Major Floods Hua Hin

JimmyGreaves

Spoke with a friend down there and he said it rained hard for the past 24hrs but let up somewhat now. Localised minor flooding only. Depends what area or even soi one is in. For example, it always seems to flood on the corner soi, east side of the Wat during heavy rain.

Here's the elapsed radar image

Edit: click "radar image animation" at the top left. Here's the latest still image:

c8f8a1897a.gif

Edited by baht&sold

Just been told that there were major floods in Hua Hin last night. Any news on the worst areas affected and what is the current situation?

John

A friend rang me this morning (I'm in BKK) and told me that Highway 4 (Phetchakasem) was flooded in Khao Tao area due to the KT fresh water lake overflowing. That's around`Soi 126 about 12 kms S.

Renting a bungalow on Soi 102 and just heard all the rooms are underwater up to an average thais neck, lost all our gear. If anyone gets updates regarding the state of the floods please post.

John

I know what part of 102 you're talking about :o

Now your bungalow would only be up to your calves in water - I just came from that area. The government set up a tent last night and deployed boats in case the flooding got worse - but fortunately it did not.

Go down to the tent and have someone on a boat take you down if you want to collect your things.

(That area always floods, by the way, because it rests in such a deep depression)

Edited by thohts

My landlady said Khao Takiab had not been this badly flooded in at least 50 years. She let me move to a vacant upstairs apt. when I got an inch of water in my bungalow. It was at least knee deep in the road in front of Khao Takiab from noon to midnight. But by 6 a.m. Tuesday, even though there was light rain, the road had no standing water.

When the landlady called around 4 p.m., she said in bad floods, the electricity company shuts the power off to the whole neighborhood, to avoid electrocutions in low lying areas.

Thanks for the updates guys. Much appreciated. Which building company had the great idea to build a couple of estates in such a deep depression? PeaceBlondie, funny you said that about 50 years, my girlfriend said she was told the exact same thing yesterday.

Edited by jflundy

Not sure about Khao Takieb, but there were much worse floods in HH 4.5 years ago. The rain was as heavy as this time, but it went on for about 8-9 days. The centre of town was a no go area, with flood water up to your waist. It was a big effort to get across some of the streets around the temple. There was a very real risk of being swept away.

Oct 13th, 1999? Cars floating down poolsuk, small rapids on side sois (hard to walk up them without getting knocked over) kids having a blast, waste deep water even at the night market intersection as you say. Still have the video somewhere. Apparently the flood was one of those once in a lifetime events, exacerbated by record prolonged rainfalls and logging/land clearing in the mountains.

Everyone pitched in on the cleanup, kids, elders, soldiers, monks, city hall, local expats, tourists, the lot (all in a sanook-like atmosphere) and amazingly, by the next weekend you'd never know there was a flood at all. That's Hua Hin.

Well I hope we don't have another 'once in a lifetime event' as there was more last night and our bungalow still has a foot of water inside, Outside 3 foot in places and forcast more to come. Living in a hotel which is not such fun when your used to your own place and stressed up to the eyeballs!

Thanks for the updates guys. Much appreciated. Which building company had the great idea to build a couple of estates in such a deep depression? PeaceBlondie, funny you said that about 50 years, my girlfriend said she was told the exact same thing yesterday.

It wasn't originally in such a deep depression, but became so when the next development (to the west) was built much higher up. This makes all the rain from the more elevated development drain down into the older development's properties.

So much for city planning.