were the responses to questions about the policy promises of parties, if society remained torn by violence and conflict:

- 83.6 per cent said it would be of no use if a good man with a moustache becomes Opposition leader but conflicts continued.

say wha'???? :blink::huh:

Yes, I'm not sure about that either. I just asked my staff if it was a Thai expression "good men have moustaches" - it's not, they're as confused as we are.

I'd still like to see Siripon's questions answered, by the way.

edit to add - I can't think of anyone on the scene at the moment who could be identified as a "good man with a moustache" either.

Edited by Pi Sek

no doubt if the poll was in reverse and showed the dems ahead then the usual forum yellows would be accepting and telling us all why the poll is indicative of the whole country, there really are some muppets on this forum :lol:

Yes, I'm not sure about that either. I just asked my staff if it was a Thai expression "good men have moustaches" - it's not, they're as confused as we are.

edit to add - I can't think of anyone on the scene at the moment who could be identified as a "good man with a moustache" either.

It is perplexing. There's only 1 guy in politics that I can think of with a moustache...

7 Pheu Thai MPs return from meeting Thaksin in Russia

Lop Buri MP Suchart Lainamngern said he and six other Pheu Thai MPs travelled to Moscow to meet Thaksin on September 11.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/7-Pheu-Thai-MPs-return-from-meeting-Thaksin-in-Rus-30137864.html

suchart.jpg

Pheu Thai Party MP for Lopburi, Suchart Lainamngern

not sure if he qualifies as a "good man" though

The regional splits were interesting.

The North was strongest for Peua Thai (or as some websites call them, Pao Thai, 'burn Thailand'), around 73%-14% over the Democrats, followed by Isaan (49%-27%) then central (38%-41%) and BKK (35%-39%) and finally the south (21%-66%).

I see that Abhisit is still keen for a debate, and I'm not surprised.

I mustache you a question, but i'll shave it for later..neus.gif

Never read that bit properly so I never noticed it.

It could be bad translation

Maybe it's some sort of Thai humour or prank / wind up.

Perhaps they are just trying to stir things up to get us confused or angry.

Could there be a politician with a moustache we don't know about who can control the country even in opposition?

Is Thaksin growing a moustache (or his sister)? :unsure:

Never read that bit properly so I never noticed it.

It could be bad translation

Maybe it's some sort of Thai humour or prank / wind up.

Perhaps they are just trying to stir things up to get us confused or angry.

Could there be a politician with a moustache we don't know about who can control the country even in opposition?

Is Thaksin growing a moustache (or his sister)? :unsure:

:D I'm not sure if she is or isn't, although in a few of the rare close-up photos that exist and have been published, she has the whisps of black hair at the corners of her lips (not that that is all that rare in Asian women or that there's anything wrong with that, as Seinfeld would say).

As for the percentage statement itself in the poll article, it leaped off the page when I read it. :o

suchart.jpg

Pheu Thai Party MP for Lopburi, Suchart Lainamngern

not sure if he qualifies as a "good man" though

A good man with a mustache:

chuwit2.jpg

ah yes, of course, Chuwit! I was sure I was forgetting someone, but could only recall the used car salesman.

There seems to be something about the temperament of mustache-wearers here.

and absolutely Chuwit is a good man. For sledgehammer-wielding, anyway.

I mustache you a question, but i'll shave it for later..neus.gif

That was razor sharp :cheesy:

Very funny. Although not so funny when you have to explain it to your Thai gf.

I've just spent nearly an hour trying to get an explanation of the man with the moustache but I gave up once she mentioned Hitler.

Just glad I can't vote in Thailand and don't have to understand.

They are talking about Chawit and his bid to be the opposition [of most everything].

And it was already answered in the thread...o-well.

Edited by TAWP

no doubt if the poll was in reverse and showed the dems ahead then the usual forum yellows would be accepting and telling us all why the poll is indicative of the whole country, there really are some muppets on this forum :lol:

And what do the Yellow shirts have to do with the Dems.... YES... there really are some muppets on this forum..

yes random you are right of course - but expect to be crucified here as dissent is not tolorated 90% of farangs are Dems and a fair number yellow to boot

edit: spl as pointed out so gracefully by our friend JD

Edited by lanna2011

yes random you are right of course - but expect to be crucified here as decent is not tolorated 90% of farangs are Dems and a fair number yellow to boot

"decent is not tolerated"? HUH? Decent is not only tolerated, it is treated respectfully.

As far as I am aware there are only a few farang on the board that are eligible to vote. Which would make 99.99% (or whatever) not Dems and not PTP .... As for board members with political opinions, most of them are decent and post their opinions and respect other people's right to disagree. Those that are not "decent" resort to one-liners or find themselves removed, though it is always fun when they reappear pretending to be newbies but with strong opinions about long-term forum members :) The mods quite often catch them out quite early.

yes random you are right of course - but expect to be crucified here as decent is not tolorated 90% of farangs are Dems and a fair number yellow to boot

90% of farangs have experience with polls back home and know how to ignore them. nothing to do with preference, just bored with daily updates. Only the elections will show the actual result. Both PTP and Dem's around 35 - 40% with a margin of error seems still likely :)

"decent is not tolerated"? HUH? Decent is not only tolerated, it is treated respectfully.

As far as I am aware there are only a few farang on the board that are eligible to vote. Which would make 99.99% (or whatever) not Dems and not PTP .... As for board members with political opinions, most of them are decent and post their opinions and respect other people's right to disagree. Those that are not "decent" resort to one-liners or find themselves removed, though it is always fun when they reappear pretending to be newbies but with strong opinions about long-term forum members :) The mods quite often catch them out quite early.

'dissent' sorry - as for the other comments I'm not sure what you are referring to

Actually there are polls (such as the one above) which show no clear winner ... and nobody I know trusts political polls by any source (other than the army's poll).

5 more days until all the MP candidates are locked into their choice of party? Then it should start getting really nasty.