I Got Lucky

wjmark

I live in Chiangmai. This is my first visit to Pattaya. I saw a sign on Klang that said 99bt Thai massage. So I went in!

The woman who I got is so good I want to recommend her. I have already had 4 two-hour massages this past week with her.

A very therapeutic touch. I even let her do deep head and neck work. Very skilled.

Her name is K. Duan (or Duwaan), and she works at Eden Massage on South side of Klang about 100meters east of 2nd road.

They have a 'special' on these days. 99bt /hour, so a 2 hour massage is super cheap (please tip her well if she does very good work).

I have had lots and lots of Thai massage over the decades, and have studied it, and so on ...

I think K. Duan is very good.

Cheers,

Mark

ps I have no reason to assume that the other women's massages are anything other than ordinary.

Thanks for the info.

As you have studied massage techniques, can I ask a couple of questions:

I'm doing quite a bit of running at the moment, 6-7 times per week on a treadmill. Quite often my leg muscles get a bit stiff (particularly the calf muscles) and generally tired. I'm 48 so this is probably to be expected.

Do you reckon a post-run massage would help reduce tiredness in my legs ? (I've read different reports on this).

If so, could you recommend a "type" of massage as there seem to be several options available.

Simon

Thanks for the info.

I'm doing quite a bit of running at the moment, 6-7 times per week on a treadmill. Quite often my leg muscles get a bit stiff (particularly the calf muscles) and generally tired. I'm 48 so this is probably to be expected.

Do you reckon a post-run massage would help reduce tiredness in my legs ? (I've read different reports on this).

If so, could you recommend a "type" of massage as there seem to be several options available.

Simon

Interesting question.

Just my opinion, of course. And I am NOT a professional massage guy - I am a professional Pilates instructor.

I like massage just about anytime. I spent the last two winters alternating between two thai massage people almost every morning in my home. 1 1/2 hrs/day 5 days/wk... 7:00am good morning!!!

So my feeling is that you work towards having a foot and calf massage every day. Or even more often if you are up to it.. And a full Thai massage (mostly lower body/legs) a few times a week. Start slowly!

After exercise? It depends. You don't want to make or promote an injury. So an incredibly deep fiber-ripping massage on your calves after running a marathon might be a bit much.  But a long slow-touch gravity-oriented release massage after a workout - sure.

As far as calves go, they are a strong nasty tight little muscle group. They can take a lot of punishment. And they need a lot of (proper and safe) stretching and mobility work. So the more time you put into them, the better.

If  you do have them massaged after running, keep it gentle and long and slow. In Thailand, just tell the therapist you want to 'sleep' - they understand!

A fantastic idea is to have a foot massage pad that you stand on or can walk on. I always recommend to my students that they use them regularly. I have seen some amazing results with people just standing and walking on these pads (some of these pads are like walking on uneven golf-balls, and others have smaller bumps and ridges. All good). Necks release, hips align, legs straighten and relax. Good for your calves.

And a little trick you might try is to keep the calves warmed up all the time. And by warmed up, I mean warm! Dancers often wear thick leggings just to keep the muscles loose and limber. Try sleeping with sweat-pants on, and start a careful calf-stretching routine (including the whole leg of course), and do it regularly throughout the day. Things might change very quickly!

I teach Pilates in Chiangmai, but I am down here on holidays.  If anyone has any questions PM me - I'll be glad to reply. Cheers, Mark

Cheers Mark, thanks for all of the advice.

I'll certainly try out the light calf massages as I think thats a good way to start. Perhaps the lower body Thai massages if that goes well.

I also like the sound of the massage pads for your feet.

Enjoy your holiday,

Simon

Thanks for the info.

Simon

I would assume that you do quite a bit of stretching after you are finished with the treadmill, yes? Why do you do that? BECAUSE your muscles are still strained and hot and need relaxing and of course, you know that your muscles will continue to burn energy for at least another 1-2 hours after you finish your training.

so this should answer your question about the kind of massage you could get after training: first, you need to wait 1-2 hours to allow your muscles to relax and then you need a massage for relaxation with slow and flowing movements but NOT a traditional Thai body or foot massage. The acupressure from such massages could cause considerable pain or even damage to your muscles while still hot from your training.

Thanks for the info.

Simon

You're over-training. Cutting back on your running is your best option.

If you can't rest, then choose different exercises to substitute for your running so you get more rounded strength/fitness.

I would assume that you do quite a bit of stretching after you are finished with the treadmill, yes? Why do you do that? BECAUSE your muscles are still strained and hot and need relaxing and of course, you know that your muscles will continue to burn energy for at least another 1-2 hours after you finish your training.

so this should answer your question about the kind of massage you could get after training: first, you need to wait 1-2 hours to allow your muscles to relax and then you need a massage for relaxation with slow and flowing movements but NOT a traditional Thai body or foot massage. The acupressure from such massages could cause considerable pain or even damage to your muscles while still hot from your training.

To be honest I don't tend to stretch at all after a run, or before it for that matter.

What I tend to do at the moment is: at the week-ends I will run for about an hour in the mornings and then once I have reached target distance/time, I'll reduce the treadmill to walking pace and then wait for my heart rate to drop over the next 2-3 mins. Then I'll walk back to the condo, have a long hot bath and then eat. Difference during the week is a run for slightly less time, say 40-45 mins, but faster and then have a quick shower and eat.

If I'm in Pattaya then I would like to try a massage, either 2-3 hrs after the run i.e. as you suggest, and as both Mark and yourself point out, it needs to be a gentle, soothing approach, rather than a 'kneading' the muscle type.

Thanks for the advice.

Simon

You're over-training. Cutting back on your running is your best option.

If you can't rest, then choose different exercises to substitute for your running so you get more rounded strength/fitness.

Thanks for the input but at present I don't think I'm over-training. Perhaps I over-stated how my legs feel in the original post, the stiff-ness and tiredness isn't assocated with any pain and certainly don't stop me running. I tend to think its more a by-product of the actual running itself than a problem (at the moment).

I'm up to about 60 km a week now and will try and increase to about 70 over the next month. I'm going to have a bash at a 10K run in April in BKK and I'm aiming to get as close to 40 mins as possible. After that, it's the Pattaya marathon in July wacko.png .

I am getting a bit bored of the TR though and plan to start mixing in some runs outside next month. Though that also has its problems.

Thanks for the info.

Simon

infantile post # 2