Best Internet Bank

I have been using Thai Miltary Bank for awhile but their internet banking is now useless, at first it was ok even with there OTP requirement since they would send it via the internet.

Then they stopped sending it over the net, so now you have to use sms.Since we are in canada right now, we have to phone up my sister in law to get the sms on her phone(in country).

Now they have done something my wife can,t explain to me what we can,t even get the sms #. Add the fact that most times they are offline is another problem.All in all pretty bad.

So as you can see I need to know a reliable bank that has proper internet banking with out all the sms bullshit. Any suggestions???

I use both SCB and Bangkok Bank. As far as transactions they both seem to be equal. I get OTP via SMS. The Bangkok Bank server is much slower than SCB. However dealing with Bangkok is next to impossible and I only continue to use them because I have to. I get funds from the SSA in the US and Bangkok Bank is the only Bank in Thailand that can receive them. They come every month, I have to go to the bank to collect them, no internet or ATM allowed, I withdraw them from that account and deposit them into another BKB account that is accessable via internet, then immediately transfer the funds to SCB for any further transactions. I changed my mobile number, the one that I receive SMS, and it took over a month, 19messages, two phone calls with the manager of the branch (I live in a rural area) finally coming to my house to get my wife's signature on the application and it's not a joint account. When I showed him, he was on the phone because he didn't have a clue as to what he was doing. If I could I would close my accounts at BKB and never step inside one of their branches again. SCB is totally different, did my mobile change in ten minutes in the branch, and gets my vote. BKB is like dealing with a bank that is still in the 1960s.

I use both SCB and Bangkok Bank. As far as transactions they both seem to be equal. I get OTP via SMS. The Bangkok Bank server is much slower than SCB. However dealing with Bangkok is next to impossible and I only continue to use them because I have to. I get funds from the SSA in the US and Bangkok Bank is the only Bank in Thailand that can receive them. They come every month, I have to go to the bank to collect them, no internet or ATM allowed, I withdraw them from that account and deposit them into another BKB account that is accessable via internet, then immediately transfer the funds to SCB for any further transactions. I changed my mobile number, the one that I receive SMS, and it took over a month, 19messages, two phone calls with the manager of the branch (I live in a rural area) finally coming to my house to get my wife's signature on the application and it's not a joint account. When I showed him, he was on the phone because he didn't have a clue as to what he was doing. If I could I would close my accounts at BKB and never step inside one of their branches again. SCB is totally different, did my mobile change in ten minutes in the branch, and gets my vote. BKB is like dealing with a bank that is still in the 1960s.

I have had accounts with both SCB and Bangkok Bank for many years. Earlier this month I opened an internet account with SCB and it was a breeze. Everything was done in the branch within a few minutes. I was able to choose my own Login Name and password, and it works perfectly. I also applied for the re-establishment of an internet account with the Bangkok Bank. A 10-digit User ID (big nuisance) was emailed to me and I collected the 4-digit PIN, which needs to be changed to a password. The only problem is that I did not attempt to login for several days after travelling overseas, and two such attempts have failed. This also happened a few years ago when I established my first connection. Therefore, from the connectivity point of view, SCB Easy Net definitely gets my vote as well.

However, as far as transactions are concerned I prefer the Bangkok Bank to date. There is more flexibility with their fixed deposit accounts if you want to partially redeem funds before the due date, and I found it cheaper (USD) to establish a foreign currency account. Hopefully I will get the internet connection working (with the assistance of Daveroc from Bangkok Bank), to enable me to track international FC transfers.

I have used SCB for the past three years but they still use OTP via SMS if you need to add a new transfer/payment account.

I have actually just done this (made a payment to a newly added account) whilst in another country. Alll I did was put my Thai SIM in a phone to receive the OTP and take out again immediately afterwards. If you do not have the SIM then yes it becomes akward and if you need to change it you need to go to the branch with your passport.

I have found their internet banking very usable and quick however they are not infallible and as anothe rposter has pointed out they are currently down (or were) for some unknown reason - but that can happen with any service and is the first one I have been aware of.

I use both SCB and Bangkok Bank. As far as transactions they both seem to be equal. I get OTP via SMS. The Bangkok Bank server is much slower than SCB. .

We had a major upgrade on the backend platforms last month, so any slowness should be a thing of the past. Please PM me if you still experience slowness with iBanking as it may indicate another problem.

For those who have not already done so, we also recommend downloading the free PREVX software (see bangkokbank.com for details). This helps to prevent malware and to protect against Phishing which is a big problemf or all banks right now. Thank you.

Ian

I use both SCB and Bangkok Bank. As far as transactions they both seem to be equal. I get OTP via SMS. The Bangkok Bank server is much slower than SCB. .

We had a major upgrade on the backend platforms last month, so any slowness should be a thing of the past. Please PM me if you still experience slowness with iBanking as it may indicate another problem.

For those who have not already done so, we also recommend downloading the free PREVX software (see bangkokbank.com for details). This helps to prevent malware and to protect against Phishing which is a big problemf or all banks right now. Thank you.

Ian

I would gladly download the PREVX software if I could only get the system to accept my Username/PIN combination.

I have been registered with KTC for a few years now and have experienced very poor customer service. Lots of their forms are almost impossible to translate in English and my credit card payments online are often declined.

I am going to give Citibank a go. Has anybody used it? Any recommendations?

I have been registered with KTC for a few years now and have experienced very poor customer service. Lots of their forms are almost impossible to translate in English and my credit card payments online are often declined.

I am going to give CitiBank a go. Has anybody used it? Any recommendations?

Do you really want to lock yourself into a Thai Bank with only one branch ?

And will their ATM card be accepted at other Thai Banks as a "regional" card or will they treat it as a Foreign ATM card and hit you with 150 THB per transaction

I would investigate Citibank a lot more before you take the plunge. If you think that you can transfer funds from a US CitiBank account to a Thai CitiBank account you will be disappointed to find that you will still have to pay for a Wire (SWIFT) transfer. The only way you can transfer via EFTS, is if you have a Singapore CitiBank account

And don't even get me started on CitiBank's exchange rates

Ian

Yesterday it took me way over an hour to get a online verification code with BKB just to finalise an online ticket purchase with a local airline!

The dial in "for english press..." .. system has some nasty flaws, the ladies speaking the announcements, do so not clear enough, at least one with heavy thai undertones, then at the final point.... the system hung... after a long phone queue...the operator understood the problem and said she had it "fixed"... then I had to proceed from the beginning... nervewrecking, "press ....".... few anouncement's further: "press..." it's mind boggling why this proceedure is so lenghty and complicated.

And by the way, for which bank stays SCB - for Siam Commercial or Siam City?

Ian

Ian,

I just checked and can confirm that that conectivity is much faster than it used to be. Probably as fast as SCB. But my statement about Customer Service stands and realize the problems involved when dealing in different languages and cultures, but there is definitely room for improvement. I've already picked at Dave enough so I'll say no more.

The OP can stay with TMB if he wishes. Although it is not well publicised, they will send a small electronic security device to overseas customers needing to use the OTP feature. I have such a device in the UK, which was sent to me via DHL at TMB's expense.

See below an extract from a TMB e-mail:

OTP by SMS will not work with mobile phone system outside the country.

Therefore, the only one way to receive OTP is by using a token equipment.

It's used for generating OTP code instead of obtaining from e-Mail or SMS.

It's small, about the size of your thumb and easy to carry anywhere in your pocket.

By using this device, it will be even more convenient to use your Internet Banking.

However, we notice that you're living abroad while your address in our system

is in Thailand. So we need you to confirm whether the token should be sent to

which place.

If the device is preferred to be sent abroad, we need you to tell us your

address and telephone number.

We will take care of shipment cost. Whether domestic or international.

You won't be charged for this.

Sincerely yours

TMB

Edited by citizen33