Officials Admit Fear Of Reprisal Rules Phuket Bus Plans

Lite Beer

Officials admit fear of reprisal rules Phuket bus plans

phuket-1-11090VQPfcJENmQoKJYGxrAHOAZJxqf.jpg

Phuket Land Transport Office (PLTO) chief Teerayout Prasertphol asks the big question: Who will stand up to the taxi and tuk-tuk drivers?

phuket-4-11090BIansAXxWAYtvASBROELvYBJtL.jpg

A grave Phuket Vice Governor Weerawat Janpen listens to Puket's top officials describe the dire situation that public transportation on the island is facing.

PHUKET: Top Phuket officials have openly admitted that fear of reprisals by taxi and tuk-tuk drivers is preventing people from launching affordable bus services between Phuket’s main tourist beaches

Phuket Vice Governor Weerawat Janpen yesterday chaired a meeting at the Phuket Land Transport Office (PLTO) to discuss strategies to resolve the decades old problem of tourists being cheated by “transportation operators” in Phuket.

Wanta Phummararossukon, who holds the position of “Special Scholar” at the PLTO, explained that his office is currently open to receive applications to run concessions on three bus routes as follows:

1. Phuket Airport to Phuket Bus Terminal (on Phang Nga Rd in Phuket Town)

2. Phuket Airport to Kamala / Patong / Kata / Karon

3. Phuket Airport to destinations within Patong

Two other routes are currently under consideration:

4. Phuket Airport to Patong – Kata – Karon

5. Phuket Airport to Rawai Beach

“Route 1 is already in service, but routes 2 and 3 cannot be because whenever someone tries, the taxi and tuk-tuk [people] 'do something against us’.

“No concession companies dare face them,” Mr Wanta said.

“Another issue is illegal taxis. We are planning resolve the black-plate taxi problem by having them brought into the system and registered, perhaps enticed by being included in a single-number call center for all taxis.

“We will have each authority be strict in their duty and arrest those not abiding by the law,” Mr Wanta added.

Patong Deputy Mayor Chairat Sukkaban said he had heard that some companies were interested and ready to run bus services on routes 2 and 3, but they were afraid of “the influence”.

To counter the fear, he called on unity among relevant authorities to make sure operators were protected.

“The Land Transport Office, Phuket police and local administration organizations must act together. They must be strict in asserting their authority; they must enforce the law as they are empowered and obligated to do; and they must make sure there is nothing hidden in the law enforcement,” Mr Chairat said.

“To have the routes in service, it is our responsibility to ensure the concession companies do not have to face 'the influence’ all alone,” he added.

Phuket Land Transport Office (PLTO) chief Teerayout Prasertphol agreed in part, but asked the big question: who was going to stand up to those who currently rule Phuket’s public transportation system.

“The most important thing is who is going to take care of this problem? I suggest local authorities as an option,” Mr Teerayout said.

To this, Phuket Tourist Association Vice President Sarayuth Mallam said, “The Land Transportation Office does not need to ‘transfer’ this responsibility to anyone else – this is your responsibility.

“Taxi and tuk-tuk drivers fear no one, except for you – because you issue the license plates that allow their cars on the road. Sorting this problem out is your responsibility.”

Mr Sarayuth added that one of the major obstacles was that some persons in positions of authority had relations – literally – with the people involved.

“Some of them are their relatives or friends,” he said.

“Another problem is that metered taxis can’t even drive around the island because of taxi and tuk-tuk drivers. I would like to ask the authorities to have public transportation able to drive anywhere on the island,” he said.

“By the way, it does not matter what great plans we have when the authorities do not fulfill their duties. Illegal taxis must be brought into the system. You can probably give them a period of time – like 30 days – to register. After that, get strict on them,” he said.

Vice Governor Weerawat added, “This is all about law enforcement. All of this can be done by the authorities…

“What about we work on these problems and have the next meeting in another two weeks to see what progress has been made?”

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/archives/articles/2011/article11090.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2011-09-29

I shudder to think of the repercussions of this, i suspect violence will be enacted on anyone who tries to run busses on routes 2 and 3 .If they put a German in hospital over 100 baht what will they do to some messing with their livelihood . All those taxi drivers who take up prime parking in patong all day with a taxi signs on their car, while they smoke and talk all day not actually get any fares,.....imagine taking that away from them.

Last night at the end of Bangla i saw 2 drunk farangs negotiating with a tuk tuk driver. I heard them say, " 200 baht ?...oh no way mate !! , 100 !" , the happy smiling friendly thai face disappeared and was replaced in an instant with sheer rage.

It is pretty simple...nothing good will happen to the horrible transportation situation in Phuket unless martial law happens and the military comes to keep the peace and enforce the law. I think this would be a good move. Laws are on the books, the amount of licensed tuk-tuks is 4 times the allowed amount. Fare rates are regulated by law, but none are enforced.

Phuket must enforce the laws, Lack of enforcement, corruption and greed rule. Bring in the military and get this frightful situation under control once and for all. NO MORE TALK...

It is pretty simple...nothing good will happen to the horrible transportation situation in Phuket unless martial law happens and the military comes to keep the peace and enforce the law. I think this would be a good move. Laws are on the books, the amount of licensed tuk-tuks is 4 times the allowed amount. Fare rates are regulated by law, but none are enforced.

Phuket must enforce the laws, Lack of enforcement, corruption and greed rule. Bring in the military and get this frightful situation under control once and for all. NO MORE TALK...

What exactly would the military do? Running tank & tuk tuk shootouts on the streets of Patong??

Regulations need to be in place, and enforced, before anything positive gets done. I ain't holding my breath... again...

Just shows you that the politicians in Phuket have no balls. They have a police force to enforce the law are they afraid of them too? OR are the police being paid by the mafia?

This is not about anyones 'balls'. It's about the BIB being the spearhead of a comprehensive effort. The Tuk-tuks outnumber the cops about 10 to 1, and all drive vehicles, where as the cops are forced to double up on motorbikes. It is a very big problem and there is finally a concerted movement to stop it. Pull your head out.

Just shows you that the politicians in Phuket have no balls. They have a police force to enforce the law are they afraid of them too? OR are the police being paid by the mafia?

This is not about anyones 'balls'. It's about the BIB being the spearhead of a comprehensive effort. The Tuk-tuks outnumber the cops about 10 to 1, and all drive vehicles, where as the cops are forced to double up on motorbikes. It is a very big problem and there is finally a concerted movement to stop it. Pull your head out.

You are totally clueless and by your post you show you have no understanding of the issues whatsoever.

Maybe it's you that should be "pulling your head out".

I would think,any bus can take on at least a dozen of tuk tuks without feeling a bump.

Sounds a bit like Pattaya,where they also have busstops every 500 meters,only the buses have gone missing after operating for only a few months.

I always thought that the buses in Pattaya would be a hard business because of the frequency of baht buses and the wide availability of motorcycle taxis. Additionally, the bus was more expensive than the baht bus, I think it was 20 or 30 baht per ride. Sure the bus was air conditioned, but with baht buses zipping by every minute or so, it made it very difficult for the bus to garner passengers. The few times that I saw a bus, there were very few people riding.

In Pattaya [the rectangle with borders Beach Road, Third Road, South Pattaya Road, North Pattaya Road], I can understand why a public bus system would not work.

who the heck writes these horrible headlines? "Officials admit fear of reprisal rules Phuket bus plans". what the heck are you saying?

Clearly he's saying that the government officials will be killed by the mafia that runs the entire island if they proceed.

It's pretty simple math. Local politicians ( which may or may not be "people of influence") + BIBS+ tuk tuk associations =control of what happens. Appointed officials have no say and only pay lip service until their two years are up and they are transferred to an easier post.

The only way the new routes will work is if there are trained and armed guards to ensure the drivers and passengers safety. Until then, no one will take on these routes, even if there are concessions.

who the heck writes these horrible headlines? "Officials admit fear of reprisal rules Phuket bus plans". what the heck are you saying?

Clearly he's saying that the government officials will be killed by the mafia that runs the entire island if they proceed.

or tortured ......... hope they dont watch what they do to people in mexico, might give them ideas

So top goverment officals are admitting that they do not controll the island of Phuket and that the Mafia does. So they do what every politican does and that is to form a comittee to study the problem. So the first solution is to make all illegal taxis legal. That makes a lot of sense. So for all the legal taxis that are already there you are going to flood the market place with even more. I not saying that there are really any legitmate taxis but it sound like amnesty for all the law breakers. Nothing is every going to get done as long as they keep this problem only being reported in the english language newspaper. Untill it gets brought out in the Thai language news ( like they did for the jetski scammers of Pattya) it will only be a local problem. Untill then the BIB are either powerless to do anything because of higher influences or are part of the problem. But have them lose face to the general Thai population then maybe something will get done