Surin Beach Dogs

Valentine

I was just reading about the owner of the renowned K Hotel being savagely attacked by a dog at Surin beach last week. He has had to have a couple of operations & it was all he could do to stop his baby from being mauled. The dog was killed straight after the incident, the owner has reported to police his has been killed but no mention of charges, beach locals were earlier warned to carry sticks because of aggressive dogs. So <deleted> is really going on there as this sounds pretty serious & the usual case of horse bolting. Seems like being pro active, even when it comes to safety, is just not part of the language or culture. Even after shocking tragedies one only hears mealy mouthed platitudes that are never followed up.

Cue the "all dogs should be kept on a leash with muzzle whilst on the beach" posters.

Then cue the "my dog's different and wouldn't hurt a fly even though it is a Doberman/Rotweiler/Pit-bull" posters.

Let me put some pop-corn in the micro-wave.........

Cue the "all dogs should be kept on a leash with muzzle whilst on the beach" posters.

Then cue the "my dog's different and wouldn't hurt a fly even though it is a Doberman/Rotweiler/Pit-bull" posters.

I believe we are talking about feral beach dogs, not house pets...

How old is his baby? hope the child is OK and that the K Hotel owner is getting all his Rabies shots.

First LEARN about dogs and their behaviour.

IF you threaten a dog by raising a stick, the dog will sense your fear and start barking madly at you. It's mates will shortly come running to join in the fun. Same goes for bending down to pick up a rock. The dog/s will at first retreat, but then regroup and advance.

The way to avoid a dog attack is extremely simple. DO NOT raise a bloody stick or chuck a rock. DO NOT make eye contact or show fear. IGNORE IT. Easier said than done, but I assure you this works. Dogs will do it to each other.

FIRST the dog/s will quite possibly be very close to you. STAND STILL. This confuses the dog. 'OOOh, what we gonna do now then?' THEN walk very very slowly straight away from it them, all the while making soothing noises. Dogs react to the TONE of your voice. You could, in a very sweet tone say something along the lines of 'Fluffy (impossible to say this word aggressively lol) bugger off, fluffy, aaah fluffy'. This again confuses and mollifies the dog at the same time.

The dog, usually if in a group, might GENTLY nip at your ankles. Keep walking. The dog/s will then happily trot by your side until they get bored and sod off. This particular incident happened to me just yesterday with four dogs belonging to a lazy arsed neighbour who merely opens his gate and lets the buggers out on their own for an hour or two, regardless of whomsoever else happens to be in the soi.

Right, now. Bring on the 'I'd rather aim a rocket launcher at the fckrs Rambos' who make up a not a miniscule proportion of posters on this forum.

Edited by krangeek

IF some idiot business owners in the tourism industry could for once do something good for the island, this wouldn't happen..

its as easy as helping soi dog keep their land and reporting un-owned dogs. For a small charge they will take the whole pack away.

Not their dog not their problem, mai pen rai, let's just keep the island that pays for your house go to shit. All medium to large business would only need to put like 5-10k each and there would be exactly 0 stray dogs left in phuket

I believe we are talking about feral beach dogs, not house pets...

How old is his baby? hope the child is OK and that the K Hotel owner is getting all his Rabies shots.

if you read the article, the dog that did the mauling had a Thai owner. The dog had already bitten three people previously.

Where is the article please? :ph34r:

Sorry, it's at a place I'm not allowed to mention whistling.gif

Its also been strongly suggested that the victim owns a dog that he frequently walks that has on numerous occassions previously attacked other dogs.

On this walk he didn't take his attack ..i mean defence dog along and the other dog took advantage of this to get revenge by attacking this guy...:rolleyes:

Revenge is sweet...

Stray dogs are a chronical problem all over Thailand, and among other places they like to congregate at beaches. Part of the blame lies with people who are feeding them, or even just petting them.

Sometimes people are laying out poisoned meat for them, maybe business owners who think they are annoying their customers or even making them stay away - think for instance of beach restaurant owners. Don't mean to say I support this practice - often also dogs that have an owner become victims, apart from ethical considerations.

Neutering/sterilizing would be the obvious solution,and if in my area a foundation or whatever would start doing this, I would gladly contribute financially.

By the way I am aware this thread is about a dog who has an owner and originally not about stray dogs, but reading the words "beach" and "dog" I couldn't resist putting in my 25 satang worth.

Its also been strongly suggested that the victim owns a dog that he frequently walks that has on numerous occassions previously attacked other dogs.

On this walk he didn't take his attack ..i mean defence dog along and the other dog took advantage of this to get revenge by attacking this guy...:rolleyes:

Revenge is sweet...

How is the Revenge Sweet when the beach dog has now been put down.

How is the Revenge Sweet when the beach dog has now been put down.

As a long time dog owner/lover i agree 100% that it was very sad to see the dog put down, no doubt about that.:annoyed:

On the bright side ,the dog at least did get the satisfaction of the last word bite in the debate....:)

As a long time dog owner/lover i agree 100% that it was very sad to see the dog put down, no doubt about that.:annoyed:

Put down?

Yes, if you call getting beaten to death being "put down".

Agree with you there.....i was only using the terminology of the poster i replied to ie.....How is the Revenge Sweet when the beach dog has now been put down.

I Definately do not equate beaten to death with 'being put down' my appologies :jap:

PS..maybe you should have directed your comment to the poster i replied to...Benjie..

I commented about the difference between some beaches being dog-friendly, while others being anything but, only last Sunday. We went to Nai Harn, as usual, where there are many dogs, both local beach dogs and others with their owners, and I have never seen any trouble. In fact, they all seem to play together quite nicely. Surin beach is a totally different kettle of fish. There is always a large pack of angry dogs there, and they often harass people with dogs, or just each other. We stopped going there a long time ago, partly because of this, and of course, the 'undertow' that makes it a very dangerous place to swim, even in the shallows. There are other beaches that 'forbid' dogs altogether, because there is a strong moslem presence in nearby villages. We also stopped going to those beaches. Watching our dog play and enjoy herself on the beach is a weekly treat we all look forward to..! And of course, being responsible dog owners, we make sure there is no mess left behind, to bother the other beach users..!

I commented about the difference between some beaches being dog-friendly, while others being anything but, only last Sunday. We went to Nai Harn, as usual, where there are many dogs, both local beach dogs and others with their owners, and I have never seen any trouble. In fact, they all seem to play together quite nicely. Surin beach is a totally different kettle of fish. There is always a large pack of angry dogs there, and they often harass people with dogs, or just each other. We stopped going there a long time ago, partly because of this, and of course, the 'undertow' that makes it a very dangerous place to swim, even in the shallows. There are other beaches that 'forbid' dogs altogether, because there is a strong moslem presence in nearby villages. We also stopped going to those beaches. Watching our dog play and enjoy herself on the beach is a weekly treat we all look forward to..! And of course, being responsible dog owners, we make sure there is no mess left behind, to bother the other beach users..!

I go to Surin beach regularly and cant recall seeing any 'angry' beach dogs. There are some tied up in one of the restaurants that I wouldnt want to be too near but apart from that I have never seen any problems. I even took our local soi dog down there with me the other day which was uneventful.

I dont know which dogs caused the problem in this case but I predict it was the dogs that are usually tied up in that restaurant?

Sounds to me like there were two, maybe more, people having problems about/with their dogs.

His story in the paper, playing the innocent victim, seems pathetic to me.

Edited by stevenl

Sounds to me like there were two, maybe more, people having problems about/with their dogs.

Not sure if I understand yo correctly but are you saying he deserved to be attacked & if so why, other than the suggestion he has a dog who attacks other dogs (or simply fights with other dogs as dogs do). If there is more to this story then it should be backed up other than just innuendo. It is interesting as it raises all sorts of issues about dog control not only on the beach.

Not sure if I understand yo correctly but are you saying he deserved to be attacked & if so why, other than the suggestion he has a dog who attacks other dogs (or simply fights with other dogs as dogs do). If there is more to this story then it should be backed up other than just innuendo. It is interesting as it raises all sorts of issues about dog control not only on the beach.

No, 'm not saying he deserved to be attacked. I am saying that in the article he is playing the innocent victim, just walking with his kid on the beach, when his kid got wild and vicously attacked and he was almost killed trying to protect her, while he knows full well the cause of the attack were the problems he was having with somebody else, or his dog with somebody elses dog.

He is not the innocent victim he pretends to be.

No, 'm not saying he deserved to be attacked. I am saying that in the article he is playing the innocent victim, just walking with his kid on the beach, when his kid got wild and vicously attacked and he was almost killed trying to protect her, while he knows full well the cause of the attack were the problems he was having with somebody else, or his dog with somebody elses dog.

He is not the innocent victim he pretends to be.

It sounds as if you know the people involved. If so, please make the problems a touch more obvious.

In my experience the soi dogs are incredibly soft, as they rely on strangers to feed them.

A few chase motorbikes for the fun, but if you stop - they stop too as they were looking for fun but have no intention of hurting anyone.

It sounds as if you know the people involved. If so, please make the problems a touch more obvious.

In my experience the soi dogs are incredibly soft, as they rely on strangers to feed them.

A few chase motorbikes for the fun, but if you stop - they stop too as they were looking for fun but have no intention of hurting anyone.

Just read the article on the site that can not be mentioned. Nothing to do with soi dogs.

shotgun 12 gauge - out and over, Roger!

A few low seasons ago I was down at Nai Harn Beach on a stormy day and heard what I thought were firecrackers. Thinking that was a litle weird as it was one "pop" at a time I went and investigated.

There I found a police looking truck, some plain clothes guys and they were taking care of the dog problem, your way Samuian but with hand guns. They were tossing the carcasses in the truck.

Haven't seen that recently, but sounds like they need it in Surin.

A few low seasons ago I was down at Nai Harn Beach on a stormy day and heard what I thought were firecrackers. Thinking that was a litle weird as it was one "pop" at a time I went and investigated.

There I found a police looking truck, some plain clothes guys and they were taking care of the dog problem, your way Samuian but with hand guns. They were tossing the carcasses in the truck.

Apparently in Surin the problems are caused by owned dogs (therefor by their owners), not by soi dogs.

in YOUR experience.

I recently was bit by a dog which hanged out on the street. Very vicious but it had a owner. the owner decided to call the govt to get rid of it.. The govt knew the moobaan and basically laughed their ass saying we should burn in our own feces because we have way too many vicious dog in our moobaan, were getting known provincially. They attack children, babies in stroller, old people and it's all the fault of 1 dirty house who feeds them all and semi-own most of them with the burmese camp workers.

As i said previously, if you plan on living somewhere for a long time, pay soi dog to take the dangerous dogs away. Any owner leaves their dog rampant near my house will have to go find it in thalang and pay a release fee

Apparently in Surin the problems are caused by owned dogs (therefor by their owners), not by soi dogs.

I agree. The only dogs I've had problems with are their idle, incompetent owners'. I think I know of the 'dirty old Thai house read 'poverty stricken, ignorant' householder who has many dogs 'co-owned' by a nearby Burmese workers' camp. The owner in question is simply ignorant. This is the second large dog (the first having unfortunately. for the dog, being poisoned), they've had with just the one bitch having litter after litter. They simply refuse to have the bitch neutered.

I have no problem with these dogs, now that the alpha male has disappeared. In fact, the first litter were charming.

My present problem is with a youngish Thai further up the soi with four dogs, one of whom appears to be a PitBull, and with which I can deal myself, but have attacked my two dogs twice, and the owner is now threatening to 'kill' me with them. I don't care for myself, I can handle them. He. apparently, cannot.

I agree. The only dogs I've had problems with are their idle, incompetent owners'. I think I know of the 'dirty old Thai house read 'poverty stricken, ignorant' householder who has many dogs 'co-owned' by a nearby Burmese workers' camp. The owner in question is simply ignorant. This is the second large dog (the first having unfortunately. for the dog, being poisoned), they've had with just the one bitch having litter after litter. They simply refuse to have the bitch neutered.

I have no problem with these dogs, now that the alpha male has disappeared. In fact, the first litter were charming.

My present problem is with a youngish Thai further up the soi with four dogs, one of whom appears to be a PitBull, and with which I can deal myself, but have attacked my two dogs twice, and the owner is now threatening to 'kill' me with them. I don't care for myself, I can handle them. He. apparently, cannot.

pitbull + skinny husky locked inside most of the time and a bunch of other medium size dogs?

That pitbull is quite nice when she's not pregnant.. crazy scary alien face when she's pregnant and thats when they let her out all day and night. the crazy dog im refering to is owned by the owners of the seafood export, but then again there's many crazy dogs.

just call soi dog to come during the day and the dog is gone forever, they cant afford gas to drive that far up north

in YOUR experience.

I recently was bit by a dog which hanged out on the street. Very vicious but it had a owner. the owner decided to call the govt to get rid of it.. The govt knew the moobaan and basically laughed their ass saying we should burn in our own feces because we have way too many vicious dog in our moobaan, were getting known provincially. They attack children, babies in stroller, old people and it's all the fault of 1 dirty house who feeds them all and semi-own most of them with the burmese camp workers.

As i said previously, if you plan on living somewhere for a long time, pay soi dog to take the dangerous dogs away. Any owner leaves their dog rampant near my house will have to go find it in thalang and pay a release fee

You proved my point. The dog that bit you had an 'owner'. The vast majority of soi dogs rely on strangers to feed them so are v soft and timid towards people.

Soi Dogs are struggling for money - if you care that much then PAY them to neuter all the local dogs. That is their aim - to neuter all the soi dogs so that there are no longer unwanted soi dogs around!