What Happens To 7-11 Clerks When They Get Old!?!

Jingthing

It occurred to me that 7-11, Family Mart clerks are for the most part, quite young. Sure I've seen a few more senior, like maybe 40 and perhaps with more responsibility, but I don't recall seeing any long in the tooth clerks. As a class of Thai workers, I think these workers are mostly great. Fast, efficient, sawatdee khrapping all over the place, the worst I have seen from them is allowing line jumpers to get away with it. So I wonder what happens to them after they look too old to fit in there? I mean imagine having 20 years experience doing the same job, living and breathing 7-11, and then what? Are they fired, pushed out, or do they just walk away in shame (to do what?)?

I am concerned.

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread has nothing to do with bar girls.

I guess you could expand this to other similar clerks. For example, I saw an ad for Bookazine employment. Like many Thai firms, they have a required age range for applying. So they get the job and work there for years, then they grow OUT of the age range (not long actually). Then what?

If I were a redshirt, so called progressive in the country, I would demand that these social employment issues get raised in Thailand and dealt with. Such as unreasonable hiring age restrictions, not to mention some of the blatantly racist ones saying thing like light skinned only.

Edited by Jingthing

OK I'm suggesting they get married and their daughters take their place. They live out their lives happily back in the village.

Or they move to Vegas and work the bingo halls. Or something more glamorous....take your pick.

Edited by smokie36

You must be REALLY bored tonight, JT.

Believe it or not, just like in the states and some other countries, convenience store jobs are suitable for young people largely because they're often living at home, and often still students of some kind or another. Same with coffee shop workers, cinema attendants, etc.- other unskilled jobs often filled by quite young staff.

When they finish that next stage- whether it's finishing a degree, saving up for the next stage in school, etc.- they move on.

Hardly a mystery!

Not sure your nationality but you are wrong. Convenience store clerks in the US are quite often very old (and often immigrants).

You're also wrong about the Thailand clerks. Many work for years, many have only finished I think the 9th grade(or something like that) and I sincerely think MOST of them are NOT going to college! I mean ever.

Edited by Jingthing

I dunno, JT, maybe you shop in different stores (quite likely since we don't live in the same city) but most of the clerks here in central Bangkok are college-student age, and quite often are college students or aspiring to be.... maybe it depends on whether one lives in a college town or not.

It`s all to do with companies preferring how they describe as the upmarket young image.

I have seen evidence in Thailand of staff, especially the women that have worked with the same company for years and once they reach middle age are either given the sack or pressured out the company.

The girlfriend’s sister in law at Bangkok had been working as a saleslady for a drug company since she was 22 years old. Then one day last year at the age of 37 her boss called her into the office. He gave her 2 choices; either go and work up country with a 50% cut in salary or leave. She opted to leave.

The bosses logic is that his mostly male customers are more likely to buy from an attractive young lady then from someone who is middle aged. I have also heard of female staff working for big well known companies, including insurance outfits that will oblige a client with sexual favours to obtain a long term contract or an extremely profitable deal. Especially those working on commissions and on a must sell a certain amount or you’re out policy.

The boss sees this as an advantage because of course he does not care how the money is made, providing it keeps rolling in.

As for the 7-11 staff, similar applies as far as the young image is concerned. I guarantee that if someone over the age of 35 applied for the job, it would be a; don`t call us, we’re call you story.

It`s the same all over Thailand where staff are in direct contact with the customers.

Sad but true.

As for the 7-11 staff, similar applies as far as the young image is concerned. I guarantee that if someone over the age of 35 applied for the job, it would be a; don`t call us, we’re call you story.

It`s the same all over Thailand where staff are in direct contact with the customers.

Sad but true.

I have to say I really don't care how old they are so long as I don't have to wait around too long before I get served that's all that matters.

How thought provoking.

I'm guessing here, but I imagine it's the same thing that happens to any of us when we get older. I spent some time in a small village, and there was always a card game going on at someones house. Mostly, it was women in their 40's who had retired, and were spending their retirement in the village they grew up in. I doubt there was much chance of them advancing into positions that offered a retirement package. Hopefully, they had had enough children who could support them.

The same goes for bargirls who don't get married, and then take their husband(s) to the cleaners.

It's the same with any of the quick server franchise type places (look at KFC, McDonald's etc...how many 50 year olds working the register at KFC?)

Because i don't think anyone sees working the register at one of these places as a career, it's just a "for now" type of job until something better comes a long.

What if older people WANT to stay in those jobs? Why shouldn't they be able. I have a relative who is "challenged" and the best job he will ever possibly get in his life or ever hope to get is cart boy at a supermarket. He's over 50. I guess its time to kick out this sweet man and replace with a new model.

I guess you could expand this to other similar clerks. For example, I saw an ad for Bookazine employment. Like many Thai firms, they have a required age range for applying. So they get the job and work there for years, then they grow OUT of the age range (not long actually). Then what?

If I were a redshirt, so called progressive in the country, I would demand that these social employment issues get raised in Thailand and dealt with. Such as unreasonable hiring age restrictions, not to mention some of the blatantly racist ones saying thing like light skinned only.

They are not clerks, .A clerk is a person who works in an office ,bank or law court whose job is to look after the accounts or records of that organisation.. He/She also sits at a desk..

I think many people use their work experience at 7-11 as a springboard to other better jobs.

I have a Thai friend who worked at 7-11 when she was in her twenties.

In four years or so she had worked her way up to Assistant Manager. Then she could list that as a job qualification and used it to get a job as an assistant manager at a major Japanese restaurant chain. She worked there for about four years and used both of those qualifications to get a decent position at a major supermarket chain, and is working her way up to a good management position there. She's in her mid-thirties now.

But having said that, there are quite a few 30 to 40 year old ladies working at my local 7-11s here on Onnut.

I'd find it sad if there were over 50's working in a 7/11 because for 30 years they have never bothered to better themselves

The company is doing them a favour by giving them the boot before 30, it may be the kick that they need.

Edited by scottyd

A friend married a gal from the PI and she was 30 guess what really hard time finding a job. She said forget a restarurant under 25 was the qualification for those jobs same all over asia especially a place like the PI with a very young population.

Not sure your nationality but you are wrong. Convenience store clerks in the US are quite often very old (and often immigrants).

You're also wrong about the Thailand clerks. Many work for years, many have only finished I think the 9th grade(or something like that) and I sincerely think MOST of them are NOT going to college! I mean ever.

For awhile, not sure if it's still the same, the requirement from 7-11 was Mor 6 (or finishing high school). So basically there's still a broad spectrum of high school requirement work for them if they want to move on up like George and Wheezy from 7-11 cashier. They can also go entrepreneurial and collect aluminum and glass for resale.

:)

Western PC police is not "progressive", it is backwards, 70's ideology.

7/11 is a private business. They decide themselves what age range they demand, what beauty standards their staff should follow. Nothing "racist", just normal common sense.

Western PC police is not "progressive", it is backwards, 70's ideology.

7/11 is a private business. They decide themselves what age range they demand, what beauty standards their staff should follow. Nothing "racist", just normal common sense.

So what you are saying is that you personally favor basically a hard core, corporate rights rule, laissez faire right wing ideology. That's your option, but don't you dare call progressive politics backwards or dated. Just different (left of you). Currently, in the US we have a somewhat progressive president. Last time I checked, the year now is 2011, not 1975. Edited by Jingthing