UK Passport Applications :

Centralization is the word! Seems the days of regional and/or local locations to get a certain govt product/service are going they way of the dinosaur, and they always sight cost as the reason. Of course, give it 10-20 years and some upcoming govt official trying to make a name for himself/herself will push the pendulum to swing in the opposite direction back toward regionalization. Some portions of the video, especially puzzle step 5, made this change sound like great stuff...wonder how much of it is really true.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this minor 'change' upsets so many people, what on earth will they do when they request that all passport applications and renewals require a face-to-face interview with the applicant?

In the UK!

Or, more to the point, when there are no more UK passports nor British Embassies. You will have to apply in handwritten triplicate presented in person at the central citizenship processing bureau of the EUSSR in Brussels on the first Tuesday of the month of your birth. You will then pick up the passport at the same office at a date to be defined according to the fee you pay but not less than three months later. The slight delay is due to the fact that it will take 75 different beaurocrats to process the application each personally checking each and every detail on the form.

If this minor 'change' upsets so many people, what on earth will they do when they request that all passport applications and renewals require a face-to-face interview with the applicant?

In the UK!

Or, more to the point, when there are no more UK passports nor British Embassies. You will have to apply in handwritten triplicate presented in person at the central citizenship processing bureau of the EUSSR in Brussels on the first Tuesday of the month of your birth. You will then pick up the passport at the same office at a date to be defined according to the fee you pay but not less than three months later. The slight delay is due to the fact that it will take 75 different beaurocrats to process the application each personally checking each and every detail on the form.

LOL biggrin.gif, but possibly true

i F****ING HATE THE uk AND AM STILLWAITING FOR MY PASSPORT COPY TO COME FROM HONG KONG. WHO THE HELL TOLD ANYONE I BELONG TO HONG KONG???????????????????????????????????

didnt we give hk back to china,thats why our passports cost double,chinese copys

Clear enough.

With so many South Asians and Africans holding British nationality and yet their countries of birth having such dodgy identification procedures, this was inevitable.

I see that at the end of the video they ridiculously decide to perpetuate the myth that the Foreign Office is there to assist British Nationals overseas "when they get in trouble". I don't know why they stupidly put this untrue section in there. That is the really patronising bit.

Fell sorry for you UK citizen. :o

How do you accepts this.

First Hong Kong, now UK.

Next year....

Can't you get decent consular service in Thailand?

My dealings with UK Consul in Chiang Mai have been incredibly positive, the young lass there really goes above and beyond the call of duty, whereas the Australian Consulate service is virtually non existent. ( I have dual nationality)

Well said. My dealings with both the British Embassy in Bangkok and my local Hon Consul on Koh Samui have been both friendly and very efficient. One gets the feeling that there is a high ratio of "laptop geriatrics" who have great difficulty in adapting to change. Have a look outside, there are real people out there adapting and changing to a thousand and one issues in life - you might like to do likewise instead of bemoaning your insignificant lot. And yes prices for nearly everything are rising across the World. You might like to count yourself fortunate that you can afford them, unlike many unfortunates who do their best, with a smile, despite the odds. What a sad, sad lot on this forum.

Nice video, presumably made by the Teletubbies team. Not so nice is the 150 knickers punch up the froat for pensioners renewing old 40-quid passport - for the enormous privilege of not having to live in the UK.

Ah, but our shiny new passports will be more 'secure'? Presumably that means we pay the (very wonderful) UK secret police to put all our personal data on an embedded passport microchip, & if the Vogons are still not happy, they can grope in our underpants, or force us to strip in the airport. Believe, work, obey. B******s. OGT

Is this the ENGLISH secret police?

Didn't see any STASI north of the border. If you retire to Scotland, you can always pop over the border to renew your passport when it expires EVERY TEN YEARS OR SO. They may even grant citizenship to Sassenachs.... provided they learn to play the bagpipes, wear a kilt every day, recite 'Tae a Haggis' and eat one at least once a week. Then you can get a Scottish passport which will open the doors to many, many wonderful things. Like living in exile in Thailand.

You forgot some of the other requirements for issuance of a Scottish passport to a non-Scot

- Ownership, and photographic evidence of wearing, at least three different but near-identical creamy-white Arran sweaters.

- Ability to accurately describe the difference between single malt, blended malt, and non-malt, whiskies, plus name at least 20 different minor distilleries and provide convincing argument as to why your favourite is the best of them all.

- If tertiary educated, it must have been at a university where you did not pay fees (i.e. Scotland or Wales, but not England).

- Ability to name all of the Scottish major league football clubs, from memory.

- Ability to relate the story of the Glencoe Massacre, passionately, from the point of view of either the McDonald or Campbell side.

- Ability to state, chronologically, all the historical inaccuracies in the Mel Gibson film "Braveheart" and state the correct versions.

Once you are able to do all that, you move on to the oral exam where you have to demonstrate mastery of the Glaswegian drunken mumble - both spoken and heard.

Regarding the OP - I've just recently renewed my passport here in the UK by post - very fast turnaround (7 days) with all supporting documents AND the old passport returned within 10 days of application, therefore the handling and processing system seems to have improved greatly from the last time I used it (1991).

You missed one:

The ability to deliver the "Glasgi Kiss" to anyone within one meter, without engaging them in conversation, but having received "a look".

How do you accepts this.

First Hong Kong, now UK.

Next year....

My dealings with UK Consul in Chiang Mai have been incredibly positive, the young lass there really goes above and beyond the call of duty, whereas the Australian Consulate service is virtually non existent. ( I have dual nationality)

Well said. My dealings with both the British Embassy in Bangkok and my local Hon Consul on Koh Samui have been both friendly and very efficient. One gets the feeling that there is a high ratio of "laptop geriatrics" who have great difficulty in adapting to change. Have a look outside, there are real people out there adapting and changing to a thousand and one issues in life - you might like to do likewise instead of bemoaning your insignificant lot. And yes prices for nearly everything are rising across the World. You might like to count yourself fortunate that you can afford them, unlike many unfortunates who do their best, with a smile, despite the odds. What a sad, sad lot on this forum.

If you read properly, it is not the rising costs that's the problem. It's the 2 tier pricing (yes, similar to Thailand, but we know how to beat that one) used by the uk government.

Why contribute if 'sad lot on this forum' tongue.gif

Nice video, presumably made by the Teletubbies team. Not so nice is the 150 knickers punch up the froat for pensioners renewing old 40-quid passport - for the enormous privilege of not having to live in the UK.

Ah, but our shiny new passports will be more 'secure'? Presumably that means we pay the (very wonderful) UK secret police to put all our personal data on an embedded passport microchip, & if the Vogons are still not happy, they can grope in our underpants, or force us to strip in the airport. Believe, work, obey. B******s. OGT

Is this the ENGLISH secret police?

Didn't see any STASI north of the border. If you retire to Scotland, you can always pop over the border to renew your passport when it expires EVERY TEN YEARS OR SO. They may even grant citizenship to Sassenachs.... provided they learn to play the bagpipes, wear a kilt every day, recite 'Tae a Haggis' and eat one at least once a week. Then you can get a Scottish passport which will open the doors to many, many wonderful things. Like living in exile in Thailand.

You forgot some of the other requirements for issuance of a Scottish passport to a non-Scot

- Ownership, and photographic evidence of wearing, at least three different but near-identical creamy-white Arran sweaters.

- Ability to accurately describe the difference between single malt, blended malt, and non-malt, whiskies, plus name at least 20 different minor distilleries and provide convincing argument as to why your favourite is the best of them all.

- If tertiary educated, it must have been at a university where you did not pay fees (i.e. Scotland or Wales, but not England).

- Ability to name all of the Scottish major league football clubs, from memory.

- Ability to relate the story of the Glencoe Massacre, passionately, from the point of view of either the McDonald or Campbell side.

- Ability to state, chronologically, all the historical inaccuracies in the Mel Gibson film "Braveheart" and state the correct versions.

Once you are able to do all that, you move on to the oral exam where you have to demonstrate mastery of the Glaswegian drunken mumble - both spoken and heard.

Regarding the OP - I've just recently renewed my passport here in the UK by post - very fast turnaround (7 days) with all supporting documents AND the old passport returned within 10 days of application, therefore the handling and processing system seems to have improved greatly from the last time I used it (1991).

You missed one:

The ability to deliver the "Glasgi Kiss" to anyone within one meter, without engaging them in conversation, but having received "a look".

You also forgot the ability to eat 3 mutton pies after a night on the bevvy or deep fried haggis plus a deep fried Mars bar without producing a pizza coloured yawn.

Still got 8 years left on my larger 40 page passport. We all know the number of stamps one gets a year is crazy to say the least so I just had a little look at it and I'd say if I had a standard one I would be lucky to get 6 years out of it before it was full. I think you should get a discount if your passport is full and has a few years left on it myself.

Still got 8 years left on my larger 40 page passport. We all know the number of stamps one gets a year is crazy to say the least so I just had a little look at it and I'd say if I had a standard one I would be lucky to get 6 years out of it before it was full. I think you should get a discount if your passport is full and has a few years left on it myself.

You do !!! , but you get an extra 9 months !!! Where they got that time from bemuses me - I had used my last passport up in 5 years - when new one came 10 spanking new years & 9 months !!! does the uk government actually employ someone to develop these ridiculous ideas or do we just borrow an immigrant for the day ??????? jap.gif

This is to "cut costs and 'improve' the service" I was told in KL last year when they stopped producing passports.

All of the machines (in Asia) have been moved to Hong Kong.

How do you accepts this.

First Hong Kong, now UK.

Next year....

Still got 8 years left on my larger 40 page passport. We all know the number of stamps one gets a year is crazy to say the least so I just had a little look at it and I'd say if I had a standard one I would be lucky to get 6 years out of it before it was full.

Think positive.... they may have perfected inter-galactic material transfer by then (the 'Transporter' in Star Trek) so you won't have to <deleted> around with AirAsia's cheating online booking system or transit through Delhi airport.

I think you should get a discount if your passport is full and has a few years left on it myself.

You do. If the passport is renewed prior to it's expiration, the new passport's 10 year validity extends from the expiration date in the current year on the retiring passport and not from the date of issue of the new one.

Bonus!

Edited by NanLaew

You do !!! , but you get an extra 9 months !!! Where they got that time from bemuses me - I had used my last passport up in 5 years - when new one came 10 spanking new years & 9 months !!! does the uk government actually employ someone to develop these ridiculous ideas or do we just borrow an immigrant for the day ??????? jap.gif

Who knows, 9 months does seem rather odd. So you only get 9 months extra and not 5 years worth of passport usage back?

You got 9 months extra passport validity for free and you STILL complain?

Yup biggrin.gif

What I don't understand is...

If a photocopy is acceptable (because in Thailand, foreigners are required to have a valid ID with them), why are we having to post anything? Has the passport service never heard of scanners and digital cameras?

And if they require someone to check the old passport, they can send the new one to the embassy, and you produce your old one (so they can cut off the corner) when you collect the new one.

Cause its TOO simple..Be thankful they don't ask you to FAX something.

Hi. I am not British but I am very surprise that UK guys can still get a Passport by mail!??

It seems to me that most countries now have new "electronic" or "biometric" passport and then, when you live abroad, you need to go to your consulate or embassy for a specific numeric picture, for fingers print, ...

Do UK still use old system passports? :unsure:

Passport full in BKK in 2005. Applied for another one in BKK (Pre HK) Got it - and it had a funny little squashed Smartie laminated in plastic.

No photos, no fingerprints no nothing.

R

• 3 weeks later...

Funnily enough I dont have a problem with any of this, I do however have a problem with the "we are saving money" line they are throwing out. They could save a hell of a lot more by not providing aid to dysfunctional african nations, or to upcoming powerhouse economies like India.

stop all that and then maybe the UK border police could get a little bit more. While we are at it lets take the french example and just ship them back....

regards

Be happy. At least you get 10 years.

We only get 5 years on a new passport. :(

Sent off the application just over a week ago, had 179 quid (inclusive DHL return) deducted from my bank account five days after sending.Interested to see just how long it takes from the fees being deducted.

Don't forget the other benefits of living here as a Brit, one of course is if you are pensionable it's not index linked!

Still, can't even contemplate living in the UK now and after 9 years here and 26 years overseas hopefully it is home-unless something drastic happens!

Maybe in years to come British Expats may have to renew their passports elsewhere again, Latvia, Estonia, Lithuania ... perhaps.

And maybe even Bangkok - but via Hong Kong & London for applications which can still only be submitted by snail mail and the reverse direction for their eventual new passports, of course :lol:

Well I watched the Janet and John get a new passport video clip, am I the only one that finds it patronising?

No date for moving he entire operation back to the UK, but when they do they will find it very difficult to justify any higher costs for applicants from overseas, save for courier costs, but no doubt they will somehow do so.

Janet & John ?? I remember them, I must be an old git too.:D:D

If you are a British national born on or before 2 September 1929 you can apply for your UK passport for free.

So the genuine old gits have no cause for complaint.

The generosity of the UK government knows no bounds.