Australian Tourist Visa Application

My (Thai) wife and I are going to Australia next month.

We have been married for more than 20 years and she has been to Oz with me many times.

In the past we have usually done the visa by submitting forms etc initially at the embassy or VFS office in the "Trendy Office Building" (love that name).

We don't live in Bangkok now and I noticed Thailand is now included in the list of countries listed by VFS (but not on the Australian Embassy info), where you can do the application online.

However, when I got about 40% of the way through, it told me I could not submit the application online and will need to go to a local desk at the Udon Thani Post Office (where we live) and submit it there for couriering to Bangkok.

I know you cannot do an e-Visa, but does anyone know if you can submit a normal Visit Visa on line from Thailand ?

My wife submitted her Tourist Visa (subclass 600) application online last week. It's taken a bit longer than the VFS submit in person but this is probably due to the initial process not allowing her to submit all the normal documentation with the initial application. This was rectified today so expect a result within the next week.

What I find frustrating (almost embarassing) is that my wife can apply (and receive) a 10 year tourist visa for the USA that is only slightly more expensive than a one year tourist visa for Australia and going through the same song and dance every year is cumbersome at best. It's bad enough that we go through it with the Thai authorities when I have to extend my visa. Karma perhaps? tongue.png

The process for the USA visa was also a lot quicker, given that her previous 10 year visa had expired within the 6 months prior to applying for a rewnewal.

But I digress...

Did you do your online Visa from here in Thailand?

I even contacted VFS by email and they replied saying it couldn't be done.

Anyway, we'll go to the Udon Thani Post Office tomorrow and hopefully all will be sweet.

We've been married over 20 years and I agree with you about the over protective "nanny state" mentality of Australian Visa applications and the "difficulties" of obtaining a more permanent "permit" to stay in Thailand, than annually extending a 12 month Visa.Karma may visit both...eventually!

Did you do your online Visa from here in Thailand?

I even contacted VFS by email and they replied saying it couldn't be done.

Anyway, we'll go to the Udon Thani Post Office tomorrow and hopefully all will be sweet.

We've been married over 20 years and I agree with you about the over protective "nanny state" mentality of Australian Visa applications and the "difficulties" of obtaining a more permanent "permit" to stay in Thailand, than annually extending a 12 month Visa.Karma may visit both...eventually!

RegularReader; not sure what tea the kids down at VFS are drinking, but, I can assure you the application can be completed and paid for entirely online.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Services/Pages/visitor-e600-visa-online-applications.aspx is the link to start the process, you'll need to create an "ImmiAccount" for the application.

And yes, I'm currently living in Bangkok...

Thanks Grant, I'll try again.

Although seeing the forms are now completed and printed and we also have the "invitations", we might as well go the old "paper" route.

Was much easier when we lived in Bangkok and always seemed to be approved within a couple of days.

Although seeing the forms are now completed and printed and we also have the "invitations", we might as well go the old "paper" route.

Was much easier when we lived in Bangkok and always seemed to be approved within a couple of days.

I agree, the old paper route, seems much easier. I think the biggest frustration my wife had (and therefore I had haha) was that it took Immigration a week to respond to the application with a request for additional documentation to be attached to the application. This isn't an issue when you go via VFS because you obviously have to have a complete application otherwise you're wasting your time.

I wouldn't expect to have these "teething" issues next time around though, but that will depend on which visa we apply for, applying for a Partner Visa is possibly on the cards next time..

• Like 1

I agree, the old paper route, seems much easier. I think the biggest frustration my wife had (and therefore I had haha) was that it took Immigration a week to respond to the application with a request for additional documentation to be attached to the application. This isn't an issue when you go via VFS because you obviously have to have a complete application otherwise you're wasting your time.

I wouldn't expect to have these "teething" issues next time around though, but that will depend on which visa we apply for, applying for a Partner Visa is possibly on the cards next time..

Sounds like you're travelling down a similar path to us.

We've been married for more than 20 years (15 of those in Thailand) and gone back to Oz several times.

But, as I was working, trips were always short.

Now we have more time, we are thinking the partner visa for next time as well.

• Like 1

We've been married for more than 20 years (15 of those in Thailand) and gone back to Oz several times.

Well, I haven't been married quite as long as you folks, but a very similar sounding situation. I live and work here and as my work is directly related to home, we roughly spend about 30-60 days in Australia per year, each trip is about 10 days.

Just as an update: Wife's visa was approved about 20 minutes ago. 10 days total "waiting" time.

• Like 2

Well, I haven't been married quite as long as you folks, but a very similar sounding situation. I live and work here and as my work is directly related to home, we roughly spend about 30-60 days in Australia per year, each trip is about 10 days.

Just as an update: Wife's visa was approved about 20 minutes ago. 10 days total "waiting" time.

The last time we went was in 2012. The application was done at the VFS office in Sathorn. We received approval within 3 days.

I'm sure you knew you'd get it, but there's always that "what if they ask for..." feeling until the deed is done.

Well done!

The last time we went was in 2012. The application was done at the VFS office in Sathorn. We received approval within 3 days.

I'm sure you knew you'd get it, but there's always that "what if they ask for..." feeling until the deed is done.

Well done!

Yeah personally, I knew it was a matter of 'when' not 'if' we would get it, unfortunately, she who must be obeyed, didn't share my optimism which subsequently turns that glass half full approach to glass half empty approach..

To be honest, I haven't dealt with the crowd at the 'new' VFS Office, like your wife, my wife's previous visa was also approved prior to their relocation (having looked at the previous paperwork it was submitted and approved on the same day though I remember as it was around the festive season it took a few weeks to be given the green light)

My wife, in her own words, submitted (online) the same 'shit load' of paperwork she submitted the previous year to VFS.

I love how she's picked up Australian so quick ;)

• Like 1

Well done!

Yeah personally, I knew it was a matter of 'when' not 'if' we would get it, unfortunately, she who must be obeyed, didn't share my optimism which subsequently turns that glass half full approach to glass half empty approach..

To be honest, I haven't dealt with the crowd at the 'new' VFS Office, like your wife, my wife's previous visa was also approved prior to their relocation (having looked at the previous paperwork it was submitted and approved on the same day though I remember as it was around the festive season it took a few weeks to be given the green light)

My wife, in her own words, submitted (online) the same 'shit load' of paperwork she submitted the previous year to VFS.

I love how she's picked up Australian so quick wink.png

As the Thai saying goes..."same same, only different"!

But, in the end Grant, isn't this part of why we live here ?

We went to the Udon Post Office this morning.

The guy who looks after the Visas was very helpful.

I know he's only a clerk, but he knew what he was doing with the documents.

Fingers crossed, when they get to Bangkok on Monday, all will be okay.

But hey, T.I.T !

Edited by RegularReader
  • Like 1

@GrantSmith & @RegularReader - just a shame you did not beat the governments 50% increase for the sole purpose of revenue raising. We hope they will raise the level of service ( IMHO Thailand is one of the better offices so we are lucky) and number of grants available each year but I wouldn't hold my breath. This year there are 1227 spots available to Thailand applicants, and the current processing and approval time is 11 months so it is worth planning in advance.

@GrantSmith & @RegularReader - just a shame you did not beat the governments 50% increase for the sole purpose of revenue raising. We hope they will raise the level of service ( IMHO Thailand is one of the better offices so we are lucky) and number of grants available each year but I wouldn't hold my breath. This year there are 1227 spots available to Thailand applicants, and the current processing and approval time is 11 months so it is worth planning in advance.

Given the current direction the $AUD is heading, I wouldn't be too concerned just yet ;)

• Like 1

Always consider when you bring a thai natioanal to your country there no:1 goal is to always help there own family before they help yours as most thais come from poor family backgrounds

So much irony in this post...

whistling.gif

Maybe so Grant.

But, I just found it insulting.

• Like 2

Always consider when you bring a thai natioanal to your country there no:1 goal is to always help there own family before they help yours as most thais come from poor family backgrounds

So Lanky, your bargirl that you bought to Australia after knowing for 3 weeks didn't turn out like you had planned?

And now all Thai nationals must be the same?

• Like 1

Yesterday we received our visas, everybody passed, which was great.

I've been using VFS since they first started, I have to say the service has dropped considerably. Some of the problems I encountered:

- Nobody answering the phone

- The website doesn't state they only accept cash

- The officer didn't tell me I needed a power of attorney form to hear the decision

- Staff looking nice and smiling, but fairly clueless.

- The feedback system was not working.

I've been using VFS since they first started, I have to say the service has dropped considerably. Some of the problems I encountered:

- The officer didn't tell me I needed a power of attorney form to hear the decision

Oh dear,

With the residency visa fees increasing my 50% I would have hoped that "cluelessness" would have decreased by the same amount...

Lets hope your appraisal does not impinge on my wife and my step daughters process.

Oh dear,

With the residency visa fees increasing my 50% I would have hoped that "cluelessness" would have decreased by the same amount...

Lets hope your appraisal does not impinge on my wife and my step daughters process.

I wouldn't be alarmed. IMO, VFS are basically only glorified couriers and document checkers.

Applications can be sent straight to the embassy anyway. As you're using an agent, it shouldn't affect

you at all.

IMO, VFS have always been just ok. As with all offices, you have efficient and inefficient

officers working there.

From their website: How do I make payment for visa charge?

You may choose to purchase Cashier chegue / Demand Draft. from any Thai Bank drawn in the name of Australian Embassy Bangkok or pay

by cash at the Australian Visa Application Centre.

Can I send someone else to collect my passport from the Australian Visa Application Centre ?

Yes, you may send your authorised representative to have your passport collected. The person should carry the following documents;

bullet_new.gif Original receipt issued at the time of lodging application bullet_new.gif A Letter of authority signed by you permitting another person to collect your passport from the Australian Visa Application Centre.

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1

Oh dear,

I wouldn't be alarmed. IMO, VFS are basically only glorified couriers and document checkers.

Applications can be sent straight to the embassy anyway. As you're using an agent, it shouldn't affect

you at all.

The new rules for Thailand have taken effect and Thai's can now lodge online directly through the Government's immigration website at http://immi.gov.au

Of course for those that do not feel comfortable to do it themselves, or are doing a more serious visa we are happy to help and put you on the right track.

We provide a Free Consultation - for more details go to http://australianvisaphuket.com/free-consultation/

Better to ask the silly question of us than make a simple error and have your visa denied.

I am an Australian Registered Migration Agent (#1464995) and qualified lawyer so you will get the best advice. (No need for lawyer bashing, heard it all before ;o)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for your brilliant insight and knowledge wanky, sorry lanky.

• 1 month later...

Applying for a VISITOR Visa-Tourist Stream for AUSTRALIA

Click onto the link below and download the Form 1419

You will get some 15 0r 16 pages to fill out, not hard mainly tick and flick stuff.

Follow the instructions on the first few pages all very easy.

http://www.border.gov.au/Forms/Documents/1419.pdf#search=Form%201419

I have just completed one of these forms and took it to the Australian Visa Application Centre (AVAC) in Bangkok. Paid the CASH in Thai Baht.

Application Visa Fees: 3550.00 THB

Front desk Service Fee: 600.00 THB

Notification by SMS to pick up result Fee: 75.00 THB

Total outlay 4225.00 THB

I filled out form 1419 and applied for Visa Sub Class 600 for my Thai Mother in Law to visit Australia.

Was notified by SMS after 10 working days, to pick up envelope containing the result.

Went to the (AVAC) application approved.

Copy of her Chanute that she owned house.

6 months print out of her Bangkok Bank statement showing that she has cash coming in every month.

Myself guaranteeing the address she will be staying at, all food, medical and any other need all covered by myself and included my bank statement that I printed out.

I will attach the contact address for the Australian Visa Application Centre, map of their address and the latest visa application charges.

Should be a link to the Australian Visa Application centre (AVAC) http://vfs-au.net/

Hope this is some help to any one applying for the above.

OZEMADE

pdf.gif Australia Visa Information - Thailand - Contact Us.pdf 241.71KB 2 downloads

pdf.gif map.pdf 136.3KB 2 downloads

pdf.gif ScanVISA APPLICATION CHARGES 1st JULY 2015.pdf 680.34KB 1 downloads

• 1 month later...

Hi, I want to apply for a 3 month tourist visa for my GF come to Australia.

When supplying documents to show she has ties ie. reason to,return to thailand . Are photos of children's id cards ok ? Same with chanute of land ownership? Or, do they need to be certified? I plan to attach them in an online application.

Can somebody help me here before i end up in the looney bin please!!!!!

Iam married legally to thai in thailand , ive got what appears to me a simple request , the wife wants to come Aussie to live , thats fine by me !

Ive contacted 6 of those scamming migration agents - ive been told 6 totally radically different stories , ive had 3 from 6 send there there bank details saying just put x amounjt in this she'l be right no pa0pedrs nothing to me = obviously scammers '' i not a total fool .

income support crap for her sorry we not goling there ( she dont need it or wants it ) she is anything but a poor person & happy to pay all spouse visa costs from her own purse , so in essence in monetary way, i'm not needed . So comes time to do i'm an answering nothing in a monetary respect !..... I think il do this from thailand certainly not from Australia, as we truly not interested in all the guff you know .- i only want to do it dead simple.

I know she cant work 9 months of so when in Aussie but thaty don't matter she has more $ than you could poke a stick at and she wants no finacial aide from any govvy - in theory this should make things very simple do you agree.

this Australian govvy what a scam pay us $6,825 is it to immigration lol what when your married ??? yeah sure ( whats there agenda ) Sir you must buy your own wife lol , id not pay that in Australia even if i won tatts purely on principle , as your not bringing a stranger -- i mean its your wife err hellloo ) what a scamming system in Australia , i could understand if your bringing a stranger they on bones of bum they have 5 cents . but when your wifes well off and prepared to pay ''her own way '' i mean fair go ay !

can somebody tell me truly the things involved doing spouse visa from thailand to australia again ive asked 4 peoplre you get 4 totally different stories, i'm about to leavre go back to thailand , the poor wife has just about had enough , when i lodge this visa spouse in thailand for us - i dont want questions you know , She has been here twice 3 month tourist visas already but i foujnd them very easy to do i doned both myself ,, i didnt have to pay a dog to bark for me !

this spouse visa i dont want any hidden nasties the wifes going to pay for it - honestly she could afford to pay for 5 of them , we want to do all neat and simple away we go , but iam finding so much scare mongering and miss information from the scamming mara agents in Australia ) that i am just a tad frightened to try do it .Mara agents con men say to me you cant brreath without us send us our money all such rorts ive had a gut full of it !One told me i could never do a tourist visa for wife impossible he said, send us $1000 he said -- thats amazing ive done two so far i could do them in my sleep !

Can somebody help here in respect to this please !

Iam not doing another trip there to be mucked around , stand in the cue like a sheep take yu ticket we be in touch next month etc etc)) we just want to get going you know !

Stevo

Iam married legally to thai in thailand , ive got what appears to me a simple request , the wife wants to come Aussie to live , thats fine by me !

Ive contacted 6 of those scamming migration agents - ive been told 6 totally radically different stories , ive had 3 from 6 send there there bank details saying just put x amounjt in this she'l be right no pa0pedrs nothing to me = obviously scammers '' i not a total fool .

income support crap for her sorry we not goling there ( she dont need it or wants it ) she is anything but a poor person & happy to pay all spouse visa costs from her own purse , so in essence in monetary way, i'm not needed . So comes time to do i'm an answering nothing in a monetary respect !..... I think il do this from thailand certainly not from Australia, as we truly not interested in all the guff you know .- i only want to do it dead simple.

I know she cant work 9 months of so when in Aussie but thaty don't matter she has more $ than you could poke a stick at and she wants no finacial aide from any govvy - in theory this should make things very simple do you agree.

this Australian govvy what a scam pay us $6,825 is it to immigration lol what when your married ??? yeah sure ( whats there agenda ) Sir you must buy your own wife lol , id not pay that in Australia even if i won tatts purely on principle , as your not bringing a stranger -- i mean its your wife err hellloo ) what a scamming system in Australia , i could understand if your bringing a stranger they on bones of bum they have 5 cents . but when your wifes well off and prepared to pay ''her own way '' i mean fair go ay !

can somebody tell me truly the things involved doing spouse visa from thailand to australia again ive asked 4 peoplre you get 4 totally different stories, i'm about to leavre go back to thailand , the poor wife has just about had enough , when i lodge this visa spouse in thailand for us - i dont want questions you know , She has been here twice 3 month tourist visas already but i foujnd them very easy to do i doned both myself ,, i didnt have to pay a dog to bark for me !

this spouse visa i dont want any hidden nasties the wifes going to pay for it - honestly she could afford to pay for 5 of them , we want to do all neat and simple away we go , but iam finding so much scare mongering and miss information from the scamming mara agents in Australia ) that i am just a tad frightened to try do it .Mara agents con men say to me you cant brreath without us send us our money all such rorts ive had a gut full of it !One told me i could never do a tourist visa for wife impossible he said, send us $1000 he said -- thats amazing ive done two so far i could do them in my sleep !

Iam not doing another trip there to be mucked around , stand in the cue like a sheep take yu ticket we be in touch next month etc etc)) we just want to get going you know !

Stevo

Stevo. You should start your own thread/topic for this one mate

Stevo

You dont need a migration agent,easy enough to do yourself.I did my wifes about 18 months ago and there was no problems,just the 8 month wait.The $6800 cost is a rip off but what can you do.If you can do a tourist visa yourself you can certainly do a spouse visa yourself.

Stevo

As said above, so long as you're comfortable with filling out forms, no need for a migrant agent as the requirements / process is provided by Immigration; URLs below.

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/309-

https://www.border.gov.au/Forms/Documents/1127.pdf