Suvarnabhumi Airport Director: Floods Scare Off Foreign Tourists

webfact

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Average 100,000 passenger per day???

That is 36.5 million/year, but assuming he is both counting arriving and departuring passenger, it is really 18 million visitors/years.

Still far more than TAT 15 million and that include CM, Phuket and border crossings. What is not adding up?

Thai Travellers ?

When I look back at when I was just a tourist considering my first visit to Thailand, I realize that your average first time or even repeat tourist probably doesn't care much about any of the local problems (cultural or otherwise).

I came here, and before I could even leave the airport, I was scammed by the approximate 100 USD BMW 7-series 'taxi'. You know, I should have been more cautious, but it didn't matter to me because I had money and it was 'part of the experience' of going to a third world country.

Now that I live here, I hate this aspect of the culture, but I doubt average tourists will be affected by this unless their safety is threatened in large enough numbers and, most importantly, unless major traditional and new media outlets report on it.

I mean, people from the US STILL goto Mexican resorts in fairly high numbers even with their civil drug war affecting much of that nation.

So, sadly, Thailand will probably not change much because the equation is not much affected by the many unscrupulous people here who prey on foreign tourists ...

A friend in the U.K. who is due to visit Thailand in early December sent me the following;

THAI flight cancellation

Thai Airways International regrets to announce that due to the current flood crisis in Thailand, the following flights will be cancelled.

TG916 (departing Bangkok at 1330 to London at 1935) and TG917 (departing London at 2135 to Bangkok at 1555 of the following day) on 15, 22, 23, 24, 29 and 30 November 2011.

We would like to apologize for any inconvenience caused. If you need any further assistance concerning a cancellation, refund or re-booking of your reservation regarding these flights, please do not hesitate to contact your travel agent or our Reservations Office on 0844 561 0911.

For your information, Suvarnabhumi Airport is still operating as normal.

* This announcement is made on 10 November 2011.

Obviously asanee (above) believes their bilge:

"you are reinforcing my opinion that expats seem unable to think logically. THAI also travel-even by plane. And Swampy is both international and domestic. And is in fact quite a big transit-port too-these pax also count as ARR + DEP. Sometimes I really wonder why I have to respond this way in explanation............. Or only used to Bahrain, with no domestic?

Like PT Barnum said,"there's a sucker born every minute".

Mr. Somchai obviously received the fax from the AOT, that requested that he quote arrivals at 100,000 per day, and 800 flights. Well, I have been through Suvarnabhumi lately, and it was a ghost town. Even the immigration clerk remarked that they had nothing to do. These blatant lies are one of the reasons Thailand is going backwards. The flooding is the least of their problems. The lack of transparency, and these continued fabrications, is one reason why Thailand is ranked 152, out of 178 countries, in the journalists without borders survey. They are ranked below Yemen, and Kazakhstan, when it comes to press freedom. So, of course these kinds of problems persist. There is no accountability within Thailand. Do or say anything, to accomplish an objective, is the government mantra. Unfortunately, those of us with eyes and ears know better. Do not believe the nonsense. It is only that.

i will travel to Thailand in a couple of weeks, I´ve been going down almost every winter and this will not stop me. I do not like Bangkok anyway, and I do not worry.:jap:

Why wold anyone ever travel to Thailand

The next disaster is always right around the corner

The "civil drug war" IS NOT affecting much of the nation.Only selected border states and a few interior states.I have lived in 3 places in Mexico the past 5 years and most recently in Cabo until Jul 1.The vast majority of Mexico is safe from waht you referred to.

I do agree with you about not liking that aspect of Thai culture though.

When I look back at when I was just a tourist considering my first visit to Thailand, I realize that your average first time or even repeat tourist probably doesn't care much about any of the local problems (cultural or otherwise).

I came here, and before I could even leave the airport, I was scammed by the approximate 100 USD BMW 7-series 'taxi'. You know, I should have been more cautious, but it didn't matter to me because I had money and it was 'part of the experience' of going to a third world country.

Now that I live here, I hate this aspect of the culture, but I doubt average tourists will be affected by this unless their safety is threatened in large enough numbers and, most importantly, unless major traditional and new media outlets report on it.

I mean, people from the US STILL goto Mexican resorts in fairly high numbers even with their civil drug war affecting much of that nation.

So, sadly, Thailand will probably not change much because the equation is not much affected by the many unscrupulous people here who prey on foreign tourists ...

<br />When I look back at when I was just a tourist considering my first visit to Thailand, I realize that your average first time or even repeat tourist probably doesn't care much about any of the local problems (cultural or otherwise).<br /><br />I came here, and before I could even leave the airport, I was scammed by the approximate 100 USD BMW 7-series 'taxi'.  You know, I should have been more cautious, but it didn't matter to me because I had money and it was 'part of the experience' of going to a third world country.<br /><br />Now that I live here, I hate this aspect of the culture, but I doubt average tourists will be affected by this unless their safety is threatened in large enough numbers and, most importantly, unless major traditional and new media outlets report on it.<br /><br />I mean, people from the US STILL goto Mexican resorts in fairly high numbers even with their civil drug war affecting much of that nation.<br /><br />So, sadly, Thailand will probably not change much because the equation is not much affected by the many unscrupulous people here who prey on foreign tourists ...<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Agreed.

Experienced travelers will be aware of the scams. They know any time they travel into a developing country such as Thailand Cambodia and the list goes on that there will be scams. It is only the expats in Thailand who have never traveled that think the whole world is looking down on the scams in Thailand and the other countries that attract tourists are scam free.

Mr. Somchai obviously received the fax from the AOT, that requested that he quote arrivals at 100,000 per day, and 800 flights. Well, I have been through Suvarnabhumi lately, and it was a ghost town. Even the immigration clerk remarked that they had nothing to do. These blatant lies are one of the reasons Thailand is going backwards. The flooding is the least of their problems. The lack of transparency, and these continued fabrications, is one reason why Thailand is ranked 152, out of 178 countries, in the journalists without borders survey. They are ranked below Yemen, and Kazakhstan, when it comes to press freedom.

How many tourists do The Yemen and Kazakhstan get in the high season?

At the end of the day it is not the worry of the airport is flooded or not, but what are you to do when you get here?? This with the worry of getting ripped off even more that before. It used to be only the Falang got scammed, but since the flood even the locals are fair play for the over pricing and scams. (B500 for a 2 or 300 meter trip in a row boat :whistling: ) Plus the worry of disease from the polluted water. I am leaving today and not coming back until it is relativity safe.

As long as you stay out of the flooded areas , it is 100% safe as usual. Thailand has many touist spots, why not try somewhere you have never been to before???

That is 36.5 million/year, but assuming he is both counting arriving and departuring passenger, it is really 18 million visitors/years.

Still far more than TAT 15 million and that include CM, Phuket and border crossings. What is not adding up?

He's counting domestic flights, as well as international, I suspect.

I live here too and, although the Thai mentality is frustrating and annoying, Thailand is still a relatively ideal vacation spot. If the worst that happens to you is you pay $100 for a taxi ride in a BMW 7-series, then things aren't so bad. (May not have even been a ripoff. How far was the ride? Bear in mind, that car probably costs $100k+ in Thailand, gotta recoup serious capital cost). I've lived in Thailand for roughly 3 years, and never been ripped off a single time - it is surpising, actually, but Thais rarely 'double price'. Yes, there are exceptions - the jetskis are a major 'avoid'.

Like you say, consider Mexico, where the worst that happens to you is that you end up riddled with bullets, caught in the crossfire of a devastating drug war. The first time that I went to Mexico (for a whopping 3 days) I was robbed - by the police - long story, but, either I hand over all my cash, or be hauled to jail for cocaine posession - cocaine which I didn't posess, the police did.....

That said, Mexican tourism IS suffering. Check out Rocky Point - once a major destination for weekend travellers from Phoenix area. Now dead. Completely. (although new passport requirement, and collapsed Phoenix economy, are equally strong contributors).

That is 36.5 million/year, but assuming he is both counting arriving and departuring passenger, it is really 18 million visito rs/years.

It's worse than your think. Numbers in a minute, but why would an airport be getting involved in TAT responsibilities? Unbelievable. And why would TAT and the PM not call out the AOT for over-stepping their bounds and for using such suspect numbers? How can a transportation infrastructure bureaucracy be taken seriously when they make completely unfounded statements like the flooding has caused a drop in inbound arrivals? It's pure conjecture. Where is the evidence? It could have something to do with tourists being shot in the back with a bow and arrow and being ruled suicides, Phuket anti-tourist violence, a string of hotel deaths ruled coincidental in Chiang Mai, political instability raising red shirt havoc in the streets and yellow shirt anarchists commandeering Suvarnabhumi, all on the back of a coup. 800 flights, the lower number, is 33 flights per hour for 24 hours. Anybody that spends time or lives near Suvarnabhumi can tell you that there are periods of time when there no flights at all. Could be an hour or more sometimes. Go over to Green Valley Golf Club and count the flights. 33 per hour is one every 1.8 minutes divided by 2 runways means there would be a flight landing every 3.6 minutes on each runway around the clock to equal 800 flights per day. The minimum spacing is 5 miles between aircraft and they land on average at about 170mph. 800 flights landing per day would be about 50% of the total capacity of the airport. You can be assured that there are times at night when 30 minutes or more will pass without a single flight arrival. But forget reality for a moment and take the AOT claim of 800, down from 900 flights per day. If you figure an average of only 150 people per inbound flight, and not all flights landing at Suvarnabhumi are carrying international tourists, then multiply by 800 flights per day you get 120,000 per day supposedly arriving. Multiply that out by 365 days per year and you have 43,800,000 people landing at Suvarnabhumi per year. This would indicate that 66% of inbound arrivals are not tourists if they expect 15 million in round numbers. These numbers make durian smell good.

Edited by arrowsdawdle

I live here too and, although the Thai mentality is frustrating and annoying, Thailand is still a relatively ideal vacation spot. If the worst that happens to you is you pay $100 for a taxi ride in a BMW 7-series, then things aren't so bad. (May not have even been a ripoff. How far was the ride? Bear in mind, that car probably costs $100k+ in Thailand, gotta recoup serious capital cost). I've lived in Thailand for roughly 3 years, and never been ripped off a single time - it is surpising, actually, but Thais rarely 'double price'. Yes, there are exceptions - the jetskis are a major 'avoid'.

Like you say, consider Mexico, where the worst that happens to you is that you end up riddled with bullets, caught in the crossfire of a devastating drug war. The first time that I went to Mexico (for a whopping 3 days) I was robbed - by the police - long story, but, either I hand over all my cash, or be hauled to jail for cocaine posession - cocaine which I didn't posess, the police did.....

That said, Mexican tourism IS suffering. Check out Rocky Point - once a major destination for weekend travellers from Phoenix area. Now dead. Completely. (although new passport requirement, and collapsed Phoenix economy, are equally strong contributors).

$100,000+ for a 7 series beemer? Guy I know paid 15 million baht for his M6, which at the time was $469,000.

$100,000+ for a 7 series beemer? Guy I know paid 15 million baht for his M6, which at the time was $469,000.

Which would make a $100 ride in sed car a rather good deal....

The majority of posters on this thread would frighten off any number of tourist. I have been in Thailand over two weeks now and the only flooding I have seen is the inland ocean at 30,000ft on my way to Chiang mai. Really a few of you should give it a rest, most tourist who come to Thailand will never see any flooding unless they intentionally go looking for it.

I agree that it's still an OK country -- esp if you can accept the things that are different that none of us can really hope to change.

The ride was from Suvarnabhumi to Sukhumvit Soi 40 or so. It wasn't a straight rip off, but it was certainly misleading, in my opinion because they seemed to be associated with the airport and approached passengers (like me) in an official manner, but I haven't seen them at all on later trips through the airport, so I suspect they were potentially not legit. Anyway, I've been hit by little things here and there (nothing major) like the scam where someone hands you something like corn to feed birds in the park, and then after you accept it (thinking they are just being nice) quote you a price to pay. That is not really harmful. People try, of course, pretty often to get me -- from the jewel scam to the Indian suits scam, but now I'm always on my Ps and Qs.

For all the things I really don't agree with about the tourism industry here in Thailand, one thing I do like is that I rarely feel worried for my personal safety. That can't be said for a good number of countries from Russia to Brazil.

The majority of posters on this thread would frighten off any number of tourist. I have been in Thailand over two weeks now and the only flooding I have seen is the inland ocean at 30,000ft on my way to Chiang mai. Really a few of you should give it a rest, most tourist who come to Thailand will never see any flooding unless they intentionally go looking for it.

No way!They are paid for posting!

They are in fact very lucky that the "traditional lures" of Thailand are still irresistible and some are still coming. Hats off to the girls. The real backbone of the Thai economy. The inconsistencies in the article, as usual, are very striking. And just think, what should he be doing? He should be working on steps that assure potential visitors that he is keeping the airport secure, safe, reliable, clean, efficient, and on time. Not like the 2008 Nov/Dec closing for almost two weeks when it was commandeered by a political demonstration group that closed it while the government, army, and the airport director were powerless to secure this airport. But instead, he crosses over and speaks to the press about "tourism" figures instead of airport security. Perfect example of the way THais work and think . - Do someone else's job perfectly instead of doing my own job imperfectly." -

They are in fact very lucky that the "traditional lures" of Thailand are still irresistible and some are still coming. Hats off to the girls. The real backbone of the Thai economy. The inconsistencies in the article, as usual, are very striking. And just think, what should he be doing? He should be working on steps that assure potential visitors that he is keeping the airport secure, safe, reliable, clean, efficient, and on time. Not like the 2008 Nov/Dec closing for almost two weeks when it was commandeered by a political demonstration group that closed it while the government, army, and the airport director were powerless to secure this airport. But instead, he crosses over and speaks to the press about "tourism" figures instead of airport security. Perfect example of the way THais work and think . - Do someone else's job perfectly instead of doing my own job imperfectly." -

Does Anyone know if Hotel rates are affected? I plan on returning to Phuket in a few weeks. Would be nice to get off season rates due to poor numbers...

Does Anyone know if Hotel rates are affected? I plan on returning to Phuket in a few weeks. Would be nice to get off season rates due to poor numbers...

According to a few friends, Phuket is overbooked, very crowded, and gouging like nobody's business - service level down, prices way up.

i went thru the airport yesterday at 4pm on my way to bkk from pattaya. it was very quiet, nobody queuing at immigration. a welcome & needed change.

pattaya seemed quieter than normal, esp considering its high season now.

It is NOT high season in Pattaya and I even doubt very strongly if there will be a high season.