Used Motorbikes In Chiang Mai - Best Place To Buy?

davevi

I am looking for a quality used motorbike in Chiang Mai.

I searched here and found an old forum thread from 2007 and 2009 with locations in the city where you can get used motorbikes with papers and insurance proof. Locations mentioned were weekend markets, Saturday and Sunday events.

I want to post the question again so that I can get up to date locations from those in the know.

Thank you.

Saturday and Sunday Market at Meechok on the Chiang Mai - Maejo road. Best day though is the first Sunday of each month. There is also a saturday market that starts very early (around 6am) on the way to Doi Inthanon but Ive forgotten the name of it, im sure someone will add it to the thread.

Edited by thaimiller

Saturday and Sunday Market at Meechok on the Chiang Mai - Maejo road. Best day though is the first Sunday of each month. There is also a saturday market that starts very early (around 6am) on the way to Doi Inthanon but Ive forgotten the name of it, im sure someone will add it to the thread.

Actually they did not have the motorcycle market at Ruam Chock Market today for some reason.

The other market is San Patong.

Last month I think..there was a similar thread about motor cy and vehicle auctions.. behind Big 'C' Plus on the Super Highway held on whichever Friday once a month with viewing of lots on Thursday. There is a Thai web-site..URL forgotten.

I would recommend to look at this classified section on this website.

Think if you buy on one of these "markets" you don't know the history of the motorbike, and they fool around a lot with milage etc....

Also farang seem to take care better then most Thai on their motorbike eg oilchange etc.

goodluck.

I would suggest any other route... Save yourself the headache and either rent a bike or buy new.

The amount that you may save buying a used bike is negligible, but the headache of searching, testing, haggling, documenting, etc etc etc is horrendous. Buy a new bike, use it for however long you are here and sell it off. They hold their value quite well.

If you don't have the cash to drop on a new bike or the visa(Non-Imm) rent a bike.

If you are a glutton for punishment, find yourself a good thai mechanic and translator to go on the search with you.

good luck