Private Goverment Pension

DEVATSAR

Hi all

If you receive a private pension ( national health service 30) from the uk and you have that then tranfered to your Thai bank..........

Can you tell the authorties in the UK you no longer live in the UK but what are the implications in this..............

Q..1 Do you still have to pay UK tax on the pension even though you dont live there anymore and you have informed the relevant authorities

Q..2 If i return due to a medical condtion am i able go get NHS treatment (i still hold a uk current passport?)

Thanking you all in advance

Cheers

paul

And in answer to your second question, also no, there was a long running thread on this subject recently, though the thread is now closed as it went downhill.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/523021-uk-healthcare-benefits-for-brits-living-in-thailand/

Basically it said that you need to be a resident of the UK to get free access to the NHS in the circumstances you describe, ie you cant just go back if you have a medical condition, unless you can prove you are returning to live permanantly. If you you are visiting the UK and are taken ill, then you can get emergency treatment, but so can anybody.

The fact that you are a UK passport holder, a UK tax payer, have probably paid National Insurance all your working life and, in your case, worked for the NHS, count for nothing I'm afraid.

Also when you claim your state pension your tax allowance will be set against that and any surplus then set against any other income (pensions etc) but of course no annual increase on your state pension if you declare you live in Thailand!

Some info on UK tax personel allowances :-

under 65 = 2011 - 2012 = £7,475. / 2012 - 2013 = £8,105.

65 - 74 = 2011 - 2012 = £9,940. / 2012 - 2013 = £10.500.

Something worth noting with the age related allowances, 65 and above, is that the allowance reduces where the income is above the income limit for age-related allowances by £1 for every £2 of income above the limit, the limit for 2012-13 is £25,400.

Some info on UK tax personel allowances :-

under 65 = 2011 - 2012 = £7,475. / 2012 - 2013 = £8,105.

65 - 74 = 2011 - 2012 = £9,940. / 2012 - 2013 = £10.500.

Something worth noting with the age related allowances, 65 and above, is that the allowance reduces where the income is above the income limit for age-related allowances by £1 for every £2 of income above the limit, the limit for 2012-13 is £25,400.

Well !! I for one won't have to worry about that. biggrin.png

• Like 1