Relaxed Dining (Thai Food - Thai Style)

corkman

Hi All,

I'm sick of the usual fare, aim at tourists / travellers, such as the usual air con hotel restaurants.

I'd like to go to a Thai place - Thai style, where they'll have good Thai service, good food, and we can sit there chilling and slowly eating over a period of a few hours. You know, the "Thai" experience rather than the westernised one.

So I'm looking for recommendations. It could be a roof type thing, a river side thing, off the main strip sort of thing - not necessarily open air (Chilli Kitchen Thai Culture on Suk Soi 11 is ok for example), but a bit of ambiance is a must - just not touristy. I'll be dining with Thai's, I eat all types of Thai food, and it should be somewhere within striking distance of the CBD areas and preferably on the CBD side of the river.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

McDonalds is becoming a very popular place with Thais now wink.gif

Seriously .. try the Waterside Restaurant (Bueng Kum, Bangkok). There are a bunch of nice Thai places to eat along the main road this restaurant is off of. Very nice place by western standards but you'll likely be the only farang there.

Edited by Nisa

Knowing what CBD is would be helpful.

Anyways, here are a couple of places I know of,

1. Baan Khanita

2. Baan Klang Naam

3. Lan Na Thai

There are also many good Thai style restaurants around Lad Prao and Rangsit area.

Knowing what CBD is would be helpful.

Anyways, here are a couple of places I know of,

1. Baan Khanita

2. Baan Klang Naam

3. Lan Na Thai

There are also many good Thai style restaurants around Lad Prao and Rangsit area.

CBD is Central Business District (Silom)

Not a tourist? Lots of tourists insist on Thai food, but many expats are tired of it and want a taste of other kinds of foods. ;)

To be honest, I generally find western food appauling in Thailand - always have. There are a few exceptions, but to be honest I think most expats have become accustomed to accepting / calling average food good, simply by comparison. We kid ourselves with comments like "that place is great, its justl ike home" ....... but in reality, what we mean is that it is nearly as good as home..... nearly. The oposite is the case in the real world, where Thai cuisine is watered down to local taste, and generally lacks authenticity.

I think my emphasis was more on the "Thai Style" - as in the type of place a tourist would struggle because menu's in Thai (or Tinglish at best) and the staff speaking less english than the average taxi driver..... not being an tourist, that is not an issue for me ;)

BTW - Thanks to everyone for your suggestions ...... I have been busy trying to google them etc and figure out how to get there.

Not a tourist? Lots of tourists insist on Thai food, but many expats are tired of it and want a taste of other kinds of foods. ;)

To be honest, I generally find western food appauling in Thailand - always have. There are a few exceptions, but to be honest I think most expats have become accustomed to accepting / calling average food good, simply by comparison. We kid ourselves with comments like "that place is great, its justl ike home" ....... but in reality, what we mean is that it is nearly as good as home..... nearly. The oposite is the case in the real world, where Thai cuisine is watered down to local taste, and generally lacks authenticity.

I think my emphasis was more on the "Thai Style" - as in the type of place a tourist would struggle because menu's in Thai (or Tinglish at best) and the staff speaking less english than the average taxi driver..... not being an tourist, that is not an issue for me ;)

BTW - Thanks to everyone for your suggestions ...... I have been busy trying to google them etc and figure out how to get there.

Good luck, sure report back when you have been and let is know the verdict and where you went :)

Well Baan Khanita looks most likely, by virtue of its location..... (bit close to Cowboy though!) or else Baan Khun Mae.

I haven't given p looking yet thought :)

I could chicken out and bow to pressure, and just select a roof top centara grand or similar venue ..... the vistas never fail to dissappoint! :) Bit pricey though - anyone been there recently?

Well Baan Khanita looks most likely, by virtue of its location..... (bit close to Cowboy though!) or else Baan Khun Mae.

I haven't given p looking yet thought :)

I could chicken out and bow to pressure, and just select a roof top centara grand or similar venue ..... the vistas never fail to dissappoint! :) Bit pricey though - anyone been there recently?

Not that recently, but it when I have been it has been excellent. I think the bill for two of us came to just over 300o baht, though there was some alcohol in there.

To be honest, I generally find western food appauling in Thailand - always have.

In the past, I would have agreed with you, but foreign restaurants are getting better and better. I am happy with some Western and Japanese places and I never was only a few years ago.

Tried Baan Khanita in Suk soi 23 in December last year.

Too expensive was my experience! <_<

Food was Ok, but I like to pay for what I'm eating, not for where I'm sitting. :rolleyes:

Tried Baan Khanita in Suk soi 23 in December last year.

Too expensive was my experience! <_<

Food was Ok, but I like to pay for what I'm eating, not for where I'm sitting. :rolleyes:

Actually, don't rate the place.

It is where farangs who live in Thailand - but generally don't eat Thai food head when they want to impress visitors. Tourist central.

Pricey too.

Another suggestion - just head down to Soi Aree Soi 7 of Pahloylithin. Work your way down all the little side streets (mainly to the left) and then to the connecting road (soi 5) to Rama VI.

Can't go wrong down that way....

I'd highly recommend Just One in Sathorn Soi 1. Nice outdoor environment with excellent food at very reasonable (value) prices. Their menu is very extensive and the seafood is always fresh.

I've been going there for 10 years and have a number of friends who have returned to visit & they always ask to go back.

You can get to it from either Sathorn Soi 1 or Rama IV (not sure which Soi) - if coming from Sathorn it's at the end of the Soi before you turn left back to Rama IV.

Bon appetite!

GGG

There are a number of restaurants, clubs, and combination dining entertainment places all up and down Narathiwat Road from Rama III to Sathorn. These range from the outside canopy covered roadside restaurants with the TV showing Premier League, typical working class dining club to places with soft piano music and pretty much every type in between,

Take the BTS to Chong Nonsi and walk towards Rama III.

TH

Another vote for Waterside. Both of these are not near CBD but 20-30 minutes in a taxi (if you're lucky ;) )

Expect a relaxed atmosphere with half decent grub.

http://www.waterside-bkk.com/

http://www.thelocalbkk.com/

I think:

http://www.bankhunmae.com/

Look's nice, but IMHO the food is pretty mediocre, definitely aimed at tourists (English menus)....

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL