Buying A Motorbike In Phuket

rafferty

Honda Wave 125. They keep going and going! Should be around ฿55,000.

I have been riding Patong-Thalang-Patong on a Wave 125, and my a$$ was hurting. The seat is horrible for people in farang size. Have a good look at the PCX and have the seat modified to take out that ridiculous bump in the middle. PCX has a comfortable ride, for sure.

Honda Click and Scoopie is the same bike, except for plastic covers/lights. Single rear shock, low load index wheels and tiny front disc brake, makes it able to load max 130 kg. In same segment there is Suzuki Skydrive/Gelatio with more engine power and larger front brake. yammy can not compete in this segment due to dated manual choke engines, while the above have injection engines

next size segment comes with twin rear shocks, longer wheelbase providing longer seat and more legroom, better wheels and larger brakes. Honda PCX, Yammy Nouvo Elegance and Suzuki Hayate. 3 prices, and you get what you pay for. been a yammy fan for a decade in this segment, but my new PCX is just great. all 3 capable of 160Kg load

Honda Wave was IMHO opinion dated years ago, even with latest update on injection and cvt auto. My Gf has a 5 month old, and it was going back to the stoneage riding it last week in Korat

Phuket is monopoly on bike dealers, so prices very similar around, expect 3k baht more than other provinces/bkk. Honda Kamala often lower than other Phuket Honda dealers tho

How is you insurance.. Banks had some good accident insurance..

od post, but

compulsory insurance covers close to nothing, limited to 50k baht for rider and one passenger

in addition one should get a proper 3rd party insurance, covering liability to humans and property, and 200k baht bailbond in case being involved in mortal accident.

in addition theft insurance is available

hi

thanks for that.. you certainly know your bikes....

cheers

Honda Click and Scoopie is the same bike, except for plastic covers/lights. Single rear shock, low load index wheels and tiny front disc brake, makes it able to load max 130 kg. In same segment there is Suzuki Skydrive/Gelatio with more engine power and larger front brake. yammy can not compete in this segment due to dated manual choke engines, while the above have injection engines

next size segment comes with twin rear shocks, longer wheelbase providing longer seat and more legroom, better wheels and larger brakes. Honda PCX, Yammy Nouvo Elegance and Suzuki Hayate. 3 prices, and you get what you pay for. been a yammy fan for a decade in this segment, but my new PCX is just great. all 3 capable of 160Kg load

Honda Wave was IMHO opinion dated years ago, even with latest update on injection and cvt auto. My Gf has a 5 month old, and it was going back to the stoneage riding it last week in Korat

Phuket is monopoly on bike dealers, so prices very similar around, expect 3k baht more than other provinces/bkk. Honda Kamala often lower than other Phuket Honda dealers tho

No complaints with the Yamaha product,. :)

Invest in a decent bike lock. I use a locking device that goes right onto the brake disc, It won't stop a professional, but it will discourage the snot nosed teenagers that make a habit of pinching the bikes.

BTW, lock your helmet or put it away. My friends have lost their helmets that they left on their bikes. Then again if you invest in a decent helmet, i.e. European, Japanese or US safety standard, you won't leave it on the bike

for a supersized falang go the Honda Airblade or Yamaha Nouvo

Personally, I'd recommend the Honda Airblade.

I've had one for 4 years now and love it! Its v fast, has wonderful acceleration and, so far, no problems mechanically.

I hadn't thought about the supersized farang before, but as an average Western female can also confirm that its v comfortable.

Bought a Suzuki Skydrive 15 months ago. 14000km on it, only had 3 flat tires and a faulty battery which was replaced for free. Wonderful bike, 3.2liter on 120km. Good alternative if Honda/Yamaha doesnt suit you

I d say its the best small bike(small bike = flat floor, small wheels, single rear shock). Better brakes and performance than yammy/honda, and no issues. Just rented one in Hua Hin and it does drive better than the other small ones

LOL! You would really love my 14 year old Honda Smile S! It has 110cc 2 stroke with expansion chamber exhaust system that's stock. It will do 80 kph up a big hill in third gear. Stone age, yes but I really like a foot brake, large front disc brake and 2 stroke high RPM power!

Bought a Suzuki Skydrive 15 months ago. 14000km on it, only had 3 flat tires and a faulty battery which was replaced for free. Wonderful bike, 3.2liter on 120km. Good alternative if Honda/Yamaha doesnt suit you

I d say its the best small bike(small bike = flat floor, small wheels, single rear shock). Better brakes and performance than yammy/honda, and no issues. Just rented one in Hua Hin and it does drive better than the other small ones

I surely love it. The shocks are a bit weak (im nearing 100kg) and could be a bit better but other than that its a great ride. Even when GF joins the ride, it still is decent but then have to slow down for any kind of speedbump. Driving the bike for hours without @ss pain is possible. Most friends of mine are jealous of my seat, its extremely comfortable compared to what i have seen. Steering is excellent, grip as well inspite of the thin wheels Back home in Europe i was used to smaller but wider tires, at least 3 times this size. Still, i have no problems. I changed the vario rings from 13gram to 10 grams, allowing some more RPM and faster acceleration (top speed down to 100km/h max) and its driving like knife through butter. When it comes to acceleration, im always far far ahead of others. Had to get used to the low steer, when i sit on the bike, either i look dam_n big or the bike very small :P

Honda and other popular brands are easier to maintain as there's a Honda shop every corner, can swim in the spare parts. Not sure if this is the case for Suzuki as well.

Alloyed wheels full price... i forgot, either 50 or 60k baht.

edit// forgot to mention that this bike looks sexy as well. Scoopy, Fino, Click, Wave, none have such sexy rear as the skydrive. The front makes me remind of Buck Rogers. Im still wondering if i should change the 3 extra lights into something else, or these ' devil eyes' ....but then again, i aint a teenager anymore so i better leave it as it is :D

I surely love it. The shocks are a bit weak (im nearing 100kg) and could be a bit better but other than that its a great ride. Even when GF joins the ride, it still is decent but then have to slow down for any kind of speedbump. Driving the bike for hours without @ss pain is possible. Most friends of mine are jealous of my seat, its extremely comfortable compared to what i have seen. Steering is excellent, grip as well inspite of the thin wheels Back home in Europe i was used to smaller but wider tires, at least 3 times this size. Still, i have no problems. I changed the vario rings from 13gram to 10 grams, allowing some more RPM and faster acceleration (top speed down to 100km/h max) and its driving like knife through butter. When it comes to acceleration, im always far far ahead of others. Had to get used to the low steer, when i sit on the bike, either i look dam_n big or the bike very small :P

Honda and other popular brands are easier to maintain as there's a Honda shop every corner, can swim in the spare parts. Not sure if this is the case for Suzuki as well.

Alloyed wheels full price... i forgot, either 50 or 60k baht.

edit// forgot to mention that this bike looks sexy as well. Scoopy, Fino, Click, Wave, none have such sexy rear as the skydrive. The front makes me remind of Buck Rogers. Im still wondering if i should change the 3 extra lights into something else, or these ' devil eyes' ....but then again, i aint a teenager anymore so i better leave it as it is :D

I have loved all machines with motors all my life yet never found a car or motorcycle I wanted to have sex with. :unsure: I have seen sexy motorcycle mechanics though

post-49171-0-63728600-1315802548_thumb.j

I have had my Suzuki skydrive for just over 2 yrs now 30,000 kms and never one problem, a great bike, one thing is a must on these and other bikes is change the rear tire to a bigger size, I had many many flat tires so changed to a bigger size from 80/90/14 too 90/90/14 Camel tire, excellent.

I think the smaller tires are okay for the lighter thai's but not good for us bigger westerners.

Edited by kenny999

I have had my Suzuki skydrive for just over 2 yrs now 30,000 kms and never one problem, a great bike, one thing is a must on these and other bikes is change the rear tire to a bigger size, I had many many flat tires so changed to a bigger size from 80/90/14 too 90/90/14 Camel tire, excellent.

I think the smaller tires are okay for the lighter thai's but not good for us bigger westerners.

That's interesting. As I said earlier, I'm not big but its always the rear tyre that has a (slow) puncture :(.

I'll have a word with my repair man about changing the tyre to a bigger size. I'm not convinced it will result in less punctures, but will make me feel safer!

That's interesting. As I said earlier, I'm not big but its always the rear tyre that has a (slow) puncture :(.

I'll have a word with my repair man about changing the tyre to a bigger size. I'm not convinced it will result in less punctures, but will make me feel safer!

I can't say for you but my problem always seem to be that the inner tube was splitting, the small tire and small inner tube I think would rub and then split, hope this won't happen with the bigger tire, think on this, the front tire has been on my bike from new and I have never changed the inner tube, no weight on the front all the weight is on the back, so am sure the problem is these small tires not being able to handle our weight also I think the normal inner tubes are of crap quality!!

That story about the bigger tire back sounds interesting. Any pics how this looks like? You mean changing just the tire or the entire alloyed wheel?

Back home always had tubeless tires on my scooter, easy to fix any puncture by stuffing it with some rubber material. Inner tubes are instantly wasted when a puncture occurs. If bigger ( = thicker i suppose) tires do help a bit, it might be a good investment

90/90/14 Camel tire - where did u fixed that?? When i was at the dealer months ago where i bought my bike, i already asked whether they had different qualities but they said they just had 1 type (600 baht)

13k kilometer and front still orginal, only some cracks left and right, going to change it next month.

How come you don;t see many Skydrives on the roads while the performance is clearly better than the other brands?