Exchanging Bahts

Well, I feel kind of out of place posting this question in a forum that includes international bank mergers, etc. In any case, I have a brief question and it is obscure enough that perhaps this is the forum where there might most likely be readers who could advise me.

To the point. I

1. I have been working in Thailand for some time now and have accumulted bahts in a Thai Bank account. (Thai military bank).

2. I am working legally on a work permit so have stamped pay slips from the public institution where I work.

3. Can I exchange my bahts for, preferrably traveller's cheques (in American dollars, pounds, etc), using my stamped pay slip in the same manner I would use a Certificate of foreign exchange or perhaps there is another form of financial instrument that I can purchase with the bahts that is easily exchangeable outside of Thailand.

The obvious questions that arise...I closed my home country bank account when I left due to tax exemption regulations, so I can't use that route or a credit card solution.

Any advice greatly appreciated.