Chuwit Warns Shortages Could Lead To Looting: Flood Crisis

webfact

Chuwit warns shortages could lead to looting

THE NATION

30167557-01.JPG

Rak Prathet Thai Party chief Chuwit Kamolvisit has warned of chaos and possible looting as flood victims endure surging prices for consumer goods and the lack of necessary items.

He said many people in Ayutthaya province who were seriously affected by the flood had complained to him they had been abandoned to their troubles. People living outside the city of Ayutthaya had been cut off from electricity and water supply services, he said.

Many had decided to stay in their homes due to fear of robbery if they left.

Chuwit said speculation and the stocking up of necessities had raised the prices of consumer items dramatically, further hurting people already affected by the floods. The price of drinking water had risen from Bt7 a bottle to nearly Bt30, a small pack of instant noodles is up from Bt5 to Bt30, he said.

The prices of bricks were hiked from Bt3 or Bt4 each to Bt10-12, he said. Sandbags, necessary for building water barricades, are in short supply with prices rising to Bt80-100 a piece.

Necessities such as government survival bags are reaching only people who live in towns as there were no boats to take them to remote areas.

"[some] boat owners have become blood suckers, charging flood-affected passengers as much as Bt500 per trip," Chuwit said.

The government, including the Commerce Ministry, should utilise all its branches, both in the central and local administration, to deliver the necessities to people otherwise there could be a chaotic situation, panic and looting as people try to stock up on supplies, he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-10-13

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's right and that is precisely why so much effort has been invested in saving Bangkok. Bangkok is densely populated and the financial heart of thailand. Any civil unrest in Bangkok would spread with widespread looting and attacks against the "haves". This is when a government declares the draconian emergency decree. Let's hope it doesn't get to that.

I went to our local supermarket yesterday afternoon and normally there is a few people shopping ,more on a Sunday. I was shocked it was full and the majority of the shelves were empty and you could see greedy people buying food they do not necessarily need .

If this continues there will be shortages for sure.

He's right and that is precisely why so much effort has been invested in saving Bangkok. Bangkok is densely populated and the financial heart of thailand. Any civil unrest in Bangkok would spread with widespread looting and attacks against the "haves". This is when a government declares the draconian emergency decree. Let's hope it doesn't get to that.

The only time Bangkok suffers "civil unrest" is when the Thaksin's red shirt terrorists invade the city and start lobbing grenades and burning down buildings. Fortunately most red shirts are up to their necks in flood water so hopefully Bangkok will be spared this time.

I went to our local supermarket yesterday afternoon and normally there is a few people shopping ,more on a Sunday. I was shocked it was full and the majority of the shelves were empty and you could see greedy people buying food they do not necessarily need .

If this continues there will be shortages for sure.

I was at the supermarket the other day and there was an almost blind panic type energy in the place with food being bought in phenomenal amounts (anyone would have thought it was the end of the world or Christmas eve!!) .Needless to say i got the essentials in; a bottle of vodka and a carton of chocolate hagen daz! Bring on the water.

After the earthquake in Japan, there was panic buying also with items selling out. Many stores instituted rationing of water, rice and other goods to keep the hoarders at bay. Goods that were to be rationed had a noticed placed by them saying things like one bottle (2L) per person or 5kg of rice etc.

Fear not! The Red Shirts will protect us.

Edited by metisdead
Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes.

By the way...

Farang cannot help!

You need a work permit!

Remember to stay out of Thai problems or You could be blamed for the floods.

thats actually true ,farangs are not allowed to help anyone build sandbag walls

unless they have a work permit for such task ,without a permit they are breaking

the law and even voluntary unpaid labour may be classed as work :rolleyes:

By the way...

Farang cannot help!

You need a work permit!

unless they have a work permit for such task ,without a permit they are breaking

If this is true, I'm glad to hear it! The 'Thai problems' I'm trying to 'stay out of' is the waist-deep (or deeper) kind.

By the way...

Farang cannot help!

You need a work permit!

If this is true, I'm glad to hear it! The 'Thai problems' I'm trying to 'stay out of' is the waist-deep (or deeper) kind.

it is 100% true actually

,no work ,even voluntary may be done by any farang without a valid work permit and

anyone in breach maybe arrested ,imprisoned ,fined or deported :)

By the way...

Farang cannot help!

You need a work permit!

it is 100% true actually

,no work ,even voluntary may be done by any farang without a valid work permit and

Im pretty sure they would not enforce it. I have been helping with sandbags a bit in the village here. Not too much as i have other work too but i doubt it would cause a problem.

By the way...

Farang cannot help!

You need a work permit!

it is 100% true actually

Why is your smiley-face positioned next to the punishment list? Come to think of it, why is there even a smiley-face? This work issue is serious business with me and I've always gone out of my way to avoid it - with great success. :jap:

"[some] boat owners have become blood suckers, charging flood-affected passengers as much as Bt500 per trip," Chuwit said.

Somewhat similar to charging 3000 baht for a bath and massage. :ermm:

Yea but there is a difference between a want (soapy) and a need (dry feet).

Guess a craving is more serious than a want or a need.

Guess a craving is more serious than a want or a need.

bit like perceived pricing at a hotel mini-bar - you don't really want to pay 120 Baht for that bag of cashews but can't help yourself.

By the way...

Farang cannot help!

You need a work permit!

it is 100% true actually

while technically true (as it is in most all countries when you don't have a visa to work, you can't do volunteer work) ... nobody is going to be hassling anybody for helping out in an emergency just as much as you will not be violated for throwing your food tray out after eating at McDonalds or helping a clerk at a store to reach an item on a high shelf ... nor will you get in trouble for volunteering to give a friend a ride to the store, informing other tourists about the history of a tourist site or the millions of other things that could be classified as volunteer work.

Nisa #28

I did 2 terms teaching at local high schools voluntary , and later received 2 certificates for my work and the sacrifices I made to help, This was from top Education in My Udon=Jangwat. So I could be deported for giving service---Education verses Immigration.:jap:

it is 100% true actually

while technically true (as it is in most all countries when you don't have a visa to work, you can't do volunteer work) ... nobody is going to be hassling anybody for helping out in an emergency just as much as you will not be violated for throwing your food tray out after eating at McDonalds or helping a clerk at a store to reach an item on a high shelf ... nor will you get in trouble for volunteering to give a friend a ride to the store, informing other tourists about the history of a tourist site or the millions of other things that could be classified as volunteer work.

Does posting Straw Man arguments on TV forums classify as innocent, volunteer work as well?

Edited by MaxYakov