Chiang Mai Safari: Rare Animals On The Menu At Zoo

george

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plan for exotic menu called ‘barbaric’

BANGKOK: -- Social critics and environmental activists have pronounced the “exotic menus” that the Chiang Mai Night Safari plans to offer, a grotesque reversal of the worldwide trend to protect wild species.

Former prime minister Anand Panyarachun, who is also the president of the Thailand Environment Institute, said yesterday that while some parts of Thai society had been working hard to campaign for conservation, others were acting in a way that eroded their good work.

He made the comments while presiding over the award-presentation dinner for the seventh Green Globe Awards 2005, which are handed out to media bodies as well as individuals and communities who have contributed outstanding work in the fields of the environment and conservation.

“Any individual or group who acts in any way that damages nature or the environment will ultimately reap the consequences,” Anand said.

He also said that as well as highlighting the excellent work being done with the Green Globe award, he wished to point to and condemn those individuals practising damaging behaviour.

“There has been a worldwide trend for conservation that has attempted to stop the consumption of wild animals and focus on conservation, so he (Plodprasop) must explain to the public what is happening in our society,” Anand said in his condemnation of zoo project director Plodprasop Suraswadi’s idea to offer a daily buffet of “wild” cuisine in the zoo’s Vareekunchorn restaurant for Bt4,500 a head.

Sumet Tantivejkul, secretary-general of the Chai Pattana Foundation who was a speaker at the event said that when people see the Earth and nature itself as merchandise, it signals morally desolate times.

Nikhom Phutta, an official at the Wildlife Fund Thailand, said the idea would destroy the identity of Chiang Mai, which relies on its unique culture and natural beauty and is often referred to as a land of gentility and generosity. He added that the state officer whose duty it is to conserve the environment was actively promoting the “barbaric idea” in the blinkered pursuit of money.

When the idea for the “wild menus” comes to the attention of the rest of the world, it will destroy the country’s image as a member of Cites, Nikhom said.

Plodprasop yesterday explained that he had adopted the idea from some game parks and farms in Africa that offer wildlife for their patrons’ consumption. He added that he wanted to import the wild animal meats, which include zebra and jungle bull from such farms for special occasions. He also said that the idea of providing crocodile and dog meat was not that unusual, as the meats were already available in the country.

--The Nation 2005-11-18

Plan for exotic menu called ‘barbaric’

Plodprasop yesterday explained that he had adopted the idea from some game parks and farms in Africa that offer wildlife for their patrons’ consumption. He added that he wanted to import the wild animal meats, which include zebra and jungle bull from such farms for special occasions. He also said that the idea of providing crocodile and dog meat was not that unusual, as the meats were already available in the country.

--The Nation 2005-11-18

Now the back stepping begins. What happened to the lions and tigers? "Sorry luv, tiger's orf the menu today" :o

Actually its suprising they don't have a "kill it yer'self" option for those really in need of big face. Shotgun shells and a tie-down of your animal are included, all for maybe about 20,000 Baht. It has to die somehow, why not increase profits and let the diners have a little pride in their meals.

Even big hair hi-so girls can be brave hunters now. Just have your driver pull up alongside some unsuspecting beaver or koala bear or whatever, hold your coctail tight between your knees and pull the trigger a few times, and you just killed your first big game dinner.

Maybe for 40,000 Baht or so they could even let you torture the animals for a while first. You get to keep the hide, bones and teeth to make tribal safari outfits and jewelery, proudly announcing that you can afford to pay an absurd amount of money for the prestige of killing, maiming and eating your very own majestic wild animal.

Being far more culturally sophisticated and socially polished than the common peasant on the street, their more advanced nature will be ever more evident as they parade through the Emporium in a "Crocadille Dunde" genuine animal hide outfit, available exclusively from the Chiang Mai Night Safari.

What says "I'm richer than you'll ever be" better than a panda bear tuxedo, one of only two available in all Thailand. The Chinese might get pissed off for a while, but they will come around shortly, as who better than they know how important a man's need to eat an endangered species in order to maintain a 36 hour erection and de-flower no less than a dozen virgins is, and far outweighs the need to protect any animal species, no matter how rare on our planet they are.

Last time I was at the Chiang Mai Zoo there were no moose in their cages, so until they can get some, I'll just have to wait until the "Rocky & Bullwinkle Mixed Grill" is back on the menu before blowing all my rent money on another "Huckleberry Hound Pie" or "Laughing Hyiena Hamburger" again. A nice red wine always goes best with good dog meat, domestic or otherwise, however white wine is a must with any rodent or marsupial dishes.

A safari is what they call it?!? Sounds more like the circus to me, one where the clowns somehow got in charge.

:o:D:D

Excellent marketing. Excellent!

Special wok for giraffe ? fast cooker for Cheetah ?

Special clinics for 3 legged elephants

(you can't eat a good elephant all at once) :D

For some obscure reason i find this :o:D:D:D:burp:

Judging by that last post Potato, they are doing the right thing in not serving alcohol after midnight.

:D:D:D:D

Well this came as a bit of a shock, sort of destroys everything I have said in the last week or so. It is apalling, but sadly once again a reason to knock the thais, but this goes on everywhere nothing to do with race or creed or country, just profit!!!Here in Brisbane there are a few places that have exotic meats on the menu the only reason koala is not on the menu is because they are in edible, but all in all a nother real setback for thailand,nignoy

Amazingly stupid .........they should be offering boiled government officials on the menu instead of endangered animals!!

====================================================

:D FINALLY: someone's come-up with a SENSIBLE idea !

. . . . they should be offering boiled government officials on the menu instead of endangered animals!!

Jaudeeguy: I couldn't agree more ! ! ! !

PS-1: Mind you, their politics are totally unpalatable; what makes you think their 'final' culinairy qualities would end-up like ? ? ? ? ? ?

PS-2: Then again; it may be tough eaten', but at least THEY wouldn't be able to do any further damage to this magnificent Kingdom ! ! right ?! :o

PS-3 They're certainly not an endangered species!

What a stupid idea. This is bound to be yet another black eye for LOS.

CHIANG MAI SAFARI: Rare animals on the menu at zoo

CHIANG MAI: -- Visitors offered daily buffet of lion, tiger, elephant and giraffe meat; conservation groups outraged. Lovers of “wild” cuisine are in for a treat when Chiang Mai’s Night Safari opens next year, project director Plodprasop Suraswadi said yesterday. Visitors to the park’s Vareekunchorn restaurant will have the option of tucking in to an “Exotic Buffet” of tiger, lion, elephant and giraffe, for just Bt4,500 a head.

The park, which had a soft opening yesterday, officially opens on New Year’s Day.

The animal-buffet idea has drawn strong protests from wildlife groups, which have expressed concern that the menu of endangered and protected animals will confuse the public and foreign visitors about the real objective of the zoo, as well as Thailand’s stance on wildlife conservation.

According to Plodprasop, animals for the buffet would be imported daily and legally to the zoo.

Ironically, the prime minister said the park would aim to increase public awareness of natural science and wildlife.

“The zoo will be outstanding, with several restaurants offering visitors the chance to experience exotic foods such as imported horse, kangaroo, giraffe, snake, elephant, tiger and lion meat.

“We will also provide domestic crocodile and dog meat from Sakon Nakhon province,” Plodprasop said at a press tour before Thaksin presided over the soft opening.

Plodprasop said food provided at the buffet restaurant would be fresh daily and cooked by five foreign chefs.

Wildlife Fund Thailand secretary Surapol Duangkae said yesterday that although consuming wildlife didn’t violate Cites [Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species], it could fly in the face of moral issues and worsen the country’s image on wildlife-trade issues.

“The idea will set the country’s image back a century, because nowadays zoos around the world aim to educate and conserve wildlife, as well as campaigning to stop the killing of animals,” he said.

He said the action of the government would appear to the world as if Thailand approved of the endangered-wildlife trade and consumption.

There have already been cases of 100 tigers exported to China, elephants planned to be transferred to Australia and the illegal import of orang-utans.

Surapol said the country has also been accused of trafficking endangered species, and being a trading centre and hunting ground for endangered species.

“The government’s action seems to confirm these accusations,” Surapol said.

Petch Manopavitr, a Wildlife Conservation Society activist said this was a sensitive issue as the prime minister had previously declared that the country wanted to suppress wildlife trade in the region.

“I see it as a bad idea to market the zoo. In fact, it was wrong from the start with the idea of importing wild animals from Kenya,” Petch said.

Petch was also concerned about illnesses from eating wild animals.

“The zoo should be a place for study and conservation, not killing. Promoting the eating of wild animals will confuse adults and children about what’s right and what’s wrong,” he said.

However, the prime minister seemed unconvinced by Plodprasop’s idea as he said that only part of a crocodile’s body could be eaten and it therefore wouldn’t be worth killing.

--The Nation 2005-11-17

Tune in to Radio Bangkok and listen to the full story at 3pm & 9pm:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=51025

Let's face it, Thaksin is basically George Bush on rice. He doesn't give a ###### about nature or animals (just like the idiot running the US right now) and he likely doesn't give a ###### about what anyone else thinks about him... just like George W.

I hope that the international media burns his ass alive for coming up with such a moronic idea. To say that I'm appauled is a gross understatement.

Tom yum chang - NO THANKS ! :D

Chiang Mai wants to promote itself as a place of culture & history, the tourists will hear about this sick idea and simply stop coming here, once they've stopped throwing-up :D

If the poo-yais don't understand or share international-standards of morality, at least they should hire foreign marketing-experts, who would quickly put them right - and stop this nonsense.

I weep for Thailand - when I read a story like this. :o

According to my understanding, the menu will only be served once (at the Grand Opening).  I think the menu is in poor taste and is giving Thailand a worse name in animal conservation but at least it won't be an ongoing menu.

"CHIANG MAI: -- Visitors offered daily buffet of lion, tiger, elephant and giraffe meat....."

Daily, when I was at shool meant every day, and not once at an opening :o

However, they have really shot themselves in the foot on this one. The international press is up in arms today, and I doubt if you will ever get to see these revolting dishes actually served.

Chiang Mai....will soon be known worldwide as the land of barbarism.

I think that Toxin had better get the wheels in motion and arrange  to back down from these ideas by calling them a misunderstanding....and that infact there will be no animals eaten on the Zoo premises.....but a small restaurant just outside the zoo will serve........

Ok, lets take stock here. (Vegetable of course).

1. How about we take an animals baby, then when its about 8 weeks old, kill it and serve it. We call that LAMB in the west.

2. What about taking another animals baby, packing it into a crate, feeding it sweet things and then ending its miserable life by killing it and eating it. We call that VEAL in the west.

3. Fois Gras anyone? Yup, forcefeed a duck til its liver expands, then kill it and eat it.

4. Oxtail soup anyone?

5. Ever eaten tongue? Used to be very popular in England on a sandwich with a bit of mustard. It is indeed the actual tongue of a dead animal.

6. Horse meat ? France, Germany and Italy is your next holiday destination then.

7. Pigs trotters? Tripe anyone? Pigeon pie ?

The list goes on and on

There are a multitude of meats which we eat but because we come to Thailand and there is different stuff on the menu we think its disgusting. GET REAL !

Have a look at what your own country serves up before coming as a guest to someone elses and complaining. Most of this <deleted> comes from us thinking some animals are cute pettable pets. Other countries see them as food.

<snip> original long post deleted. RDN

I think I will spend my holiday elsewhere.

I cannot support any country where this type of archaic, ignorant,

destructive behaviour is condoned.

The fact that there are no animals left in the jungles is bad enough.

I am ashamed of Thailand and surprised by even the fact that

someone thought it was a good idea.

Horrible press will follow, protests will come, this is just bad.

Lets hope you go back to Canada soon then. Whilst you are there, please visit an abatoir or a slaughter house. Then report back on the conditions you see there whilst eating a hot dog. Or in fact, go to a hot dog factory and see what &lt;deleted&gt; you are eating. We look forwards to hearing from you again once you are in the land of milk and honey, (and slaughterhouses)

<snip> Flame removed. RDN

Edited by RDN

Ok, lets take stock here. (Vegetable of course).

1. How about we take an animals baby, then when its about 8 weeks old, kill it and serve it. We call that LAMB in the west.

2. What about taking another animals baby, packing it into a crate, feeding it sweet things and then ending its miserable life by killing it and eating it. We call that VEAL in the west.

3. Fois Gras anyone? Yup, forcefeed a duck til its liver expands, then kill it and eat it.

4. Oxtail soup anyone?

5. Ever eaten tongue? Used to be very popular in England on a sandwich with a bit of mustard. It is indeed the actual tongue of a dead animal.

6. Horse meat ? France, Germany and Italy is your next holiday destination then.

7. Pigs trotters? Tripe anyone? Pigeon pie ?

The list goes on and on

There are a multitude of meats which we eat but because we come to Thailand and there is different stuff on the menu we think its disgusting. GET REAL !

Have a look at what your own country serves up before coming as a guest to someone elses and complaining. Most of this &lt;deleted&gt; comes from us thinking some animals are cute pettable pets. Other countries see them as food.

The whole point here is NOT that they are going to serve 'exotic' meats but that they are listing ENDANGERED animals on the menu.

I like horse, it's much nicer than beef, dog is ok (although I won't set out to eat it), ostrich is ok too, zebra and giraffe will probably taste just fine (and they are not endangered).

Have a look at what your own country serves up before coming as a guest to someone elses and complaining. Most of this &lt;deleted&gt; comes from us thinking some animals are cute pettable pets. Other countries see them as food.

You sanctimonious a***hole, why don't your read the posts before making stupid posts such as the above.

None of these exotic animals are native to Thailand, if they were we would have the choice to eat them or abstain. I'ts illegal to consume them in their countries of origin, so why should we have to "GET REAL" (a dreadful americanism) and allow the Thais to import them for food?

How on earth can you justify the eating of Tigers? You have a warped myoptic, and somewhat peculiar sense of values.

<snip> original long post deleted. RDN

I think I will spend my holiday elsewhere.

I cannot support any country where this type of archaic, ignorant,

destructive behaviour is condoned.

The fact that there are no animals left in the jungles is bad enough.

I am ashamed of Thailand and surprised by even the fact that

someone thought it was a good idea.

Horrible press will follow, protests will come, this is just bad.

Lets hope you go back to Canada soon then. Whilst you are there, please visit an abatoir or a slaughter house. Then report back on the conditions you see there whilst eating a hot dog. Or in fact, go to a hot dog factory and see what &lt;deleted&gt; you are eating. We look forwards to hearing from you again once you are in the land of milk and honey, (and slaughterhouses)

<snip> Flame removed. RDN

Perhaps you slightly misunderstood the premise of the article or the intentions of the CM Safari buffet as well as the argument and opinion that followed.

There's absoutly nothing wrong with eating meat native to a region and its' culture, no matter how unappealing it may seem to others.

The real issue here is that the Chiang Mai Safari is actively persuing animals to put on their menu in the name of profit. They may or may not be presently an endangered species, but are certainly rare and extraordinary creatures which should not be exploited as part of an idiotic marketing gimmick.

For an establishment such as a zoo or safari to not only condone but activlely promote the import of these animals for a buffet meal is pure madness. It's these same type orginizations that fight for the protection of these animals worldwide so thing like this don't happen. Promoting wild beast banquets only further advances the instability of all rare and indangered animals. This promotion to the people lining up for tiger steaks would doubtfully have second thoughts about the slaughter of animals on the brink of extinction for their dining pleasure. The Safari presents the opportunity for an exciting and glamorous evening thus furthering the belief that eating these type of rare and exotic species is acceptable by those thought to be knowledgable about such things.

Many of these animals are not traditionally eaten either here nor in Africa, if they were the buffet would have gone unnoticed. If not rare and special then how would the safari ever hope to attract visitors to come to see them.

Having approved the idea already, just how much faith can be given that the animals roaming in the safari are well treated and looked after. If they have no qualms putting them on their menu, how can they be trusted to adequatly manage their health and welfare. It is just one of those things that cannot be taken back once having expressed their callous and ignorant attitudes.

Knowing they are willing to profit from dining on these creatures, would it really suprise anyone to find that they are just as negligent toward the smuggling of endangered species in blackmarket for any reason that might give them financial gain? I for one seriously doubt it and will never show my face there to support such pathetic and ignorant means.

Read back through this blog you will see that it's illegal in Kenya to eat even the giraffes, although somehow it has been arranged so that wealthy Thais will get their chance to soon. Sounds like more of the same old corrupt practices driven by greed and lack of concern for everyone and everything else. Truely a disturbing undertaking to say the least.

Edited by RDN

You sanctimonious a***hole, why don't your read the posts before making stupid posts such as the above.

None of these exotic animals are native to Thailand, if they were we would have the choice to eat them or abstain. I'ts illegal to consume them in their countries of origin, so why should we have to "GET REAL" (a dreadful americanism) and allow the Thais to import them for food?

How on earth can you justify the eating of Tigers? You have a warped myoptic, and somewhat peculiar sense of values.

Why sir, I do believe you've made an error. tigers are indeed native to Thailand. So as a factual matter your statement is incorrect in part. I however don't espouse the inane notion of the eating of endangered animals as a source of protien or supposed aphrodisiacic properties of specific body organs.

Thailand Zoo: Admire The Animals, Then You Can Eat Them

In a move that is being criticised by animal rights goups, a zoo in Thailand will mark its official opening with something one wouldn't ordinarily expect from zoo keepers - not only will some invited guests be able to see a wide variety of exotic animals, they'll be able to taste a few of them as well.

Adding new meaning to 'a day at the zoo', the Chiang Mai Night Safari Park in Thailand's Chiang Mai Province government committee chairman Plodprasop Suraswadi said VIP guests who attend the grand opening will first enjoy an escorted tour of the park and offered the opportunity to enjoy the magnificence of lions, tigers and elephants only three of an estimated 2,000 animals of over 100 different species in the zoo.

Following the zoo tour, these same guests will be taken back to their choice of five restaurants operated by the zoo and subsequently will be given the choice of some of the very animals they marvelled during the tour only this time, instead of watching the animals, they get to eat them.

For approxiametly $110 U.S. VIPs will be offered several exotic menu choices ranging from tiger,lion, elephant, giraffe and for an appetizer they may sample such delicacies as crocodile, snake and dog. Desserts include various insects and to wash it all down, they can sip on some mongoose blood (shaken, not stirred).

The Wildlife Fund of Thailand has been highly critical of the zoo's VIP menu fearing the idea of offering exotic animals on a restaurant menu will further encourage the increasing practice of wildlife poaching and trafficking in the regions.

Wildlife Fund spokesperson Suraphol Duangkae said, "Serving rare animals on the table confirms that Thailand is ignoring policies for wildlife preservation. Thailand's image is already bad for trading animals and being a transit and laundering point for smugglers.The zoo will make only the image worse by serving rare animals."

Meanwhile back at the zoo - will that be medium or rare?

--halifaxlive.com

Anger in Kenya over Thai zoo menu

There has been a furious reaction in Kenya to news that a zoo in northern Thailand will offer the meat of African game animals at its restaurant.

The zoo in Chiang Mai is being sent more than 100 wild animals and birds trapped in Kenya - including zebras, flamingoes, hippos and hyenas.

This had already led to protests from animal lovers and others.

The news that the zoo plans to serve lion, buffalo, elephant and giraffe meat has caused further controversy.

Project director Plod Prasop Suraswadi said VIP guests would have the privilege of tasting an exotic menu, including lion meat from Africa.

The Kenya Wildlife Service, which has been involved in the plans to export the animals and birds, had previously said that none of the species being sent to Thailand were endangered.

It has now announced that in the light of the new information, the plans need to be rethought.

The zoo in Chiang Mai is due to open officially on 1 January next year.

Source: Adam Mynott, BBC News, Nairobi

This may very well be a bad move in conservation terms but some people who replied to this post should look at their own dietary issues, as there is little difference in meat from a cow ,a horse ,a dog or an elephant and the best way to keep animals is to use them for a purpose other than just for looking at, that way there is an economic reason to keep them and business will find a way to make them flourish. How many cows or sheep would there be if we didn't eat them.I personally don't eat much meat (personal taste not political outlook)but see the necessity of animals for food and one animal is much like another

Good/unemotional points.

Having traveled and lived internationally for some 50 years, I have eaten most of the animals on this list and they were not considered unusual menu items.

Not sure about the tigers since I have a fondness for pussies but I do not recall seeing zebras or dogs or many other of these animals on any endangered species lists. While we may complain about someone serving horse or snake, is it appropriate to do so as we comfortably munch cow and chicken? Has anyone consulted a chicken?

I have a feeling that when all the hubbub fades, it will turn out that most of these animals are raised domestically. Let's face it, even the very folks you assault for their lack of intelligence cannot be stupid enough to actually be hiring people to go out on the savanna and gun down any endangered species. But you cannot charge 4500b for zebra that you admit was raised in a pen. Raising animals such as these as 'exotic pets' has become very popular and there are certain to be ones that due to cosmetic reasons just do not sell to discerning customers. Hence they become a food source? Certainly they are not fit to survive in the wild...

When I was just a tadpole, my family took me to an very classy restaurant on a very special occasion with lots of family. Being of that age to want to order for myself, I saw Loin Roast on the menu and, having misread, stated loudly, "I'll have that LION Roast!"

In spite of the humiliation of the robust laughter around me (this still happens), I still figger what the hey, meat is meat...

Edited by Dustoff

I'ts illegal to consume them in their countries of origin, so why should we have to "GET REAL" (a dreadful americanism) and allow the Thais to import them for food?

You surely dont think they are REALLY going to serve real tiger and lion meat.

:o

It would be financially and logistically impossible to do that.

I enjoyed the previous post about the zoo not serving animals as food on the premises - so i guess that would mean that the restaurants would all be vegetarian then?!! Or dont fish, crab, shrimp, chicken and pork count as animals.

I say if you are prepared to eat meat then you should be prepared to eat ALL meat and not just the stuff you didnt pet at the zoo when you were a kid.

If it has a face on it - dont eat it. ,