Sunrise Tacos Coming To Jomtien!

Jingthing

I once asked a waitress why they charge 50 Bt for the cola, when I can buy it for much less in the store.

Because "you drink it inside a big building" she replied.

35bt for a dollop of guacamole seems fair if the abscission go for 40bt.

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I once asked a waitress why they charge 50 Bt for the cola, when I can buy it for much less in the store.

Made me google!

Well, I went back. I am happy to report that the corn tortillas were fine this time--quite nice actually, so it appears they have resolved that issue. One reason might be that they included only a single tortilla this time; the doubled tortilla last time might have emphasized the grittiness. I ate a couple small pieces of tortilla separately this time, however, and noticed no grittiness at all.

I asked if Gil were there to report the good news, but alas, I guess I was there too early.

Some more positive notes. First, the carnitas taco I had did not have mango this time but did have what appeared to be a small amount of quacamole. Much better choice. Second, the chunks of pineapple in the al pastor taco were much smaller which was kind of good (though it did make it harder to pick them out as there were still too many). Third, their hottest salsa is quite nice. Fourth, one waitress noticed that my napkin was very dirty (from using my hands and lots of salsa to eat) and replaced it without being asked.

There were some negatives, but I won't include those here as the major issue I had before seems to have been resolved.

Thank you for the note. I promised to be here for Taco Tuesday, alas I stopped to buy a pie display case. $ ouch. I got here at 630pm. We are resolving issues as they come up, and addressing each sincere comment earnestly. Record numbers last night, but we blew it with a customer. All of his food came too quickly, albeit he had no time to enjoy his nachos. So today, we spent about 60 minutes re-training the kitchen staff on how to better pace food. When I explained to them that they can knock out the appetizers first, then they will have more time to come back round for the mains, they light up like a dam_n Christmas tree. It seemed to take some pressure off of them.

Best,

Gil

Abscission?

I wanted to say avocados.

Please note: As the OP of this thread, I have requested to the mods to correct the title of this thread to reflect the actual name of the place we are talking about here. It is Sunrise Tacos, not Sunrise Taqueria. Not sure if it will be changed but at least I made the effort.

Back to the recurring theme of SPICING comments on some of the food items at Sunrise Tacos, I'd like to comment on the ENCHILADA SAUCE. Apparently as per the menu this "ranchero" sauce is used both on the Ranchiladas enchiladas and as an optional topping for custom burritos (also on the veggie burrito and the classic chicken burrito as an option).

My hopefully constructive comment about this sauce:

portion -- more than ample

texture -- very chunky! not unpleasant but I think not authentic

flavor -- not unpleasant, bland, like hot hearty stewed tomatoes, but that's all I tasted -- tomatoes, so I think it might be fair to say this sauce wasn't really SEASONED

spice -- none tasted

For me, it tasted more like a bland Italian sauce than a Mexican sauce. I sincerely think it needs the MEXICAN spices in it in more quantity to make it taste like a real Mexican enchilada sauce. Of course that does mean some chili because remember chili is not only heat it is also flavor and also of course spice.

I would say don't be afraid please to make the food taste more Mexican!

I really, really think most customers would appreciate a more Mexican tasting enchilada sauce.

Just to be totally clear, no I am not talking about a super hot and spicy enchilada sauce, I am talking about an enchilada sauce that tastes like a Mexican sauce.

Here is a recipe which gives clues as to what I mean:

http://www.lynnskitc...lada-sauce.html

Edited by Jingthing

Oh, BTW, has anything tried the CHIMACHANGAS (fried burrito)? I don't want to be the guinea pig on that one. It seems to me that could easily be messed up. I would suggest if you do, to get the ranchero sauce with it (even the bland stuff) as chimichanga without sauce is weird. (Frying the thing to make it a chimachanga is an option for custom burritos.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimichanga

Edited by Jingthing

Oh, BTW, has anything tried the CHIMACHANGAS (fried burrito)? I don't want to be the guinea pig on that one. It seems to me that could easily be messed up. I would suggest if you do, to get the ranchero sauce with it (even the bland stuff) as chimichanga without sauce is weird. (Frying the thing to make it a chimachanga is an option for custom burritos.)

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Chimichanga

Oh for heavens sake. Just go eat the damned thing and be done with it.

29 pages and I think you have done this subject to death. You want to make suggestions then GO TO THE RESTAURANT AND TALK TO THE MANAGERS.

29 pages is enough.

//CLOSED//