Thai Airways Cancels More Than 500 Flights In Flood Aftermath

george

FLOOD AFTERMATH

Thai Airways cancels more than 500 flights

BANGKOK: -- Thai Airways International. Ltd. (PLC), THAI, have cancelled more than 500 flights on various international and domestic routes due to in and outbound tourists are changing their holiday plans in aftermath of the flooding in Thailand, according to the newspaper Krungthep Turakij.

The airline will also use smaller aircrafts on some routes because of lesser demand, and will consider the situation from day to day. Thai Airways hopes that the passenger traffic will pick up again in December which normally are the high season.

-- Translated from: bangkokbiznews.com 2011-11-18

tvn.png

-- 2011-11-18

http://www.bangkokbiznews.com/home/detail/business/business/20111118/420071/พิษน้ำท่วมทีจียกเลิก500ไฟลท์.html

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai Airways Reduces Flight Planes due to Drop in Passengers

The Thai Airways International Public Company reduced the number of airplane flights after the passengers cancelled their travels during flooding.

Thai Airways International Public Company cut more than 500 domestic and international flights due to a dramatic drop in passengers who remain uncertain about the flood crisis.

In addition to flight reduction, Thai Airways will downsize its airplane in correlation with the numbers of passengers in each flight.

The company will assess the situation on a daily basis.

The company will make sure that any changes made has minimal affect on passengers and hopes the situation would return to normal in December.

The flood crisis will have an extensive impact on the company's income this year, pointing out that the company normally earns a large amount of profit during the high season period.

Thai Airways has already lost around 4.8 billion baht in the first nine months due to money exchange rate fluctuations and an increase of fuel prices.

Airport of Thailand Public Company or AOT Manging Director, Anirut Thanomkulabutra said that six international airports nationwide experienced a 9 percent drop in passenger numbers when compared to last October.

As for the Suvarnabhumi Airport, the number of passengers went down from 130,000 to 100,000, while the numbers of flight reduced by 100 from 900 to 800.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-11-18

footer_n.gif

Good job the domestic from D Muang are going in, the numbers are including these.

money exchange rate=up to the government to change things there.

fuel prices are not increasing that much in fact they have dropped from 150 D a barrel to around 100. this is always a sick dog excuse.

Why are your domestic flights so high for return tickets ??? and your International ??? if posters check back they are higher now than when fuel prices were at a premium. Sorry you do not use riots and floods to convince me.

When are your new aircraft arriving ????.................looks like a good oportunity to scrap your old Jumbo's for a start, and get competitive, do not increase ticket prices as Thais always do when business is down =you lower them to attract customers, and keep staff employed and your reputation intact--ex passenger-member.:bah:

High season is toast yet again.

Huge losses in the tourist sector of course.

The toursim minister seems to reach a new low in the clueless abyss.

Thaksin, his acolytes or enemies have managed to subtract and squander and amazing amount of gross national income in just a few short years fighting over, or working at, his manipulations to re-grab power.

And before anyone starts saying what does this seasons loses have to do with Thaksin; His handpicked crew is running the show, and one of his coalition partners has admitted telling them in August not to release water from the dams.

Which has resulted in :

way too much being released in far to short a time...

Resulting in these floods.

And the inability of the government to control the situation.

The Agri minister was in the job before, but no horrendous floods,

then the new bosses come into power, he didn't just decide this without prompting from above. Who hand picked who is running the show?

That Kuhn T. of course.

The 'man of the people' has put more 'people' out of work than any 5

national leaders in Thailands history. And the repercussions are being felt world wide in a dozen industries.

Edited by animatic

Thaksin, his acolytes or enemies have managed to subtract and squander and amazing amount of gross national income in just a few short years fighting over, or working at, his manipulations to re-grab power.

And before anyone starts saying what does this seasons loses have to do with Thaksin; His handpicked crew is running the show, and one of his coalition partners has admitted telling them in August not to release water from the dams.

Which has resulted in :

way too much being released in far to short a time..

resulting in these floods.

then the new bosses come into power, he didn't just decide this without prompting from above. Who hand picked who is running the show?

That Kuhn T. of course.

national leaders in Thailands history. And the repercussions are being felt world wide in a dozen industries.

Well said Ani

Now wait patiently for the the "yeah but xxxx was bad too" from some who crank that out to defend the indefensible, time and time again.

And making a announcement from an airline into another political thread shambles.

Would like to hear the tourism minister again.

The floods will not have an influence on tourism.

Yeah right.

They still can not admit that they did many things wrong in the past 1-2-3..... years (and still do) and that that's the reason that people stay away from TH. Also other negative things like arrogant taxi drivers, jetski's... in cooperation with the corrupt BIB's will not bring back the tourists who came here before one time....

i have to admit that the pics of the floods which can be seen all over the world do not advance tourist to come here, but believe me, this is NOT the main reason!!! They must keep their hand above their head and look WHO is under it.... :whistling:

Yeah right.

Saturday afternoon one week ago there was but a trickle of international passengers exiting. Typically there are numerous passengers. My estimate would be about 10% of typical volume.

Yeah right.

whistling.gif

As if it is not bad enough... just wait till the new yellow shirt protests start back up again after the news came out about PT trying to push through pardon for Thaksin...

I heard that the first protest has already been scheduled for Lumpini park shortly...

Once this hits the international press, it is likely to result in even more cancelations

Edited by CWMcMurray

I've always like the Three Ds...

• Devastation
  • Devaluation
  • Demostration

Once a place has one or more of these going for it, then it's time good time to VISIT, when tourism is down, things are cheaper, not so many other tourists around...

MAKES for a GREAT time of a HOLIDAY THERE in my book!

Which has resulted in :

That Kuhn T. of course.

You nailed it,mate ! !

What I am having problems with is: if you can figure this out and if I can figure this out, then <deleted> and WTH (Why The Hell) can the people of Thailand not figure this out ? ? ? ? ?

Such a sad state of affairs (literary !)

JGK/Jomtien

Edited by jaapfries

Which has resulted in :

That Kuhn T. of course.

You nailed it,mate ! !

What I am having problems with is: if you can figure this out and if I can figure this out, then <deleted> and WTH (Why The Hell) can the people of Thailand not figure this out ? ? ? ? ?

Such a sad state of affairs (literary !)

JGK/Jomtien

Ahhhhhhh

You can figure it out!

And you blame me that I can figure it out!

But, dear Sir, we are farang.

Only Thai know everything, and if they do not have a clue, farang can not have.

Pattaya is very quiet right now, seems like the Bangkok crowd have mostly gone home. Walking street looks like it did when the airport was closed a couple of years ago.

Had a good look round last night, the only bar that had a good crowd was The Blues Factory, the rest were dead, I have never seen the go-go's so empty at this time of year.

• Devastation
  • Devaluation
  • Demostration

Once a place has one or more of these going for it, then it's time good time to VISIT, when tourism is down, things are cheaper, not so many other tourists around...

Then it's good time to visit, things are cheaper??

In Thailand it usually has the opppsite affect. Everything goes up, especially for tourists. :whistling:

jb1

• Devastation
  • Devaluation
  • Demostration

You're crazy :clap2:

Yeah right.

They still can not admit that they did many things wrong in the past 1-2-3..... years (and still do) and that that's the reason that people stay away from TH. Also other negative things like arrogant taxi drivers, jetski's... in cooperation with the corrupt BIB's will not bring back the tourists who came here before one time....

i have to admit that the pics of the floods which can be seen all over the world do not advance tourist to come here, but believe me, this is NOT the main reason!!! They must keep their hand above their head and look WHO is under it.... :whistling:

No probs. Thailand is the world, right? Thais do not need westernes so why should they bother about a few tourists more or less?

My flight to Tokyo was cancelled too. This whole situation is very frustrating. Year after year, something will happen to Thailand that brings down the economy.

How did you find out. Just looked on the Thai website but no news. Due to fly out to aus next weekend.

Pattaya is very quiet right now, seems like the Bangkok crowd have mostly gone home. Walking street looks like it did when the airport was closed a couple of years ago.

Had a good look round last night, the only bar that had a good crowd was The Blues Factory, the rest were dead, I have never seen the go-go's so empty at this time of year.

if that's true, it'll be sad. I'm going there this weekend for the first time in the last few years.

Which has resulted in :

That Kuhn T. of course.

+1 again ...

Yeah right.

Just wait for his next media release, tourism at an all time high due to overseas visitors flocking by land and sea. Just because no one is flying in, it doesn't mean he fudging the books.:)

if that's true, it'll be sad. I'm going there this weekend for the first time in the last few years.

Sorry, it was not meant to be scare mongering, its still vibrant, and probably you will be better off, less traffic. I really meant its quiet for high season

Yeah right.

whistling.gif

As if it is not bad enough... just wait till the new yellow shirt protests start back up again after the news came out about PT trying to push through pardon for Thaksin...

I heard that the first protest has already been scheduled for Lumpini park shortly...

Once this hits the international press, it is likely to result in even more cancelations

On Monday to be exact - and this time no "lellow shirts" but the "multi-colored league" will be out, who said "thai people aren't inventive"?... :rolleyes:

well and then the country will get a "super-express-highway-flood-channel" system, the BOT will borrow money for various other "flood prevention" projects and Thailand will see itself roaring in a new flood of money, concrete, jobs, a roaring economy, just wait till the grand master is back and takes over the stage, nothing one's seen yet!

• Devastation
  • Devaluation
  • Demostration

Then it's good time to visit, things are cheaper??

In Thailand it usually has the opppsite affect. Everything goes up, especially for tourists. :whistling:

jb1

Yep your quite correct. Thai economics 101, if people aren't buying your goods and services jack up the prices then they will buy.

When times are bad The Blues always survives.

Yeah right.

whistling.gif

Yep then everyone can blame the redshirts for the yellowshirt protest.:D