New Style Forum Layout

cardholder

When posting a reply I will get a blank page instead of getting a confirmation or being directed to the post I just made.

What browser and version are you using?

I too have noticed post upgrade that the lag time between hitting the POST button and the actual process being completed seems to be VERY slow... much slower than before...

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

would any kind soul please tell me how to find my private messages? angry.gif

post-566-0-74514100-1324639289_thumb.jpg

That tiny icon -- shaded gray on a dark gray background, is really NOT very visible.

It appears the same PM function can be reached by mousing over your member name in the upper right hand top corner of any page, and then choosing "Personal Messenger" from that pull-down box.

Likewise, it now appears that when you reply to a post that has an image like a photo embedded in it, the image gets dropped out from the reply post.... I don't think that used to happen like that before.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Forgive me, but I'm not going to read thru all 10+ pages of this thread.... I have done about 4 pages so far...

But I will offer a suggestion... How about TV prepare and post a single page printable user guide summary to the new software implementation highlighting the main new and/or different features???

I thought that was what this thread was for. Why the need to duplicate threads when it makes it that much harder for admin to then have to read multiple threads to find bug reports and constructive suggestions ? Seems illogical to me.

Forgive me, but I'm not going to read thru all 10+ pages of this thread.... I have done about 4 pages so far...

But I will offer a suggestion... How about TV prepare and post a single page printable user guide summary to the new software implementation highlighting the main new and/or different features???

good idea and once we get it all ironed out, I will try to get that done, but for now, some features will change so its best if people report issues here, thanks.

Sorry if this has been dealt with but I have been up country for a week and arrived back to find that all the email notifications on my followed forums ceased 3 days ago.

I have been into my settings and have ticked a load of email 'notification' options so hopefully this has solved the problem. I will have to wait and see.

However, in the past, all the bugs with notifications drying up have eventually been fixed by admin and the old stuff has eventually come through without me having to do anything. So I am wondering if the old stuff will come through eventually, or will I have to go looking for it?

Sorry if this has already been dealt with, if so, please show me the link.

Thanks

I'm not fond of the new lay-out but being married to a Thai lady I'm used to being ignored so won't bother with adding any of my comments. wink.png

Just one point I'd like to make about the blocking of subheadings. It has beenmentionedd before but I think it's worth bringing up again.

I just posted "Buying land in your child's name" with the subheading "What if the child dies first"

Obviously there have been many threads about "Buying land in your child's name" that have covered all the angles so without the subheading providing more specific information many people will just scroll past the subject.

Unless the main heading can have more characters toalloww more detailed information about the subject the subheading should be allowed to stay.

biggrin.png

I'm still not sure why the old format needed to be changed, or how this new format is an improvement?

Edit - I appreciated knowing immediately (from the 'user' screen on the left), when the poster joined TV. This info has now gone. Why?

I also find the 'Hot' icon extremely annoying!

You have been a member since 21 04 2008. It's all there, I just hovered over your screen name.

I had to reset all my notification options as the change threw them out. I'm still not sure I'm receiving email notifications as per my settings. Using Firefox 3.625.

I'm using the latest version of FF, ver. 8...

When I realized I wasn't getting any notification emails post upgrade, I went into my TV settings menu, and likewise, all my email prior notification preferences had been erased. Once I re-entered those values, I started receiving notification emails again.

Confirmed. Some settings were lost with the upgrade. Not a big deal, as long as you know about it.

I'm not fond of the new lay-out but being married to a Thai lady I'm used to being ignored so won't bother with adding any of my comments. wink.png

Just one point I'd like to make about the blocking of subheadings. It has beenmentionedd before but I think it's worth bringing up again.

I just posted "Buying land in your child's name" with the subheading "What if the child dies first"

Obviously there have been many threads about "Buying land in your child's name" that have covered all the angles so without the subheading providing more specific information many people will just scroll past the subject.

Unless the main heading can have more characters toalloww more detailed information about the subject the subheading should be allowed to stay.

biggrin.png

Just put the relevant info in the thread name. I never understood the idea of subheadings anyway.

Two issues:

(1) In the list of forum thread titles (e.g. http://www.thaivisa....m-support-desk/, there is no option to jump to a page higher than "Next." In the old version there were options to jump to 1, 2, 3, 4, ... last, next. Now, just "Next"

(1a) Related: clicking on "Load more topics" doesn't seem to be functional

(2) Going to a user's profile to view their posts only shows five posts. (Presumably it shows that five more recent posts, but not sure)

MIssed this one in the masses.

1. If you click on the text bit where it says [Page x of y] a small popup will appear and you can jump to any page. This should be the same for all paging controls on the forum.

1a. It works fine here, is it still not working for you? It takes a little while to load though, so if you are on a very slow connection it might be better to use the paging instead and load a new page.

Apparently, the display of different page number "jump to" links is different in different areas?

While reading this forum topic, for example, I see what I prefer:

post-33251-0-18968200-1324852775_thumb.j

Whereas on the forum index list of topics, it is:

post-33251-0-81357000-1324852191_thumb.j

I prefer being able to open multiple tabs in the background while staying on a single page. e.g. In Opera, I can hold the <ctrl> key and click, click, click on pages 11,12,13, etc, and they open in the background while I can remain on the original page. (Did that make sense?)

The "Load more topics" now works as advertised. When I originally posted, it did not. Gremlins?

Another NEW suggestion:

When using the Reply/Quote feature, can you re-instate the padding at the bottom so that when posted there is a "margin" below the quote and the reply? I did not start this reply with a blank space, and see how it is jammed up against the quote?

[sorry for the amount of edits I had to make. I seriously screwed up on the .jpg images.]

Edited by wpcoe

Any comment on the issue I brought up, the blocking out of displaying the subheadings? If that is the new design, why don't you disable the function to write them in the first place? Then people would at least be forced to make the ONE heading as informative as possible.

This is planned for next software release.

What is planned exactly? Showing the subheadings as before, or disabling the entry field for the subheadings when posting?

Continue showing subheadings for old threads, but disabling entry field for new topics. As you mentioned it's better with one subject line. But that change will be in February.

Color me confused, but what blocking of subheadiings is currently occurring? I still see subheadings on the forum index page which lists thread titles and sub-titles. Or, is a "subheading" something else?

e.g. This thread was started yesterday, well after the new forum software cut-over, and still shows the sub-title:

post-33251-0-50026800-1324853840_thumb.j

Okay, further to my request to add padding beneath the box of quoted text in a reply, can you remove the padding beneath the "title" line of each sub-quote.

e.g. In my post just prior to this one, remove the padding space beneath each "george, on ..." and "Jingthing, on ..." line.

New problem. When doing a post it defaulted to a small font size. I then upped the size to 18, but it still looks small. Refer to SBK's thread on the waves for the example. Now doing new post here back to normal and I have changed nothing. IE8 with Vista (work laptop).

Generally noticing things are on the improve though.

Cheers

This may have been mentioned .

When you click on the smiley you get 19 emoticons appear but still no smiley! so you then need to click on "show all"

would be quicker if the smiley and sad emoticon appear in the first 19 displayed since they are you used the most

Also, after I make a post the page scrolls up slightly but not enough to see the post itself to check it

Edited by Hooters

Just found another problem.

To attach a file I had to go to "More Reply Options" options but then got the error message "The number of opening quote tags does not match the number of closing quote tags" and was not able to post sad.png

post-35075-0-78965000-1324863501_thumb.j

Just to be clear this error message is from the origional post not not from my reply :-)

Edited by Daffy D

Just found another problem.

To attach a file I had to go to "More Reply Options" options but then got the error message "The number of opening quote tags does not match the number of closing quote tags" and was not able to post sad.png

post-35075-0-78965000-1324863501_thumb.j

Just to be clear this error message is from the origional post not not from my reply :-)

That error is actually because you have more than 4 nested quotes.