There's no escape from the music

In the whole dam_n street

'Cause she's playing all night

And the music's all right

Mama's got a squeeze box

Daddy never sleeps at night

She goes in and out and in and out and in and out and in and out

And this relates how ?

EX-LEPER: All right, sir. My final offer: half a shekel for an old ex-leper.

BRIAN: Did you say... 'ex-leper'?

EX-LEPER: That's right, sir. Sixteen years behind the bell, and proud of it, sir.

BRIAN: Well, what happened?

EX-LEPER: I was cured, sir.

BRIAN: Cured?

EX-LEPER: Yes, sir, a bloody miracle, sir. God bless you.

BRIAN: Who cured you?

EX-LEPER: Jesus did, sir. I was hopping along, minding my own business. All of a sudden, up he comes. Cures me. One minute I'm a leper with a trade, next minute my livelihood's gone. Not so much as a by your leave. 'You're cured mate.'.... Bloody do-gooder.

BRIAN: Well, why don't you go and tell him you want to be a leper again?

EX-LEPER: Ah, yeah. I could do that, sir. Yeah. Yeah, I could do that, I suppose. What I was thinking was, I was going to ask him if he could make me a bit lame in one leg during the middle of the week. You know, something beggable, but not leprosy, which is a pain in the arse, to be blunt. Excuse my French, sir, but, uh--

• Like 1

More than 100.000? A police rookie starts at 7.500. A police major gets around 15.000 incl. benefits after 12 years in service. We better stop discussing this issue before hordes of BIB find a new use for their shades and start singing mor lam. violin.gif

The two of them are morally despicable, go and earn a proper living by working, this country is hard enough for the genuinely disadvantaged with the likes of these two putting people off giving to genuinely blind people.

The moral (no pun intended) of the story is that the morally despicable can "blend right in" in Thailand.

Maybe some of the English teachers should consider a new occupation in Thailand....

Can you get a WP for begging ?

Sounds like we have another proud monolingual standing tall in his saddle, or perhaps the barstoool. But I understand because the very first thing I thought, as I am certain occured with most others when reading this story, was about those who teach English.

Just another post that helps define these forums. George must be so proud.

Chaiyo!

thank god there are not farang... god knows where there would be now (in jail waiting for proces, deportation, big fine, confiscated money...)

A farang begging in thailand?

If that happened kick them out or give them any of the other things you mentioned lol.

Fair play to that couple. Making a small fortune.

One should not make fun of the impaired. Even when they are imposing, or posing. Everybody does something for a reason. Nobody can judge another, it's a sgin of discrespect towards somebody. One can only judge oneself in the end.

Sir Dancealot, that level of tolerance for scammers seems somewhat misplaced. Society should deplore antisocial behavior to discourage it, not just turn a blind eye (sic) to it, imho.

One should not make fun of the impaired. Even when they are imposing, or posing. Everybody does something for a reason. Nobody can judge another, it's a sgin of discrespect towards somebody. One can only judge oneself in the end.

Edited by Reasonableman
  • Like 1

this is a subject close to my heart,my mother was blind,the last 20years that she lived on her own was very difficult but she asked no one for help.blind people all seem to be able to do things a lot better than anyone,when i used to pick her up at the r.n.i.b.to see what they could make was better than any machine could do.when i lived in huay-kwang i used to give every day to the blind so i am glad i never came across this pair what i want to call them i cannot put into words.

When shopping for a pair of reading glasses one day on Sukhumvit and Soi 19, the Vendor was supposedly a Mute...could not speak. Pulling out my own hand held electronic calculator we begain to bargain. We arrived at an agreeable price, and as was walking away, I turned around to look at this vendor, and there he was making a phone call, I could only laugh viewing that scene. I would have paid more for the reading glasses just to witness a Mute whom I had just purchased a pair of reading glasses from making a phone call. Now thats a sophiscated beggar.

Begging is a 'reserved occupation' in Thailand.

Not really, the vast majority of beggars in Thailand are Cambodians. That's why whenever there is an international conference in Bangkok, they deport them all back to Cambodia so they can clean up Suhkumvit for a week. There are even farang beggars. There used to be a Dutch guy who would beg at different BTS stops every day, he had a sign about needing money to fly home but he never went. Don't know if he's still around. There was another dude who would sell postcards in Patpong and other tourist areas, but it was basically begging. I've seen other farang beggars in front of MBK before. I've also been approached by random farang and asked for spare change. And then there was a really wierd beggar that would sit in front of Nana Plaza with his resume taped to his suitcase, but would only take 'expat' level salaries

Edited by DP25

Business opportunity for over worked and under paid English teachers. Earn extra money in the Evening and on Saturdays and Sundays. Rent an infant child, and learn the in and outs of begging. For another small additional fee, we will find the locations. No work permit required.spamsign.gifintheclub.gif

thank god there are not farang... god knows where there would be now (in jail waiting for proces, deportation, big fine, confiscated money...)

It depends... if one had a work permit that specified begging then maybe OK but I wonder if you would have to go as far as detailing that the begging would be done by impersonation of a blind person..... ha

The real shame is that it will put off people from donating to the ubiquitous blind singer being led about who really IS blind.

Put off by both feigning blindness and also from his claims of making 4K a day (which I find very hard to believe in in the Laem Chabang area).

p.s. personally, I don't see this fairly common nation-wide activity as truly begging.

not just the blind but sadly it will put off people from helping all those disabled people put in the street every morning forced to beg by the mafia.

The two of them are morally despicable, go and earn a proper living by working, this country is hard enough for the genuinely disadvantaged with the likes of these two putting people off giving to genuinely blind people.

EXCUSE ME but appart from faking blindness ... isn't singing earning a proper linving by working? I agree that they are despicable for faking a disability, but appart from that singing to patrons at bars and restaurant is an honest work .... in europe tons of people get regisered to play music or sing at public places such as the subway and no one finds it questionable.

Take away the white stick and shades, and see how much they make a month. Faking disability is BS and IMHO should be punished.

Maybe some of the English teachers should consider a new occupation in Thailand....

My first idea, yes. Why am I dealing with the - in most cases - not eager to study students for less than a third of their "salery"?

Hope its not English you're teaching!

My first idea, yes. Why am I dealing with the - in most cases - not eager to study students for less than a third of their "salery"?

So which department of the English Nazi's do you work for ?......actually my job here makes me a little more than than the beggars..wink.png

Edited by Soutpeel

Business opportunity for over worked and under paid English teachers. Earn extra money in the Evening and on Saturdays and Sundays. Rent an infant child, and learn the in and outs of begging. For another small additional fee, we will find the locations. No work permit required.spamsign.gifintheclub.gif

The farang OAP's could consider this occupation as well to supplement their state pensions and many do actually have real disabilities...

So which department of the English Nazi's do you work for ?......actually my job here makes me a little more than than the beggars..wink.png

"Why am I dealing with the - in most cases - not eager to study students for less than a third of their "salery"?"

Last time I looked you spelt salary as salary. Your statement implies that you earn a third of, and not "a little more than" the beggars.