Can I Become A Thai Citizen?

You should be able to buy a house, live in it, have legal rights, not have to report like a convict every 90 days.

You should be able to work like a free man, without fear that if you lose your job you need to leave the country and your wife and son will die.

You should be able to walk in the street without fear that you did not wai everybody and anybody.

Get the point?

Your wife can buy a house, or you can buy one for her.

If you leave the country your wife and son won't die, you are easily replaceable. Even the single women seem to survive and bring up children.

I never wai anyone, they wai me as I have higher status than them.

my points are different to your points but equally valid.

After reading your post I wanted to vomit!

How dare you say I can buy a house or my wife can when we live on a govt teacher's salary in Thailand.

How dare you say I am replaceable as a father and a husband.

Nazi Germany was less evil. Good night and good bye!

My wifes sister in law is a Primary school teacher earning 15k a month, she has a 'home loan' and a house.

Her husband works in a hotel earning 10k a month.

So they are buying a house on a total income of 25k a month, a fairly good wage for a Thai family. They own a car too.

Do you really earn less than 25k a month?

I own a car, but cannot get your home loan as I am a foreigner. Nor can I own land (which is needed if one needs a house).

Anyway, you missed the point lopburi3 has stated it above.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...What a country and what a system?...

If you plan to show that attitude in your meetings with Special Branch -- and I guess you can't act otherwise than being yourself -- you may want to drop the whole idea of Thai citizenship. You won't have much of a chance.

Fair point. However that does not reduce the validity of my comment. Yes?

I own a car, but cannot get your home loan as I am a foreigner. Nor can I own land (which is needed if one needs a house).

You cant get a mortage in your own name, but your Thai wife can and you can co-sign the loan, certain banks will consider your income only for the application and the wife doesnt need to be working or even your legal wife for that matter...

I never said I can't speak the language - I can (to a certain extent). I never said I have no assets (just not much), this "low income" is more than enough to support a family on and is accepted when providing a work visa i.e. it is considered OK by immigration but it is not consistent with citizenship law - this is a flaw.

This is not a flaw, and this is not only in Thailand, how many Indians, Pakaistanis etc who have worked in the middle east have ever been granted citizenship in those middle eastern countries by virtue of the time they have worked there, my bet none..

Your logic is completely flawed, being allowed to work somewhere and being allowed to become a citizen of said country are completely different.

I never said I can't speak the language - I can (to a certain extent). I never said I have no assets (just not much), this "low income" is more than enough to support a family on and is accepted when providing a work visa i.e. it is considered OK by immigration but it is not consistent with citizenship law - this is a flaw.

This is not a flaw, and this is not only in Thailand, how many Indians, Pakaistanis etc who have worked in the middle east have ever been granted citizenship in those middle eastern countries by virtue of the time they have worked there, my bet none..

Your logic is completely flawed, being allowed to work somewhere and being allowed to become a citizen of said country are completely different.

I am really rolling on the floor and laughing at your ignorance!

http://www.dubaifaqs...-wife-dubai.php And gues what? The minimum income requirement to get residence is lower than Thailand's (can also be ZERO)!!!

OH, I forgot, please get your facts straight before posting - I am not wanting to apply for citizenship based on my employment. I am doing it based on being married to a Thai and having a Thai child - big difference. And most countries do not kick you out if you have such a position with natives of that country (Thailand does)!

If Thailand offered a fair route to remain with one's family then there woulb be no need for citizenship. However, that is the only route to ensure family stabilty here!

Edited by AngryParent

You cant get a mortage in your own name, but your Thai wife can and you can co-sign the loan, certain banks will consider your income only for the application and the wife doesnt need to be working or even your legal wife for that matter...

You have missed the point again!

A foreigner cannnot own land - full stop! The wife, my tuk tuk driver or friend owning it is not the same as ME owning it!

If Thailand offered a fair route to remain with one's family then there woulb be no need for citizenship. However, that is the only route to ensure family stabilty here!

It does..... get a decent job on a WP and once you reach 50 you go onto retirement, so not the only route ....not hard

Or of course have the required cash/income in the bank and you can get your annual extension by virtue that you are married to a Thai national...:rolleyes:

Edited by Soutpeel

It does..... get a decent job on a WP and once you reach 50 you go onto retirement, so not the only route ...:rolleyes: ......not hard

I really do appreciate your comments.

That is not a solution - there will always be that sword over the head with a 24 hour to get kicked out or arrested etc. It is not an ideal position within which to bring up a child and maintain a family esp a Thai child and Thai wife. Plus it is not compatible with basic international human rights law - which Thailand has signed. And as proven above, even those 'scary' Middle East countries provide stabilty to husbands/wifes and fathers of natives of those countries.

It is with much sadness that I wake up to this fact that my family cannot remain here permanently - when the majority of this family is Thai.

Although a nice concept, get a good job and wait for retirement - not all people are fortunate enough to get those good jobs. Thai schools do not even pay a pension - so at the age of 50 one will be kicked out!

Like it or not, your advice (that is quickly given) is an ideal and not often achievable. What is worse is that real lives are affected by this unfair policy of Thailand.

I really don't care if some think I have a bad attitude - the fact is a family is suffering; when this family contributes to the lives of thousands of Thai kids and is able to support itself.

OH, I do have a very decent and noble job - it is called being a teacher. And yes, I have a work permit and have had it since I arrived!

So please, rather than posting comments that just infuriate and pours salt into my existing wounds/suffering - why not find a nice bar and a bouncy girl to share your wisdom with.

Edited by AngryParent

It does..... get a decent job on a WP and once you reach 50 you go onto retirement, so not the only route ...:rolleyes: ......not hard

That is not a solution - there will always be that sword over the head with a 24 hour to get kicked out or arrested etc. It is not an ideal position within which to bring up a child and maintain a family esp a Thai child and Thai wife. Plus it is not compatible with basic international human rights law - which Thailand has signed. And as proven above, even those 'scary' Middle East countries provide stabilty to husbands/wifes and fathers of natives of those countries.

It is with much sadness that I wake up to this fact that my family cannot remain here permanently - when the majority of this family is Thai.

Although a nice concept, get a good job and wait for retirement - not all people are fortunate enough to get those good jobs. Thai schools do not even pay a pension - so at the age of 50 one will be kicked out!

Like it or not, your advice (that is quickly given) is an ideal and not often achievable. What is worse is that real lives are affected by this unfair policy of Thailand.

I really don't care if some think I have a bad attitude - the fact is a family is suffering; when this family contributes to the lives of thousands of Thai kids and is able to support itself.

OH, I do have a very decent and noble job - it is called being a teacher. And yes, I have a work permit and have had it since I arrived!

You can get extension to remain based on the fact you are married to a Thai national, provided you meet the financial criteria, so even if you lose your job, you don't not have to leave with in 24 hours....so based on the info given you have multiple options not just PR or citizenship and we havent even considered starting your own business or getting an Ed visa either, as a vehicle to remain.

The reality is the goverment is never going to make it easy so the sooner you get used to the idea the better and instead of being fixated with citizenship, focus your attention on the other options

You can get extension to remain based on the fact you are married to a Thai national, provided you meet the financial criteria, so even if you lose your job, you don't not have to leave with in 24 hours....so based on the info given you have multiple options not just PR or citizenship and we havent even considered starting your own business or getting an Ed visa either, as a vehicle to remain.

The reality is the goverment is never going to make it easy so the sooner you get used to the idea the better and instead of being fixated with citizenship, focus your attention on the other options

As I said, no job = get out of Thailand. I am sure you will realize that even the best could sometimes become unemployed.

The draconian financial requirements are actually very high and in many EU countries most citizens do not possess this amount of savings.

NO, I will restate, the prevailing system in Thailand is not family friendly. Taking a well off Western country (that has no real social security system similar to that in the EU - like Thailand) as an example - Canada has ZERO financial requirements to bring family there and remain for a 100 years.

PR = no hope. Starting a business = 1-2 million in capital. ED visa does not allow one to work and support the family.

No, sir, I stand by my position - it is an unfriendly system in Thailand for those who have Thai family members.

Edited by AngryParent

[That is not a solution - there will always be that sword over the head with a 24 hour to get kicked out or arrested etc. It is not an ideal position within which to bring up a child and maintain a family esp a Thai child and Thai wife. Plus it is not compatible with basic international human rights law - which Thailand has signed. And as proven above, even those 'scary' Middle East countries provide stabilty to husbands/wifes and fathers of natives of those countries.

I do agree with a lot of what you say, but the problem is not just restricted to Thailand.

To take your Thai wife to the UK you need a home and large income, even more difficult that Thailand I think.

@ CJ

Congratulations and well done, you give us all hope.

As I said, no job = get out of Thailand. I am sure you will realize that even the best could sometimes become unemployed.

The draconian financial requirements are actually very high and in many EU countries most citizens do not possess this amount of savings.

NO, I will restate, the prevailing system in Thailand is not family friendly. Taking a well off Western country (that has no real social security system similar to that in the EU - like Thailand) as an example - Canada has ZERO financial requirements to bring family there and remain for a 100 years.

PR = no hope. Starting a business = 1-2 million in capital. ED visa does not allow one to work and support the family.

No, sir, I stand by my position - it is an unfriendly system in Thailand for those who have Thai family members.

You're not that well informed yourself either, my friend. When starting a company and looking to get a work permit through that company, the capital requirements are either 1 or 2 million (assuming you'll own the company together with your wife, it will be 1 million). However, this capital DOES NOT have to be paid into a bank account in full. As a matter of fact, ZERO has to actually be paid into a bank account when starting. When registering the company yourself (which is what me and my wife did), you're looking at startup costs of no more then 20.000 baht, and that's it!

You seem to be dead set on the fact that the world is unfair and you are owed a whole lot. But the simple fact, you are where are at this point entirely due to your own choices and decisions. Is it currently not possible to meet the requirements for a PR, then make the changes required to meet those criteria. Nobody is putting a gun to your head to keep on working in some dead-end job at a public school.

Lastly, a friend of mine is trying to get his Thai wife to join him in a certain western European country. And comparing the hoops they have to jump through and the amounts of money needed to make that work make the procedure here in Thailand look like a walk in the park....

Edited by mjnaus

[That is not a solution - there will always be that sword over the head with a 24 hour to get kicked out or arrested etc. It is not an ideal position within which to bring up a child and maintain a family esp a Thai child and Thai wife. Plus it is not compatible with basic international human rights law - which Thailand has signed. And as proven above, even those 'scary' Middle East countries provide stabilty to husbands/wifes and fathers of natives of those countries.

I do agree with a lot of what you say, but the problem is not just restricted to Thailand.

To take your Thai wife to the UK you need a home and large income, even more difficult that Thailand I think.

@ CJ

Congratulations and well done, you give us all hope.

Yesterday you were a bit XYZ with me... all forgotten!

There is a big difference between the UK and Thailand.

1. there is no need for 400,000 Baht in savings.

2. House requirements are quite simply, does one have a tenancy agreement. You do not need to own or act like a big boss. Wales has places for rent for 50+ a month.

3. No, it is not like Thailand, granted 40,000 Baht seems small to some that have commented (but for Thailand it is what most Thai teachers do not get - and I know many with 20-30 years of work). The income level is what is survivable on,

4. The UK follows laws, including human rights law and tries to be consistant. According to the legal calculation for a family, the unemployment benefit is around 100 a week. As per the law, even though it may appear different, the UK cannot refuse a UK citizen with a UK child i.e. 2 out of 3 (the same as my position in Thailand). The extra criteria is that one does not claim any govt. benefits for a couple of years (if you want your wife to become a UK citizen soon - but she can have permanent residence for 100 years) - In Thailand there are no benefits but the rules are harder - just to remain with my family.

I think the best example was Canada as it gives almost ZERO in unemployment and housing benefits(similar to Thailand) - but with just one person being Canadian the full family can go to Canada. No salary, no house etc.

Edited by AngryParent

You're not that well informed yourself either, my friend. When starting a company and looking to get a work permit through that company, the capital requirements are either 1 or 2 million (assuming you'll own the company together with your wife, it will be 1 million). However, this capital DOES NOT have to be paid into a bank account in full. As a matter of fact, ZERO has to actually be paid into a bank account when starting. When registering the company yourself (which is what me and my wife did), you're looking at startup costs of no more then 20.000 baht, and that's it!

You seem to be dead set on the fact that the world is unfair and you are owed a whole lot. But the simple fact, you are where are at this point entirely due to your own choices and decisions. Is it currently not possible to meet the requirements for a PR, then make the changes required to meet those criteria. Nobody is putting a gun to your head to keep on working in some dead-end job at a public school.

Lastly, a friend of mine is trying to get his Thai wife to join him in a certain western European country. And comparing the hoops they have to jump through and the amounts of money needed to make that work make the procedure here in Thailand look like a walk in the park....

With all due respect, thanks for sharing you 20,000 Baht can live in Thailand forever plan. I am sure there are others on this forum that will say, you need 4 employees, social security and income tax proof (the first year OK... but then?).

Forgive my poor inglis language skills; 1-2 million by the way it is written does encompass what you seem to think my comment lacked.

would love to be a fly on the wall down at Special Branch tomorrow when the OP visits. It will either all go swimingly, or will be highly entertaining.

Sorry to burst your bubble my friendly adviser. :)

As much as I can be angry, I also am a professional person with a couple of decades of experience and qualifications. Can keep a family together and can get employment references in Thailand and abroad for decades.

No, I will not go ballistic and shoot all on sight. That is what this forum is for! ;)

However, I will in a legalistic manner query all matters that I might be told I am stopped on.

A better post would have been, how can AngryParent keep a normal family and work for all these years. Angry does not = crazy etc. I am angry because I want to protect my family - just like a mother hen will go ballistic and protect the family (forgive me, at this moment I cannot think of a male example).

And to be totally honest, that is what every Thai wife and son deserves from the farang husband (and vice versa). My every working minute goes to supporting this family. As I said, my flaw is that I am not rich, but I have toiled to be a just parent and husband.

Edited by AngryParent

would love to be a fly on the wall down at Special Branch tomorrow when the OP visits. It will either all go swimingly, or will be highly entertaining.

Sorry Samran, will not be going to BKK tomorrow. It is a full day trip, with a wife and son and they do not want to go. The 100% Thai part of the family was a party to the conversation with BKK and there is a belief that going to Bangkok will result in 'seeah wellah'. Forgive me for the transliteration 'seeah' (the same word used for a broken vehicle) and wellah (time). As mentioned earlier, it was a lengthy phone conversation - around 30-40 minutes with me talking a bit in Thai and those that can speak it fluently speaking a lot more. The Thai part of the family is fairly convinced that I cannot approach the starting gate as 40,000 Baht a month is not met. That is the basic criteria and only then the point system is used.

Instead, will try to find a local Special Branch and let all know the outcome.

If there is no local office, then....

Edited by AngryParent

With all due respect, thanks for sharing you 20,000 Baht can live in Thailand forever plan. I am sure there are others on this forum that will say, you need 4 employees, social security and income tax proof (the first year OK... but then?).

Forgive my poor inglis language skills; 1-2 million by the way it is written does encompass what you seem to think my comment lacked.

I didn't say anything about yearly costs did I? Didn't catch the words STARTUP COSTS there?

Also don't remember saying anything about a 20.000 life-in-Thailand-forever plan.

Then, being married to a Thai, you won't need 4 employees, officially only two will do. And many local labour offices are fine with letting you get by the first years WITHOUT any employees.

Anyway, you seem to be unable to turn your life around for the better, so it's probably better to accept the fact you'll be stuck in that dead-end public school teacher job until you're 45 years old, you'll get fired, you'll be broke and you'll end up being deported back home. Then, you can keep on complaining to everybody back home how Thailand treated you so badly whistling.gif

I didn't say anything about yearly costs did I? Didn't catch the words STARTUP COSTS there?

Also don't remember saying anything about a 20.000 life-in-Thailand-forever plan.

Then, being married to a Thai, you won't need 4 employees, officially only two will do. And many local labour offices are fine with letting you get by the first years WITHOUT any employees.

Anyway, you seem to be unable to turn your life around for the better, so it's probably better to accept the fact you'll be stuck in that dead-end public school teacher job until you're 45 years old, you'll get fired, you'll be broke and you'll end up being deported back home. Then, you can keep on complaining to everybody back home how Thailand treated you so badly whistling.gif

I could get into the complete nonsense of what you are babbling. However, your ignorance keeps you happy and probably also keeps the local girls at the bar happy too!

Ride the happy wave my friend. The only problem is that what you advocate is not the official line. For any self respecting person who has been legal for more years than your business plan, I just can't ride your wave.

If I really wanted to live the undergound life - there are plenty of better examples to imitate.

If you read all my posts, you will get the point that I do not need a quick visa run or another 30 days. I need something that is at a level that is much higher than you can comprehend - as demonstrated by your quick fix posts.

However, thanks for taking the time to be friendly and trying to help - this is an honest thanks!

Edited by AngryParent

Thank you for your friendly comments and suggestions to solve my problems.

My comments and analysis of your solutions are excessively critical in the methodology.

You went out of your way to try and help me and that is good enough for me. It is rare in the modern world to find such people.

Thank you.

Edited by AngryParent

I recently received my approval. Yes, there is a process that one must go through and, yes, it does take time.

I know that the time from application to notification of approval can vary from one applicant to the next, from one Minister of the Interior to the next, but it would interest me and probably also other members to hear how long it took in your case.

Hi Maestro - thank you for asking. The relevant timeframe for my citizenship application/approval process was as follows:

May 2007 - Lodge application with Special Branch

August 2007 - Special Branch Interview

November 2007 - Interview (at my office) from the Thai equivalent of the FBI

August 2008 - Interior Ministry interview

July 2011 - Application approved by Interior Minister

Cheers,

CJ

But do you actually have your ID card yet? 4 yrs does seem quick compared with other applications, and from the document listed on their website, there are still several more steps in the process

1_06062553.pdf

Sorry Samran, will not be going to BKK tomorrow. It is a full day trip, with a wife and son and they do not want to go. The 100% Thai part of the family was a party to the conversation with BKK and there is a belief that going to Bangkok will result in 'seeah wellah'. Forgive me for the transliteration 'seeah' (the same word used for a broken vehicle) and wellah (time). As mentioned earlier, it was a lengthy phone conversation - around 30-40 minutes with me talking a bit in Thai and those that can speak it fluently speaking a lot more. The Thai part of the family is fairly convinced that I cannot approach the starting gate as 40,000 Baht a month is not met. That is the basic criteria and only then the point system is used.

Instead, will try to find a local Special Branch and let all know the outcome.

If there is no local office, then....

Local special branch won't have a clue. As said, rules - and caveats - change subtly every year and the guys in BKK know what they are....

But do you actually have your ID card yet? 4 yrs does seem quick compared with other applications, and from the document listed on their website, there are still several more steps in the process

Hi Time Traveller. No, I do not have my ID card yet. I am awaiting His Majesty's signature then official publication in the Gazette. Anywhere from another 6 to 12 months before I actually receive my ID card, I would say. But the "black hole" part of the process is over and the remainder is merely formality.