Wheres The Nearest Snow?

pacman32

hi guys

im due over there in a few weeks and my girlfriend has expressed a wish to build a snowman :) she has never experienced snow and i would love to take her somewhere so she can see this.

where is the nearest/best place to thailand which we can go to see snow between october and february?

somewhere with a bit more to see for me would be nice as after the last couple of winters here im quite sick of the site of snow lol...............im guessing that after a few days in the snow she will be too ;) but i would just love to see her face when she 1st sees it.............any help would be greatly appreciated ..

thx in advance :)

Dream World in Rangsit.

Entrance fee to Snow Town is not included in the admission price. I think it is 130 baht extra. Not sure if they'll let you build a snowman there or not. The ice that they call snow isn't really suitable for it anyway. But at least the temperature is pleasant. What I wouldn't give for a nice subfreezing winter...

Lived in Japan for several years and highly recommend Sapporo snow festival, however as Richard 4849 pointed out visa could be a problem.

S. Korea on the other hand does not require a Thai passport holder to have a visa and believe they will will get a 90 day stamp on arrival.

Also as previously mentioned plenty of resorts to choose from.

Edited by terryq

cheers for the advice guys................i had been looking at Korea as she first got the idea after watching "hello stranger" with me lol.................but Japan also sounds nice. i'll have to look into the visa options but before that getting her to apply for a passport would be nice ;)

i think the decision will be based on which place air asia flies to cheapest ..........maybe a visit to Rangsit i see they have a big snowman she can have her pic took with will save me the trouble, and after that i can go n chill out in Pai :)

Edited by pacman32

just been lookin at flights...it seems air asia dont fly to Korea so whats the best way to get there? and also the Harbin ice festival in China fits in with my time, what airport is best to fly too to get there........will she be ok to travel to any of these without visa restrictions?

Dont know where the nearest snow is but me and the wife went to Switzerland this year and up to the plain du Morte ( dead Plain) she had a whale of a time and made her own snowman, sat in the snow rolled in the snow ate the snow threw snowballs and slid down on her backside in it!!! hahaha like a 5 yr old but good fun.

post-113733-0-75021600-1318209853_thumb.

just been lookin at flights...it seems air asia dont fly to Korea so whats the best way to get there? and also the Harbin ice festival in China fits in with my time, what airport is best to fly too to get there........will she be ok to travel to any of these without visa restrictions?

Yes they do.

You have to check Air Asia X from KL to Seoul.

Everyone needs a visa for China (including you), but it 's just a matter of paying the fee and getting a travel agent to put the application in. No hassles at all.

Yes they do.

You have to check Air Asia X from KL to Seoul.

New Korean low cost carrier T'way Air is starting flights on Oct 15 between Suvarnabhumi and Incheon airports. There are also 2 other Korean carriers which are supposed to fly this route Jeju Air and Jin Air (but i've never heard of them).

As stated above T'Way starts flying there from next week, you have to book through their agent at the moment as you cannot book online yet: http://www.twaygsa.com

Thai and Korean Air also fly direct if you don't want to dog leg down to KL.We went skiing in Yong Pyong in South Korea a couple of years ago and enjoyed it very much pleasantly cold at -18 degrees, not very expensive with the added bonus that neither of us needed a visa.

Edited by theoldgit

Korea

India

Lebanon

Not sure of the distances of each

Lebanon? A candidate for "nearest" snow? And Thai people don't know their geography?

We do have snow here, swim in the Med and 2 hours later be skiing. :D

but getting a visa for a Thai will be a challenge............

Korea

India

Lebanon

Lebanon? A candidate for "nearest" snow? And Thai people don't know their geography?

I know you have snow there...but it's not exactly close to Thailand!

What kind of price for the whole trip theoldgit.. might interest me in a few months.

Difficult to give you an accurate answer to that one, we made our own flight arrangements using miles then used a local agent, http://www.winterfriend.com/ for the land arrangements, I cannot remember what we paid but I do remember thinking it to be pretty reasonable at the time, the local company were excellent.

Korea

India

Lebanon

I know you have snow there...but it's not exactly close to Thailand!

Don't bite the hand that feeds.

I did not suggest Lebanon, only commenting on it as a possible location.

Snow every year starts around the middle of November in the mountains, especially up around Chang Mai. Also, Further North, Siberia I hear is nice this time of year. It may be a lot cheaper just to show your girlfriend photos of snow. Think she will buy that ?%$#

Korea is certainly not the nearest for this purpose but it would be one of the best choices, I think.

Watch out for the Korean guys though....many Thai girls have a thing for Korean guys now (well, mainly since 3-4 years ago, I guess) :)

Jem

Korea

India

Lebanon

Just a bit of out of the box thinking.

You can go snow skiing and water skiing on the same day. No need to be in a frozen climate when you can enjoy the best of both worlds.