Unlearn Your Pain

DavidOxon

One of the world's leading back pain therapists will be teaching a seminar here at Sunshine Massage School this time next year.

She will want some volunteers to demonstrate her (remarkably gentle) method. She may also have time for some private clients.

She permanently fixed my lifelong back pain.

Wish I could recommend something more timely!

Just don't try Chiropractors...or Osteopaths....and def not Thai massages!

from personal experience......

You weren't so happy with the way things ended?

Well only the Chiropractors and Osteopaths were for the back and neck. They didn't help at all. The clicking and cracking sounds like it is helping, but really, when u think about it, it seems risky having people forcefully crack your back and neck. I think it has the potential for greater damage. Really, a very expensive type of massage. Only took me a couple of years to realise.laugh.png (Thai massags are just painful in general)

My back became better through three main ways.

1. I developed better posture when sitting, lifting, walking.

2. I de-stressed/relaxed.

3, Passage of time coupled with the above

The good things was, the techniques that worked were free!

One of the world's leading back pain therapists will be teaching a seminar here at Sunshine Massage School this time next year.

She will want some volunteers to demonstrate her (remarkably gentle) method. She may also have time for some private clients.

Care to share a name or more info? I'm very interested in this. Thank you.

Just don't try Chiropractors...or Osteopaths....and def not Thai massages!

from personal experience......

I think back pain is a very different thing for each sufferer. I went to orthopedists for several years, an osteopath who gave some relief, then wound up with a chiropractor who worked my neck exclusively - and the low back pain went away. I have since found the benefits of massage in keeping many of those very small supporting muscles in the back loose. I have a traditional Thai masseuse who, if I tell her where the problem is, goes away from the usual Thai massage and provides localized massage to the problem area. Bottom line = whatever works. I have heard horror stories from all corners, but have also heard of successes. For me, muscles in spasm were the problem, and by understanding that I now alter my body mechanics when I begin to experience pain. Back pain can originate from muscles, an impinged nerve, a cracked vertebra, so it is important to treat with caution - but again, not to arbitrarily rule a particular treatment style out.

Thanks WTK

have read the first chapter

read Dr Sarno's book yesterday 'Healing Back Pain'

Just looking for something with a more practical/structured approach to resolution smile.png

david

Sarno's method is more based on the unconscious 'accepting' that the fact you may have DDD etc. does not cause the pain - once the conscious mind 'understands and accepts' this the unconscious stops/reduces the pain which is a reaction to stress/emotional stuff. So Sarno doesn't put much 'practical', this is what you do, things in the book as his whole methodology is 'acceptance brings change' (which is 90% of hypnosis).

Erickson (Milton) used 'stories' with embedded metaphor to induce change so, one might say, there was nothing 'practical' in his methodology yet he was astoundingly effective.

i'd like to go along - can i go on the mailing list?

I had back pain for 10 years, when it comes to back pain everyone has a solution and everyone is a bit of an expert. In the end what worked for me was Pilates. They have it here which is a bit of a surprise but I can't vouch for the quality of teaching.

What's her name?

I need to try these alternatives. Dr Ken (after two exhaustive and painful sessions) said he could fin nothing wrong with my back (have been 50% bed bound for 2 years) Looking for info on mindbody stuff as it seems

the pain in my body is caused by my mind and its subsets!

(Massage? yeah, we all know where that leads, even with the best intentions... allegedly) :)

Crappy new year to all :)

David