Tourist Visa Extension - Koh Samui

Seems to me that if on a tourist visa, that they will only give 7 days extension or tell you to go down to the Malaysian border, if you want longer... ???

I've heard people arguing that on a number of times... Hope I am wrong!

This coming Monday, will probably be extra busy catching up with those not being able to do Friday, as a Holiday... there's going to be many people whining over the fact of having to pay 500 baht per day (x 3) for overstay, if they were due on Friday...

A friend of mine went there for an extension last year and was told 7 days only allowed !

And you friend has what entry? A normal 60 day tourist visa is routinely extended 30 days but a visa exempt entry would only get the 7 day under review or if a tourist visa was already extended or if a 90 day non immigrant visa entry. Only the Consulate issued tourist visa entry get the 2.4 as below

2.4 In the case of tourists:

Permission will be granted for

a period of not more than 30

days at a time but not

exceeding 90 days in total,

counting from the entry date.

(1) The alien has obtained a tourist visa

(2) The alien must not be of the nationality or type restricted by

the Performance Follow-up Committee attached to the

Immigration Bureau.

So everything went off without a hitch. Got to immigration after 2pm and left with my extension at about 3:30pm. The staff were friendly and efficient, especially considering what they have to put up with everyday. That poor girl on the front desk... Thanks all for the info, it was of great help.

And you friend has what entry? A normal 60 day tourist visa is routinely extended 30 days but a visa exempt entry would only get the 7 day under review or if a tourist visa was already extended or if a 90 day non immigrant visa entry. Only the Consulate issued tourist visa entry get the 2.4 as below

2.4 In the case of tourists:

Permission will be granted for

a period of not more than 30

days at a time but not

exceeding 90 days in total,

counting from the entry date.

(1) The alien has obtained a tourist visa

(2) The alien must not be of the nationality or type restricted by

the Performance Follow-up Committee attached to the

Immigration Bureau.

Sorry, but i cannot tell you, anyhow he comes from Switzerland every november for 4 months and has been doing this for the last 5 years.

I suspect he had a tourist visa that he extended 30 days for the first three months and then tried to do again for another month and was only able to obtain 7 days to leave stamp. 90 days is the longest stay on a normal visa entry and unless married or some other valid reason can not be extended more than those 7 days.

Up until recently had might have just crossed border for a new 30 day visa exempt entry. He should obtain a two entry tourist visa to cover a 4 month stay.

7 days to leave the country. 1,900 Baht. From Immigration.

Exit over the border and return to get 15 days by land.

ahh shit, that throws a spanner in the works. i planned my stay around a 14 day extension. guess im doing a land crossing soon. havnt done one for ages. wheres best?