German Resident Robbed At Gun Point In North Pattaya

Rimmer

As noted at that age and carrying 16,000 baht? Did he just get a ATM withdraw at that hour? His ATM card was given no mentioned if he was stupid enough to actually give the ATM pin number? Regardless, Thai aren't rocket scientist when it comes to crime but rocket scientist aren't BIB too? If he actually gave his pin and they got money? they can check the video from the location of the ATM or nearby banks to see the videos during that time frame. But in the end don't expect that to happen from the BIB since they are too busy giving out tickets to Farangs for not wearing a helment.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, having a MALE Thai friend accompany you to the police station in the early hours of morning? Smacks of some gay background here

Why? Don't you have any MALE friends or are you too homophobic? What is the world coming too when two men cannot be seen together without some rube putting one and one together and coming up with three.

** Besides, the article did not state the sex of the Thai friend that accompanied the Yerman to the cop shop.

EDIT: Add a point

Edited by KeyserSoze01

What kind of money do you normally take with you, 25 Baht?

I really don't understand the people complaining that the guy had 16.000 Baht with him and therefore this is his fault. It really isn't that strange or are you all really that poor?

Whats the big deal? People are getting mugged in every country on this planet.

I agree. A lone man, walking the streets in the early hours of the morning is surely an easy target.

Having said that, I feel safer in Thailand and yes, even Pattaya that I do in many other countries around the world, day or night.

I live in BKK, and have never been to Pattaya, so please excuse me for not knowing my way around. Often, in this forum, stories like these open the flood gates of some broad criticisms of Thailand. I certainly think armed robbery is the most dangerous situation, since it only takes a second to move to "homicide." Kudos to the person for having sense to hand it over and walk away.

i will venture to guess that Soi 16/1 off the Naklua Road is not a temple or meditation center. I will guess, it is a red light area.

So, before the Thai bashers get into overdrive, here is some adult advice. In other words, not really a Thai issue.

No matter what country you are in, or what continent...flashing around a sum of money equivalent to three month's wages after last call in the red light district is just plain stupid. That girl on the back of the bike? Hmmmm....do you think she might have noticed that rather attractive bulge in his pocket...and yes...I do mean 16,000 Baht. (plus the parting gift of a watch, phone and ATM card) Oh, and let me get this straight, he has 16,000 baht and is w-a-l-k-i-n-g alone in the dark Pure genius!

Sorry dude, if you are looking for sympathy, forget it...you went to the tiger cage in a suit made out of prime rib.

Ask (for it) and ye shall receive. At least he lived to tell the tale, I have lived in American cities where they would have eliminated the witness.

Naklua 16/1 is not red light district area, and carrying large amounts of money happens from time to time. He might have to pay something as rent or whatever the next day and withdrew the money from a ATM. Most transactions are in cash in thailand. I wouldn't say the man was stupid, mostly unlucky.

I lived a year in Pattaya, and felt more safe there than any big city in Europe.

I used to love flying to Thailand, to visit the friendliest nation in the world. It alarms me to see Thailand turning into a second Africa, where nobody seems to worry about our large and serious crimes

I'm living here for morethan ten years. Came to visit this country about 17 years ago and never had aserious problem you couldn't have abroad.

A German guy gotrobbed. That's already the end of the story. Have you ever heard what happenedto people from Asia in Europe or the States?

Your post is dedicatedto people that they shouldn't go to Africa, because you're one of those whomake it difficult to live there? Mai Kau Tchai u…………jap.gif

Very true....welcome to England, Asian kid robbed during the riots.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=327J3ISiVOU

As sad as I am this happened, I am strangely relived too.

In the sense, that this wasn't in Phuket.

Hopefully this doesn't allow the bashing brigade more ammunition towards telling the forum how bad they think Phuket is.

Where ever tourist go, there will always be a criminal element too.

Tourists are simply too tempting for some criminals.

No respect for your fellow man and a perceived quick route to riches leads to this.

Sadly these lowlifes are everywhere.

Bashing brigade ? May be just some guys living a bit longer in Phuket then you do. Be happy something like in this story

was not happend to you yet. Pattaya is not worse then Phuket and whereever there are tourists here in Thailand the scams

going on. Not quiet similar as in other countries....except from Italy maybe :rolleyes:

There are no robberies of ONLY tourists in Germany or jetski scams on the north sea or double prices for Asians....

have a great day, calm down and relax on our wonderful island.....hope you made it home alive...the traffic is a pain in the a55 :lol:

Have you ever been to Rio de Janeiro ?

Or just google scam Mallorca.

You are very naive to believe Thailand is worse than anywhere else tourists go.

Thailand does however have 2 major scams, that any one should know to avoid.

Mainly Tuk Tuk and jet ski.

Other than that, nothing out of the ordinary, that doesn't take place anywhere else.

Every tried buying a beer in Las Palmas ?

Obviously heavily overpriced if you don't know where to go.

Same as here.

As to your statements, if I was any calmer I would sleep.

Its too cold on the North Sea coast to attract tourists from all over the world.

The double prices does not only apply to caucasians, it applies equally to all non Thais.

So to say that we should use double price in Europe for only Asians, would be unfair, as all other races should be charged double too.

Just to get even huh ?

Hard pill to swallow for you, that relatively poor people charge perceived wealthy people more than they charge the locals is it ?

Not like when buying a car here, you pay double. Just go where ever they have printed menus in Thai and order from that.

Then you will get the local price.

If you think traffic is bad on Phuket, try Mumbai.

Seriously you need a reality check mate.

the inflamatory post the moderator removed was not written by ME ....but not easy to hold my fingers still after that noob-cra-p of

someone who is relativly new to Thailand and Phuket. I am living here since 12 years, speak a bit Thai and travelled the world before,

so I am not a total newbie and know what i am talking...you sir do obviously not B)

anyway have a great evening, hopefully without any accidents, burglaries, rapes or pickpockets. Must be good to be naive sometimes :jap:

What kind of money do you normally take with you, 25 Baht?

I really don't understand the people complaining that the guy had 16.000 Baht with him and therefore this is his fault. It really isn't that strange or are you all really that poor?

No one is "complaining" that he carries 16,000 Baht. We are suggesting that advertising that you have in your possession a life altering sum of money in a relatively dangerous setting makes you a target.

You see, it is not about us being poor. It is about other people who have, relatively speaking...very little money. You do know that the average Thai makes only a small handful of baht per day, yes? Less than you spend on few beers, dinner. This sum of money could rebuild a flooded house, purchase a new motorbike, or feed a Thai family for a heck of a long time.

Would you walk around your native city with $16,000 and flash it around? We do not like that this guy got robbed, and especially at the end of a gun. I guess we are saying that sometimes, people need to take responsibility for their actions, and flashing that kind of money is asking for a problem. This kind of irresponsible behavior increases crime against foreigners...that is why we are upset. It trains thieves that there is a chance that a foreigner walking alone at night near an "entertainment" area may be winning lottery ticket.

the inflamatory post the moderator removed was not written by ME ....but not easy to hold my fingers still after that noob-cra-p of

someone who is relativly new to Thailand and Phuket. I am living here since 12 years, speak a bit Thai and travelled the world before,

so I am not a total newbie and know what i am talking...you sir do obviously not B)

anyway have a great evening, hopefully without any accidents, burglaries, rapes or pickpockets. Must be good to be naive sometimes :jap:

To respond to your wild statements again.

Almost not worth the effort, since you make no sense at all.

I know it wasn't your post deleted, and I never said you had anything to do with the deleted post.

Why even bring that up ? Ran out of sensible statements ?

Noob now ? Just because I say Thailand is not worse for crime than any other tourist hot spot around the world ?

Mate, check the internet. Or even better, if you feel Thailand is the worlds center for crimes against tourists, why post it here?

I suggest going public in the media all around the world, warning people of this terrible place called Thailand.

You keep making Thailand, especially Phuket into this hub of crime.

Me for one, I have yet to be raped in any country in the world.

And common sense, dictates that you can avoid a lot of potential bad situations.

Avoid walking around on your own at 4 am springs to mind.

Sadly our German tourist found out too late.

And this goes all over the world, especially in tourist destinations and bigger cities.

Please by all means, PM me and explain what exactly is noobish about what I say.

Just because you have been here 3 years longer than me, doesn't make you any more of an expert than me.

Since I have turned all your arguments against you, I cant see why you just don't accept defeat.

Does anyone even know if the gun was real? It was probably plastic.

Either way, you have to be bit daft to be walking around at night carrying the equivalent of 2 months' wages, a mobile phone, a watch and an ATM card.

When I go out at night I have a couple of hundred Baht, a 10B coin for the bahtbus and my front door key. And that's it.

I used to love flying to Thailand, to visit the friendliest nation in the world. It alarms me to see Thailand turning into a second Africa, where nobody seems to worry about our large and serious crimes

Crime has always existed. Thanks to the internet and 24 hour news channels it is jut much more widely publicized.

Basically this should just be regarded as a warning to always keep your guard up and be extra careful when you have such high amounts of cash on your person.

The 16k baht are surprising.

Unless he just changed money or made a withdrawal from an ATM or someone had to pay out a debt to the man just earlier in the evening, I don't see why someone would carry that sum?

Could he have been observed doing that withdrawal?

Most old men in Pattaya can be observed doing their withdrawals.

Usually it's with under age boys at the back door.

I notice that the 'thai freind' is not named as girlfriend or wife. One can only speculate.

Moreover, the gender of the female on the motorcycle has to be viewed sceptically also.

Sounds like another Gunter the Grunter takes Lady Boy home after showing adequate cash and gets mugged as a consequence.

footnote: aged 4 having been shown how to tie shoe laces I learned my lesson. Obviously, Gunter wears slip ons and never mastered the art of life. Being german I could add war too but won't mention that as the cyber police who patrol the good Thai visa's space keeping us all tucked up nicely and free from thought or expression will accuse me embalming, enflaming and hen russling. The dreaded 'n' word. As in numpty.

If I had better things to do .............. that reminds me; the sewers need rinsing.

Later.

The 16k baht are surprising.

Unless he just changed money or made a withdrawal from an ATM or someone had to pay out a debt to the man just earlier in the evening, I don't see why someone would carry that sum?

Could he have been observed doing that withdrawal?

Most old men in Pattaya can be observed doing their withdrawals.

Usually it's with under age boys at the back door.

I notice that the 'thai freind' is not named as girlfriend or wife. One can only speculate.

Moreover, the gender of the female on the motorcycle has to be viewed sceptically also.

Sounds like another Gunter the Grunter takes Lady Boy home after showing adequate cash and gets mugged as a consequence.

footnote: aged 4 having been shown how to tie shoe laces I learned my lesson. Obviously, Gunter wears slip ons and never mastered the art of life. Being german I could add war too but won't mention that as the cyber police who patrol the good Thai visa's space keeping us all tucked up nicely and free from thought or expression will accuse me embalming, enflaming and hen russling. The dreaded 'n' word. As in numpty.

If I had better things to do .............. that reminds me; the sewers need rinsing.

Later.

all your questions would have been answered had you clicked on "Full story HERE" where there are pics of him and his male thai friend

maybe when you are done with the sewers you will have time to view the link

I'm living here for morethan ten years. Came to visit this country about 17 years ago and never had aserious problem you couldn't have abroad.

A German guy gotrobbed. That's already the end of the story. Have you ever heard what happenedto people from Asia in Europe or the States?

Your post is dedicatedto people that they shouldn't go to Africa, because you're one of those whomake it difficult to live there? Mai Kau Tchai u…………jap.gif

im so happy for you, but can see you dont know what you are talking about. where did I advise people not to come to South Africa,. As you can see people still come to Thailand even after all the stories thats been told, So that makes me think, is it you that dont want people visiting South Africa or Bangkok

All of the moronic comments about Pattaya-mostly by those who have neverbeen-just 2nd hand heresay.Bangkok is no better.Funny,I lived there and Jomtien for 15 months w/o incident and at least I can report in first person.

i will venture to guess that Soi 16/1 off the Naklua Road is not a temple or meditation center. I will guess, it is a red light area.

no, it is not a RLD.

Most of the sub-sois leading off Naklua Road down to the hotels and condos of Wong Amat have beer bars and such so yes, it probably would be considered an "entertainment" zone...but nothing like sois 6, 7, 8, Pattaya Land, or Bua Khow.

nah... maybe 2 or 3 bars near the main Naklua road, but most of the sois there don't have much bars, these sois are quiet, except for some small areas near the grand mirage.

Edited by manarak

"i will venture to guess that Soi 16/1 off the Naklua Road is not a temple or meditation center. I will guess, it is a red light area."

That neighborhood is not an area that farangs go to party and pick up chicks.

It's considered Pattays high end neighborhood, no?

High end hotels and condos with some restaurants and a few pubs.

Thailand is dangerous and is becoming more and more dangerous as time goes by. I believe it will soon be classified as a dangerous destination to travel to and countries will be forced to give warnings. Just as cigarette companies have to give health warnings and many people will ignore the warnings and learn the hard way.

I often warn that Thailand is dangerous and for some obsurd reason it seems to upset Londoners who like to hang around public toilets.

Thailand is dangerous and is becoming more and more dangerous as time goes by. I believe it will soon be classified as a dangerous destination to travel to and countries will be forced to give warnings. Just as cigarette companies have to give health warnings and many people will ignore the warnings and learn the hard way.

I often warn that Thailand is dangerous and for some obsurd reason it seems to upset Londoners who like to hang around public toilets.

Thailand is as dangerous as you make it, as with all other countries in the world! The 67 yo German was called a resident in the original piece, so would not be a tourist. Good chance that he lived near to the area he was mugged, being alone at that time of the morning. Whether he was carrying 16,000 Baht or 16 Baht, no one should be able to determine what was in his pocket/wallet, unless he was flashing it around, or as suggested earlier in this stream, he was observed making a withdrawal from an ATM.

Unfortunately, sh*t happens and it appears he was unlucky in the sense that he lost some money, a watch and a mobile. He can also think himself lucky that that was all he lost!

All of the moronic comments about Pattaya-mostly by those who have neverbeen-just 2nd hand heresay.Bangkok is no better.Funny,I lived there and Jomtien for 15 months w/o incident and at least I can report in first person.

Have to agree there. I've lived here over ten years and got my head split open in October with a blunt object and thrown semi conscious into a klong to drown. All because some hothead and his hiso father though i was just a tourist and how dare i not stand up for him from the seat i was in. Bangkok can be equally violent and not just on farangs. Violence between Thais is generally horrific to say the least. At least my little SOB will spend two years of his life in prison instead of Silpakorn University. I feel sorry for tourists who fall victim to these things, they have absolutely no chance of justice without close Thai friends at their side.