Chiang Mai Night Safari

JeffreyMcCollum

Been in the Chiang Mai area for 6+ years. Live a few km away from the night safari.

with my new found time, now I am not working 70 hours a week, yesterday my wife said lets ride over to the Night Safari.

To please her I reluctantly said OK,

First surprise was all the wildlife walking around outside the gates.

Parked up near the main entry with my motorbike and there was more things to see at no cost.

To walk inside, With my Thai ID, it was 50 baht each. at first I thought what is to see ?

But I paid and we walked around. There is a large pond or maybe more like a small lake that you can walk around.

Along the way there are many things to see

The loop is about 1.5km and 50 - 100 animals to see. Some in chages, some just walking free

we ended up spending 3 hours there looking

And if I may suggest, if you ever have a free afternoon, go check it out, It was a good value for the money

Night Safari is off Canal Road, south of town

I would imagine he is referring to his Thai driver's license and not Thai ID which is available to Thai Nationals only.

C.M. Night Safari is a great cheap outing for those with kids. Sometimes they even waive the 50 Baht fee. We've been about 15 times over the years. We buy a big bag of carrots at the market and get there at dusk when the deer come out for feeding. The sun conures are my favorite. You can go inside the cage and feed them. 10 or 15 of them will come and sit on your shoulders and arms while you hand feed them. They are very gentle and playful birds. My kid loves going to the Night Safari.

Having said that, some of the animals there are in absolutely horrible condition.

Interesting, I've never been to the Night Safari, having been to a few attractions in Thailand, (not all) I've become a little jaded as far as just whether they are worth going.

I have to say the title; 'Night Safari' I thought this would have been about night active animals, and the time to go would be…….At night,(after dark) am I wrong about this?

I best try and find their web-site.

Thanks for the heads up OP.

Interesting, I've never been to the Night Safari, having been to a few attractions in Thailand, (not all) I've become a little jaded as far as just whether they are worth going.

I have to say the title; 'Night Safari' I thought this would have been about night active animals, and the time to go would be…….At night,(after dark) am I wrong about this?

I best try and find their web-site.

Thanks for the heads up OP.

Yes night-time or dusk... That is when the animals awake and are ready for feeding. Also the complete tour where you ride around in the trams doesn't start until the evening as far as I know.

elektrified.

re .. The sun conures are my favorite. You can go inside the cage and feed them. 10 or 15 of them will come and sit on your shoulders and arms while you hand feed them.

thanks to someone on here ( forgotten who ) i know what they are.

thanks for the info op .. ... dave2

ps ... ive never been for the same reasons as tonto21 : ( ... but will soon : )

post-42592-0-53115300-1315451363_thumb.j

We went about 1:00 in the afternoon. It looks as if they open at 11:00 in the morning unitl 10:00 at night.

They do have Day trams, at extra charge, and yes much of the activity is at night and I will be back to check out that too

But for 50 Baht it was well worth the cost and a pleasent way to spend a few hours

I would imagine he is referring to his Thai driver's license and not Thai ID which is available to Thai Nationals only.

C.M. Night Safari is a great cheap outing for those with kids. Sometimes they even waive the 50 Baht fee. We've been about 15 times over the years. We buy a big bag of carrots at the market and get there at dusk when the deer come out for feeding. The sun conures are my favorite. You can go inside the cage and feed them. 10 or 15 of them will come and sit on your shoulders and arms while you hand feed them. They are very gentle and playful birds. My kid loves going to the Night Safari.

Having said that, some of the animals there are in absolutely horrible condition.

This is what I have been told and read many of the negative reports.

Personally, I would like to see people boycott this place and put out of business those that make profits at the expense of the sufferings of these animals.

There is no way that I would contribute anything towards this so-called animal sanctuary travesty they call the night safari.

elektrified.

re .. The sun conures are my favorite. You can go inside the cage and feed them. 10 or 15 of them will come and sit on your shoulders and arms while you hand feed them.

thanks to someone on here ( forgotten who ) i know what they are.

thanks for the info op .. ... dave2

ps ... ive never been for the same reasons as tonto21 : ( ... but will soon : )

It was me! Didn't manage to find the guy at Chiang Mai gate....

David

Thai ID's can be acquired if you follow all the legal hurdles and processes, takes a long time though.

Thai ID's can be acquired if you follow all the legal hurdles and processes, takes a long time though.

Please explain. Are you talking about getting Thai citizenship?

MSPain

Please explain. Are you talking about getting Thai citizenship?

MSPain

They only wanted to see my Thai DL

Remember a tourist asking an old resident of CM if he had visited the Night Safari.

No why should I, I lived for two years in the Queen Elizabeth National Park in Kenya.

john

Sounds like classic BS from a long term "resident" of CM.

Queen Elizabeth NP is in Uganda, not Kenya. Right continent, wrong country...and people don't tend to live in them either.

All in all, nice try but BS all the same!

This is what I have been told and read many of the negative reports.

Personally, I would like to see people boycott this place and put out of business those that make profits at the expense of the sufferings of these animals.

There is no way that I would contribute anything towards this so-called animal sanctuary travesty they call the night safari.

I understand that until a couple of years ago the animals were not well looked after and some died. It seems that a new European CEO was appointed and animal husbandry improved. On my last visit a couple of weeks ago the animals seemed well cared for and the place was clean etc. A great improvement. These types of places are important for preservation of the species, although I am not sure what CMNS is doing in this regard although I understand it has a programe of sorts.