The Myth....

zzaa09

Gold Digger, Security or Survival  

134 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My point is that for the younger Thai ladies the choice of farangs as marriage material is extremely limited. Who knows? It could be a different scenario if farangs suddenly began flooding into the country, including a lot younger stock and were permitted to become officially Immigrants, allowed to fully integrate within Thai society and play an equal part as a Thai national. Maybe than the Thai women would show more preference towards the younger, fairer skinned farang male?

Your hypothetical scenario, of course, would never happen. But even if it did, I doubt the situation would change that much. Unless Thai girls suddenly abandoned Thai for English...or the farang guys were magically fluent in Thai.

But even if this mythical open society was possible, ask yourself this: Why would a young, attractive, and even modestly successful western guy want to hook up with some foreign woman whom he can barely communicate with, when he can have a similarly attractive western female with whom he can connect with completely? The answer is he wouldn't. That's why there are so few young, attractive, AND successful farang males in Thailand.

Most of the young western guys I see here are bums, where are you finding all the young attractive and SUCCESSFUL guys.

• Like 1

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My point is that for the younger Thai ladies the choice of farangs as marriage material is extremely limited. Who knows? It could be a different scenario if farangs suddenly began flooding into the country, including a lot younger stock and were permitted to become officially Immigrants, allowed to fully integrate within Thai society and play an equal part as a Thai national. Maybe than the Thai women would show more preference towards the younger, fairer skinned farang male?

Your hypothetical scenario, of course, would never happen. But even if it did, I doubt the situation would change that much. Unless Thai girls suddenly abandoned Thai for English...or the farang guys were magically fluent in Thai.

But even if this mythical open society was possible, ask yourself this: Why would a young, attractive, and even modestly successful western guy want to hook up with some foreign woman whom he can barely communicate with, when he can have a similarly attractive western female with whom he can connect with completely? The answer is he wouldn't. That's why there are so few young, attractive, AND successful farang males in Thailand.

Most of the young western guys I see here are bums, where are you finding all the young attractive and SUCCESSFUL guys.

Did you even read my post? I think my last sentence agrees with your sentiments.

Perhaps because he prefers to be in Thailand, where the supply of those western women are few and far between.

There are very, very few real opportunities in Thailand for a young foreigner to build any sort of personal wealth. If he's here with just the shirt on his back at 25, that's about all he'll have at 50. There are exceptions of course....for those who like to bring up the 1 in a 1,000 "guy they know."

Perhaps because he prefers to be in Thailand, where the supply of those western women are few and far between.

There are very, very few real opportunities in Thailand for a young foreigner to build any sort of personal wealth. If he's here with just the shirt on his back at 25, that's about all he'll have at 50. There are exceptions of course....for those who like to bring up the 1 in a 1,000 "guy they know."

It's great to know the same kind of cliches are being rolled out on TV after all these years.

I completely disagree with you. I think there are plenty of opportunities for people to make money in Thailand. The problem is not Thailand per se, it's that the type of people who come to Thailand are precisely the type of people who won't make a fortune anywhere. And, of course, the project their own failings onto their environment.

Building a fortune in Thailand requires the same discipline there, as it does anywhere. Hard work, diligence, intelligence, skill and - yes - a degree of good luck. I dont dispute it's harder to do in Thailand, but my experience is that successful people are successful, wherever you happen to place them.

I completely disagree with you. I think there are plenty of opportunities for people to make money in Thailand. The problem is not Thailand per se, it's that the type of people who come to Thailand are precisely the type of people who won't make a fortune anywhere. And, of course, the project their own failings onto their environment.

I know plenty of people out here with a load of money they made in the west.

(I made about $1.5M in the west, but wouldn't have a clue about making money here)

I know a few people with a business (import/export or factories), they mainly struggle to make any money.

I know teachers, bar owners, restaurant owners and people with internet jobs, mostly living hand to mounth, no savings.

Give us an idea how many $$millions have you made out here and your age?

Or are you just telling us stories you heard about other people!

Edited by ludditeman

It's great to know the same kind of cliches are being rolled out on TV after all these years.

Building a fortune in Thailand requires the same discipline there, as it does anywhere. Hard work, diligence, intelligence, skill and - yes - a degree of good luck. I dont dispute it's harder to do in Thailand, but my experience is that successful people are successful, wherever you happen to place them.

Plenty of opportunities? I can't agree on that point because if there were, there'd be plenty of rich Thai folks, nevermind farangs. There are some opportunities, but the deck is very much stacked against the foreigner (as it should be--why should a foreigner have more opportunities than a Thai citizen?).

But I do agree that the types of young farangs that come to Thailand are not exactly the creme de la creme. But even if they were, don't you think they'd have a better chance of succeeding in their home country, for a litany of reasons, not the least of which being familiarity with the system?

I know plenty of people out here with a load of money they made in the west.

(I made about $1.5M in the west, but wouldn't have a clue about making money here)

I know a few people with a business (import/export or factories), they mainly struggle to make any money.

I know teachers, bar owners, restaurant owners and people with internet jobs, mostly living hand to mounth, no savings.

Give us an idea how many $$millions have you made out here and your age?

Or are you just telling us stories you heard about other people!

I didnt say I had done it. I'm not the entrepeneurial type . . it's not in my nature. But I did work in Thailand for five years and earned a very good salary, even by western standards and managed to have a good lifestyle and increase my savings and net worth significantly.

I worked in the legal area. We had numerous westerners as clients who ran very good businesses and were making very good money. That at least one person could do it indicates that there are no institutional barriers to do it, so it is possible.

Of course there are numerous low income westerners here; that doesnt logically lead to the conclusion that it's not possible to succeed.

Plenty of opportunities? I can't agree on that point because if there were, there'd be plenty of rich Thai folks, nevermind farangs. There are some opportunities, but the deck is very much stacked against the foreigner (as it should be--why should a foreigner have more opportunities than a Thai citizen?).

But I do agree that the types of young farangs that come to Thailand are not exactly the creme de la creme. But even if they were, don't you think they'd have a better chance of succeeding in their home country, for a litany of reasons, not the least of which being familiarity with the system?

You don't think there are plenty of rich Thai people?

Seriously?

I didnt say I had done it. I'm not the entrepeneurial type . . it's not in my nature. But I did work in Thailand for five years and earned a very good salary, even by western standards and managed to have a good lifestyle and increase my savings and net worth significantly.

Recently it has become much harder to make money worldwide.

Past performance has little to do with NOW.

Not sure I could make any real money now either, formally in the west I charged 20,000bht a day, and was often asked to work 30 days a month. Can many people earn that much a month in Thailand, I think not.

Edited by ludditeman

Of all the places I have worked, I found Thailand the hardest to make good money, due to

- Corruption

- Cost of doing business - work permits and the like

- Tax

- Low salary levels (pressure from 'sexpats' and permanent tourists)

- Low volume of work

It was sitll possible, but it as easier elsewhere

SC

• Like 1

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious but there are plenty of rich Thais, many of them self made millionaires or well on the way and they're not necessarily Chinese or possessed of many education-related bits of paper. They can do it because they speak the lingo, know the lay of the land and are fully enfranchised to own more than 49% of a business and land etc etc. There are enough places and ways for folk to spend money in Thailand that they might never be clearly identified by the farang observer.

The ASEAN region is heaving with money whatever the papers say. It just takes a bit of sense, imagination, daring and about as much luck as anywhere else to tap into the gold seams of the Wild East. For obvious reasons this is something 99.99...% of farang in these parts won't be able to do.

Edited by Trembly
  • Like 1

Dunno when the thread turned into a pissing-up-the-wall contest but if you're pullin' down anything more than 50K THB per month in Thailand, you're alright

Doesn't leave a lot after you've forked out 80K on the school fees... and 20K tax on the school fees...

I suppose different people have different expectations in life, but mine didn't suddenly change because I was working in Thailand

SC

I don’t think there has ever been an accurate fully comprehensive survey carried out on how many farangs do actually reside in Thailand. I’m not even sure if this is possible as many farangs come and go over the years, especially considering that very few farangs ever become full blown citizens.

I imagine a true and accurate study might surprise some.

I doubt the real numbers are significant. We would be talking those foreign residents with the family, property, businesses/work, lifestyles, etc.

There really aren't that many full-time year-round Farang in residence.

I don't think it matters much in what country you choose. Women as a whole look for security first when it comes to a long term relationship. I've had many gals in Canada tell me they were ONLY going to marry a doctor or airline pilot with a secure position. The young women are no different than men when it comes to a casual "fling". They just go for the guy they are most attracted to. However, in countries where women do not have the earning power of men then they are more likely to choose a man of some wealth (by their standards) as a potential mate. The less opportunities there are of bettering their financial position in life the less choosy the women will be in the looks or age of a man.

It's no different than if the shoe was on the other foot. Men would think of security first. Nothing wrong with that at all.

• Like 2

It's no different than if the shoe was on the other foot. Men would think of security first. Nothing wrong with that at all.

No, men are almost never attracted for wealthy, older women.

Men go for looks and youth. That's part of their program since thousands of years. And that's what Western "emancipated" women never understand: "But I got a doctor's degree, have a good job and nobody looks at me. Shouldn't inner values be most important?"

No, for a man most important is a younger, good looking woman. Men don't care about your degree - if you are old and ugly, your prime time is over. And that happens very quickly.

Unfair? Maybe. But that's how nature works.

• Like 1

You don't think there are plenty of rich Thai people?

Seriously?

Please. There are plenty of rich Thai folks if you're looking strictly at numbers. But on a percentage (of the population) basis.....

No, men are almost never attracted for wealthy, older women.

Men go for looks and youth. That's part of their program since thousands of years. And that's what Western "emancipated" women never understand: "But I got a doctor's degree, have a good job and nobody looks at me. Shouldn't inner values be most important?"

No, for a man most important is a younger, good looking woman. Men don't care about your degree - if you are old and ugly, your prime time is over. And that happens very quickly.

Unfair? Maybe. But that's how nature works.

That is true, unless you are starving and don't know where your next meal is coming from. Beggers take what they can get. I see some of the Thai women that farangs have taken as wives and I wonder what they were thinking. Given just an average monthly income by European or North American standards and a man can have his choice of young lovelies in Thailand.

Recently it has become much harder to make money worldwide.

Past performance has little to do with NOW.

Not sure I could make any real money now either, formally in the west I charged 20,000bht a day, and was often asked to work 30 days a month. Can many people earn that much a month in Thailand, I think not.

formally indeed, did the restaurant supply the tux or did you have to buy it yourself?

regarding the rest of the topic, gee it is sure nice to have Ian back grinding that same old axe and green slapper generalizing about who, as a man, I am able to find attractive.

I had purposely avoided this post both for the laborious grammar,vocab and syntax of the op as well as its ridiculous premise but the flesh is weak.

As another poster pointed out somewhere in the midst of this intellectual exercise that to have a successful thread on TV all you need do is post some asinine and degrading theory that allegedly applies to all thai women and you get 100 replies.

Well, we have certainly proven that here. well done,

Edited by nocturn

Dunno when the thread turned into a pissing-up-the-wall contest but if you're pullin' down anything more than 50K THB per month in Thailand, you're alright

Doesn't leave a lot after you've forked out 80K on the school fees... and 20K tax on the school fees...

I suppose different people have different expectations in life, but mine didn't suddenly change because I was working in Thailand

SC

B100K on school associated fees/taxes?

Where would that be?

SC

Where would that be?

indeed, sounds cheap to me.

SC

Where would that be?

indeed, sounds cheap to me.

That's about what I spend on school fees a month, plus the tax on the school fees. They're invoiced termly, but I budget monthly.

If I budget...

SC

That's about what I spend on school fees a month, plus the tax on the school fees. They're invoiced termly, but I budget monthly.

If I budget...

SC

Wow. That's substantial. I feel your pain.

Our girls split their educational time between private tutoring and "private" schools.....as much as Surin can offer.

We don't even come close to those costs that you've stated above.

Good luck to you and yours.

Immature stupid women marry for love. Mature intelligent women marry for trust and security. By trust, I mean that they must believe their husband will not desert them for the next pretty face that walks by. By security, I mean that they want their husband to be able to financially take decent care of them now and in the future. Decent care doesn't mean wealthy, just long term financially secure.

Stupid women live for today. Intelligent women plan years ahead. That's not to say that many women would not be up for a fun one night stand with a handsome young man who appeals to them.

The absolute money grubbers can put on a good act for weeks and maybe even months at a time but the gold digging intent eventually shows itself. That's why it is important to make sure you get to know the woman for a fairly long period of time. Their true colors and intent will eventually come out and will become quite obvious. Lust is often mistaken for love. Love at first sight is a myth.

• Like 1