Vietnam Embassy - Don'T Question The B2,300 Charge For A Tourist Visa

MaiDong

My first taste of Vietnam is NOT a very nice one, all I asked was 'why is the visa only B600/$20 online but B2,300/$75(!) here at the embassy? The creature behind the counter pointed to the perspex divider which stated something like 'Thai baht' and he said 'I don't know Dollar, Thai baht only', so I helped the creature with the complex arithmetic, explaining that $20 was in fact only B600, not B2,300 and that's when my passport was thrown back at me with a 'cancelled' remark :blink:

So including the stamping fee I'd be paying $100 to enter Vietnam if I went along with their little earner.

I just got back from riding my bicycle the 20km round trip to the Vietnamese embassy and checked online again. To be sure I get the visa in time I've requested same-day processing of the approval letter and all-in, including the stamping fee at the airport($25), I'll be paying $54.99, almost half price what the embassy wanted.

I'm speechless, nearly :huh:

So, I went back to my original plan of getting a visa through a visa company, I will hopefully receive my approval letter 5pm today, I'll have to queue at immigration when I arrive in Saigon(HCMC), as opposed to going through a quicker channel but to be honest, I don't care, I haven't lined a snakes pocket.

The creature assumed I wanted it today so attempted to charge me B2,300($75), I spoke to a bloke outside who said that apparently they asked someone else for B1,800($60) for a visa if collected on Friday so by doing it the way I've done now I've saved $5 and I WOULD have saved the time, energy & unpleasant experience of going to the embassy if I'd used the agent in the first place who, incidentally, is offering me same-day service for $45 less than the embassy same-day service - makes me wonder why there is a visa service at the embassy at all! - and if it's fair that people who don't/can't use the internet have to pay that extra cost, it's total <deleted> if you ask me.

Edited by MaiDong

Just to add some more detail;

If I wanted 2 day processing of the visa with the visa company it would have cost me B600, still quicker & still 1/3 of the price of the embassy, begs the question 'why use the embassy??'

Edited by Mario2008
name and link to comemrcial site removed

"and that's when my passport was thrown back at me with a 'cancelled' remark :blink:"

It must be part of their newly launched program to attract people to their country :lol: ....i am sorry you were one of the firsts to find out

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2011/09/19/vietnam-to-launch-a-series-of-campaigns-to-promote-inbound-tourism/

http://travelhappy.info/travel-tips/how-to-get-a-vietnam-visa-in-bangkok/

Once inside, fill in one of the application forms and then submit it at the window along with the appropriate fee. It's around 1000 Baht ($30 US) for a one entry visa.

No, it's not, have you read what I've said? it's B1,800, B2,300 or B2,700 depending on how much of a mug you look :ermm:

EDIT; and I must have looked like half-a-mug considering they asked for B2,300, the bloke before me was asked for B2,700 and he just handed it over sheepishly, as if it was his mummy asking him to give back the money he'd pinched from her purse :(

Edited by MaiDong

Read the link and you'll see that is the fee for a normally processed visa of 4~5 days, you were getting an express service visa of 1 day.

Your nationality also determines what the fee is. Americans pay more I believe?

I'm British.

And I also explained, above, that the fee for the 4 day service is still 2 3rds more expensive than the fee I could have paid online if I'd had more time to wait.

Read the link and you'll see that is the fee for a normally processed visa of 4~5 days, you were getting an express service visa of 1 day.

I'm British.

And I also explained, above, that the fee for the 4 day service is still 2 3rds more expensive than the fee I could have paid online if I'd had more time to wait.

Fee at embassy $30, nothing else to pay on arrival.

Fee online $20 plus $25 to pay on arrival (from your link).

and YOU were explaining complex arithmetic to the 'creature' at the Embassy.

I'd suggest it was maybe your attitude that got you no visa.

I'm British.

Fee at embassy $30, nothing else to pay on arrival.

Fee online $20 plus $25 to pay on arrival (from your link).

and YOU were explaining complex arithmetic to the 'creature' at the Embassy.

I'd suggest it was maybe your attitude that got you no visa.

Yes, of course, I imagined the creature asking for more than double the actual cost, I then imagined myself questioning how much he wanted to take, and then, to top it all off, I imagined him throwing my passport back at me and 'informing' me that my application was cancelled.

Thanks for putting me straight, nice chap aren't you. <_<

p.s. just got back last night from a 5 day trip in Vietnam, my attitude obviously didn't stop me from having a perfectly nice time in the country :whistling:

I'd suggest that you, PattayaParent, unplug your head from your bottom, and go and apply for a tourist visa at the Vietnamese embassy on wireless road, let's have a test of your attitude ;)

Edited by MaiDong

Well I'm glad you had a nice time in Vietnam,but I have to agree with "Pattayaparent" that it was probably your attitude at the Vietnamese Embassy that resulted in the incident.Cetainly from your postings here it appears you can be gratuitously offensive when speaking to people who make a perfectly reasonable post.I've never had a problem with the Vietnamese Embassy in Wireless Road when I've used them,nor do I know anyone else who has.

You weren't charged "more than double the actual cost' for the visa, you were charged the correct cost for the express visa.

I qualify for visa exemption to Viet Nam but in the 3 times per year for 6 years that I visited prior to that I never had a problem with getting a visa.

But then I never displayed my superior mathematical skills to the embassy staff. :D

Edited by PattayaParent

I am in Vietnam at the moment and I use the following link.

Online visa

I applied before 8am and got my authorisation letter the same day at around 2 pm. I applied for a multi entry 3 month business visa and the cost was 105 USD. I had previously paid double that for a visa from the embassy, so you do have a point. Print out the 3 pages attached to the return mail and show them at check in and away you go. When you arrive at the other end you also have to fill in another form, but this can be downloaded from the web site, so fill it in before you leave. You must also attach a photo to the form.

Be aware that people are queuing at the pick up desk so don't get in that queue. Go to the visa application desk first give them your form and go to the 'pick up' desk to collect your visa. It is not very well organised or sign posted. The whole thing takes about 20 min's depending of course on the number of applicants.

Cheers, Rick

Well I'm glad you had a nice time in Vietnam,but I have to agree with "Pattayaparent" that it was probably your attitude at the Vietnamese Embassy that resulted in the incident.Cetainly from your postings here it appears you can be gratuitously offensive when speaking to people who make a perfectly reasonable post.I've never had a problem with the Vietnamese Embassy in Wireless Road when I've used them,nor do I know anyone else who has.

I to have never had a problem at the Vietnam embassy. And seeing how the OP already knows the pricing structure and how you can do it on the cheap, theres not much point bemoaning it. The rules and fees are the same for everyone so i cant see how your degrees of mugness had anything to do with it.

Anyways, i would think there'd be very few embassies worldwide that would grant you a visa after loosing your cool. And if it had been a Thai embassy they might have even arranged for some motorcy guys to beat you up when you left the building!!

I to have never had a problem at the Vietnam embassy. And seeing how the OP already knows the pricing structure and how you can do it on the cheap, theres not much point bemoaning it. The rules and fees are the same for everyone so i cant see how your degrees of mugness had anything to do with it.

Anyways, i would think there'd be very few embassies worldwide that would grant you a visa after loosing your cool. And if it had been a Thai embassy they might have even arranged for some motorcy guys to beat you up when you left the building!!

I have also never previously had a problem at the Vietnam embassy of at any other embassy for that matter. (Saudi Arabia excluded). Being polite goes a long way.

I think I would be pist off if someone referred to me as a creature also

You all seem to be misreading my original points; I applied for a 1 month tourist visa, I was asked for B2,300, I asked why it was more than double the price it should be and the 'creature' behind the counter got arsey, not me, I am a polite person(despite the head-in-bottom remark^), anyhow, I asked how much it would be(politely) if I was to collect it on the same day and 'B2,700' was the reply - so it would seem B2,300 was for collection on Thursday/Friday.

Now, I don't know how any of you can remark on my attitude as only 1 person who has replied to this thread has ever met me(he's a nice guy, and he likes me!), nor how it was my attitude that got me asked for more baht than should have been requested(am I still in the wrong??)

Without a thought, you have all assumed that the 'creature' - and he was just that but I didn't actually call him that kurnell! :D - was having as good a day as he was when you all applied which is questionable.

I would like a rational explanation as to why, without any reason whatsoever, I would either 1. Lie about how much I was asked for. 2. have a bad attitude for questioning the price I was being asked for or 3. be refused a visa for questioning the price I was being asked for?

I'll point out the facts again;

1. walked in the embassy not with a frown, nor a demanding nature, nor any visible attitude.

2. applied for a visa and was asked for B2,300.

3. asked how much collection same day was - B2,700

4. asked(politely) why it was substantially more than through an agent online based in Hanoi.

5. passport was thrown back at me with 'cancelled' remark.

What on earth did I do wrong? Question the inflated cost?

Anyways, i would think there'd be very few embassies worldwide that would grant you a visa after loosing your cool

I didn't lose my cool - where did you get that from?

Are you referring to the head-in-bottom comment? 'gratuitously offensive' I think that's a bit over the top isn't it, blimey :ermm:

I am in Vietnam at the moment and I use the following link.

Online visa

I applied before 8am and got my authorisation letter the same day at around 2 pm. I applied for a multi entry 3 month business visa and the cost was 105 USD. I had previously paid double that for a visa from the embassy, so you do have a point. Print out the 3 pages attached to the return mail and show them at check in and away you go. When you arrive at the other end you also have to fill in another form, but this can be downloaded from the web site, so fill it in before you leave. You must also attach a photo to the form.

Be aware that people are queuing at the pick up desk so don't get in that queue. Go to the visa application desk first give them your form and go to the 'pick up' desk to collect your visa. It is not very well organised or sign posted. The whole thing takes about 20 min's depending of course on the number of applicants.

Cheers, Rick

Exactly right Rick, you're speaking sense, I like you!

I done as you say; printed the 3 pages of my(& others) visa No's. printed & filled out the visa app form and stapled 1 passport photo to it, there is advice to fill out 2 other arrival forms but it was announced on the flight(air asia) that these are no longer required.

When I landed I was one of the first in the application desk queue and only waited a few minutes for my passport back so be quick if you don't want to get stuck behind a huddle of confused people!

So all-in-all, it seems that almost every one of us has had a different experience with either the embassy or procedure during arrival, this doesn't mean to say that I have a bad attitude, that comment has pissed me off a little bit, it's completely assuming, without even knowing what kind of person I really am, it's also assuming what face I was pulling, and also how I spoke to the embassy staff, which is ridiculous really, I was perfectly polite(AS USUAL) from beginning to end, even smiling when being refused by the 'creature'...

You all seem to be misreading my original points; I applied for a 1 month tourist visa, I was asked for B2,300, I asked why it was more than double the price it should be and the 'creature' behind the counter got arsey, not me, I am a polite person(despite the head-in-bottom remark^), anyhow, I asked how much it would be(politely) if I was to collect it on the same day and 'B2,700' was the reply - so it would seem B2,300 was for collection on Thursday/Friday.

Now, I don't know how any of you can remark on my attitude as only 1 person who has replied to this thread has ever met me(he's a nice guy, and he likes me!), nor how it was my attitude that got me asked for more baht than should have been requested(am I still in the wrong??)

Without a thought, you have all assumed that the 'creature' - and he was just that but I didn't actually call him that kurnell! :D - was having as good a day as he was when you all applied which is questionable.

I would like a rational explanation as to why, without any reason whatsoever, I would either 1. Lie about how much I was asked for. 2. have a bad attitude for questioning the price I was being asked for or 3. be refused a visa for questioning the price I was being asked for?

1. walked in the embassy not with a frown, nor a demanding nature, nor any visible attitude.

4. asked(politely) why it was substantially more than through an agent online based in Hanoi.

You did nothing wrong-period.

Others are deliberately trying to wind you up with "their" superior knowledge. Just let it go over your head.

Off the record if it had been me applying I would probably have dropped off the passport at nearest "service" available and told them no hurry. Sometimes its just not worth worrying about the extra 20 30 50 pound whatever.

You did nothing wrong-period.

Others are deliberately trying to wind you up with "their" superior knowledge. Just let it go over your head.

Off the record if it had been me applying I would probably have dropped off the passport at nearest "service" available and told them no hurry. Sometimes its just not worth worrying about the extra 20 30 50 pound whatever.

Cheers Chivas, sometimes we all need someone nice to come along to convince us we're not in a world full of Silly Bananas.

But anyhow, the reason I went to the embassy was because I'd read on here that there could be long queues at the application office in SGN airport, as it turned out there wasn't, mostly because I walked fast from the plane but also because it seemed most other passengers already had visas, and as a consequence, I paid less than at the embassy :)

Mai I will make you feel a whole lot better because these are the figures that my travel agent quoted me for a tourist visa.

Cost for 1 day = 5,500.00

Cost for 2 days = 5,000.00

Cost for 3 days = 4,500.00

I went for the 2 day as I had to be there pronto. Ferking extortion compared to the online booking. I was charged a 100 quid compared to a 100 dollars on line. In my case I did not have the option. Take no notice of the wind up merchants as i am sure that no one likes to be ripped off whether they admit that or not.

Are you referring to the head-in-bottom comment? 'gratuitously offensive' I think that's a bit over the top isn't it, blimey :ermm:

Well,blimey,old chap,as it happens I don't think it is over the top-no.Your comment was "without cause" and/or "unjustified",which is the definition of "gratuitous". In addition I think most people would agree it was offensive per se .

Although I have never met "Pattaya Parent" (to my knowledge),he clearly knows far more about Vietnam in general,(and specifically about visas for that country) than you do.So do I.The use of the word "creature" when speaking about another person says far more about you than anything else you have contributed to this thread.The use of such an epithet is gratuitously offensive in any case.I'm certainly not trying to wind you up,merely pointing out to you that if you wish to come to Vietnam again,either to travel or stay here,then I suggest you adopt a different approach, because it won't get you very far here. In my experience,the Vietnamese do not suffer fools gladly,and I can quite understand why,given the history of their country.To forestall any silly bleating about any experience I might or might not have,I currently live in Vietnam,I've traveled here many times over the last 5 years,and have had extensive dealings with the Embassy in Bangkok.So I know more about it than somebody who has had a 5 day holiday here. Have a nice day

Well,blimey,old chap,as it happens I don't think it is over the top-no.Your comment was "without cause" and/or "unjustified",which is the definition of "gratuitous". In addition I think most people would agree it was offensive per se .

Although I have never met "Pattaya Parent" (to my knowledge),he clearly knows far more about Vietnam in general,(and specifically about visas for that country) than you do.So do I.The use of the word "creature" when speaking about another person says far more about you than anything else you have contributed to this thread.The use of such an epithet is gratuitously offensive in any case.I'm certainly not trying to wind you up,merely pointing out to you that if you wish to come to Vietnam again,either to travel or stay here,then I suggest you adopt a different approach, because it won't get you very far here. In my experience,the Vietnamese do not suffer fools gladly,and I can quite understand why,given the history of their country.To forestall any silly bleating about any experience I might or might not have,I currently live in Vietnam,I've traveled here many times over the last 5 years,and have had extensive dealings with the Embassy in Bangkok.So I know more about it than somebody who has had a 5 day holiday here. Have a nice day

Rant over?

The fact still remains, that the bloke behind the counter was rude to me, in an unacceptable way, without provocation.

I couldn't care less about your knowledge of people in Vietnam, or embassies, or your sensitivities regarding my comments, you're hurt, I'm not.

I was simply explaining, without any attitude, my experiences of the Vietnamese embassy in Bangkok.

Although I have never met "Pattaya Parent" (to my knowledge),he clearly knows far more about Vietnam in general,(and specifically about visas for that country) than you do.So do I.

This bit really made me laugh^ Where in this thread have I said I know anything about Vietnam?? you're talking rubbish :lol: What I have done is explained my experience, what is wrong with you people, you've either got nothing to do or are jaded and bitter of new or different experiences to your own.

I promise, with all of my heart, to never visit this thread ever again, it has been, without doubt, completely taken over by people with no imagination, a thorough lack of reading ability, and a holier-than-thou attitude.

I'm having a good day, otherwise :rolleyes:

:lol: ah ahh, these people! whatever you say or you do, if you are an "alien" then you must to be wrong, what the heck! you really haven't got anything else better to do? always playing the same game with anybody that is just pointing out at something wrong.

I don't know if they do it because they really believe in what they say, or they are just winding other people up because they think it is fun, mmmm, in both cases it is wrong to do that.

Some of us seems to have problems with questioning a quoted price, there is nothing wrong with it, it's just a question as any other question, you might suffer from some strange sort of mental condition methink, a bit like that guy in Pattaya that told me, whatever i say to a Baht-Bus driver (hi,hello, is that a revolver in your hand pointing at me for the cash, or are you just happy to see me? :D ), that automatically entitle him to charge me whatever rate he likes...and without telling that rate to anyone, c'mon guys, just because you are living in a evil version of DisneyLand, that doesn't mean that you have to adopt their way of life!!!...when in Rome, you are still holding the same the same nationality as before, so, act accordingly to that.

Remember where you are, here making questions should be compulsory, in everyones best interest, if the question is not welcome that might just be a sign that there is something wrong with it, beware of that.

I am happy to see that many people are satisfied with the service provided by the quoted embassy, but still, that doesn't mean that this very embassy have not created the situation quoted in this thread, open up your eyes people! and stop supporting bad attitudes/acts, the world is already being messed up enough, we must try to improve things, not to make them worse.

Amen.

:lol:

The family is headed for a holiday to Viet Nam in 2 weeks. I went to the Viet Nam Embassy for a visa last Wednesday morning. I was told that a 30 day visa received on the same day as the application is B2,800. A next day visa is B2,300, and a 4 day visa is B1,800. I was struck because I could have gotten a Viet Nam visa when I was in Phnom Penh last month for $35 (about B1060), with next day service. The B1,800 price would have been acceptable but I did not want to return to BKK on Monday, so I left without applying for a visa. I had read on the Loney Planet forum of the services that provide a "Letter of Entry" which allows you to get your visa on arrival at an airport in Viet Nam. www.hotels-in-vietnam.com was recommended. I checked their website and they offer the letter delivery service by e-mail for $15. There is a $25 stamping fee paid to immigration on arrival. I went on their site, filled out the application and gave them my credit card number. I got a reply asking for approval to debit my credit card for the application fee, to which I agreed. On Tuesday, I received my letter by e-mail. They were excellent, and all done on the computer from my living room. This is by far the easiest and cheapest way to get a visa for Viet Nam. I highly recommend http://www.hotels-in-vietnam.com. It could not be easier or less hastle. I have no commercial or financial connection with this company. But they are very good, and people should know that good alternatives exist to being ripped off at the Bangkok VN Embassy.

I hope to see the day when we will be able to legally "bypass" every single "human" officer, especially those that have anything to do with immigration, and be served by an automatic machine instead, but i am already worried about any possible error message that might appear on the screens here......"Please insert another 1.000 Bahts note, as i want to upgrade to a better touchscreen next month, kob khun kha" :lol: