Thai Officials On Defensive As Flood Anger Mounts

Lite Beer

A lot of people live in central Bangkok. How do you provide them relief if they're stuck in a metre or 2 of water?

2.5 - 3 million already affected by the floods. If central Bangkok was seriously flooded, you could double or triple that.

What should Bangkok people be immune? Bangkok people pay special tax?

As many people as possible should be protected, where ever they are.

What is the point of having another 5 million (or more) people under a metre of water?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of people live in central Bangkok. How do you provide them relief if they're stuck in a metre or 2 of water?

2.5 - 3 million already affected by the floods. If central Bangkok was seriously flooded, you could double or triple that.

What should Bangkok people be immune? Bangkok people pay special tax?

As many people as possible should be protected, where ever they are.

What is the point of having another 5 million (or more) people under a metre of water?

Maybe it will help him 'feel better'?

Don't explain to me abot how and where the water flows: it is my 2nd week of being soaked at Pathumthani, and it flows right through my corridor.

Once again: you have no idea how MUCH and how FAST those waters are. I do.

PS: and it IS being kept here. Go and see the CLOSED watergates at Klong Prapa (protecting the lower areas such as ChaengWattana and so on). Those are shut, man. And at my house I got around 1.5-1.8m of water then (Im higher that thi watergate),

PPS: and the water (here) flows NOT no Bangkok - not to south. It flows (here) from east to west, bypassing Klong prapa (which leads north to south but shut).

And one place where they have been forced to open the flood gates is now flooding areas south of it, without making much difference up stream of the flood gate.

Seriously do you believe that logic ??

If the gates opened.. And they are letting water out.. They are reducing their own water burden, if you say the level hasnt gone down, well it would be even higher if the gate wasnt open then wouldnt it.

And one place where they have been forced to open the flood gates is now flooding areas south of it, without making much difference up stream of the flood gate.

If the gates opened.. And they are letting water out.. They are reducing their own water burden, if you say the level hasnt gone down, well it would be even higher if the gate wasnt open then wouldnt it.

There was a tweet yesterday that the water level increased by 50 cms in the area above this gate. That was due to the high tides.

Flooding more areas will only make a small difference to already flooded areas. What is the point of doubling the number of people that are flooded just for a small difference up stream?

The water wouldn't necessarily be higher if the gate was left closed, because they are using other klongs to drain the water off. It's just going to take time. Flooding new areas may reduce that time, but will double the people and business affected.

Edited by whybother

"We have limited numbers of army vehicles and boats and we cannot go into every street and hand out food and water three times a day," he said.

Gee, maybe this wouldn't be a problem if maybe they accepted the help of a certain massive carrier equipped with a dozen helicopters and aircraft capable of providing logistics. :rolleyes:

Your right about that!

The OP was commenting on urban Bangkok. Please explain how a few helicopters would be used to "provide logistics" in a congested urban zone. Which aircraft carrier are you referring too? If you mean the USN vessel, you are incorrect. Helicopters are not used to deliver aid in congested urban settings. There are a number of dangerous obstacles such as high structures, difficult air currents caused by the structures hanging wires and other aviation hazards. Do you propose that that the helicopters just toss the aid from a safe height of a few hundred meters? The problem with that idea is that the packages would explode on impact. No responsible authority will use helicopters to fly into congested areas where people can be put at risk from the backwash or worse, a crash. Helicopters might be used for rescues,and to reach difficult areas, but there really was and still is no need for helicopters to be used in the areas referenced. More aid would be moved by a few trucks and boats than a helicopter under the current circumstances.

Helicopters can easily safely be used to deliver aid and evacuate people from; The national sports stadium, Ramkhamhaeng stadium, Royal Turf club, and a few hundred other places.

Edited by rogerdee123

Don't explain to me abot how and where the water flows: it is my 2nd week of being soaked at Pathumthani, and it flows right through my corridor.

Once again: you have no idea how MUCH and how FAST those waters are. I do.

PS: and it IS being kept here. Go and see the CLOSED watergates at Klong Prapa (protecting the lower areas such as ChaengWattana and so on). Those are shut, man. And at my house I got around 1.5-1.8m of water then (Im higher that thi watergate),

PPS: and the water (here) flows NOT no Bangkok - not to south. It flows (here) from east to west, bypassing Klong prapa (which leads north to south but shut).

No it wouldn't necessarily. When the water (theoretically) gets lower in that community that has broken down the barrier, water from all the surrounding areas then moves into the void created including water that would have flowed out thru an entirely different canal route.

"We have limited numbers of army vehicles and boats and we cannot go into every street and hand out food and water three times a day," he said.

This is exactly why they can't afford to let the flooding to extend to a lot more districts in Bangkok. While it might (very hypothetically) reduce the height of water in the already flooded zones, it will spread even more thinly the resources they have for rescue. It's probably much easier to handle a limited perimeter of high level flooding than a larger perimeter of medium level.

10000% CORRECT

As usual, can't count on the government and police to keep the peace. It istime to call the Army

Also These actions by angry Thais will not be forgotten by Bangkokresidence. When time comes, then people with Bangkok will be less generous tohelp the flood effected people. What I know about Thai people they are very revengeful

And let's not forget to mention the man who has quite successfully generated massive divisions in Thai society in the last 8 years or so.

Well in fact if such scenario becomes true then the bangkokian will have a lot to worry about...as far as i remember there are few rice fields, chicken farms and so so in bkk.....

This is exactly why they can't afford to let the flooding to extend to a lot more districts in Bangkok. While it might (very hypothetically) reduce the height of water in the already flooded zones, it will spread even more thinly the resources they have for rescue. It's probably much easier to handle a limited perimeter of high level flooding than a larger perimeter of medium level.

10000% CORRECT

It would also make fewer places available to harbor the displaced and store food and drive between flooded places to give aid. There are many more reasons to limit the flooding of non-flooded place than the spurious feel good factor of lowing a little bit the water levels in the already flooded places.