More Cricket? World Vs Oz

Old Croc

Quite meaningless really. Nice little feel good match for the aussies I spose but it doesn't detract from the fact that they're has-beens :o

So Jackr is calling the Australian side "has beens".......

any other English poster wish to back Jackr up on this one......????

even Lampard wouldnt say something so out of line.....T Merton would though...hmmmm

"has beens".... :D:D

Quite meaningless really. Nice little feel good match for the aussies I spose but it doesn't detract from the fact that they're has-beens :o

obviously you are an informed cricket commentator :D

Quite meaningless really. Nice little feel good match for the aussies I spose but it doesn't detract from the fact that they're has-beens :D

So Jackr is calling the Australian side "has beens".......

any other English poster wish to back Jackr up on this one......????

even Lampard wouldnt say something so out of line.....T Merton would though...hmmmm

"has beens".... :D:D

'Uninformed cricket commentator', definitely :D 'Out of line', definitely :D , but one only has to observe from the sidelines and anything to wind you ladies up :D :D Roll on Uruguay

No, JR ; I agree with Supershite on this one. Not has beens. Still a great cricketing force. Only England made them look like has-beens. All these results really strengthen Englands position at the top half of the cricketing ladder. For a team to take on the might of the Ozzies in a 5 match series and have the pride of the Antipodies on their knees begging for rain, shows you just which court the balls in now.No mate, the Aussies are still great; just that we are greater. :D

Well Australia's biggest problem aren't going to vanish overnight, namely that they are ageing and by the time the Ashes roll around in 2006, they're not going to be any younger.

They need to give Tait, Watson, and Clarke as much test cricket as possible between now and then to get them up to scratch.

Tait is fast but raw and possibly injury prone.

Clarke, after an intitially great start now seems to be showing a weakness for flashing outside his off stump to a wide ball. Not a massive problem but one that only time in the middle will iron out.

Watson is just quality but could do with developing a few extra MPH in his bowling.

Are the Aussies past it? No but without a big injection of young blood whilst members of the 'invincibles' are still around to guide the younger players the future isn't so bright.

good comments Farty and positive,

the Oz regime need to regroup, while we have still a superb bowler in Mcgrath, and <deleted> Mcgill aint bad, the thing is there is a wealth of talent here, but to make the team it becomes so political at times, remember when the selectors were Queenslanders.

We'll work it out, just give the youngsters a go :D:o

Well Australia's biggest problem aren't going to vanish overnight, namely that they are ageing and by the time the Ashes roll around in 2006, they're not going to be any younger.

They need to give Tait, Watson, and Clarke as much test cricket as possible between now and then to get them up to scratch.

Tait is fast but raw and possibly injury prone.

Clarke, after an intitially great start now seems to be showing a weakness for flashing outside his off stump to a wide ball. Not a massive problem but one that only time in the middle will iron out.

Watson is just quality but could do with developing a few extra MPH in his bowling.

Are the Aussies past it? No but without a big injection of young blood whilst members of the 'invincibles' are still around to guide the younger players the future isn't so bright.

Very pleasant to see a reasonable and constructive post from you ProFart. (if only Tsetse Fly and Jackr could produce something other than insults maybe we could get the sports forum back to the friendly rivalry we had before the fly turned septic :o )

What happened in the ashes came as no real surprise to some of us in Australia. The aging of our team has been a discussion point among my mates for several years. One friend has been advocating dropping older players and nuturing a new young generation for some time. There is a whole generation of excellent players who have never had an opportunity at the highest level. The arguement against this is, how do you kick out a player averaging 50+ in tests? The poor standard of the rest of the worlds bowlers for many years has worked for these batsmen, but against future development in the Oz team. The sudden emergence of three top class fast bowlers in the English side came as a huge shock for many, not the least of whom, the spoilt Aussie top six batsmen.

The huge financial rewards now available to the players means that no one voluntarily retires anymore. Players don't have, or plan, a career after cricket. They expect to be financialy secure on retirement. More players go to, and past, their mid thirties. (Steve Waugh needed a crowbar to move on). This aging has had a negative impact on the standard of the fielding.

After several decades of dominance, there will be leaner times for Australia ahead while the rebuilding commences. I think we will remain competitive, never sinking to the depths of the once great West Indies, but we won't be beating every one all the time. :D

Edited by Old Croc

Crock there were 3 players nearing that average too I believe Lehmans was about 45.

Thats croc without the k thanks Bronco :o

I hated the initial selection of Lehman. I was advocating a new young bloke called Clarke at the time. Lehman got some scores against teams like the Banglis in darwin and Cairns and became a fixture. I think he was good mates with the people that mattered.

Crock there were 3 players nearing that average too I believe Lehmans was about 45.

I hated the initial selection of Lehman. I was advocating a new young bloke called Clarke at the time. Lehman got some scores against teams like the Banglis in darwin and Cairns and became a fixture. I think he was good mates with the people that mattered.

I think Symonds should have been given a chance at test level. A man that repeatidly scooped 'Man of the Match ' award in one dayers, must have a future as a test cricketer. I think he's cast out of the same mould as Botham, Sobers, Proctor and maybe Freddie F. Kent owe him a few favours in four dayers.

I think Symonds should have been given a chance at test level. A man that repeatidly scooped 'Man of the Match ' award in one dayers, must have a future as a test cricketer. I think he's cast out of the same mould as Botham, Sobers, Proctor and maybe Freddie F. Kent owe him a few favours in four dayers.

Symonds has played 2 tests and averaged 13.25 with the bat and 85 for his one wicket.

But, I agree, he has come a long way since then and deserves another chance.

'How do you drop a player with an average of 40-50+?'

I guess you have to look at current form. Gilchrist, Hadyn, Langer and Ponting were all very poor in England which would suggest to me that it is time to thank them for their services and bring in some young blood. OK Ponting had a good test at Old Trafford, and Hadyn and Langer had good knocks at the Oval but to retain them on the strenght of that would only be papering over the cracks if you ask me. But with whom do you replace them?

There are plenty of quality players out there but.......

Again we hit the problem of age. Many of the touted replacements are pushing or the wrong side of 30 such as Hussey, Symonds, Love etc.

One of the big problems has been the glut of quality non test playing Aussies who came to play county cricket in England. In the pre Invincibles days, county cricket was a good blooding ground for promising young Aussies to hone their talents before moving up to International status. Now however, county cricket has provided a good living for many of the players in recent years who were kept out of the test team by the invincibles, which in turn also displaced a lot of promising young Aussies.

The long and the short of it is that now the domestic Aussie season is being shown up for being too short as the young Aussie talent simply are just not getting enough first class cricket now that they can't get county places in the UK. Indeed the most promising talents around in Aussie cricket at the moment, Shane Watson and Michael Clarke, only got into county cricket because Warne was the Hampshire captain.

In England and Wales we had to rehash our county programme a few times but now seem to have hit the right mix. Now, because Aussie cricket was reliant on the county circuit in the past and that door has been closed for the time being, it seems that its time for a rehash down under.

No, JR ; I agree with Supershite on this one. Not has beens. Still a great cricketing force. Only England made them look like has-beens. All these results really strengthen Englands position at the top half of the cricketing ladder. For a team to take on the might of the Ozzies in a 5 match series and have the pride of the Antipodies on their knees begging for rain, shows you just which court the balls in now.No mate, the Aussies are still great; just that we are greater. :D

Slur, slurp. Talk about letting the side down, although your last comment was more on the money :D

You're right Croc, still got the taste of the big nasty Ashes thread in my mouth, but time to move on I spose. Well done Oz for stuffing the hapless World XI, you are not as dead in the water as I originally thought. :D

Aussie kid fells England Ashes hero

Australia has gained some belated revenge for the Ashes defeat, courtesy of a 14-year-old Aussie schoolboy in England.

England wicketkeeper Geraint Jones has revealed he was felled by a bouncer on a school visit, with an Australian doing the damage.

Jones has recalled a bruising recent visit to Canterbury High School.

"At the school I did a Q&A session with the kids before I went into the indoor nets, strapped on a front pad and faced a few gentle deliveries to show them how I tried to cope against Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath," Jones told The Mirror here.

"But one kid came running through the crease, let it go from about 12 yards and hit me on the head - just above the left ear - with a bouncer.

"I wasn't wearing a helmet or gloves and it hurt like hel_l, although I had to stand there and pretend to laugh it off.

"What made it worse was that a couple of the other kids said to me, as I walked away felling pretty dazed, `He's an Aussie you know'.

"Jeez, you can imagine what I was thinking at that stage."

Ninemsn News

(and they said the Aussie attack was too old :o )

Aussie kid fells England Ashes hero

Australia has gained some belated revenge for the Ashes defeat, courtesy of a 14-year-old Aussie schoolboy in England.

England wicketkeeper Geraint Jones has revealed he was felled by a bouncer on a school visit, with an Australian doing the damage.

Jones has recalled a bruising recent visit to Canterbury High School.

"At the school I did a Q&A session with the kids before I went into the indoor nets, strapped on a front pad and faced a few gentle deliveries to show them how I tried to cope against Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath," Jones told The Mirror here.

"But one kid came running through the crease, let it go from about 12 yards and hit me on the head - just above the left ear - with a bouncer.

"I wasn't wearing a helmet or gloves and it hurt like hel_l, although I had to stand there and pretend to laugh it off.

"What made it worse was that a couple of the other kids said to me, as I walked away felling pretty dazed, `He's an Aussie you know'.

"Jeez, you can imagine what I was thinking at that stage."

Ninemsn News

What comes round, goes round, ey Croc?

(and they said the Aussie attack was too old :o )