Will I Have Problems With The Police, Driving A New Bike Without License Plates ?

North

Hi,

I plan to buy a Honda CBR250, but the dealer told me, that I might have to wait up to 45 days to get the license plate.

After buying the bike, I was thinking of having a trip to Jomtien, will that get me into trouble with the police, driving far from home without license plate ?

Your thoughts appreciated.

Edited by North

Driving without at least a red plate will probably be ok in your own province, provided you keep all the sales paperwork with you. However, if you get stopped in another province, the fine range is 200 to 2,000 baht (not tea money, the actual fine). Plus, you don't want to be caught after dark. Another fine.

I'd ask the dealer where the red plate is...they should be in supply. 45 days for a white plate isn't unusual, though technically you're supposed to have it within 30 days or 3,000 kms.

Enjoy the new bike! But hold off on the long trips for a bit.

Usually the dealer will put on a red plate & give you the bill of sale(which you make copies of & carry it somewhere in the bike for proof of ownership & then you get the white plate along with your registration papers. At least the 4 new bikes I bought in Pattaya were like that every time. up to 3 months for the actual green book. I would be surprised if they didn't have the red plates required for the new bike. Have fun riding!!!!!

Driving without at least a red plate will probably be ok in your own province, provided you keep all the sales paperwork with you. However, if you get stopped in another province, the fine range is 200 to 2,000 baht (not tea money, the actual fine). Plus, you don't want to be caught after dark. Another fine.

I'd ask the dealer where the red plate is...they should be in supply. 45 days for a white plate isn't unusual, though technically you're supposed to have it within 30 days or 3,000 kms.

How do you know this? Is that a rumor?

I simply assumed everything would be OK if I just took all the paperwork from the dealer with me. I wasn't warned about going out of the province, or at night. The two or so times I was stopped - one time by police, another by some sort of excise tax undercover cop - everything worked out just fine. Showed the papers and had no hassle, all smiles.

Want to get the white plates and registration book very fast?

Ask the seller for a copy of his invoice from the factory.

Present this in the land transport office together with your passport, extension of stay, driving license and your invoice from the seller.

All will be ready same day.........

The copy of the bill from the factory he has to give anyway if you will register your bike anywhere else in the country.

Bought myself a motorbike in Pattaya, went to Khon Kaen Land Transport Office, like I sid ready in 4 hours.

And much more cheaper as the quoted costs in Chonburi LTO

Edited by hansnl

I simply assumed everything would be OK if I just took all the paperwork from the dealer with me. I wasn't warned about going out of the province, or at night. The two or so times I was stopped - one time by police, another by some sort of excise tax undercover cop - everything worked out just fine. Showed the papers and had no hassle, all smiles.

Nope. We got pinged at a legitimate road stop for no plates out of province. My wife went to the booth to argue the point (she hates paying money) and called her cousin who's a cop. He confirmed it...then they all had a good laugh, and they charged her the minimum 200 baht fine. I kept my mouth shut the whole time whistling.gif

Nope. We got pinged at a legitimate road stop for no plates out of province. My wife went to the booth to argue the point (she hates paying money) and called her cousin who's a cop. He confirmed it...then they all had a good laugh, and they charged her the minimum 200 baht fine. I kept my mouth shut the whole time whistling.gif

Thanks for clearing that up!

There are no red plates for bikes in Chiang Mai, either...

I'm with Nikster on this. I got stopped 3 or 4 times on the way to Chiang Mai with a new bike and no plates out of province. Never had any problems. I got stopped in Chiang Mai when they were having a crack-down on unregistered bikes, 3 or 4 years ago? I showed them all the paperwork, they checked everything, frame and engine numbers etc.

Platelaw states every vehicle on public road must have plate, temp or permanent

temp, redplate can be used for up to 30 days/3.000km.

fake or covered or modified plates are punished with up to 5 years in jail

bkk, CM and a few more provinces do not enforce this on bikes for use within province of sale, dealers say they dont get enough redplates from DLT

Present this in the land transport office together with your passport, extension of stay, driving license and your invoice from the seller.

The copy of the bill from the factory he has to give anyway if you will register your bike anywhere else in the country.

Bought myself a motorbike in Pattaya, went to Khon Kaen Land Transport Office, like I sid ready in 4 hours.

yep, with all docs in hand including invoice from dealers supplier (HondaAP in this case), registartion, book and plate done in an hour at DLT, and you might be able to pick your lucky plate number, and you save on dealers reg fee

the reason for 30-90 days is cause dealer doesnt tell supplier bike has been sold, so it remains on interest free credit in dealers showroom

I bought my CBR just before xmas last year. There were loads of check-points set up over xmas and New Years checking for drugs etc. I was stopped routinely as was everybody else (heavy check points, no chance to just blast through them). Showed them my Thai driver's license and they looked at the bike with admiration, not one mentioned the lack of plate in 5-6 different police check points, and there was never any money asked for.

That was central BKK.

I find that if you're calm and polite, have your Thai DL and be respectful, they'll be the same and wave you off as they tear the local's bikes apart.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it. I didn't (over the busiest part of the police's year when they're out in force) and nothing was ever said.

It really depends on the officer at the time.

I have ridden all over Thailand on my brand new motorcycle without plates. Dealer gave me a letter to show the Royal Thai Police that I am indeed legit and registered.

Several officers at different times around Thailand have stopped me and read the letter. Blessed me & my bike and to enjoy my journey.

Arriving back in Bangkok, got stopped by a Police Officer on Thonglor. He wanted money, I disagreed. Explaining my document and many other police officers found it satisfactory.

End result, I got a ticket for no license plates.:angry:

Platelaw states every vehicle on public road must have plate, temp or permanent

temp, redplate can be used for up to 30 days/3.000km.

fake or covered or modified plates are punished with up to 5 years in jail

bkk, CM and a few more provinces do not enforce this on bikes for use within province of sale, dealers say they dont get enough redplates from DLT

Thanks for the info. This sounds logical to me. Sure, there are many friendly cops tolerating many things and there are some bad cops. Same as everywhere in the world. But of course there are laws and one law will be that every bike needs a plate all the time it is used on public roads. All bikes without plates are only tolerated.

There are no red plates for motorcycles in Bangkok. Period.

yep, with all docs in hand including invoice from dealers supplier (HondaAP in this case), registartion, book and plate done in an hour at DLT, and you might be able to pick your lucky plate number, and you save on dealers reg fee

the reason for 30-90 days is cause dealer doesnt tell supplier bike has been sold, so it remains on interest free credit in dealers showroom

Thank you for all answers, very helpful indeed.

I forgot to mention, that I am in Khon Kaen, and I am thinking of relocating to Jomtien or Rayong after buying the bike.

So, unless I can do the same as hansnl described in his post above, it might not be a good idea to relocate, until after I get the white plate.

I asked the shop today for a red plate, but they don't have one.

About the price of the new bike:

They have the CBR250 with ABS, and they want 120.000 Baht inclusive insurance (third class, I think) and the cost of registering and getting the green book.

And I have a Honda Wave 125 I PGM-FI electric start, 4 years old, only 4,600 km, like new, - always parked under roof and covered, no damages, they offered me 27,000 Baht for it, is that a fair price or too low ?

Best regards.

About the price of the new bike:

They have the CBR250 with ABS, and they want 120.000 Baht inclusive insurance (third class, I think) and the cost of registering and getting the green book.

And I have a Honda Wave 125 I PGM-FI electric start, 4 years old, only 4,600 km, like new, - always parked under roof and covered, no damages, they offered me 27,000 Baht for it, is that a fair price or too low ?

It sounds OK for me. Good price for the CBR i guess, you will not get it cheaper somewhere else. Maybe you will get a bit more if you sell the Wave not to a shop. But this is normal. 4 years old is really not new, even with only 4,600km on the clock.