Pattaya To Phnom Penh

thailand11

Theres a 3rd alternative now through Pong Nam Rawn - Pailin - Battambang - Phnom Penh. They all are pretty time consuming but this is probably the fastest route.

Bus or car to Chanthaburi, Bus from Chan to Pong Nam Rawn, taxi to Pailin or Battamabang, and then on to Phnom Penh. This could be done in a day if you have the $$$

Keep in mind that road travell in Cambodia is pretty rough at the best of times.

1. Pattaya-Aranya Prathet by bus, then from Poipet-Siam Reap by pickup,then Siam Reap-Phnom Penh by boat. You have to organise the pickup at Poipet privately. There are plenty of them there but they are all mafia scum and will try every trick in the book to extact extra dollars from you and then they usually dump you halfway at Battambang and then do a runner after agreeing to take you all of the way to Siam Reap.

Probably the most direct way but with a few hassles from Poipet to Siam Reap.

2. Pattaya-Bangkok ,then organise at Khow San rd. a bus from there to Siam Reap. The last time i did this was 3 years ago and the price was 200 baht. Then Siam Reap-Phnom Penh by boat.

Probably the easiest but a bit longer.

dear friends,

i kindly ask you to suggest me the fastest and better way to reach phnom penh from pattaya (not by air).

thanks to anybody can help.

carlo.

Beware of buses from Khao San Road. Anything you put int the hold will get riffled through and your valuables stolen. Luckily they seem to be very bad at stealing, they missed my new levis and a few other expensive items and instead stole a fake leather address book. A bunch of other people had stuff taken as well, all on one bus ride.

dear friends,

i kindly ask you to suggest me the fastest and better way to reach phnom penh from pattaya (not by air).

carlo.

Beware of buses from Khao San Road. Anything you put int the hold will get riffled through and your valuables stolen. Luckily they seem to be very bad at stealing, they missed my new levis and a few other expensive items and instead stole a fake leather address book. A bunch of other people had stuff taken as well, all on one bus ride.

Seconded Jimbob, padlocking your bags is a must.

I used to travel from Pattaya through Trat - Koh Kong and shared taxi to PP.

This was before the bridge over the border was completed, so it started with a trip to Koh Kong on a boat with three centimetres of freeboard, sleep in Rasmey Makari (with a bird or two from the chicken farm) then next day climb in the shared taxi.

This means with three or more other passengers.

It means fording several rivers, has involved a number of breakdowns (one trip by a friend of mine used four different cars).

Better, but slower, was taking the boat from Koh Kong to Snooky (Sihanoukville) and then booking a car along better roads to PP.

(better means that the car does not bottom-out on some of the worse parts)

Take my advice - FLY!

dear friends,

carlo.

Seconded Jimbob, padlocking your bags is a must.

I was thinking of putting some barb wire in the top next time then wait and see which bugger has the bleeding hand.

The guy that ripped off stuff from my bag was a prize idiot, I had lots of stuff of value to him and he steals my address book. Of course I had no way of replacing all the numbers and addresses, the Levis were new and could have made him a decent sum but he steals a used address book!

dear friends,

carlo.

try www.kohkong.com/kohkong/overland.html

Gives directions from Pattaya bus station all the way, inc photos and things to watch out for.

• 3 years later...

This thread is over 3 years old, but now that the Thai consulate in Phnom Penh has started issuing double entry tourists visas and roads may have improved, there will be a lot of people interested in knowing the best and cheapest way to travel overland from Pattaya to Phnom Penh.

Any suggestions from anyone who has overlanded from Pattaya to Phnom Penh recently would be greatly appreciated.