Thailand Ranked No. 30

geriatrickid

I'm surprised this didn't make it to the news section as the report has been circulating for 2 days. Thailand didn't do as well as it should have and the following comments explain why the concept of Reputation is important;

Perhaps the most important finding in 2011 Country RepTrak™ is that reputation means money. Reputation Institute found a very strong correlation between a country's reputation and people's willingness to visit there, buy its exported products and services, invest there, study there or even live and work there. "Our approach provides a strategic tool that enables countries to make informed decisions about how to spend their brand and reputation building budgets," says Kasper Nielsen, Executive Partner of Reputation Institute. "When you consider that a 10% increase in your country's reputation leads to an 11% rise in your tourism receipts, and a 2% increase in your FDI - this is something both countries and companies might want to take note of."

Although Canada was ranked No. 1, the top 4 countries were all within whiskers of each other and it should come as no surprise who made the top 10. Here's a teaser;

1. Canada 74.8 2 Sweden 74.7 3 Australia 74.3. 4 Switzerland 74.2

Interesting enough the top 10 countries also do well on the Transparency, Corruption and Quality of life ratings published elsewhere. One can quibble on where the top 10 rank a country belongs, but it in terms of peer groups, being slightly behind Denmark or Sweden etc. is nothing to be embarrased about. However, the Thai peer group is hardly something to be proud of.

The full report is available from the institute. For those that just want the good bits, check out the news release from which I copied. The US and EU news feeds were not as detailed. http://www.cnw.ca/en...1/27/c6961.html

Reputation Institute's 2011 Country RepTrak™, an annual study measuring the public perceptions of 50 countries around the world. The study measures the overall Trust, Esteem, Admiration and Good Feelings the public holds towards these countries, as well as their perceptions across 16 different attributes, including a good quality of life, a safe place to live and a strong attention to their environment

edited for embarrassing spelling error. Scuzi.

Edited by geriatrickid

Nice to know that we come well behind Greece... but just ahead of Chile! On the whole, one of the sillier 'rankings'.

The USA is also below Greece. Hard to take a survey seriously when countries on the verge of bankruptcy are ranked ahead of the richest country on the planet. By the way, Thailand is ranked ahead of China, South Korea, Israel....so you can make all sorts of cases with this survey. Just like many others like it. When can we expect the Thai-hating brigade to weigh in with their usual Thailand bashing?

Well, I assume the survey was conducted BEFORE the full scale of the Greek debt crisis was know... Then the question is what is the average sample of error in the survey... must be big, otherwise Switzerland would of course be on top position... :whistling:

And finally, as with all statistics: I don't believe in any statistics that i didn't fake myself :jap:

Well, I assume the survey was conducted BEFORE the full scale of the Greek debt crisis was know... Then the question is what is the average sample of error in the survey... must be big, otherwise Switzerland would of course be on top position... :whistling:

And finally, as with all statistics: I don't believe in any statistics that i didn't fake myself :jap:

I agree with that last statement. I also think at least 90%,no make that 95% of statistics are made up, (a little like this one) to enhancea point trying to be made.