Whats The Biggest Outlay When Building A Home

Dont wanna go crazy ,only want to spend upto 1.5 million and build a bungalow about 150sqm... Hopefully be able to build something ok in that price rance but dont have a clue of costs of building materials... Guess ill be busy looking for the next 6 months

If you got the land cheap then the fill to stop it flooding will be the most expensive component.

In reality, much depends on what and where you intend building, multi-Baht a-la Mrbojangles or multi-million-Baht a-la Crossy :)

It will be the materials and labor mate,but i think you know that already,keep cool and don't get flustered when things do not go as planned......and take your time spending the doe!

It depends on your plans and the size of house and land for more advice,for instance a mates garden is like an oasis and his outlay was as much as he forked out on the house now,it is his hobby though.

If you got the land cheap then the fill to stop it flooding will be the most expensive component.

In reality, much depends on what and where you intend building, multi-Baht a-la Mrbojangles or multi-million-Baht a-la Crossy :)

Her father has built the land up already only cost 15k baht .. Ive saw bungalows built for 1 million and they look nice but i suppose its what building materials you choose that makes the price inflate

Get your arse down to a few builders yards around town biggrin.gif take a camera and a pen and paper...oh and the Mrs write the quotes down and after a few days you will be pissed off but you will have learnt a lot,and then when you decide to build at least you will have some knowledge,best bet mate is talk to a few local farang and pick there brains.good luck

ps i hoped you watched the REDS at the weekend wink.gif

Her father has built the land up already only cost 15k baht .. Ive saw bungalows built for 1 million and they look nice but i suppose its what building materials you choose that makes the price inflate

Yeah, the materials make all the difference. If you look at Crossy's thread, the footings etc are top notch and he is obviously building a two storey and probably will have a top of the range roof. My Budget thread is for a bungalow and doesn't have the same type of foundations but they will be good enough for the kind of roof I intend putting on. Somewhere in between Crossy's and mine may meet your budgets.

Will you be present during the build or will it be done in your absence?

Labour might be the single biggest cost......think works out at around 30% of the build cost.

So at 1500000.....450k or theres abouts....not many other single items should cost that much, like concrete or windows or the loof etc.

Get your arse down to a few builders yards around town biggrin.gif take a camera and a pen and paper...oh and the Mrs write the quotes down and after a few days you will be pissed off but you will have learnt a lot,and then when you decide to build at least you will have some knowledge,best bet mate is talk to a few local farang and pick there brains.good luck

ps i hoped you watched the REDS at the weekend wink.gif

Arnie your correct mate im gonna have to get busy and start looking.. Its great looking at other ppls house builds on here... oh and you beat a shit arsenal team... nothing to see here move on plz :whistling:

Yeah, the materials make all the difference. If you look at Crossy's thread, the footings etc are top notch and he is obviously building a two storey and probably will have a top of the range roof. My Budget thread is for a bungalow and doesn't have the same type of foundations but they will be good enough for the kind of roof I intend putting on. Somewhere in between Crossy's and mine may meet your budgets.

yeah ill be present everyday , does crossy and yourself have a thread in here because it will help me and give me some good info??

Will you be present during the build or will it be done in your absence?

yeah ill be present everyday , does crossy and yourself have a thread in here because it will help me and give me some good info??

Yes, if you go for gold taps on the jacuzzi and marble tiles on the walls and floors throughout then the finishings will cost the most.

If you go for bog standard local finishings then the shell will cost the most.

Steel: The heavier the grade the higher the cost, depends on the type of roof tiles and the load to be carried. Also specify real rebar (More money) not heavy guage wire

Concrete: By the bag with a pile of sand and gravel and batch mixed on site (old school) or delivered by truck

Bricks: Using the little red bricks that are cheap and shitty?, using the larger concrete ones that are a little more expensive and also shitty, Using superblock? (My choice should I be lucky enough to build again)

That's your 3 biggest areas of expense IMHO

It will mostly be what you choose for materials. Mine will end up costing around 2.6 million for 150 sq meters but everything is at high end of quality. Granite floors, a western kitchen, bathtub and shower cabinets. Q-con block walls.

It also depends on how far you have to run the electric. I had to pay 300,000 to get it run 2 km.

As they have said, don't let the delays get you down. I am in the making for about 2 years so far and haven't started building yet.

I had some really rude waiting times. Still trying to choose a builder.

Our house (170sqm) cost 2million for all the materials, of which the roof was the most expensive 400,000 for the tiles and steel..

Then the kitchen which cost 100,000..

Additionally: total amount for the workers and their daily bottles of end of work whiskey and leo was just under half a million..

Good Luck B)

You may find that variations will be expensive too.

Variations are the things that happen after you get the quote and sign up for it and then you say to the builder "No I actually didn't want that, I really wanted this" when you are part way through the building and the builder has to tear stuff down and rebuild it differently. Perhaps you change your mind about the quality of this or that and you have to re-order new stuff that is not in stock and then you have a delay and maybe pay the builder for down time.

It is all good fun and the first thing you get the builder to do is to make a very strong wall about 2 x 2 metres so that you will have something to bang your head against in frustration.

Good luck to you.

Another thing to watch is that you keep a record of what you spend when you go somewhere and see something you like like a kitchen sink or fitting. It is easy to spend a lot more than you planned because you do not account for these items and they add up.

You may find that variations will be expensive too.

Variations are the things that happen after you get the quote and sign up for it and then you say to the builder "No I actually didn't want that, I really wanted this" when you are part way through the building and the builder has to tear stuff down and rebuild it differently. Perhaps you change your mind about the quality of this or that and you have to re-order new stuff that is not in stock and then you have a delay and maybe pay the builder for down time.

It is all good fun and the first thing you get the builder to do is to make a very strong wall about 2 x 2 metres so that you will have something to bang your head against in frustration.

Good luck to you.

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy: