Pick Up Truck, Which Is The Best Out There?

WebBangkok

If you have a go anywhere ride , you must consider others. Its easy to put up a Bow Wave. You can swamp a little Vios who nine times out of ten can do nearly as much as you left alone .All through the Floods ive used the lo ratio once to climb a bank on the Chinat to Supan road when a basic Hi Lux in front did the same climb with a good driver. A Nissan X Trail flew over , having a go with a Wildtrack , all good fun , but so did a Chevy Optra of all things.coffee1.gif.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I normally agree with KBB but if you had been in BKK this last week, on the frontage road's with all the water and slime you might have said thank Buddha for a 4x4 I followed a couple of pick up's and their back end's were slipping all over the place, one just gave up the ghost and went back onto the main road just to sit even longer in traffic. I know this flood situation is not normal but just give the so called better road's around and north of BKK a try now, For the little bit extra be well prepared go the full hog.

Appreciate what you are saying Fred, but many of us are not experiencing the situation in Bangkok, it stopped raining weeks ago in our province & I for one never have to drive down to Bangers, no need what so ever!.

ph34r.gif

I also wish I hadn't had to go to BKK but last week I had no option, and a 4x4 helped out no end, The road's around Ransit (Still under water) were a nightmare. Some under chest high feted green I think they call it water. I don't know if you look at the weather for Thailand but if you had you will find that a great part of the south is now flooded. Road's will be washed away impassable even with a 4x4. But with one you stand a chance of getting out. If you never get out of Pattaya/Phuket/Samui shore you wont ever use it, but I think you should be prepared as is often mentioned on TV TIT.

I normally agree with KBB but if you had been in BKK this last week, on the frontage road's with all the water and slime you might have said thank Buddha for a 4x4 I followed a couple of pick up's and their back end's were slipping all over the place, one just gave up the ghost and went back onto the main road just to sit even longer in traffic. I know this flood situation is not normal but just give the so called better road's around and north of BKK a try now, For the little bit extra be well prepared go the full hog.

Appreciate what you are saying Fred, but many of us are not experiencing the situation in Bangkok, it stopped raining weeks ago in our province & I for one never have to drive down to Bangers, no need what so ever!.

ph34r.gif

I also wish I hadn't had to go to BKK but last week I had no option, and a 4x4 helped out no end, The road's around Ransit (Still under water) were a nightmare. Some under chest high feted green I think they call it water. I don't know if you look at the weather for Thailand but if you had you will find that a great part of the south is now flooded. Road's will be washed away impassable even with a 4x4. But with one you stand a chance of getting out. If you never get out of Pattaya/Phuket/Samui shore you wont ever use it, but I think you should be prepared as is often mentioned on TV TIT.

Yeah the floods have opened huge potholes on main highways - some the size of a small car and about half as deep, Saw a raised 4x4 vigo in my village, maybe 2-3 inches about normal, looked pretty cool. Just last week it was only raised vehicles who could get into my village. A brave taxi tried and get a floor full of fish. Surprisingly he came the next day for the same customer. Now that's loyalty:)

It seems to me the best option is a vehicle that can be changed between 2wd and 4wd, like the pjs or ford ranger. maybe others but I'm not pickup savvy. 2wd for the dry roads and fuel economy and 4wd when things get very wet or offroad.

ph34r.gif

Yeah the floods have opened huge potholes on main highways - some the size of a small car and about half as deep, Saw a raised 4x4 vigo in my village, maybe 2-3 inches about normal, looked pretty cool. Just last week it was only raised vehicles who could get into my village. A brave taxi tried and get a floor full of fish. Surprisingly he came the next day for the same customer. Now that's loyalty:)

It seems to me the best option is a vehicle that can be changed between 2wd and 4wd, like the pjs or ford ranger. maybe others but I'm not pickup savvy. 2wd for the dry roads and fuel economy and 4wd when things get very wet or offroad.

That's what I've been trying to point out the state of the road's now, and it's all over Thailand.

The new Vigo 4x4 auto (Not shore but I think the manual is as well) now full time 4x4, so you don't have the option of 2 wheel. But it's much better to drive than the old type manual, when 4x4 was engaged I found that very heavy on the steering. There is one good thing with the Vigo auto 4x4 you can now have C/Control fitted. Standard on the top of the range. And please some peep's don't tell me C/C is a waist of time here. If you don't live in BKK or the like's you can use it 80%+ on most trip's. And it save's on fuel.

Edited by fredob43

I'm sure they'll be an all new model coming. Because the latest reincarnation looks weird. Seems they've run out of design ideas for grilles.

But as others say, they're all trucks and I don't know why bother. I have a Honda Accord and on the rare occasion I need to move crap around I rent a ute.

does any one have any info on the replacement for the current model hilux? that should be interesting..

The many medium sized Toyota Type vehicles and other makes that carry people in comfort , don't get much mention here for some reason.

Yeah !! but the OP is asking about trucks.

IMO he should just look at them all, drive them all and go with the one he likes, they are trucks but some drive very well close to car comfort, not Rolls Royce, not BMW, not Mercedes, not Range Rovers, and many other multi-million motors just silly to talk about them when someone is asking about a truck.

" happyaussie " maybe you ain't got a big family.:D " cocoy " cool eh !!

post-87530-0-12796800-1322451699_thumb.j

post-87530-0-22722300-1322452011_thumb.j

Edited by Kwasaki

The new Vigo 4x4 auto (Not shore but I think the manual is as well) now full time 4x4, so you don't have the option of 2 wheel. But it's much better to drive than the old type manual, when 4x4 was engaged I found that very heavy on the steering. There is one good thing with the Vigo auto 4x4 you can now have C/Control fitted. Standard on the top of the range. And please some peep's don't tell me C/C is a waist of time here. If you don't live in BKK or the like's you can use it 80%+ on most trip's. And it save's on fuel.

No pickups in TH with full time 4x4 like PJS or tuna, only part time like Vigo to be used on slippery roads only and at moderate speeds, no 160kmh 4x4 on cruise ;)

No pickups in TH with full time 4x4 like PJS or tuna, only part time like Vigo to be used on slippery roads only and at moderate speeds, no 160kmh 4x4 on cruise ;)

But the newish Vigo's do not now use limited slip diff, which l prefer, use fancy brake censors. Imagine if the fancy brake censors went wrong :o.

But the newish Vigo's do not now use limited slip diff, which l prefer, use fancy brake censors. Imagine if the fancy brake censors went wrong :o.

both have advantages and disadvantages

limited slip is bulletproof and provides better traction at low speed, but it also provides a veery wide drift at speed

using brakes as traction control is more efficient, up to 100% lock on one wheel in reality, and has no negative impact on handling, but of course relies on fancy ABS electronics functioning

for heavy duty off road both are useless, air operated 100% diff lock is the thing. all 4 wheels locked, and you need to get afloat to stop

had it on my 1984,86 and 88 benz 280GE (gelendewagen). pulled 2-3 ton trailers through deeep snow

Are you sure that the top Vigo 4x4 auto C/C is not full time 4x4???

Top-spec vigo is not full-time 4x4 like the Fortuner - it's a standard 2H/4H/4L switcher.

Top-spec vigo is not full-time 4x4 like the Fortuner - it's a standard 2H/4H/4L switcher.

Thank's for that it's just that I was told by Toyota that you can only have C/C on there full time 4x4 set up. W/nker's. But what do Toyota (the garage that is) know.

]Thank's for that it's just that I was told by Toyota that you can only have C/C on there full time 4x4 set up. W/nker's. But what do Toyota (the garage that is) know.

There's a few quality aftermarket options for adding cruise to Vigo's, using OEM parts/stalks for proper fit and feel too, let me know if you need a phone number..Cost is only a few thousand Baht fitted if memory serves me correct.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

You want to know which one is the best and strongest truck?

Take a look here http://www.youtube.c...p?v=zbfZxvsDp3c

Hint : It isn't a toyota.

LOL, you realize that was a TV ad campaign yes? i.e. not real :)

No no,there were many witnesses,it must have happened :ph34r:

5555 :D

if you didn't catch the "Fictionalization. Do not attempt" in the bottom-right of the screen at the beginning, surely the magicly appearing front 3/4 cam as the plane comes down, the poorly scripted driver with his "pro 4x package", or the arriving passengers sitting in the departure lounge gave a clue? ;)

Hehehe

You want to know which one is the best and strongest truck?

Take a look here http://www.youtube.c...p?v=zbfZxvsDp3c

Hint : It isn't a toyota.

LOL, you realize that was a TV ad campaign yes? i.e. not real :)

No no,there were many witnesses,it must have happened :ph34r:

5555 :D

if you didn't catch the "Fictionalization. Do not attempt" in the bottom-right of the screen at the beginning, surely the magicly appearing front 3/4 cam as the plane comes down, the poorly scripted driver with his "pro 4x package", or the arriving passengers sitting in the departure lounge gave a clue? ;)

Hehehe

Well,the warning is given with reason since many people may think their truck is as strong as a Navara.;)

The arriving passengers were actually departing passengers,according to the reporter in the clip,and things like a magicly appearing cam just happen otherwise there wouldn't be programs like " bloopers ".

So here we come to the point,of course I know it was a commercial,but if they had used a Vigo for it than for sure it would have qualified as a blooper :lol:

Come on KBB,go for it.:D

Edited by janverbeem

]Thank's for that it's just that I was told by Toyota that you can only have C/C on there full time 4x4 set up. W/nker's. But what do Toyota (the garage that is) know.

There's a few quality aftermarket options for adding cruise to Vigo's, using OEM parts/stalks for proper fit and feel too, let me know if you need a phone number..Cost is only a few thousand Baht fitted if memory serves me correct.

Many thank's but I've got it on my Fortuner I asked them for a friend of mine who has a Vigo. Again w/nker's should have asked on TV the first time.

oh yes, we bought 3 of them, one for myselfpost-81971-0-58067200-1322529291_thumb.j

Come on KBB,go for it.:D

cool commercial,:) navara sold as suzuki also in the us, different grill

fact is when navara entered TH market with proper brakes needing 16inchers to house them , toyota finally upgraded to same level. navara is larger than vigo, so how the f-ck they have managed such limited rearseatspace and doorangles in the 4 door is hard to get

sad fact is also navaras terrible crash safety

sweet is their v6 diesel,:P not available here

On You Tube a Navara drove under the front of a Jet , the nose wheels landed in the back of the truck and the driver prevented a crash landing. Not bad advert for a Nissan id say.coffee1.gif

its almot a copy of old ads

volvo 700 sedan carrying a bulldozer or someting on its roof

and bayliner, 5 ton boat hanging in its own anchoring gear

and recent skoda yeti having a helicopter landing on its roof rack

Well,the warning is given with reason since many people may think their truck is as strong as a Navara.;)

The arriving passengers were actually departing passengers,according to the reporter in the clip,and things like a magicly appearing cam just happen otherwise there wouldn't be programs like " bloopers ".

LOL! :D touche! :cheesy:

But you missed the point of the "arriving passengers in the departure lounge" - in that I was referring to the two ladies recounting their experience on the plane, but sitting down in the same departre lounge as everyone that "watched" the plane arrive ;)

its almot a copy of old ads

volvo 700 sedan carrying a bulldozer or someting on its roof

and bayliner, 5 ton boat hanging in its own anchoring gear

and recent skoda yeti having a helicopter landing on its roof rack

Bah, they didn't pull any punches when I was a kid:

555 :D

Fickle women. I was interested in a new Isuzu 4X4 and was planning to trade in my wife's Ford Focus Ghia. When I told the dealer what I had to trade in, my wife looked at me like I was crazy. She told the dealer that the trade in would be my beloved 2004 Nissan Frontier. That Nissan is going nowhere except home and apparently the Focus is staying home. I guess that the best part is that I have saved a considerable amount of money.