What On Earth Is Going On With The Police In Bkk?

HardenedSoul

Lately, the Feds have been pulling everyone and everything on Sukhumvit for no readily-apparent reason. Is there some sort of "crackdown" going on or is it just because they're low on readies for Christmas. I've been accosted twice whilst walking home with my groceries. Both times I was asked where I'm from and as soon as I told them, they just smiled, apologised and vanished. I wouldn't mind so much but they know EXACTLY who I am and where I'm from since they've pulled me untold times over the last 4 years I've lived on Sukhumvit.

I accept that this is part of life here and I suspect that, most of the time, they are, indeed, just doing their jobs but recently, I've found myself seeking justification for their attentions.

Edited by Crossy
Removed derogatory for police.

Pattaya as well. Have heard from more than a few police that foreign drivers are high % targets because they say that more than half are driving without licenses, and when that fails, they can always 'check down' to other issues like the usual registration/tax tags, etc.

:)

I actually feel safer that the is more police around and they should be doing more checks especially since they are lots of foreigner overstayers and also a lot os sinister foreigners in Bangkok these days. Plus they have been reports of house break-ins in many areas conducted by South American and Romanian Groups. (Thai Rath ). Plus do not forget all those black drug dealers in Soi 3 and 4. Anyway the checks are not confined to Bangkok alone but also here in Soi Aree, we also see it and also in Lardphrao, Ratchada and Silom, bot night and also daytime.

I think that as long as the police are not doing anything wrong themselves, we should applaud and encourage them. In fact I think they should also be doing random checks at offices and companies as there are lots of foreigners who are working without relevant work permits etc.

Although many people here have been hardened to feel a particular way towards the boys in tight brown, the recent upgrade in police checks can only be a positive considering the crime that has been festering among foreign criminal gangs. I for one do not mind being asked questions by the boys in tight brown if they can minimize the parasitic pestilence that has been seeping into the city at an alarming rate.

I think that as long as the police are not doing anything wrong themselves, we should applaud and encourage them. In fact I think they should also be doing random checks at offices and companies as there are lots of foreigners who are working without relevant work permits etc.

What world are you living in? What do you mean "as long as the police are not doing anything wrong"?

Do you not know what the police get up to in Thailand?

Pray please enlighten me. I have stayed almost 19 years now in LOS and have never even once had a problem with the police, so either I am stupid or naive as to what is going on. As long as you do not do anything wrong.....and do not associate with the wrong people, you have nothing to fear.

I have been helped on a number of occasions by the boys in brown to get a taxi when it was raining and none would stop. All I did was ask where I could I get a taxi to stop. Even then a few just sped away, but eventually I did secure a taxi thanks to their help. I think it is a situation of how one presents themselves here. And I have yet to have any issues with them. In fact any time there was something amiss, they were helpful.

<br />I actually feel safer that the is more police around and they should be doing more checks especially since they are lots of foreigner overstayers and also a lot os sinister foreigners in Bangkok these days. Plus they have been reports of house break-ins in many areas conducted by South American and Romanian Groups. (Thai Rath ). Plus do not forget all those black drug dealers in Soi 3 and 4. Anyway the checks are not confined to Bangkok alone but also here in Soi Aree, we also see it and also in Lardphrao, Ratchada and Silom, bot night and also daytime.<br /><br />I think that as long as the police are not doing anything wrong themselves, we should applaud and encourage them. In fact I think they should also be doing random checks at offices and companies as there are lots of foreigners who are working without relevant work permits etc.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Doesnt it strike you odd that, you know where all the crims are but the police dont?

Be careful of the ones that look sinister!

It's such a serious offense to look sinister, Vincent Hahahahahahaaaaa

Whooosh

When I do not feel safe in this country it is always because cops are around !

Actually they only are a problem in Bkk, and they never make problems with their stupid checks anywhere else in Thailand, except if you drive a motorcycle.

I agree with the OP and people who don't do not know what they are talking about.

This is because there has been a lot of bomb threats and scares in Bangkok and the police have been put on high alert.

The stop at random is extra security measures. They will pull up anyone they consider as suspicious and looking or a bit shifty.

They’re only doing their job, a good one at that.

never been bothered by the police yet luckily, however when i do go out we often have friends in our circle who are police.

had several at our wedding, nice guys actually, there really are some crooked ones about thats for certain.

being stopped for no reason would bug me a little, for a moment.

Oh come on,Thai police are dodgy as F@+*,you cant tell me you been here 19 years and not worked that one out.Dont belive you.My wife's first husband was a policeman.A hopeless drunk,who drunk himself to death at a young age.Belive me drug dealing is only the tip of iceberg for cops,this guy was paid to KILL, off duty work so to speak.

You must be living in cloud cuckoo land.

I thought it wise to refer back to the OP before commenting.

It appears that the police are being extra-vigilent in the run-up to the New Year bomb season, and he has been stopped several times by the police. In each case, they asked him for some superficial personal details, even though he is apparently well known to the police, and sent him on his way with a polite greeting. Perhaps he is not so well-known to the police as he likes to think he is, and his image is not posted in the local station, nor has his notoriety spread throughout the force.

Others have speculated that they may be collecting bribes, though apparently not from the OP, and no-one has commented on an increase in 'on the spot' fines in this pre-bomb season.

Maybe the OP comes from quite a quiet town...

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

:rolleyes:

It's been in the Thai and English newspapers.

It's all a response to those fake bombs left at various locations in Bangkok.

They also have announced the possibility that there will be other attempts made during the upcoming Christmas/New Years holiday season.

That's why the police are doing extra random checks.

Just for the record I can recall being stopped about 1 a.m. on my way to my hotel in 1979...my first trip to Thailand....with my chosen female-companion-for-the-night on Sukhumvit Road.

So such random stops are not a new thimg.

If you are going to be here dueing the upcoming Chinese New Year period...I would expect the same also.

:D

The only judge of ones experience is you. I have never had a problem with the police in Thailand and have been helpful on a few ocassions. Never seen any drug deals going down, not my thing. So I can only judge from my own experience and what affects me.

Perhaps he is not so well-known to the police as he likes to think he is, and his image is not posted in the local station, nor has his notoriety spread throughout the force.

Others have speculated that they may be collecting bribes, though apparently not from the OP, and no-one has commented on an increase in 'on the spot' fines in this pre-bomb season.

Maybe the OP comes from quite a quiet town...

SC

Why anyone would "like" to be well-known to the Thai police I'll leave to others to speculate upon but my avatar should provide sufficient clues as to the er ... serenity of my "town".

Let me guess OP you are being stopped somewhere in Thong Lo area? They are notorious for pestering farang. That said, the goal always seems to be finding a way to get a small amount of money off of you rather than something more sinister. It's not like you are a black teenager being harassed by skinhead police officers in Central LA. Funny thing is that the times they have stopped me with my wife she will just say the baby is sick we are going to the doctor and they let you go fairly quickly. Oh yeah my wife also always tells me to slow down when you see them on the road because if you do not it makes you look guilty. One good way to look at it is that the Thong Lo police seems to have no shortage of officers and seems like should respond to a call more quickly than a more suburban outfit.

Of course, living in the US at the moment one of the nicer things is knowing in my little town I can call 911 and in a few minutes the area will be swarming with red and blue lights and professionally trained and honest officers will be at our disposal.

Let me guess OP you are being stopped somewhere in Thong Lo area? They are notorious for pestering farang. That said, the goal always seems to be finding a way to get a small amount of money off of you rather than something more sinister. It's not like you are a black teenager being harassed by skinhead police officers in Central LA

:lol: Cheers for the laugh, farang000999 - made my morning. Actually, I am Afro-Caribbean but although it'd be easy to identify that as the reason for being stopped, I prefer not to as I've seen them stop many white people too and subject them to far more of an inconvenience than they have me.

Not quite Thong Lo though - more the stretch of Sukhumvit between Villa Supermarket and Asoke.

I've been accosted twice whilst walking home
they know EXACTLY who I am and where I'm from since they've pulled me untold times over the last 4 years I've lived on Sukhumvit.

So, how many times have they actually stopped you? :blink: Obviously there must be a reason for this.