Are There Any Reliable Banks In Thailand?

I have had UOB bank for many years, even from when it was still called Bank of Asia. I have to say their service is really below of what I think is reasonable to expect. Would be interesting to hear about experiences with other banks as I want to change. Here is my complaints:

- I never get any balance statements neither by e-mail or regular mail. All I can do is update my bankbook manually

- If you loose atm card, getting a new one takes minimum 14(!!!) days and you get no notice when it is available

- Atm service is often down, especially at night. It happens so often that I think they take it down on purpose, maybe maintenance

- Atm are far between, so quite often I have to pay the penalty of using another bank's atm

- Once I transferred about 500K and because of a technicality (name misspelled) they just sat on the money, and they probably would have done it forever if I had not contacted them.

I have accepted this for a long time, but I have had it now. For at least since Monday (now six days), maybe longer for all I know, their internet bank has not been operational (https://uobcyberbanking.com).

There is no info that they are aware of the problem and working to fix it. It is just a page requesting you to inform UOB that the service is down.

Would not be surprised if these clowns are not even aware of the problems. My e-mail has at least received no answer. E-banking down for days is an absolute disgrace.

WB

Edited by Wonderboy

Bangkok Bank....been with them for years...no problems.

Regarding your remark about no monthly statement, Bangkok Bank does not provide a monthly statement either, but I'm pretty sure this is the norm for Thai banks. Bangkok Bank ATMs almost everywhere....their IBanking works just fine. No complaints.

What a lot of people don't realize is that almost all farang accounts in Thailand are savings (passbook) accounts, thus no statements.

Commercial accounts I believe require a work permit; probably more.

I've had good service from Bangkok Bank as well. Both times I lost my ATM card, it was replaced in one visit to my home branch. (Passbook & Passport required)

ATM's everywhere.

Bangkok Bank have replaced my card on the spot ! just walked in as ATM ate my card and they issued another one right there and then.

Kasikorn also issued another one on the spot when required.

I find both banks easy to to deal with and efficient. Both have Internet banking so no need for paper statements anyway.

I use two banks purely because I dont like to have "all my eggs in one basket". If the ATM or whatever should be down for whatever reason or just out of money then I have an alternative.

Both have SMS notification, with Kasikorn if the balance changes you get an sms immediately telling you what and how much and balance which I think is great.

Bankok tB ell you when money has arrived when sending from overseas.Useful services from both.

Edited by CharlieH

I have an account with Bangkok Bank for about 25 years and if anything their service just gets better including iBanking. Seem to remember getting bank statements for a few years then it stopped. As mentioned, ATMs nearly everywhere including passbook update machines and cash deposit machines.

What a lot of people don't realize is that almost all farang accounts in Thailand are savings (passbook) accounts, thus no statements.

Commercial accounts I believe require a work permit; probably more.

I've had good service from Bangkok Bank as well. Both times I lost my ATM card, it was replaced in one visit to my home branch. (Passbook & Passport required)

ATM's everywhere.

HSBC Thailand accounts provide statements and it doesn't matter what type of visa you do or do not have.

I would also like to add that I am a great supporter of Bangkok Bank for the professionalism and demeanour of their staff. We even have the services of Ian Gillard on Thaivisa, who regularly steps in to comment on any questions arising.

I shifted from HSBC to Bangkok Bank and the savings have been enormous. No more THB 600 fees every time a payment is received by the bank, and no other fees for things like paying standing orders for rental accommodation.

For personal I've used Bangkok Bank, K-Bank, UOB and SCB

For business I've used K-Bank, UOB and SCB

Bangkok Bank has been good and reliable. They have a NYC US bank that you can transfer via the US routing system, a money saver.

• UOB completely sucks. Moved all accounts to SCB.
  • SCB I was very unhappy with. Could have been the branch. I think they had a policy about not smiling and being helpful. Moved all accounts to K-Bank.
  • K-Bank is my business bank now and primary personal account. LOVE K-Bank. Fantastic service, great attitude. If I walk in a young woman is there to great me in her k-green, if I want she'll fill out my deposit/withdraw slip and make sure I get to the right window. It's really a bit over the top service for something I can do but if she's cute... Online banking is good. They have my business!

Every time I change banks, all my employees have to move if they don't have an account because payroll is direct deposit. Everyone likes K-Bank.

It all depends on what one uses a bank for. Many foreign banks use Siam Commercial Bank as their correspondent bank. I make regular transfers with SCB and have never had a problem. On the other hand, I prefer Bangkok Bank ATMs because they allow you to withdraw 25,000 baht at a time, whereas all the other ATMs limit one to 20,000. I find Bangkok Bank has the cleanest, best lit and most convenient ATM locations for my needs. I like a secure situated ATM.

I don't think one can go wrong with either SCB or BB.

I have been using K Bank now for many years and with their E banking I can get and up to date balance online, transfers etc.

The one problem I have is trying to transfer money out of Thailand as that requires a physical trip to the bank with passport etc.

All the staff in the local up country branch know me and there is usually somebody who can speak enough English so that we can get by.

When I lost my K bank cards they were replaced on the spot as soon as I handed over the police report.

- I never get any balance statements neither by e-mail or regular mail. All I can do is update my bankbook manually

I'm sure, like with Bangkok Bank's iBanking, if you want a statement, you log into your internet bank account -- and hit 'print.'

Thailand banks went "paperless" years ago to save money -- not because they were trend setters. :rolleyes: