Chawanon: Foreign Ministry Should Rethink The Return Of Mr Thaksin's Passports

Lite Beer

Chawanon: Foreign Ministry should rethink the return of Mr.Thaksin's passports

BANGKOK, 14 August 2011 (NNT) - According to Democrat Spokesperson Chawanon Intrakomolsut, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ plan to return the diplomatic and normal passports back to Ex-Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra is considered an improper decision.

The spokesperson claimed that the two passports issued to Mr.Thaksin during his active years as Prime Minister include a red diplomatic passport and maroon Thai citizen passport. He added that the diplomatic passport is a privilege and should only be granted to diplomatic personnel who substantially contribute to the country. However, during the Ratchada Land scandals and accusations, Mr. Thaksin’s diplomatic passport was revoked by the Criminal Court. The spokesperson stressed that it would be improper to return the privileges of the passport to Mr.Thaksin and that he was an unsuitable candidate to carry such an official document.

The spokesperson further stressed that Mr. Thakin’s controversial ‘phone-in’ speeches in 2008 also weighed in on the decision to revoke his Thai citizen passport. The ousted prime minister currently holds the two passports which remain invalid. Furthermore, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs is not the sole party in the revocation of the passports. The ‘blacklist’ by the Thai police is also another contributing factor. He added that the it would be tantamount to law breaking and the new government should not seek any means to lax the criminal charges.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-08-14 footer_n.gif

i don't understand, what is the big deal with allowing him to have a new citizen passport?

And whats the Big Deal not allowing your brothers to riot , pillage and murder in London and Birmingham... its about maintaining the law... and for heavens sake...What is a Carib Bean..?someone tell me..!

i don't understand, what is the big deal with allowing him to have a new citizen passport?

They want to give him a diplomatic one that guarantees diplomatic immunity.

POO (point of order) a diplomatic passport does not guarantee diplomatic immunity.

A citizen that has had their passport revoked due to being on the run from a prison sentence are not given a new passport when they request it. It just doesn't happen in any countries, unless some serious corruption is involved.

i) He's a convicted criminal that has not served his sentence.

ii) He's on the run from the law.

Convicted by the same system that ordered the coup, a point not lost on other countries around the world (Japan and Germany for a start). We have not heard the rhetoric about him being a terrorist for a good while. People who knock him on here would be kidding themselves if they think hes in the top 100 Thai crooks of the last century. Anyway the people have given him a mandate to help them, please give him a chance. If he delivers for the masses once again what chance some famous sculptor will be commissioned to make a Thaksin statue

Convicted by the same system that ordered the coup

Again, that just isn't true. Neither the laws nor the judges was a product of the coup. And his own proxy party in PPP was in power when he was convicted!

Convicted by the same system that ordered the coup, a point not lost on other countries around the world (Japan and Germany for a start). We have not heard the rhetoric about him being a terrorist for a good while. People who knock him on here would be kidding themselves if they think hes in the top 100 Thai crooks of the last century. Anyway the people have given him a mandate to help them, please give him a chance. If he delivers for the masses once again what chance some famous sculptor will be commissioned to make a Thaksin statue

Have you forgotten that his brother in-law was PM during the trial.

He promised to follow the courts decision.

He fled after Pastrygate.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/06/25/headlines/headlines_30076484.php

Red shirts have selective memory.

He was convicted by the judiciary actually. As for "giving him a chance", you must be out of your mind. 3,000 extra judicial killings and you think he deserves a 'second chance' to help a few more of them into holes in the ground?

"The People" didn't give Thaksin a mandate, he wasn't on the voting ticket. Let him earn his freedom by serving his sentence instead of using his billions to subvert the law.

convicted by a criminal court judge! not a government or system. he is a convicted, proven felon who refuses to do even a token sentence. he should not be given a thai passport as long as the new "government", [read corrupt, terrorist stooges] wants to pretend that they have any regard for thai law. if they want to ram thaksin down peoples throats then let's not pretend that they care about thai people and the law

He was convicted by the judiciary actually. As for "giving him a chance", you must be out of your mind. 3,000 extra judicial killings and you think he deserves a 'second chance' to help a few more of them into holes in the ground?

"The People" didn't give Thaksin a mandate, he wasn't on the voting ticket. Let him earn his freedom by serving his sentence instead of using his billions to subvert the law.

Hmmm so is this not the country where exactly powerful and influential people are above the law ? So why should it be different for Thaksin ?

Thaksin hasn't been convicted for the drugs war killings,nor have charges been laid against him - possibly because of the war's strong support among the elites and the Thai people as a whole.It was of course a disgrace but one suspects that in many cases the moral indignation (such as you have shown) is simply political opportunism - a way of attacking Thaksin.As for the policy itself we have had very recent reminders this (the scourge of drugs) is still an area that deeply worries Thais at all levels.

As for the matter of the passport as a matter of practicality, Thaksin has had little difficulty in travelling.Some countries in Western Europe as well as Japan objected (one assumes) to his political activity on their shores directed at a friendly government.Now that's changed and one logically assume he will have greater freedom to travel exactly where he likes.We will have to see: it's still not known exactly what reason the UK had for example to withdraw his visa.

As to his extradition we were assured by the ridiculous and incompetent Kasit this was in the works.Of course that little yellowshirt never had any credibility.I suspect the view among most countries is that Thaksin is certainly a rogue but that the charges against him - while genuine enough in a relatively minor way - were certainly politically motivated.This outside Kasit's fevered imagination extradition was always a pipedream.

Thaksin hasn't been convicted for the drugs war killings,nor have charges been laid against him - possibly because of the war's strong support among the elites and the Thai people as a whole.It was of course a disgrace but one suspects that in many cases the moral indignation (such as you have shown) is simply political opportunism - a way of attacking Thaksin.As for the policy itself we have had very recent reminders this (the scourge of drugs) is still an area that deeply worries Thais at all levels.

As for the matter of the passport as a matter of practicality, Thaksin has had little difficulty in travelling.Some countries in Western Europe as well as Japan objected (one assumes) to his political activity on their shores directed at a friendly government.Now that's changed and one logically assume he will have greater freedom to travel exactly where he likes.We will have to see: it's still not known exactly what reason the UK had for example to withdraw his visa.

As to his extradition we were assured by the ridiculous and incompetent Kasit this was in the works.Of course that little yellowshirt never had any credibility.I suspect the view among most countries is that Thaksin is certainly a rogue but that the charges against him - while genuine enough in a relatively minor way - were certainly politically motivated.This outside Kasit's fevered imagination extradition was always a pipedream.

Quote from above: "Convicted by the same system that ordered the coup ..... "

Wrong. He was convicted of a law established decades before which is highly desirable to ensure that PMs and politicians cannot personally buy and sell state assets. He broke the law, there is no maybe, no shade of gray, he broke a serious law which requires judges to give a serious punishment.

The judges concerned in this case had no connection to the coup or agencies that the government set up after the coup. He broke a serious law, clear documentary evidence plus video evidence available of him smiling his head of whilst signing documents which he knew were illegal and immoral.

How other countries view each other in terms of whether internal actions are politically motivated is one thing.

In this case no other country, except perhaps lawless ones, would see this as a politically motivated conviction.

Edited by scorecard

all thak sin ever did was deliver to his own pocket while throwing out the odd cheap sweetner to keep the majority at bay, he is a crook and an evil man bent on saving face and revenge, the average thai could not even comprehend the amount of money he extorted of them

POO (point of order) a diplomatic passport does not guarantee diplomatic immunity.

True, the notion that other countries have to respect a political passport is incorrect. All countries have the right to ban anybody regardless of any form of travel document that person produces. It cannot be any other way.

True, the notion that other countries have to respect a political passport is incorrect. All countries have the right to ban anybody regardless of any form of travel document that person produces. It cannot be any other way.

Not simply that, if you are not part of a diplomatic mission all your red passport is good for is getting through airports faster. If you are, for example, a Montenegrin with a diplomatic passport but are on holiday in France ... your passport amounts to absolutely zero protection.

I've seen UN passports rejected by Malaysian immigration for the simple reason that the officer hadn't seen one before. It was quite funny. He just said "No" and tossed it back.

III) He is a citizen of Montenegro,and a few other country's as I understand, and a Thai citizen is not allowed to have a dual nationality lets stand quadruple nationality's.

Edited by janverbeem

by giving him a passport , you are allowing him to come back, good luck in that, at least the baht will go up to the us dollar, then.

He is already allowed to come back...he is the one refusing to. Until they manage to somehow whitewash his crimes, past and present.

iii) He was convicted at the behest of the people who sponsored a military coup to overthrow him.

iii) He was convicted at the behest of the people who sponsored a military coup to overthrow him.

Seriously, is this kind of misinformation going to continue for years, until you have written your own history-books so everyone in your village will stay ignorant to what really happened?

So your saying the people Elected Taksin not Yingluk? I'm confused??? or are they one in the same? or Yingluk is exactly wht people have been saying all along.. I puppet in a Brand name Skirt...

So your saying He is a Thai crook but hey that's OK hes not in the top 100 Thai crooks of the last century?

People have Given HIM a mandate? Dont you mean Her and the PTP party?

Japan has not issued him any special considerations and why would they he only wants to visit to blow his own trumpet and pretend he gives a shit about the Japanese who were effected by the Tsunami...

Take your BS elsewhere