Can I Become A Thai Citizen?

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No

You will never be a Thai citizen.

I got it right in post #2, looks like 10 pages to MrAngry for nothing.

But some of the answers were informative and may help me get citizenship, so thanks to everyone.

To which I will quote your own post! You will never get citizenship!

Where I had the energy to try for what I thought was possible, I now realize it is not possible - not becauce of a lack of 40,000 a month (that is the acheivable part). This system is not designed to grant citizenship. It is designed to gain information and control the farangs - hence the detective Special Branch and not the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (ChaengWattana) or immigration police (who deal most with foreigners).

It is a master plan! Foreigners keep chasing the carrot, and pay for the priviledge, and at the same time because they are living in hope of heaven (citizenship) they become quiet farangs for 5-10 years (or the application may never get approved)! So, all the pain and suffering they endure, they shut up for (in the hope of citizenship).

Oh dear......

But then, that is why I am a qualified teacher and you are...

..... a Thai citizen who obviously has no problem earning more than 40,000 baht per month.

Proof of citizenship? Still waiting for the Gazette docs that show the farangs are getting citizenship. Till then...?

And I personally know three others.

I know at least half a dozen. And I don't even get out much.

3 times 2 = 6! :)

Show me even 6 farangs have been granted citizenship in the last 3 years - that was the evidence provided by your buddy that you defend!

Proof? Government Gazzette?

If so AnnoyingParent could presumably qualify that way <snip>

I have been following this Thread but not contributing - as I have said in previous Threads on similar subjects Samran has WAY more patience than I have.

I just thought the above Quote was very appropriate - it may have been a mistake ..... or a Freudian slip!

Patrick

And would you care to contribute?

Hey, be my guest to prove my posts wrong regarding citizenship! You can insult me, but you cannot prove me wrong! I guess this sums it up!

But in the process of insulting me and twisting knives in my back, all have forgotten that I came to this forum for help.

Some tried to help, and realized that the odds were against me and shut up. That was kind.

Some, realized the odds were against me but tried to poke me with needles.

Some, in ignorance, followed the herds and tried to insult me.

Did anybody stop and think that this matter affects all farangs in Thailand? Rather than try to contribute as a team, the majority chose to approach this selfishly and independantly. Shoot the other down (who is one step lower etc.). That is why multiple generations of farangs will always be 24 hours away from the departure gate!

My dear chap!

I would never insult you!

Once I was able to ignore the xenophobic aspects of your rants I find your swivel-eyed conviction that the whole Thai Visa / Permanent Residence / Thai Citizenship process has been specifically designed to penalise and frustrate you personally is a constant amusement.

Please, please continue.

Patrick

If so AnnoyingParent could presumably qualify that way <snip>

I have been following this Thread but not contributing - as I have said in previous Threads on similar subjects Samran has WAY more patience than I have.

I just thought the above Quote was very appropriate - it may have been a mistake ..... or a Freudian slip!

Patrick

And would you care to contribute?

Hey, be my guest to prove my posts wrong regarding citizenship! You can insult me, but you cannot prove me wrong! I guess this sums it up!

But in the process of insulting me and twisting knives in my back, all have forgotten that I came to this forum for help.

Some tried to help, and realized that the odds were against me and shut up. That was kind.

Some, realized the odds were against me but tried to poke me with needles.

Some, in ignorance, followed the herds and tried to insult me.

Did anybody stop and think that this matter affects all farangs in Thailand? Rather than try to contribute as a team, the majority chose to approach this selfishly and independantly. Shoot the other down (who is one step lower etc.). That is why multiple generations of farangs will always be 24 hours away from the departure gate!

My dear chap!

I would never insult you!

Once I was able to ignore the xenophobic aspects of your rants I find your swivel-eyed conviction that the whole Thai Visa / Permanent Residence / Thai Citizenship process has been specifically designed to penalise and frustrate you personally is a constant amusement.

Please, please continue.

Patrick

My xenophobic aspects!!! Keep pouring yourself another double!

In a few years time, I look forward to hearing your rants! It is all a matter of time - no one is immune!

Dear AngryParent

I know of 20+ spouses of Thai people (almost all women) with Thai citizenship. Not difficult at all that route...for women. For men...more difficult it seems. Fair/not fair won't comment, but that's how it is.

I know of a further 10+ white farang men who have Thai citizenship by virtue of application and acceptance. It could be as many as 20-30, if I expanded to people I've ever met, it's probably pushign more like 50+; however it's not something that comes up in casual conversation for the most part!

THAI LANGUAGE

Most speak Thai at a decent level (as in they could have a conversation if somewhat stilted regarding for instance, the general nature of the Thai education system, the differences between rural and urban Thailand, the health benefits of exercise, and types of exercise). My idea of speaking Thai at an 'ok level' would be being able to talk and express an opinion about these three things; they are simple easy subjects, we hold opinions on them, and someone who cannot should not consider that they speak Thai at a level necessary to become a Thai citizen (although there are applicants who have acheived more with less than this).

EDUCATION

All i know have a solid post grad level education, and their education is in a proper subject from an average to decent university

WORK/WAGES

All earn a decent level Thai wage. By this I mean at absolute minimum I think 80,000b, and in most cases double, triple or more than this. For me a decent wage in Thailand is no where near 40,000b a month; at 40,000b you are paying basically no tax, you are not providing money to the social welfare system and you are not proving the capability to look after yourself, knowing and accepting at first glance that most foreigners cannot live as cheaply as a local, and have, 'ahem' different expectations for healthcare etc as well.

Also, a comparison to locals is pointless; no country would want an inundation of MORE people draining the welfare system, if given they choice, they want to pick and choose the people who will HELP the country. Tax is one of the measurement sticks. With about as it stands now, 7m people picking up the social welfare bill for 65 million...Thai governments want to have 7.x million tax payers....not more beneficiaries.

Regarding the idea that somehow a teacher provides more social benefit than some business magnate or even heaven forbid a knock shop owner....well that's an argument which at the highest level is expert category, and at a run of the mill teacher level, not included officially; in reality a teacher/educator in Thailand is still a respected profession and probably gets some benefit, not always deserved, unofficially.

Educators are often the group most vocal about their worth helping 'thousands' and so on... respectfully of course, monks, priests, doctors, large scale employers, NGO workers all also help thousands of people. These professions and activities also sometimes have their share of bad eggs as well. People working in offices often provide the sort of tax funding and indirect economic benefits to help thousands of people indirectly also.

To suggest the scheme is tilted towards Chinese is simply wrong. It's actually quite equally unfair to everyone, irrespective of nationality. Arguably Americans are the only sore thumbs, but even the Treaty of Amity stuff is fading away now, given that it breaches WTO regulations; a stepping stone to investment in Thailand perhaps. I don't know, perhaps Chinese tend to be able to come here more readily due to proximity; maybe family connections, much bigger bank balances, much more business focus, better language skills....etc. As with PR for each nation, they too are capped at 100 per country per year.

Raising the issue of migration to Europe....pointless thinking about it. Most western countries have a set of guidelines and points. Wealth, education, worth, age, lack of criminal record, health, family connections, investment - they all have some reasoning behind them, even when there are parallel refugee schemes that throw that out the window.

Each country has the sovereign right to choose who they let in and who they don't; not every country is like Montenegro. Alledgedly. No doubt the system in Thailand was created historically to avoid the risk of being overrun with foreigners many years ago, and changing that system today takes time. It is their right with deciding who they want to have stay and who they don't. Unlike much of Europe the aging population issue is a long way away, and there are still countless people willing to do manual labour and neighbours on special schemes. In their wisdom the Thai government currently likes experts, job creators, tax payers and people with a connection to Thailand.

Further suggestions that it is set up to keep 'farang out' are not reflected in the farang and non-farang I know who have gone through the 5+ year process to become naturalised Thais. It is not that easy, but if you are willing to do it, and your circumstances match the profile of people Thailand officially values (reflected in criteria) then apply, and it will happen.

I have no idea what sort of a groundswell movement you believe you can create, but I do not believe there is some mystical 99% group waiting to occupy Suan Lumpini for the purposes of amendment of citizenship procedure. Nothing to do with selfishness, everything to do with realism and understanding.

Edited by steveromagnino

As has been mentioned on this forum. The names of these naturalized Thais will be recorded in the government Gazzette. Still waiting for one naturilized citizen or even a Thai by birth to either give me a link to the gazzette (with the names) or they can happilly scan or copy and post as attachments on this forum!

Till then, I disbelieve 99.99% of all claims.

Edited by lopburi3
not needed quote removed

Show me even 6 farangs have been granted citizenship in the last 3 years - that was the evidence provided by your buddy that you defend!

Why are you going on about 6?

42 is clearly the answer.

PR from 2004 (it was so small that even I can't be bothered to remember the number)? Or is that a mystical number that gains citizenship if they follow 42 regulations?

Now back to this forum topic i.e. CITIZENSHIP, how many got citizenship last year (with proof), the year before (with proof) failing such proof, what about 2008?

As has been mentioned on this forum. The names of these naturalized Thais will be recorded in the government Gazzette. Still waiting for one naturilized citizen or even a Thai by birth to either give me a link to the gazzette (with the names) or they can happilly scan or copy and post as attachments on this forum!

From arkady...

Go into the website here http://www.ratchakit...index/index.htm and look for the search function for announcements. Key in สัญชาติ and you should get several pages of announcements to do with Thai citizenship.

Knock yourself out. The list goes back years.

PR from 2004 (it was so small that even I can't be bothered to remember the number)? Or is that a mystical number that gains citizenship if they follow 42 regulations?

Now back to this forum topic i.e. CITIZENSHIP, how many got citizenship last year (with proof), the year before (with proof) failing such proof, what about 2008?

42 is clearly the answer to life, universe and everything else. Most people know this.

From arkady...

Go into the website here http://www.ratchakit...index/index.htm and look for the search function for announcements. Key in สัญชาติ and you should get several pages of announcements to do with Thai citizenship.

Knock yourself out. The list goes back years.

And?

It is so easy, tell me how many farangs got citizenship last year! I really have no interest in the non-farangs that got citizenship (or the little new borns) - although I wish them true peace and happiness.

ZERO?

I just realized it. You are quoting Arkady (for the website) and using the common word for nationality (Thai) not other more appropriate words to use in a search related to farangs . Either you cannot read Thai (as a Thai Australian) or something is fishy! I can do it better! And That website is now flash based without the search engine! Your link does not work!

Smells fishy to me!

Edited by AngryParent

Angry Parent shuts his ears whenever someone says something that goes against what he originally set out wanting to believe. Not only that, he "ROFL's" and compares people to Nazis, instead of actually trying to learn something. THAT, my friends, is why he will never be a Thai citizen -- nor will he ever be much of anything but the bottom head on the totem pole. Oh -- and if you doubt for one second that anything I have said was anything but 100% truthful, I'll be happy to meet you any time, any place (in Bangkok) and let you lovingly finger the Thai ID passport that I have, and which you never will. I might even show you the document with my name and the King's signature on it -- plus buy you a frothy beverage of your choosing (the offer goes to anyone else here as well, not just Mr. Parent). Doubtless, though, even that wouldn't be convincing to someone who sits around all day with his hands over his ears singing la-dee-da and bemoaning his miserable, self-pitying life. I can hear it now: 1,000 baht at Khaosan Road, eh mate? What a sad person.

or trying to live in Thailand with my wife under international human rights law (that Thailand has signed)?

Slight flaw, Thailand signed the human rights documents but cunningly did not grant the UN court jurisdiction! So, cheap words from the Thai govt. for around 40 years, that enabled Thailand to benefit in numerous ways from international support without any loss! Almost a mirror image of the Permanent Residence matter and Thai citizenship?

Melodramatic? Kindly tell me how a 66.66% Thai family can survive if the main support has to leave the country because he cannot remain if one loses a job; as Thailand gives 24 hours to leave (+/- and not much more +). Even the Middle East does not kick a spouse out for lack of job, income or savings! That sums it up!

Please explain how being a Thai citizen would make any difference when you lose your job? A lot of people here have tried to offer suggestions, but I still can't understand how your family will be better off with you as an unemployed thai citizen?

or trying to live in Thailand with my wife under international human rights law (that Thailand has signed)?

Slight flaw, Thailand signed the human rights documents but cunningly did not grant the UN court jurisdiction! So, cheap words from the Thai govt. for around 40 years, that enabled Thailand to benefit in numerous ways from international support without any loss! Almost a mirror image of the Permanent Residence matter and Thai citizenship?

Melodramatic? Kindly tell me how a 66.66% Thai family can survive if the main support has to leave the country because he cannot remain if one loses a job; as Thailand gives 24 hours to leave (+/- and not much more +). Even the Middle East does not kick a spouse out for lack of job, income or savings! That sums it up!

Please explain how being a Thai citizen would make any difference when you lose your job? A lot of people here have tried to offer suggestions, but I still can't understand how your family will be better off with you as an unemployed thai citizen?

A common theme is emerging here- it is all someone else fault. The OP is rather resentful of the world he is living in.

But I digress. Indeed, I have a Thai passport, and I wouldn't dream of living in Thailand unless I was making at least 10 times what the OP makes at a minimum. To do any less is to do my family a disservice.

Geez, even my wife, as a part time teacher earns more than he does in a month.

Edited by samran

And?

It is so easy, tell me how many farangs got citizenship last year! I really have no interest in the non-farangs that got citizenship (or the little new borns) - although I wish them true peace and happiness.

ZERO?

I just realized it. You are quoting Arkady (for the website) and using the common word for nationality (Thai) not other more appropriate words to use in a search related to farangs . Either you cannot read Thai (as a Thai Australian) or something is fishy! I can do it better! And That website is now flash based without the search engine! Your link does not work!

Smells fishy to me!

You can't seem to help but be insulting can you? Of course I can read Thai you arrogant gnat.

Anyway, Ms Karon Cox - an American would be one example this year.

http://www.ratchakitcha.soc.go.th/DATA/PDF/2554/D/108/7.PDF

The year before, a British lady, Miss Judith Sangpratum

http://www.ratchakitcha.soc.go.th/DATA/PDF/2553/D/142/1.PDF

Marina Evanova, from Russia, probably is happy she got her Thai citizenship

http://www.ratchakitcha.soc.go.th/DATA/PDF/2553/D/060/3.PDF

Angela Mary Prachanbutr, British, seems to have made it

http://www.ratchakitcha.soc.go.th/DATA/PDF/2553/D/060/2.PDF

If you think I'm showing too many women, then:

Timothy William Flikiss (sp?)

http://www.ratchakitcha.soc.go.th/DATA/PDF/2553/E/019/3.PDF

Mr Peter Carbress (sp?), the first on this list, would also care to disagree with you

http://www.ratchakitcha.soc.go.th/DATA/PDF/2553/E/093/123.PDF

The third bloke on this list (Garret Stip?) sounds 'farang'

http://www.ratchakitcha.soc.go.th/DATA/PDF/2553/E/096/21.PDF

Has "Angryparent" retained a lawyer to fight for his human rights a Thai court yet, Maybe he could appeal to the UN and the ICJ...:rolleyes:

but more importantly has he got down off his cross yet ?.....:whistling:

For someone who is supposed to be educated all I can say is.....:blink:

Edited by Soutpeel

The OP is rather resentful of the world he is living in...

...and i don't understand why the OP is not leaving that world he resents and moves to greener pastures where human rights are "respected" and in some cases discriminating hurdles have been erected to make it extremely difficult for a wife or a husband to join her/his partner.

read this!

Edited by Naam

Here are stats I gleaned from the Royal Gazette for 2005 to 2010. I am not sure any more that Angry is genuinely interested at this point but others might be.

7 women were approved to adopt the Thai nationality of their husbands.

145 naturalisations were approved, of which 25 were female and 11 had farang sounding names

Combined totals from 2005 to 2010 are:

496 women approved to adopt the Thai nationality of their husbands (average 82.7 p.a.)

604 naturalisations were approved(average 100.7 p.a.)

Farang sounding names accounted for 7% of naturalisations.

Note:

1. Women apply to adopt the Thai nationality of their husbands under Section 9 of the Nationality Act and this is not considered as "naturalisation".

2. All other applicants, including men with Thai wives, apply for naturalisation under Section 10.

3. My stats exclude the lengthy lists that appear in the Royal Gazette from time to time of people who were apparently stateless and acquired Thai citizenship through registration.

The bottom line is that there was slow but steady progress in approvals during 2005 -2010 at an average rate of around 180 a year (including women married to Thais). Approvals took place in 2011 under the previous government but tended to be in smaller batches than previously. I haven't collated the stats for 2011 yet.

And?

ZERO?

Smells fishy to me!

You can't seem to help but be insulting can you? Of course I can read Thai you arrogant gnat.

http://www.ratchakit...554/D/108/7.PDF

http://www.ratchakit...553/D/142/1.PDF

http://www.ratchakit...553/D/060/3.PDF

http://www.ratchakit...553/D/060/2.PDF

http://www.ratchakit...553/E/019/3.PDF

Mr Peter Carbress (sp?), the first on this list, would also care to disagree with you

http://www.ratchakit...3/E/093/123.PDF

http://www.ratchakit...53/E/096/21.PDF

I guess your post and Arkady's confirms I was right and you were wrong (again?).

The numbers of Western people that are granted Thai citizenship is so small that it indicates that farangs are granted as an "exception" rather than as part of some mainstream policy!

Hence, your advice, give up the good job, be a slave in an unstable job, just to get 40,000 Baht (so as to qualify) is not really good advice. As there is a high probability that even if the application is accepted, it may never get approved.

At the rate of citizenship approval, it will be decades before just the people who have posted on this thread on this forum get approved!

Which brings me back to my valid point that Thailand is not farang friendly and it is even less family friendly. I say this with sadness, as I am affected.

Here are stats I gleaned from the Royal Gazette for 2005 to 2010. I am not sure any more that Angry is genuinely interested at this point but others might be.

7 women were approved to adopt the Thai nationality of their husbands.

145 naturalisations were approved, of which 25 were female and 11 had farang sounding names

Combined totals from 2005 to 2010 are:

496 women approved to adopt the Thai nationality of their husbands (average 82.7 p.a.)

604 naturalisations were approved(average 100.7 p.a.)

Farang sounding names accounted for 7% of naturalisations.

Note:

1. Women apply to adopt the Thai nationality of their husbands under Section 9 of the Nationality Act and this is not considered as "naturalisation".

2. All other applicants, including men with Thai wives, apply for naturalisation under Section 10.

3. My stats exclude the lengthy lists that appear in the Royal Gazette from time to time of people who were apparently stateless and acquired Thai citizenship through registration.

The bottom line is that there was slow but steady progress in approvals during 2005 -2010 at an average rate of around 180 a year (including women married to Thais). Approvals took place in 2011 under the previous government but tended to be in smaller batches than previously. I haven't collated the stats for 2011 yet.

Thanks for that!

I am still interested, but a lot less than before. 6 super farangs with connections per year (or 40 over half a decade) is not something to make one rush out, change ones life and walk into Special Branch.

Thanks again though. And thanks for not insulting me, my family or my situation - appreciated!

And?

ZERO?

Smells fishy to me!

http://www.ratchakit...554/D/108/7.PDF

http://www.ratchakit...553/D/142/1.PDF

http://www.ratchakit...553/D/060/3.PDF

http://www.ratchakit...553/D/060/2.PDF

http://www.ratchakit...553/E/019/3.PDF

http://www.ratchakit...3/E/093/123.PDF

http://www.ratchakit...53/E/096/21.PDF

I guess your post and Arkady's confirms I was right and you were wrong (again?).

The numbers of Western people that are granted Thai citizenship is so small that it indicates that farangs are granted as an "exception" rather than as part of some mainstream policy!

Hence, your advice, give up the good job, be a slave in an unstable job, just to get 40,000 Baht (so as to qualify) is not really good advice. As there is a high probability that even if the application is accepted, it may never get approved.

At the rate of citizenship approval, it will be decades before just the people who have posted on this thread on this forum get approved!

Which brings me back to my valid point that Thailand is not farang friendly and it is even less family friendly. I say this with sadness, as I am affected.

I am wrong about 'what' exactly? You stated that there is some sort of conspiracy not to grant 'farangs' citizenship based on a conversation with a upcountry cop. I've shown a half dozen randomly selected cases from 2010 and 2011 which were, from the site which you said didn't work.

Sure there aren't that many, but did it ever occur to you that not many apply to begin with? That Thai citizenship is simply not high on the agenda for most western passport holders?

You really aren't the sharpest tool in the shed are you?

AngryParent - My application for citizenship was approved in July 2011. I am not Chinese. I am not rich. I was simply qualified based on my situation. I put in my application in 2007, waited, sought updates at to the status of my application regularly, and that is that. I know that there were two other farang males who were also approved in the same batch as me.