Air Asia "Sales"

robbiecia

Learned ones.

Right now there is another Air Asia "sale"

A 4 day promotion with "special" prices to many destinations.

Bangkok to London for Feb -June next year is shown at just 8k all in.

The problem i have is whatever dates i enter on their site for that travel period, the price is nothing near 8k each way. (more like 11k each way before taxes, fees and add-ons) So the final price would be closer to 16k each way.....nearly double the advertised price

This is the same for me everytime i check out their special promotions to other destinations.

My question is How do any of you guys actually manage to snag these advertised low prices????

Greetings,

I have had relatively good results.

1. I am not working.

2 I live and travel alone.

Hence I am free to travel where and when I please.

Flexibility is a big asset when trying to get the best price.

So, if a flt comes out higher than the advertised price, I "check out other dates" while trying to book - fairly simple process - and compare prices. The day of the week does seem to make a substantial difference. This is by far the best method I've found and used so far.

As I said, simple - but not very hepful if you have a fixed flt day.

Last, but obvious - dump the extra-cost frills if you don't really need them. (I always put a couple of cheap sandwiches into my carry-on)

PS: I usually use one larger-than-necessary, but light bag for check-in luggage. Then, if there is a problem with my carry-on at check-in I simply put the carry-on into the one large bag.

And, as Mario2008 said: "Be very, very, very quick with booking."

jaykayem :>)

I have gotten tired of falling for their lies. I have tried to book tickets during there sales all the time. Never worked out.

I've always had no problem getting good sales promo prices with Air Asia, even in none sales promo times their prices are cheapest if you're booking a few months ahead.

if you're looking for last minute deals then they are no cheaper than any other airline and in some cases may be a worse deal because of baggage allowances and lack of free food and beverages on board, or flight timings.

I never seem to have snagged a really good deal with air asia.

Even when they had a promotion to Bali a few weeks ago, they advertised for only 2k each way, but when i tried to book for the available travel dates it ended up costing 10k return. ( still half the price of Thai air)

Like a poster mentioned, i think when they have a 4 day sale you can only get those super low prices for the first half hour.

Its not the same always on other destinations, there can be some good buys if you register with them and get in early. But BKK-LDN, maybe they sell one seat at that price, after that you might as well look at other carriers.

Its a con for sure, I tried over 30 dates and couldn't find their promotion for 8k all in, I think maybe they had only 1 flight in all the time period, and it got taken quickly, to advertise like that i think they should have at least one flight per day or per week, but no such luck.

I got a super-cheap deal to Penang a few years ago, but a week before I was supposed to go, The Thai Embassy stopped issuing one year visas, so I had to go to Australia and lost my money on the Air Asia ticket.

Two weeks later, the Embassy in Penang started issuing one year visas again, but it was too late for me.

Amazing Thailand. :annoyed:

I got a super-cheap deal to Penang a few years ago, but a week before I was supposed to go, The Thai Embassy stopped issuing one year visas, so I had to go to Australia and lost my money on the Air Asia ticket.

Two weeks later, the Embassy in Penang started issuing one year visas again, but it was too late for me.

Amazing Thailand. :annoyed:

Once I made date change on my flight departure date on Air Asia and was able to do it. Getting to a "live" agent was the challenge (of course).

Next, getting to the assumed/advertized price is like walking through a mine field, zig zagging around extra fees on the booking site as one fills out the information. The extra "fees" for insurance, baggage, and seating are all cleaverly programmed to "trick" the buyer to accidently sign up for some of the added fees. Air Asia may be a leading thrift airline but it is also a prime example of a company that makes profit off misinformation to its customers.

I never seem to have snagged a really good deal with air asia.

Even when they had a promotion to Bali a few weeks ago, they advertised for only 2k each way, but when i tried to book for the available travel dates it ended up costing 10k return. ( still half the price of Thai air)

Like a poster mentioned, i think when they have a 4 day sale you can only get those super low prices for the first half hour.

Have managed, twice, to book 0 Baht return flights to Bali, just paid the 700 Baht Thai airport tax, had to pay the charge for using a CC on the second flight, we didn't load bags, booked seats a few days before we flew and of course had to pay the departure tax at Bali. We booked nearly a year in advance.

Have managed to book 0 & 10 Baht domestic flights and have booked mega cheap flights to Singapore, Macau and Vietnam, so it can be done. Like "jaykayem" I am not working and whilst I travel with my partner, she works in her family business so can be flexible.

Not really a secret to getting the deals, like others say you have to hit your keyboard as soon as the offers open, or even shortly before as they are sometimes are loaded early, be flexible with dates and be prepared for computer time outs, you also need to watch out for the add-ons that seem to change with each offer. For instance we have friends from the UK visiting next March and the four of us wanted to go to Chiang Mai, managed to get the flights for 10 Baht but the system defaulted to hot seats at 350 Baht, each way, per person, and I had to deselect these, it took nearly an hour to book these flights.

People often criticise AA for their lack of customer service, when I booked our flights to Chiang Mai I entered the wrong name for one of the passengers, he uses his middle name so this is what I put in, his passport has his full name. I called AA and they asked me to take a copy of his passport to one of their outlets, I did so and they corrected it without a fee, I was impressed as it was my mistake.

Edited by theoldgit

I have gotten tired of falling for their lies. I have tried to book tickets during there sales all the time. Never worked out.

Was easy, but need to book/pay many months in advance:

Have return ticket Udon-Bangkok short trip for 2 next week, paid 750THB, no need for luggage.

Have return ticket Udon-Phuket for 2 September 2011 and March 2012, also 750THB, will purchase luggage a few days before travel.

Have return ticket Udon-Bangkok for 2 Jan 2012, paid 600TB, no need for luggage.

Paid by Siam commercial bank online with debit card, no charges.

If ever I could not travel on those days, forget the ticket :whistling:

Edited by tartempion

Im not a fan of Air asa for this single reason. In normal commercial terms its called bait and switch. they bait you in on promise or lure of cheap , very cheap flights then when you get into their website they dont list the flights and prices at all , search as you may.

Im not a fan of Air asa for this single reason. In normal commercial terms its called bait and switch. they bait you in on promise or lure of cheap , very cheap flights then when you get into their website they dont list the flights and prices at all , search as you may.

So just like every airline in the world then, I guess you must use the bus to go home?

Edited by PattayaParent

Well that's not my experience. I, and many others, have managed to get cheap flights - proving to book early and can be flexible.

Their latest sale starts on the 11th, for the period Feb - June 2012.

also they make the sale travel dates so far in advance that a lot of people forget or change plans by the time the flight comes........= free money!

If you're forgetting flights you've booked for the future a visit to the doctor is advisable.

It's so difficult to get advantage of their special prices that i don't even try anymore...

And everythime when i find an airline offering seats for the same price or cheaper I use it instead of fuxxin air asia which now charges for luggage...

When did they not charge for luggage????

Juts got 30 baht each way fares to Phnom Penh for next year - though the 30 is the smallest part of the fees.

6.30am and website worked quickly, no delays.

Struck it lucky with dates, out on Saturday back on Thursday and the 30b fares available both ways. To fly the next day for both trips the fare went up to 1590b.

Full breakdown of costs as follows

Fare Bkk - PP 30; Airport Tax 700; Fuel surcharge 100; TOTAL: 830

Fare PP - Bkk 30; Airport Tax 150; Fuel Surcharge 100; Passenger Service fee 760 (this is the departure tax that used to have to be paid at PP airport, now included in airfare)

TOTAL: 1040

Online booking (convenience! fee) 180

RETURN TOTAL: 2050b per person

I chose not to buy insurance, or have inflight meals, and no check-in luggage either.

Edited by Atmos

Just tried checking the prices return to London for March next year with the latest air asia sale.

Even 8 months in advance i am getting total costs of 32-35k depending on the day of the week and that doesn't include extras.

As of october 24 this year they will not fly in to Stansted anymore, they are switching to Gatwick. (Stansted was the only reason i considered them)

Probably better for me to use the full service airlines for a little extra.

The ever elusive air asia bargain!!!!!!!!!