Bupa / Thai Ins / Royal Sunalliance

Krub

Hi,

Am considering Health Insurance cover and am hesitating between these three offers.

On the long term the big advantage of BUPA seems to be (for me) that if you join before 60, they garantee cover until death (no uper gae limit to cover)

As I am not that far yet, I have a few years where I can try other plans

Has anybody had good/bad experiences with any of these 3 companies especially as far as claims for hospital in-patient is concerned

Thanks

I have been using BUPA for the last 3 years but have not had to make any claims with them so can't advise there. There customer service has been excellant so far. Have been receiving 10% refunds each year because of no claims. My boss has it for himself and his family, one reason I selected it was this.

I've been insured by BUPA International for about 10 years. The only time I've been hospilitised in that period did not do them credit. Basically they told the hospital they'd guarantee payment only for a few days stay and then the hospital would have to re-apply for what turned out to be very short extensions each time. I was told by the hospital staff that BUPA was the worst insurance company they had to deal with. I ended paying for two days hospital stay myself so I could check out. To top this off BUPA failed to pay the hospital fees for six months.

Not impressed.

I've been insured by BUPA International for about 10 years. The only time I've been hospilitised in that period did not do them credit. Basically they told the hospital they'd guarantee payment only for a few days stay and then the hospital would have to re-apply for what turned out to be very short extensions each time. I was told by the hospital staff that BUPA was the worst insurance company they had to deal with. I ended paying for two days hospital stay myself so I could check out. To top this off BUPA failed to pay the hospital fees for six months.

Not impressed.

So, did you change to another agency?

If you have a bad experience claiming against your insurance company, you may well not be able to switch to another: a new policy probably won't cover you for pre-existing conditions, and if you've made a claim on the old policy then you've probably got some pre-existing conditions.

If you have a bad experience claiming against your insurance company, you may well not be able to switch to another: a new policy probably won't cover you for pre-existing conditions, and if you've made a claim on the old policy then you've probably got some pre-existing conditions.

They would accept it if it were corporate initiative to change the insurer, without your say. Even then you would have to make some noise.

Say, corporate changes the insurance supplier when your wife is 5 months pregnant.

I'm not going into other pre-existing conditions. Just an example.

BUPA and other insurers - basically, you hardly ever get anything from them as they have set the treshold at 3000B. Most of the services are less expensive than that. Unless you are in a serious health trouble.

Well, that's what insurance is for but ordinary attention you might need is largely uncovered.

One poster above said he was getting "no-accident" refunds. What does that mean? He might be paying 30-40K baht and get 4000K back. Really, what can you get for 100US$ per month in insurance?

I can tell you, the most comprehensive insurance is about 1000US$ per month. Anything less than that means less (if at all) of refunds.