Thai Airways Upgrade Aircraft Cabins To Attract More Passengers

webfact

Should have started years ago, they must have seen the lack of customers, and also using airlinequality.com or other blogs they could have seen the problems and acted accordingly.

Now put the prices down and some customers might use them.

75% customers per flight, cannot believe that for International flights, for national flights okay.

prices down? You have to be joking! Things like that don't happen at Thai! :lol:

they don't get it and they never will get it :rolleyes:

There are just so many better opportunities than Thai

normal Thai method is put prices up,to compesate for lost custom.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a start . . .

but also try fair pricing with no surprise mystery fees and taxes !

Fair prices. Cleaner planes. Better service.

and upgrade the ageing fleet as soon as you can

As fast as you can, like the final quarter of next year! They also need to be realistic about their pricing structure for long term flights, at the moment they are outrageous, they do not come close to half the price the competition is charging.

As someone who does not sleep on planes, the lack of individual in-flight entertainment is a deal-breaker for me. I stopped using TA on the Australia run, even though they have a direct flight.

I am retired, so I go cattle-class. :annoyed:

I am the same, cannot sleep on the plane and like to read a book most of the way.As the flight leaves Melbourne after mid-night most people like to sleep and the air hostesses feel that I am annoying them by having my overhead light on and they just keep coming along and turning it off.They won,t even serve you with a drink. i changed from TA a long time back and have no regrets.

Singapore Airlines had those personal screens in economy as far back as 97, hard to believe that Thai Airways is only installing them now. As a previous poster put it if they can now make their prices a bit more competitive then they might start to be more attractive, especially for those wanting direct flights to Thailand. Eva still does it for me at the moment.

They are in good company for not having personal screens on the 747. KLM and Lufthansa don't have them in this plane too. Thai airways have them in a few other models already, the 777 for example. But yes, its one of those things that the 2011-traveler expects to get on a long haul plane, so if you plan to keep a older model like 747 operating over the next 10 years, its time to upgrade the interior. I just hope that they keep the relative good seat spacing with the upgrade too. Compared to a couple of european carries Thai airways is economy heaven...

Nice to see Thai Airways is at last attempting to match it's rivals on it's in board services. It may come as a surprise to Thais but other airline's staff can smile sweetly too. Now if only Thai Airways could match their rival's fares they could be back in business.

Edited by bigbamboo

I take TG as I am a Star Alliance member. But I really don't like it. I just flew in from Manila on Wednesday. Old seats, not only no personal entertainment center, but no working other screen visible from my seat. And as a Star Alliance Gold member, this is the third flight in a row where they run out of my choice for food. I can fly from BKK to MNL on Philippines Airlines for 2,000 baht less, and their 747's are all upgraded.

I flew TG from BKK to Frankfurt and back from Paris in May, and I didn't eve get my miles credited. Seems as if the class of ticket my company bought only gives miles if you are a Thai mileage member, not another Star Alliance member. I should have flown Lufthansa out and anything else back. I could have had a cheaper ticket, a better plane, and my miles credited by flying almost anyone else.

THAI is nice and offers the best choice of destinations to/from Thailand, which is why I tend to fly with them (also, I am a frequent flyer so I have to stick with Star Alliance Airlines, of which Thai is a founding member). For non-stop service to/from Thailand and say Sydney, they are the best choice and all their aircraft on this route offer seat back entertainment and relatively new aircraft (A340-600). For service between Bangkok and Brisbane or Bangkok and Perth, they are the only option for non-stop travel and on these routes relatively new aircraft are used (A330 for Perth to Bangkok/Phuket, B777-200 or B777-300 for Brisbane). Ditto for Zurich, where the A340-600 aircraft has been used for a number of years now and has seat-back entertainment since that time (previously they used MD-11 until that aircraft type was retired from service). I'm guessing that most of you guys complaining about the lack of seat-back entertainment, old planes etc. are flying on routes where these aircraft are used (however, I don't since I only ever fly to Zurich when travelling to Europe and in the case of Australia and many major Asian cities, plus Los Angeles new aircraft with seat-back entertainment are used). Hopefully things will change soon, but the only routes I regularly fly which feature old aircraft are Bangkok to Kunming (A300-600), and Phnom Penh (B737-400), however, both of these flights are rather short (Phnom Penh is even shorter than Bangkok-Chiang Mai, even though Phnom Penh is an international flight...the flight only takes around 55 minutes on average), and Bangkok-Kunming is also short enough (between 1h40m and 2h depending on the direction and wind conditions) that seat-back entertainment is not a big concern, though I would still prefer more options than just the earphones they give you on the Kunming flight, all the while you hear a crackling noise more clearly than the music.

Also, both Kunming and Phnom Penh flights that I have travelled on have tended to be very empty recently. I can understand the reasons behind why Phnom Penh is not so popular right now (mainly amongst Thais), but Kunming regularly attracts large groups of Thai students and Thai tour groups...still, they can't be expected to fill every plane load. Last two flights from Kunming to Bangkok (end of December 2010 and late June) were only about 25-30% full. That means many rows in the center of the aircraft were completely empty (that was nice though, more personalized service and fewer passengers to wait for etc.). Last flight to Phnom Penh in February only had about 40-50% of its seats taken, and 2 family members of mine that went there in March remarked that they counted no more than about 10 passengers in total.

I also agree about SIA though. When flying to Europe (Zurich for me) and/or Australia, they are a good choice and often have more competitive fares than THAI; however, clearly THAI is the winner on many regional routes, in some cases there is no alternative (e.g. Bangkok to Chengdu) or the alternative isn't a full service carrier and carries too many conditions (though the fares can often be a lot cheaper) or is not very competitive in terms of price, schedule or service e.g. routes to Ho Chi Minh, Hanoi, Phnom Penh, Yangon where Air Asia is offered as an alternative, Vientiane (Lao Airlines is neither cheap nor a very good carrier, I'd still fly THAI instead but then again THAI only offers service to Vientiane, if you need to get from Bangkok to Pakse, Savannakhet or Luang Prabang (from Bangkok or Chiang Mai), you'll have to fly Lao Airlines).

BTW bonobo, you will need to check the THAI website as to which booking classes don't qualify for full mileage or any mileage when flying with other carriers. There are many exceptions and if they bought you a relatively cheap ticket then indeed you won't be eligible for THAI miles. Has happened to me a few times, but since I have almost always booked my own flights in recent years I've tried to ensure I do receive miles even if I have to pay a bit extra.

BTW bonobo, you will need to check the THAI website as to which booking classes don't qualify for full mileage or any mileage when flying with other carriers. There are many exceptions and if they bought you a relatively cheap ticket then indeed you won't be eligible for THAI miles. Has happened to me a few times, but since I have almost always booked my own flights in recent years I've tried to ensure I do receive miles even if I have to pay a bit extra.

Thais Modern aircraft usually on the Australia routes are leased from an Indian company (b777er) I believe. posters are talking about perks=monitors= instead of the answer to the topic, why spend a few billion refurbish aged 747s etc, 20+ years of service to last another 10 years. For gods sake that will give them one of the oldest fleets in the worlds top 100 airlines, why not speak to Airbus again and get the orders put back on the actual delivery dates, use the money on 2 or 3 new aircraft and stop the cosmetics. The new aircraft will give them greater economy and already have the new upgrades.

One poster did say he would rather pay a lot more money for his ticket to get his air miles :lol: Why pay for your air miles to get them back ???????????

When they run their special offers TG can be one of the Cheaper airlines but they are a rip off the rest of the time Qatar Airways are ok and quite reasonably priced most of the time their in-flight entertainment is quite good but Doha Airport is a complete clusterf*@k at the moment although they are building a new one.

I would never fly a Middle Eastern airline to Europe for the simple reason that they interrupt my sleep half-way and I have to walk around an airport for a few hours. I will lose the whole arrival day, firstly because I arrive sometime around mid-day rather than in the morning, and I will be sleep-deprived and run around like a zombie (can't visit customers). A direct flight leaves BKK around midnight, gives me a full night of sleep, and I arive in the early morning (or mid-morning if I have to change planes to a smaller airport) and am fit to see customers before een checking into a hotel.

But of course, it depends on whether you fly for pleasure or for business.

You seem to be very Pro-Thai Airways :whistling:

I,myself only ever fly Business Class. I have lived in Thailand for many years, so most of my travelling is within Asia, with the occasional long haul.

Fact is Thai airways is and has been for some time, crap, in comparison to most other airlines. Comapare Cathay and Singapore airlines with Thai....... its not even close :lol:

I recently used Qatar Airways to go back to the UK. Not only were their prices significantly lower than Thai, but their service was unbelievable. I dont think a 55 minute turn around in Abu Dhabi is too taxing!!

I even recently flew to Phnom Penh with Bangkok Airways Business Class... even they are a million times better than Thai Airways.

You can defend Thai Airways as much as you want.... maybe Khun whatsisname is going to make improvements, but as of right now they are way way behind most airlines in every department

Yes, I understand that. You don't need the promise of a nice seat next year or so, you need it when you fly and that is probably now. That's also why many seats are empty (as people in this thread have reported).

As someone who does not sleep on planes, the lack of individual in-flight entertainment is a deal-breaker for me. I stopped using TA on the Australia run, even though they have a direct flight.

I am retired, so I go cattle-class. :annoyed:

I am the same, cannot sleep on the plane and like to read a book most of the way.As the flight leaves Melbourne after mid-night most people like to sleep and the air hostesses feel that I am annoying them by having my overhead light on and they just keep coming along and turning it off.They won,t even serve you with a drink. i changed from TA a long time back and have no regrets.

Maybe you should try TG (Thai Airways) instead of TA (TACA Airlines, Guatemala) to have a better experience.

SCNR.

Why whine? I live here for more than 25 years and gave up TG when there was still TG and TH (Thai Airways and Thai Airways International). Got bumped off a plane for a senior TG-management member (an Air Chief Marshal I was told) and I never flew TG again. My company, my family and me must have accounted for millions of revenue which went to any other airline but TG. Spoilt for choice? Yes - today you are anyway as there is no monopolistic routing anymore.The proof of the pudding is in the eating!

I don't doubt that. A new era has started sometime between 25 years ago and today, though. But still, the choice of airlines is yours and any airline needs to compete on the whole line of services and prices.

I was bumped off an American Airlines (AA) flight from Europe to the US once, because a higher-paying customer required my seat. That was while I was on the plane already from my hometown, during a stop-over. I even had to pay for the hotel myself! Even though this was over 25 years ago. I won't fly AA again and I can fully understand your sentiment.

The reason I did not "answer" (I am not the spokesperson, by the way :whistling: ) to the comments made about buying aircraft is that I don't know anything about the background of the changed decision beyond what was in the papers. I won't make assumptions or create or spread rumours, so I thought it best to not comment. Is that OK with you? :jap:

Rumours-I don't tell porky pies--The statement that was made was on Thai Visa if you were wanting the truth you would have looked the thread up-a true report on the orders of the new aircraft-stated how many-when they will be phased in-what types-and this was by the chief himself.

As to the delay that was put on the European new A380, and others it said was due to shortage of cash QUOTE. Just to note compare the price of a new B-777er-----A-380. to the price of the refurbishment. ====20+ year old 747-400s. Normally we would give a refurb on an antique with its value increasing NOT on aged old planes that could well be scrapped or sold off to say (((Mongolian airlines)) with respect to them. if then you want to learn more about the above look the thread up it was only a short time ago. I dont hate Thai Airways-I am a member. But I do care about what I fly in and also cost compare, as we all do these days. I think I have been honest with my posts, and not on a Etihad/Emirates/Singapore/Cathay paycheck.

I did ask you if the chief in his refurb speech mentioned the delays?? and the other points...He wouldn't if he a

was spouting on about the changes he wishes to make, spending money that was to be spent on aircraft waiting in Europe to be delivered. Save the money-even if you only get 2 A380s for the London/Europe run.

I don't know anything about this. Forgive me if I don't answer in detail. My interest during his speech was indeed on the seats and not on the policy of whether or not to buy new aircraft. As a passenger, I sit in the seat and like it or not - and am not concerned about the airline's strategy. If their strategy goes counter my interests (seat and IFE, as well as routes served), I have no choice but to use another airline. With my particular priorities, this doesn't happen very often, though.

Should have started years ago, they must have seen the lack of customers, and also using airlinequality.com or other blogs they could have seen the problems and acted accordingly.

Now put the prices down and some customers might use them.

75% customers per flight, cannot believe that for International flights, for national flights okay.

prices down? You have to be joking! Things like that don't happen at Thai! :lol:

they don't get it and they never will get it :rolleyes:

There are just so many better opportunities than Thai

Nope you're just supposed to fly them for the experience... :rolleyes:

I've never had any problem with Thai apart from some poor customer service from their office. I was a *gold for a couple of years but lost it when I couldn't afford to fly as much..

Flying LHR-SYD via Bangkok, they are the only affordable option (I choose business class when I can). And flying LHR-BKK, it's them or EVA (I don't want to be walking around an airport in the Middle East in the middle of the night.).

The reason I did not "answer" (I am not the spokesperson, by the way :whistling: ) to the comments made about buying aircraft is that I don't know anything about the background of the changed decision beyond what was in the papers. I won't make assumptions or create or spread rumours, so I thought it best to not comment. Is that OK with you? :jap:

Rumours-I don't tell porky pies--The statement that was made was on Thai Visa if you were wanting the truth you would have looked the thread up-a true report on the orders of the new aircraft-stated how many-when they will be phased in-what types-and this was by the chief himself.

As to the delay that was put on the European new A380, and others it said was due to shortage of cash QUOTE. Just to note compare the price of a new B-777er-----A-380. to the price of the refurbishment. ====20+ year old 747-400s. Normally we would give a refurb on an antique with its value increasing NOT on aged old planes that could well be scrapped or sold off to say (((Mongolian airlines)) with respect to them. if then you want to learn more about the above look the thread up it was only a short time ago. I dont hate Thai Airways-I am a member. But I do care about what I fly in and also cost compare, as we all do these days. I think I have been honest with my posts, and not on a Etihad/Emirates/Singapore/Cathay paycheck.

I did ask you if the chief in his refurb speech mentioned the delays?? and the other points...He wouldn't if he a

was spouting on about the changes he wishes to make, spending money that was to be spent on aircraft waiting in Europe to be delivered. Save the money-even if you only get 2 A380s for the London/Europe run.

I don't know anything about this. Forgive me if I don't answer in detail. My interest during his speech was indeed on the seats and not on the policy of whether or not to buy new aircraft. As a passenger, I sit in the seat and like it or not - and am not concerned about the airline's strategy. If their strategy goes counter my interests (seat and IFE, as well as routes served), I have no choice but to use another airline. With my particular priorities, this doesn't happen very often, though.

I understand, If you have your comfort and the direct flight at your times and it suits, o.k. good,

But for me its the whole aspect of it, If Thai are short of cash and have to delay the new aircraft ordered, how have they found monies to update aged ones.

I also like my comfort but to start to think about structural things when my plane is over 20 years, being re done up and therefore run it till it's WHAT ????? They are always spouting about being the worlds leading carrier, having over 70% passenger rate, WHERE has the money gone over the last 20 years ??? If you have a very old LADA car you do not fit new seats==if you have a collectors item you do.

I understand, If you have your comfort and the direct flight at your times and it suits, o.k. good,

But for me its the whole aspect of it, If Thai are short of cash and have to delay the new aircraft ordered, how have they found monies to update aged ones.

I also like my comfort but to start to think about structural things when my plane is over 20 years, being re done up and therefore run it till it's WHAT ????? They are always spouting about being the worlds leading carrier, having over 70% passenger rate, WHERE has the money gone over the last 20 years ??? If you have a very old LADA car you do not fit new seats==if you have a collectors item you do.

Refurbishing a plane's interior is much cheaper than buying a new plane. 20 years isn't that old in the life of an airliner. It's much younger than a 20 yo car. And you could hardly compare it to a Lada.

If they had the cash reserves, they'd be upgrading the entire fleet, not just the cabins, but compared to other carriers in the region, Thai is a minimum wage construction worker without any savings. It's amazing how some bad habits 'echo' all the way to the top.

:)

Refurbishing a plane's interior is much cheaper than buying a new plane. 20 years isn't that old in the life of an airliner. It's much younger than a 20 yo car. And you could hardly compare it to a Lada.

You don't say!!!!! Ha. look at what I was meaning rather than trying to pick at slight comparisons.

When you have a National carrier boasting of being in the worlds top 5, you expect better than this.

When you refurb all your fleet I agree as the world already knows it's cheaper than buying all new. BUT I never said buy ALL new, if read I said in previous posts refurb many of the less important routes. The use the cash to buy the already to be delivered A380s for the premier European routes, The Aussie routes you have leased aircraft, newish 777er,s Dont forget 20 year old planes are not dangerous we know but refurb till 10 more years passes then YES ancient . AND I didn't compare the 747-400 to the lada, you have to see why I said it.

You don't say!!!!! Ha. look at what I was meaning rather than trying to pick at slight comparisons.

When you have a National carrier boasting of being in the worlds top 5, you expect better than this.

When you refurb all your fleet I agree as the world already knows it's cheaper than buying all new. BUT I never said buy ALL new, if read I said in previous posts refurb many of the less important routes. The use the cash to buy the already to be delivered A380s for the premier European routes, The Aussie routes you have leased aircraft, newish 777er,s Dont forget 20 year old planes are not dangerous we know but refurb till 10 more years passes then YES ancient . AND I didn't compare the 747-400 to the lada, you have to see why I said it.

I see what you mean by the Lada comment.

Strange. I'm sure this is the same guy who was promising new aircarft on the London route. Guess his pitch for the money from the shareholder (Abhisit et al) fell on deaf ears, so it's time to get out the paintbrush and take a trip down Big Buy for some make-over electronics.

I can live without IFE as they fly night-times and I sleep like a baby on planes. But surely they are not planning on running those old crocs for another few years? Lucky for them that they can control competition and new entrants via the shareholder. otherwise EVA would cream them out of existence on that route (now that EVA are finally raising their food standards from bloody awful to average!

Etihad, Qatar and Emirates must be shaking in their boots (not) :rolleyes:

Strange. I'm sure this is the same guy who was promising new aircarft on the London route. Guess his pitch for the money from the shareholder (Abhisit et al) fell on deaf ears, so it's time to get out the paintbrush and take a trip down Big Buy for some make-over electronics.

I can live without IFE as they fly night-times and I sleep like a baby on planes. But surely they are not planning on running those old crocs for another few years? Lucky for them that they can control competition and new entrants via the shareholder. otherwise EVA would cream them out of existence on that route (now that EVA are finally raising their food standards from bloody awful to average!

Etihad, Qatar and Emirates must be shaking in their boots (not) :rolleyes:

Thai -Where has your money gone????????? Oil prices down again-75% occupancy -running jumbo's for 20+ years, hardly a new craft bought-monopoly in many areas-poor attitude-monies before not spent on GRADUAL updating- All the extra charges on top of the main price (many that should NOT apply now) The main thing that is so crazy about this Thai Airways topic is Thais PRICES, so to sum up, since the 747-400s were put into servce on the PROFITABLE European routes 20 years ago==I say again where has your money gone. naturally there will be no explanation, who was doing your book keeping???