Hilton Hotel Buffet

ciaociao

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have heard that The Hilton does a buffet one evening where there is flow wine and beer for 1200 baht, is this true, anyone been?

Several places advertise "free-flow" beer or wine for x hours for a supplement or as part of the price. That Brazilian place at Central Festival does and I'm pretty sure I've seen an ad for the Hilton also, and possibly the Montien.

Never bothered with it myself as I never drink more than a couple of beers.

Free drinking water is hardly limited to American culture. Go the typical Thai street restaurant and there is ... free water. Guzzling water? Are you kidding?

At an all you can eat BUFFET of any price level, my feeling is that free drinking water is totally expected all over the world. You are saying the Hilton really doesn't offer that? That's sleazy.

first i do not eat at typical thai street restaurants so i would not know

do you really enjoy eating at the side of a dusty road being choked by diesel fumes, eating food cooked in the open, in little better than half oil drums, often covered in flies and served on dirty plastic plates on dirty decrepit wobbly old tables and chairs only good enough for firewood?

not me, i came here for a better life than i had back home

that ''better life ''' i was seeking did not include experiencing typical Thai food sitting outside in the equivalent of a charity soup kitchen

America is the only place i have had free water served

i have never had it in England or anywhere in Europe

i have not had it here until i went to the Hilton

when i say guzzling the free water, i can confirm i have seen it with my own eyes

as you have never been to the Hilton and really cannot comment then my feeling is that your feeling is wrong, really sleazily wrong................................

But Rimmer old chap ,we are discussing the overpriced European style buffet ,that some of our members have travelled half way round the world to live and then end up eating at,instead of good Thai food at a reasonable price ,if you wish to eat at such places why not stay in the West? :)

but thaimate old chap, do you really enjoy eating cold food at the side of a dusty road being choked by diesel fumes, eating food that was cooked in the open, in little better than cut in half half oil drums, often covered in flies and served on dirty plastic plates on dirty decrepit wobbly old tables and chairs only good enough for firewood?

that ''better life ''' i was seeking did not include experiencing typical Thai food sitting outside in the equivalent of a UK charity soup kitchen

that may be ok for you, and may well be more attractive to you than a civilized feed in splendid surroundings at the Hilton but its not for me

it simply does not fit into my plan on how i want to to live my life here

in your previous post you said we were the ones living in paradise

really, you should take off the rose tinted glasses

paradise is not in pattaya , paradise is not even in Thailand, far from it

i have lived in far better places and had i sufficient funds and could divest myself of my responsibilities here, i would happily move on to one of them

Pattaya is my place of choice to live in Thailand because its easy & generally cheap to live here, nothing more..............

But Rimmer old chap ,we are discussing the overpriced European style buffet ,that some of our members have travelled half way round the world to live and then end up eating at,instead of good Thai food at a reasonable price ,if you wish to eat at such places why not stay in the West? :)

but thaimate old chap, do you really enjoy eating cold food at the side of a dusty road being choked by diesel fumes, eating food that was cooked in the open, in little better than cut in half half oil drums, often covered in flies and served on dirty plastic plates on dirty decrepit wobbly old tables and chairs only good enough for firewood?

that ''better life ''' i was seeking did not include experiencing typical Thai food sitting outside in the equivalent of a UK charity soup kitchen

that may be ok for you, and may well be more attractive to you than a civilized feed in splendid surroundings at the Hilton but its not for me

i have lived in far better places and had i sufficient funds and could divest myself of my responsibilities here, i would happily move on to one of them

Pattaya is my place of choice to live in Thailand because its easy & generally cheap to live here, nothing more..............

Actually judging by the last part of your tirade ,it seems far from being your choice place to stay ,it seems your stuck here ,unlike us lucky guys who WANT to be here ,and i rarely eat at the roadside taking in lungfulls of diesel fumes but at nice Thai restaurants not overpriced tourist trap buffet bars ,anyway old chap whatever floats your boat ,chin chin :D

Actually judging by the last part of your tirade ,it seems far from being your choice place to stay ,it seems your stuck here ,unlike us lucky guys who WANT to be here ,and i rarely eat at the roadside taking in lungfulls of diesel fumes but at nice Thai restaurants not overpriced tourist trap buffet bars ,anyway old chap whatever floats your boat ,chin chin :D

like i said before who really cares what you think.......

I see nothing worng with eating Western food in Thailand now and, not everyday, but couple of times a week.

And some of the fried rice from the road stalls are great value for 30-40 baht - and its cooked there and then.

Anyway, does the Hilton do a decent breakfast buffet ?

The Hilton buffet in Jakarta used to be the best place in town for a good feed - for about 3 quid.

Simopn

Again, we are NOT discussing "that some of our members have travelled half way round the world to live and then end up eating at,instead of good Thai food." Totally irrelevant to the thread, purely a trollish little subjective judgment. We all know about Thai food and its prices in various locations.

Note that Asians travel half way across the world and then continue eating their own food, not the locals'. So what?

Here on the forum a recurring silly assertion by Thai wannabes is that if you live in a different country you must become a local. Actually, farangs have no obligation to become Thais. Most of us don't wish to become Thai and have no intention of trying to do so. Moreover, Thais are quite comfortable w/ that idea.

Me, I'm happy just the way I am, thank you.

Since you were warned, let's hope Rimmer follows up with you.

Now, can we talk about the buffet? I love it and the ambience, service, and view, and am looking forward to my next visit.

Edited by JSixpack

Variety is the spice of life.

I often enjoy Thai roadside restaurants, plastic chairs and all, many of them are excellent.

I also occasionally enjoy venues such as the Hilton.

People filling up on free water at an all you can eat buffet seems a bit of an odd idea and is no doubt a figment of your deluded mind.

I'm quite well travelled and can assure you that free water is the norm in places like Europe/UK. Indeed to provide it is a legal requirement in many of those countries.

OK, they do also have bottled water available to purchase, and they often try to promote that, but free tap water (which of course is totally drinkable) is always available on request. Most restaurants will provide free chilled water also, though free chilling isnt a requirement.

Previously here water was always free, in all classes of restaurant from the highest to the lowest. I have also had free water elsewhere I have been in SE Asia, and South America.

I eat in all sorts of places, including street stalls, though you wont often see me eating the usual farang pub food that is common in Pattaya as I find it to be poor value and a bit tasteless.

I regularly drink free clean chilled water in a nearby Thai place that does good over-rice dishes for just 20B. Not to offer it in the Hilton, where the meal costs 20 times as much, does seem a bit cheap.

Variety is the spice of life.

I often enjoy Thai roadside restaurants, plastic chairs and all, many of them are excellent.

I also occasionally enjoy venues such as the Hilton.

People filling up on free water at an all you can eat buffet seems a bit of an odd idea and is no doubt a figment of your deluded mind.

you must know me then, in fact i might be the deluded person at your elbow at your next visit to the Hilton but certainly not at a Thai soup kitchen

i would pay not to eat at such places and have done so in the past

next thing you will be telling me i should be trapsing around in mosquito infested jungles looking at picturesque waterfalls and fungus overgrown temples and communing with the real Thai folks

man, whatever next..........

I'm quite well travelled and can assure you that free water is the norm in places like Europe/UK. Indeed to provide it is a legal requirement in many of those countries.

OK, they do also have bottled water available to purchase, and they often try to promote that, but free tap water (which of course is totally drinkable) is always available on request. Most restaurants will provide free chilled water also, though free chilling isnt a requirement.

Previously here water was always free, in all classes of restaurant from the highest to the lowest. I have also had free water elsewhere I have been in SE Asia, and South America.

I eat in all sorts of places, including street stalls, though you wont often see me eating the usual farang pub food that is common in Pattaya as I find it to be poor value and a bit tasteless.

I regularly drink free clean chilled water in a nearby Thai place that does good over-rice dishes for just 20B. Not to offer it in the Hilton, where the meal costs 20 times as much, does seem a bit cheap.

Darrel

i am from the UK

i used to have a restaurant, its not a legal requirement

what is true is that you can get tap water if you ask and its a requirement that you must try to provide it when asked for it

but its not a requirement for it to be served or put on the table prior to dining

if that's done its out of courtesy not commitment

so like i said i have never been served it free in the UK

as you know, in the USA there's glasses and a jug and the waitress tops you up from it constantly even when you have ordered a drink

i used to live in Marbella and it was served there as a norm by the bottle but you found it on the bill at the end

a bottle of Evian at $5 a bottle was not easily concealed

you would not want to drink Spanish tap water, although it has improved immeasurably from the Viva Espana days

as to water being free at the Hilton. it was free for a long time as you know

the story goes that could not afford to offer it free anymore as there were disproportionally large quantities of it being consumed compared to number of customers that were attending

also beverage purchases in comparison to other hotels in the group were way down

so they had to charge for it

my thoughts are that no one else in their level of business in pattaya gives it for free so why should they?

i thought it did well to last the six months...........

Here on the forum a recurring silly assertion by Thai wannabes is that if you live in a different country you must become a local.

This and the obnoxious insistence that there should be no Western fast food places in Thailand for those who want them are so boring and ridiculous that bringing them up on the forum should be against the Thai Visa rules. :annoyed:

Edited by Ulysses G.

That seems very strange too me. :unsure:

In nearly any Restaurant in France you can ask for free water :)

(delivered in Carafe as opposed to Bottles that you have to pay).

I am pretty sure the same thing occurs in mos restaurant from Italy and Spain.

That seems very strange too me. :unsure:

In nearly any Restaurant in France you can ask for free water :)

(delivered in Carafe as opposed to Bottles that you have to pay).

I am pretty sure the same thing occurs in mos restaurant from Italy and Spain.

when i lived in Marbella, southern Spain you could not drink the tap water

they advised you not to even clean your teeth with it

pretty much like here

i have been to Italy a few times but can't remember drinking tap water or getting it free

in fact i can remember being charged around $10 for a bottle of it at a restaurant in Saint Mark Square in Venice

in France they barely speak to a Brit never mind give free water.........

Here on the forum a recurring silly assertion by Thai wannabes is that if you live in a different country you must become a local.

This and the obnoxious insistence that there should be no Western fast food places in Thailand for those who want them are so boring and ridiculous that bringing them up on the forum should be against the Thai Visa rules. :annoyed:

i agree with both of you

i jokingly refer to my house as Little Britain

we still take afternoon tea

i have Coronation Street sent over on DVD

we think Downton Abbey is the best program currently on True

i buy the imported Waitrose products from Central

i was recently excited to find some Fray Bentos flat tinned pies at Friendship and some Sarsons malt vinegar

i ask myself, have i ever felt that way looking at a Thai food?

i mean, what is in that big sloppy dark brown mass that i see around in Big C ?

it looks like something the dog ate already and threw up on the floor

and why are the boiled eggs black?

in England they would be considered to have gone off

especially if someone referred to them as 100 year old eggs!

is this wrong of me?

i can't be alone, surely Friendship, Foodland , Best, the Villa market, and Central tops are not importing all this stuff just for me?

should i throw away my British heritage as well as my common sense at the airport?

i am from the UK

what is true is that you can get tap water if you ask and its a requirement that you must try to provide it when asked for it

but its not a requirement for it to be served or put on the table prior to dining

That is a hair that even I would not split.

I do eat out in Europe and the UK. I have never paid for water anywhere in those countries, out of principle. I dont care whether the water is on the table when I arrive, or whether I have to ask for it, just as long as it comes and I dont have to pay for it.

Anything that arrives at my table without me bringing it myself has been served, as far as I'm concerned.

The provision of free drinking water is a legal requirement in restaurants in France.

when i say guzzling the free water, i can confirm i have seen it with my own eyes

as you have never been to the Hilton and really cannot comment then my feeling is that your feeling is wrong, really sleazily wrong................................

OMG.

If they are guzzling water, they are THIRSTY.

Basic drinking water (not the bottled stuff) is CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP to provide.

Please consider the concept of an all you can eat buffet. The restaurant wants to fill your belly and make you happy for as little food cost as they can and of course charge as much as the market will bear for that.

In a higher end buffet, water rates as cheap as you can get to FILL STOMACH SPACE.

The more people "guzzling" "free" water the better from their bean counters point of view. Yes I realize now they force people to buy drinks. However, what they don't know is the repeat business they may be losing by being mean that way.

Edited by Jingthing

Cant understand your mentality ,come to live in Thailand and eat at European style overpriced buffets , f----- maddness.

Why is it <deleted> madness ??

Nobody is stating they do it day after day are they ?? I like to mix and match on a daily basis. I'm happy to pay 30 baht for a rice dish or a 1000 baht buffet if the mood dictates ??

I'm not too sure that 350 baht IS actually overpriced !! Seems a real deal considering the brand name ??

It is truly amazing to me how many low lifers rate the quality of a

buffet or any other food (look for the "best breakfast in Pattaya"

thread) by price alone.

Some peoples taste buds appear to be wired to their wallet. If

it is more than 65 baht, it taste bad ....

Never mind about the ingredients of food, or the type of oil used.

But I guess if you smoke 2 packs a day, you taste buds are dead

anyway ... and you cant afford more than 110 baht for any type of

food.

Anybody looking for food advice on this board is lost ... go and

try for yourself and ignore all the crap posted here. I have given

up on any food advice from this board ....

Cheers,

rudi

OMG.

If they are guzzling water, they are THIRSTY.

Basic drinking water (not the bottled stuff) is CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP to provide.

Please consider the concept of an all you can eat buffet. The restaurant wants to fill your belly and make you happy for as little food cost as they can and of course charge as much as the market will bear for that.

In a higher end buffet, water rates as cheap as you can get to FILL STOMACH SPACE.

The more people "guzzling" "free" water the better from their bean counters point of view. Yes I realize now they force people to buy drinks. However, what they don't know is the repeat business they may be losing by being mean that way.

yes they are doing so badly by not providing free water that when it first opened it was a walk in, now you have to book and they have put the prices up

its a poor show altogether, they must have lost thousands of clients over the free water issue

maybe you should try it sometime before commenting and take your own water.........

OOH. i think ive ratled someones cage,i give up it is wonderfull come to sunny Thailand ,watch Corrie on the box and then off to a western hotel for the buffet and get charged for a glass of water ,it doesnt get much better than that :partytime2:

thaimate, you want to go native, that's your call.

its not mine..........

i am from the UK

That is a hair that even I would not split.

I do eat out in Europe and the UK. I have never paid for water anywhere in those countries, out of principle. I dont care whether the water is on the table when I arrive, or whether I have to ask for it, just as long as it comes and I dont have to pay for it.

Anything that arrives at my table without me bringing it myself has been served, as far as I'm concerned.

The provision of free drinking water is a legal requirement in restaurants in France.

its a valid principle darrel but in some of the countries i have traveled to, i want to drink my water from a bottle that arrives sealed (call it served if you need to)

Edited by Rimmer

And about water, "water in carafe" does not systematically means "tap water".

In many places it come from big bottle/container of some cheap water company.

Just don't expect Vitel or Evian water for free ;)

Edited by Rimmer
Quoted reply and reply to it

OOH. i think ive ratled someones cage,i give up it is wonderfull come to sunny Thailand ,watch Corrie on the box and then off to a western hotel for the buffet and get charged for a glass of water ,it doesnt get much better than that :partytime2:

thaimate, you want to go native, that's your call.

its not mine..........

Dont take it to heart mate ,i;me only messing about ,you do what you want over here (by the way i am far far from native) but Corrie? that is bad (why dont you download it from pirate bay every day ,saves getting it taped?) :whistling:

Cant understand your mentality ,come to live in Thailand and eat at European style overpriced buffets , f----- maddness.

Why is it <deleted> madness ??

Nobody is stating they do it day after day are they ?? I like to mix and match on a daily basis. I'm happy to pay 30 baht for a rice dish or a 1000 baht buffet if the mood dictates ??

I'm not too sure that 350 baht IS actually overpriced !! Seems a real deal considering the brand name ??

Agree.

And I think that is what most of us do.

There is a great little thai place opposite Soi LK Metro where you can get a meal for 40baht which i do sometimes but I also like to go to the Mantra, Rimpa Lapin, The Hilton etc

Generally speaking i dont eat a lot of Thai street food and the main reason is the oil most of them use is pretty toxic stuff. Yeah it is cheap but it is also often nasty.