Importing And Old Porsche

BuffaloRescue

Hi

I want to import a 1978 Porsche into Thailand.

I bought this for 15k sterling. It cost around $38,000 new in 1978

How can i import it and what figure is tax payable on and how much tax is payable?

What is involved in importing this? I currently have a Thai business visa.

What if i sell it on? Do i have to pay further taxes?

Thanks

How can i import it and what figure is tax payable on and how much tax is payable?

However much immigration state they want. If you don't pay, it'll go to auction and you get nothing.

In order to register it for green book...... I don't know. Don't think anyone has ever done it with a happy outcome unless they weren't even concerned with how much it would cost.

Immigration has nothing to say about it, The Thai Royal Customs Department has the say and I am sure that they will want the proverbial arm and a leg to allow it into Thailand

And what kind of visa you have means nothing, you will pay what they feel it is worth, and as stated, if you don't like it they will be more than happy to sell it at auction

And Yes, if you do pay the tax and import it and sell it later on, you would be liable for any profit you made on the sale which would be based upon the value as set by Customs

I would strongly suggest you have a good read of all the posts on this forum concerning importing vehicles .

General concensus don't try unless you have more money than you can shake a stick at , and are still prepared to lose all , as could happen .

If it was easy we all would import some nice flash sports car .

When it arrives at customs, some corrupt guy will take a shining to it and tax it to hell knowing you wont pay the ridiculous sum and it will go to auction. Then a predetermined buyer will be there to snap it up for peanuts.

Save yourself money,headaches and a crap load of paperwork and buy a locally made car.

Immigration has nothing to say about it, The Thai Royal Customs Department has the say and I am sure that they will want the proverbial arm and a leg to allow it into Thailand

And what kind of visa you have means nothing, you will pay what they feel it is worth, and as stated, if you don't like it they will be more than happy to sell it at auction

And Yes, if you do pay the tax and import it and sell it later on, you would be liable for any profit you made on the sale which would be based upon the value as set by Customs

first of all you need an Importlicence, issued to Non IMM visa holders only, so visa matters

you must have owned it for minimum 18 months and had DL for it in ownershipcountry same period

importduty is applicabel, so is 50% excicetax on cars value and duty

search in Phuket gazette FAQ, to get a guide on the importlicence

first of all you need an Importlicence, issued to Non IMM visa holders only, so visa matters

you must have owned it for minimum 18 months and had DL for it in ownershipcountry same period

importduty is applicabel, so is 50% excicetax on cars value and duty

search in Phuket gazette FAQ, to get a guide on the importlicence

I may be mistaken,but I think the import license is only needed for new cars.

In order to register it for green book...... I don't know.

Please be reminded that cars get a blue book and motor bikes get a green one.

registering isnt a problem, once you have paid all taxes. asymetric LHD headlights may not be allowed, the rest should pass as TH accepts E, DOT and unmarked

In order to register it for green book...... I don't know.

Please be reminded that cars get a blue book and motor bikes get a green one.

registering isnt a problem, once you have paid all taxes. asymetric LHD headlights may not be allowed, the rest should pass as TH accepts E, DOT and unmarked

As he paid 15k sterling for it may be RHD and a nice ride for any trips back home wether UK or US.(if US Dollars).

$38,000 new in 1978--my guess is either the 930 turbo or 928 (porsche's attempted top of the line at the time).

Sounds like a big risk. There have not been many happy stories about importing a car. And the import permit applies both to new and used cars.

Other big issue I would see would be the emissions. I know for a bike they have to pass the current year emissions test. Don't think that a 1978 (which probably has carbs) will do it.

Someone comes along and asks this question quite often... Always the same replies, but does anyone actually know of anyone that has imported a car, or is it just all hearsay and people repeating what they have read previously?

Someone comes along and asks this question quite often... Always the same replies, but does anyone actually know of anyone that has imported a car, or is it just all hearsay and people repeating what they have read previously?

It boils down to, if you've got the cash and don't mind being totally ripped off, you can do it.angry.png

It boils down to, if you've got the cash and don't mind being totally ripped off, you can do it.angry.png

I know bike and car importers. By being connected its doable. A one off comes at a bunch of documents and waiting at uncertain price. The initial import lisence takes months, before shipping, then the haggling and hassle starts

• 3 months later...

Some people say they have done it but don't say what the vehicle/spec/age is or how much which would help everybodysmile.png .

I can't recall reading any successful story but read al least few that failed and ended up walking away. Not worth it!

It would have to be easier registering it in Cambodia and bringing it here on a vehicle passport. Take a run up to Poipet every 3 months to keep it legal.

If it's doable, it would be a great idea as most need to do boarder runs anyways.

Some people say they have done it but don't say what the vehicle/spec/age is or how much which would help everybodysmile.png .

I can't recall reading any successful story but read al least few that failed and ended up walking away. Not worth it!

I imported a motorbike here, 20 year old Yamaha XS1100S, and had it all done legally. Ended up paying I think 80,000 Baht at customs. I'm not sure about the amount anymore, but do recall it was about my estimated value.

All in all I would not do it again. too expensive.

It would have to be easier registering it in Cambodia and bringing it here on a vehicle passport. Take a run up to Poipet every 3 months to keep it legal.

If it's doable, it would be a great idea as most need to do boarder runs anyways.

Keeping a car here on vehicle passport is clearly circumventing the law, as they are meant for people visiting with their car - not for keeping a car here permanently. So if someone choose to do it this way they should consider what they are going to do if some day they are no longer allowed to take the car back to Thailand.

Sophon

I imported a motorbike here, 20 year old Yamaha XS1100S, and had it all done legally. Ended up paying I think 80,000 Baht at customs. I'm not sure about the amount anymore, but do recall it was about my estimated value.

I have a feeling importing bikes is different from cars. I've read many cases of folks importing bikes, but can't recall anything good about cars.

I have a feeling importing bikes is different from cars. I've read many cases of folks importing bikes, but can't recall anything good about cars.

Maybe it all depends on if custom guys like what you're importing...if not,they may just let you have it...for the fee of course smile.png