New Cars For 2012 And Beyond

Big Guns

Mitsubishi I do not follow so much, there was a lot of talk about the Mitsubishi and Nissan partnership on the new pickup, but in resent weeks also talk that this will now not happen and both new pickup will be stand alone models and not sharing ?

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mitsubishi I do not follow so much, there was a lot of talk about the Mitsubishi and Nissan partnership on the new pickup, but in resent weeks also talk that this will now not happen and both new pickup will be stand alone models and not sharing ?

Yep, back in 2011 there was talk of a model-sharing arrangement for the next gen Mitsu/Nissan pickup/PPV, but that was canned a few months ago now. Mitsu have assisted Nissan with additional production capacity in TH, and that style of arrangement is likely to continue though.

I have been waiting to change my Mitsubishi Triton for a few months now, sales manager keeps telling me to hold off and now insists that 6 months from now they will have the "all new" version.

I am seeing them next week to see if I can place an order, really don't want to be waiting around when it launches after seeing recent waiting times.

I cannot see anything online yet (spyshot etc) but I am guessing it is going to have the new front end like the Lancer and now the Outlander (UK) but will be interesing to see.

Not sure about the look of that though, kind of prefer the current model myself so will see what they say next week.

He's just getting over excited I think - dealer level staff are the #1 cause of all false alarms I've posted here in the past, hehe wink.png

At this point in time there's absolutely no reason to suspect we'll see the next-gen before 2014.

Cheers IMHO, thought it could be the case considering so little info or pictures, and the no go shared platform. Let's see, might just go for another current model and add the bits which it should already have like bluetooth, Sat Nav etc.

I have been waiting to change my Mitsubishi Triton for a few months now, sales manager keeps telling me to hold off and now insists that 6 months from now they will have the "all new" version.

I am seeing them next week to see if I can place an order, really don't want to be waiting around when it launches after seeing recent waiting times.

I cannot see anything online yet (spyshot etc) but I am guessing it is going to have the new front end like the Lancer and now the Outlander (UK) but will be interesing to see.

Not sure about the look of that though, kind of prefer the current model myself so will see what they say next week.

He's just getting over excited I think - dealer level staff are the #1 cause of all false alarms I've posted here in the past, hehe wink.png

At this point in time there's absolutely no reason to suspect we'll see the next-gen before 2014.

Cheers IMHO, thought it could be the case considering so little info or pictures, and the no go shared platform. Let's see, might just go for another current model and add the bits which it should already have like bluetooth, Sat Nav etc.

There was a minor change Triton Plus released a few weeks ago that added:

Steering wheel audio controls

Cruise control

Updated Alpine DVD + LCD Screen with iPod and USB support

Power folding side mirrors w/LED

5 Speed AT

So make sure you're not getting a 2011....

As for BT and GPS, both of these are plug-in upgrades for the Alpine system.

• 2 weeks later...

The pajero seems to look completely different depending on which part of the world you are from, not sure about the triton. I think the front end of both the current triton/pajero in thailand is looking a little dated now but not sure I want them to bolt on the front of a lancer.

The fortuner needs a dam_n good overhaul, particularly the interior, very plasticky the clock looks like it came from a 1980's its supposed to be a premium suv and it certainly didn't feel like that, but I've been impressed with the design of some of the newer Toyota models, so they should get it right this time.

The pajero seems to look completely different depending on which part of the world you are from, not sure about the triton. I think the front end of both the current triton/pajero in thailand is looking a little dated now but not sure I want them to bolt on the front of a lancer.

The fortuner needs a dam_n good overhaul, particularly the interior, very plasticky the clock looks like it came from a 1980's its supposed to be a premium suv and it certainly didn't feel like that, but I've been impressed with the design of some of the newer Toyota models, so they should get it right this time.

the current triton/pajero in Thailand looks nothing like what I would call a Pajero....why they did not call it a a Triton Wagon/Estate, as it looks nothing like a 4x4 Pajero..

The Fortuner on the other hand looks like a 4x4....... appear they have fiddled with it again front lights now have the oblong headlight with a single round light in the middle, back light also very slightly different.

Sorry don't like Toyota, or not the models in Thailand........ as for the new model Fortuner, maybe will look nothing like a proper 4x4 ? just look what they have done with the new Rav4,

Maybe Japan want to stop making 4x4's ? there all getting to look ugly blobs starting off with the CRV, Mk2 looked great, is there a worse looking 4x4 then the present CRV ? or want a price for the worst looking 4x4

With the amount on the roads some must like them

*****************************************************************************************************

Just on looks would pay half the price and take this one..... looks like a 4x4 even if it is only 2 wheel drive

post-42643-0-12561800-1358731131_thumb.j

Edited by ignis

Is the ford mondeo confirmed for the Thai market? I really like look of that and if the ecoboost engines also make it over it will be very good alternative to the accord or Camry.

One thing that totally puzzles me is the lack of diesel engines across the range for all manufactures, I see the focus might be getting a diesel but the golf, civic, Mitsubishi all go for petrol engines with no diesel option.

Is the ford mondeo confirmed for the Thai market? I really like look of that and if the ecoboost engines also make it over it will be very good alternative to the accord or Camry.

One thing that totally puzzles me is the lack of diesel engines across the range for all manufactures, I see the focus might be getting a diesel but the golf, civic, Mitsubishi all go for petrol engines with no diesel option.

Unfortunately, the new gen Mondeo/Fusion is a non-starter for TH at this time. We will be seeing the 1.0L Ecoboost in a few months time (Fiesta minor change), and again in Q4 when the Ecosport launches.

Diesel engines are more expensive to manufacture than gasoline - and in the volume-selling end of the market, buyers are just too price sensitive for it to make sense.

Also Thais love cheap........... even a little engine car they run on gas LPG = far cheaper to run then a diesel per km..

more new cars now have CNG already installed.

Edit:

Mondeo maybe the price, ? good alternative to the accord or Camry.

Just looked at Ford Malaysia the Ecoboost Mondeo will be RM188,748.80 that is about 2 million baht

********** Somehow a Ford Mondeo not have the same ring to it as the new Volvo S60 @ 1.9 million here......

Edited by ignis

Ford Ecosport

Google search: Bangkok post 2013 new cars

Less than 1 million baht range

Ford Ecosport will be the first B-segment SUV made in Thailand

Based on the Fiesta, interior lifted form the Fiesta, so a Fiesta that has been to the Air pump..........

Still will be a lot cheaper and slower than a Mini.

Maybe will go head to head with the small SUV based on the next Fit/Jazz ? or maybe if it ever comes the Chevy Trax

Apparently they will start making the mondeo in Vietnam in 2013 so those prices might fall considerably, as it should fall under the ASEAN free trade agreement. I had a mondeo 2.0 TDCi as a work car for a couple of years it was a really nice comfortable functional car a real work horse, a bit of plain perhaps but the new one looks beautiful. Looking at the whole ford range they all seem well equipped with safety extras airbags, curtains etc. I wish a few more manufactures would grow a conscience and add these standard features to their models, for me it's a massive selling point when I'm shopping for a car.

I've also been looking at the Volvo s60 / v60 they are lovely but it's 2.3 million baht for a v60 with decent spec :/

Apparently they will start making the mondeo in Vietnam in 2013 so those prices might fall considerably, as it should fall under the ASEAN free trade agreement.

Ford Vietnam's Mondeo production capacity is only 700 units/year (not a typo) - which is only enough to support domestic sales, not exports unfortunately.

Apparently they will start making the mondeo in Vietnam in 2013 so those prices might fall considerably, as it should fall under the ASEAN free trade agreement. I had a mondeo 2.0 TDCi as a work car for a couple of years it was a really nice comfortable functional car a real work horse, a bit of plain perhaps but the new one looks beautiful. Looking at the whole ford range they all seem well equipped with safety extras airbags, curtains etc. I wish a few more manufactures would grow a conscience and add these standard features to their models, for me it's a massive selling point when I'm shopping for a car.

I've also been looking at the Volvo s60 / v60 they are lovely but it's 2.3 million baht for a v60 with decent spec :/

A Polestar S60 is nice i wonder how much heresad.png .

If you're rich enough to afford it, probably on your own private race track =P

Other than the safety aspect, the thing that attracts me to the s60/v60 is that they run on E85, which is just over 20 baht a litre at the moment, everything seems to be shifting towards gasohol based fuels, so I reckon (guessing) this has to be cheapest in the long run?

It's 2.3 (2.2 if you try hard enough) for the only spec.

I have a recent volvo brochure they have two versions of the v60 and s60, the S spec is the top of the range, the B spec lacks some of the safety kit, adaptive cruise control, the front radar passenger sensor etc. I couldn't find exact details as the Volvo website isn't great and I don't live near a dealership. I'll post a picture or details if I manage to find the brochure.

Actually I'm wrong it's the S60 that has a B and S spec, the V60 as you said is just one spec :)

B spec S60 1,899,000

S spec S60 2,169,000

V60 2,269,000

Something that may be of interest to someone, my local VW dealer (Korat) is selling the mark 6 golf GTI for 1.9 million baht, down from 2.6 million baht, strangely enough they don't seem to be doing the 1.4 tsi golf anymore, maybe they're getting ready for the mk 7?

Actually I'm wrong it's the S60 that has a B and S spec, the V60 as you said is just one spec smile.png

B spec S60 1,899,000

S spec S60 2,169,000

V60 2,269,000

Something that may be of interest to someone, my local VW dealer (Korat) is selling the mark 6 golf GTI for 1.9 million baht, down from 2.6 million baht, strangely enough they don't seem to be doing the 1.4 tsi golf anymore, maybe they're getting ready for the mk 7?

I maybe wrong. The wife bought a V60 and the sales people didn't speak any English. Too much Thai for me to understand. It came across as just one spec available from what I could ask her.

Then there was one in the car park with a larger engine and thought we'd got it wrong, but it was an import.

Actually I'm wrong it's the S60 that has a B and S spec, the V60 as you said is just one spec smile.png

B spec S60 1,899,000

S spec S60 2,169,000

V60 2,269,000

I maybe wrong. The wife bought a V60 and the sales people didn't speak any English. Too much Thai for me to understand. It came across as just one spec available from what I could ask her.

Then there was one in the car park with a larger engine and thought we'd got it wrong, but it was an import.

You are correct - the S60 is available in B and S grades (1.9M/2.17M), but the V60 is only available in a single grade (2.27M). The V50 is also still available though (1.7M).

@arthurwait you were right - did you end up buying one?

I like the V50 but it runs on benzene or I guess it must take E10 gasohol now that benzene is on the way out?

The V50 is the 2.0 lt injection engine.......... both the 'S' and the 'V' 60 are the new 1.6 turbo engines + 6 speed Auto.

oddly the brand new 'S' and the 'V' 40 has the 2.0 lt injection engine

Edited by ignis

@arthurwait you were right - did you end up buying one?

I like the V50 but it runs on benzene or I guess it must take E10 gasohol now that benzene is on the way out?

Yes the wife did. I think she got it in August. I think she's using gasohol in it.

The V50 was tempting for the saving it would have had, but the seats weren't too good. Felt like you could roll off them. She wanted something nice and comfortable for her mum (78) to be driven in.

It had bad throttle lag from standstill in auto mode, sequential mode was slightly better IIRC. Which was off putting.

• 2 weeks later...

A pity to note that this thread has managed to find itself drop from page one. I also note that MRO has not been active in TV for quite some time. A shame, because I always looked formard to his regular updates on the Thai new car market.

Is there someone else out there who has his excellent knowledge of the local car industry and could perhaps take on the role of providing updates to his list? There would be many greatful readers...

• Like 2