80 Million Baht Algerian ATM Fraudster Arrested By Pattaya Police

Rimmer

80 Million Baht Algerian ATM Fraudster arrested by Pattaya Police

PATTAYA: -- An Algerian accused of an ATM fraud valued at over 80 Million Baht was arrested by Transnational Crime Officers based at Pattaya Police Station on Wednesday. Police Colonel Tirapon, Deputy Commander of Chonburi Provincial Police announced the arrest of Mr. Abdelmalek Boukemara aged 35 at a Siam Commercial Bank branch in South Pattaya earlier on Wednesday. He had been wanted for some time and was thought to have been removing money from mostly French bank accounts in the amount of 1 Million Baht per day. He would then deposit the money in a Thai Bank account before transferring the money back to Algeria.

Full story and pictures HERE

pattaya-one.jpg

-- Pattaya One 2011-07-07

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

He had been wanted for some time and was thought to have been removing money from mostly French bank accounts in the amount of 1 Million Baht per day. He would then deposit the money in a Thai Bank account before transferring the money back to Algeria.

Nobody knew him in Ali Baba's shop near walking street.

Using my imagination that they were looking for him pretty long and one million baht a day was indeed good money.

Can't do this alone I guess.... :jap:

Edited by sirchai

And no one at his Thai bank thought to ask, "Excuse me, Sir, but where are these funds coming from?" And he was able to transfer these large sums out of the country without question? Every time I want to make a telegraphic transfer from my BBL account, I get an extensive questioning about where the money came from and what the purpose of the transfer is.

I also get a lot of questions about transferring money out of Thailand, especially after the gov. changed the transfer rules after Thaksin fled the first time. The bank have even declined my transfers before when i forgot to bring my work permit along with me. Some bank officers must have been paid off.

I also get a lot of questions about transferring money out of Thailand, especially after the gov. changed the transfer rules after Thaksin fled the first time. The bank have even declined my transfers before when i forgot to bring my work permit along with me. Some bank officers must have been paid off.

You went to the "wrong" bank or "wrong" branch. Some banks do not even need to see you and can set it up to transfer through internet banking.

This is Thailand-everything is possible.

Also do keep in mind banks charge pretty hefty fee, so bank is happy to do the transfers

Edited by kuffki

it beggars believe that someone can continue to withdraw 1.000,000 bht a day? I means surely its not possible and even if it was nobody checked at anytime ? No wonder the US government puts Thailand on Terrorist dangerous sttae when guys can send money from Thailand to a country such as Algeria know for terrorists links

it beggars believe that someone can continue to withdraw 1.000,000 bht a day? I means surely its not possible and even if it was nobody checked at anytime ? No wonder the US government puts Thailand on Terrorist dangerous sttae when guys can send money from Thailand to a country such as Algeria know for terrorists links

its only $30 000, not exactly a HUGE amount of money, not to mention OP does not say if he sent full amount in 1 go or different amounts to different accounts through different banks totaling $30 000

But $30,000 being transferred daily to one or many external accounts is not the norm....seems that should raise some high and bright flags to the bank.

True, but again depends if he used the same bank or even the same branch.

Perhaps the fact that he got caught means that there are checks in place.

Should have quit while he was ahead. But they never do, do they?

:)

The ones that you don't hear about are the ones you don't know about.. I imagine there's a fair few early quitters!

I was at a red light near Makkasan yesterday during evening rush hour, a North African looking man, stepped out of the red plates Camry Hybrid in front of me from the driver's side. He closed the car door and then lit up a fag, meanwhile crowded by a number of motocycles, he took about 3 drags before the lights changed to green. He then got back into his car with the fag in hand still.

Initially I thought he had an infant in the car and needed his fix badly, I have never seen this kinda of thing in 12 years. and he was dressed as if he just woke up from sleep with ruffled shirts. My guess was he wanted to impress the natives. He moved before i was able to lean on my horn when the green returned.

May be was headed to the Pattaya ATMs.

Off topic sorry.

If he stopped at 70M that is more than 2M US. I think I could learn to live on something like that. Take your time and burn through if for a few years and repeat when needed.

I just earn my the slow way...go to work everyday when I am at home.

One of the best lines I have ever heard. "If you want a small fortune in Thailand, start with a large one".

What are the step by step ways to steal1 million baht per day?

Just asking!

Thinking same.... I guess the felon or fellow whichever way you want to see it, was buying the cards with the corresponding pin nos, or was it much more complicated? I want to know as well (just as a matter of interest of course)

Being able to know how do this is brilliant getting caught is dumb.

Thailand the hub of crime. Does seem to attract all the worse criminals from around the world, and they always end up in Pattaya?

From Pattaya News One: " Mr. Boukemara has been in Thailand for three months and is thought to have recently come to Pattaya from Phuket."

You went to the "wrong" bank or "wrong" branch. Some banks do not even need to see you and can set it up to transfer through internet banking.

Also do keep in mind banks charge pretty hefty fee, so bank is happy to do the transfers

i am up for controlling thorougly everybody and everything that comes from those 'dangerous' countries ...

sadly in most european countries, they import these kind of criminals, give them money and shelter, even if they are illegal

and afterwards give them nationality without any check or counterpart (find a job, learning the local language etc)

must have had some inside help - within a Thai bank. I hope there are some serious repercussions (jail time), rather than a mere scolding for whomever is found to have aided the thief.