Spirit Houses/ Household Shrines

petercallen

We are having a couple of spirit shrines installed and i am not allowed to place them myself

This bloke came to the house and will be returning to install them with lots of rings on his fingers

and amulets around his neck, He is not a Buddhist monk or it seems of any other one religion

I looked up a Thai/ english dictionary for the words Witch doctor and shaman but they were not there

so i found the word witch craft, which i showed Mrs PCA and told me that is what he is

He said his fee was 9 baht plus what we were willing to give

Has anyone had this type of shrine installed by a shaman and how much did you pay him

9 baht plus do you mean 9000 baht ++ ?

Seem abit steep if you are paying 9k just for his workmanship but the number 9 suppose to be a lucky number for Thais.

We ever hired a shaman and all he ask for was pay what you are willing to give into a white envelope and handover to him after the ritual.

Ended paying 5k for his work.

As stevenl said if the whole event is handle by your missus just let her handle it. Every shaman commands a different rate.

Some Thais are even paying more than 20k a pop.

Edited by ShopBoy

If he does it, your wife (and maybe you too, not sure) will have a much better chance of winning the lottery.

At least according to my wife.

I'd pay him, but get his phone number, it might be worth something once the lottery winnings start coming in.

• Like 1

Funny enough, the shamans are meant to be Hindu, usually an Indian.

I had one do my spirit house. Don't get involved.

You will also have to pay for a small feast which is first offered to the deity. You can then eat it after the ceremony is done.

I payed one, or two thousand baht (or, rather that's what the missus asked me for).

Interestingly, the shaman told us that our spirit is a Muslim with lots of wives. This is actually good as we don't have to offer spirits, or, expensive types of fruit.

I made the mistake of asking what happened if we sub-divided the land and someone put up another spirit house, where would that new spirit come from.

I just got a withering look from the shaman.

This is a ritual done mainly by some poeple from Phang Nha,its suposed to give you good luck ,and keep the bad spirits off your land...

if you look on the side of some of the roads around Phuket you will see many discarded spirit houses...these have been thrown away because they were bad luck..and many superstisious Thais by new ones to replace them..it is Thai SPERSTITION..OR WITCHCRAFT...

Funny enough, the shamans are meant to be Hindu, usually an Indian.

I had one do my spirit house. Don't get involved.

You will also have to pay for a small feast which is first offered to the deity. You can then eat it after the ceremony is done.

I payed one, or two thousand baht (or, rather that's what the missus asked me for).

Interestingly, the shaman told us that our spirit is a Muslim with lots of wives. This is actually good as we don't have to offer spirits, or, expensive types of fruit.

I made the mistake of asking what happened if we sub-divided the land and someone put up another spirit house, where would that new spirit come from.

I just got a withering look from the shaman.

Thanks mate i already know about the small feast, it just seems ridiculous to me that Buddhist

people would believe what a Warlock/shaman/witch would tell you

I am going along with it anyway to keep the peace, but he will not be getting a lot of baht from me

It's a pretty normal thing here & if it makes your wife feel good then it will reflect back to you. I always relate the tale of a friend who had a spirit house at his home in Kathu which was on the corner of steep section of the soi. A couple of cars had crashed into his wall so they asked the shaman to check it out. He asked them what kind of food they were leaving out & they said the normal things rice, pork, fruit etc. Ah ha, therein lies the problem as the spirit was a Muslim so after they stopped leaving pork there were no more crashes.

If I was P Callen I would give Mrs Callen 20k baht, and say whatever is left is for her shopping or she can send it to her mum. I would also ask how to dress and behave this day, as it is very important for her.

Done it and actually enjoyed it

Cha Dee Krap

Already discussed it with Mrs PCA and she will not pay anything like that amount of money

She does not have a mother and her father is staying with us at present after having a back operation

Her uncle is a shaman in Isaan who she wanted to visit us, but he is to busy and making to much money there

If I was P Callen I would give Mrs Callen 20k baht, and say whatever is left is for her shopping or she can send it to her mum. I would also ask how to dress and behave this day, as it is very important for her.

Cha Dee Krap

Already discussed it with Mrs PCA and she will not pay anything like that amount of money

She does not have a mother and her father is staying with us at present after having a back operation

Her uncle is a shaman in Isaan who she wanted to visit us, but he is to busy and making to much money there

sorry, I didnt say she should pay that amount, it was my way to leave it to her how much to pay, and the rest is hers, perhaps to spend on her father

Cha Dee Krap

sorry, I didnt say she should pay that amount, it was my way to leave it to her how much to pay, and the rest is hers, perhaps to spend on her father

Already spent a lot on her father, who do you think paid most of the hospital costs??

Had the base installed by the builders next door 500 baht and i supplied the materials

Paid the witchdoctor 500 baht to chuck some water around which Mrs PCA was happy with

For all you anonymous people 500 baht about $17 is two days basic wage here

So you spent about $34 for labour. Jai dee, chok dee... Glad she's happy...

Had the base installed by the builders next door 500 baht and i supplied the materials

Paid the witchdoctor 500 baht to chuck some water around which Mrs PCA was happy with

For all you anonymous people 500 baht about $17 is two days basic wage here

So you spent about $34 for labour. Jai dee, chok dee... Glad she's happy...

We are both happy 4 days pay for 2 hours work

Posting late at night i noticedlicklips.gif